• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

Wallach

To me, this really says a lot about Microsoft in this market. In this case, the people that were negatively impacted by this decision were not just all of the fans that support them, but the entire team at Bungie who worked as hard as they did. Didn't matter, apparently - so long as benefitted them in some fashion, that was enough.

I realize I don't play my consoles that much anyway, but I don't see myself supporting them in the future. My condolences to the guys at Bungie who have to sit and watch this happen.

Sai-kun

Banned
StormyTheRabbit said:
...No shit. And obviously something at the Nintendo or Sony conference, BEFORE THEY WERE GOING TO UNVEIL THE GAME, something was shown that Microsoft didn't want to be compared or whatever to the new game and now they are regrouping to decide when to show it.

Stop saying "LOL ITS CUZ DA GAME BE LOOKIN LIKE SHEEEEIIIIIIT" as you don't know anything about it.

You rock at editing fail out

Proelite

sonicmj1 said:
Did the sarcasm detector store near your house go out of business or something?

You know you can purchase those things online.

sonicmj1 said:

Ah yes, because sarcasm can EASILY be seen in writing.

Sai-kun said:
You rock at editing fail out
? Thought you were serious with that thing, then I remembered the letter generator so I took it out. I'll happily put it back if you'll sleep better at night.

Proelite

Wallach said:
To me, this really says a lot about Microsoft in this market. In this case, the people that were negatively impacted by this decision were not just all of the fans that support them, but the entire team at Bungie who worked as hard as they did. Didn't matter, apparently - so long as benefitted them in some fashion, that was enough.

I realize I don't play my consoles that much anyway, but I don't see myself supporting them in the future. My condolences to the guys at Bungie who have to sit and watch this happen.

To me, it's the simple theory of every company are assholes at the top and extremely nice guys when they're losing. Just look at Nintendo and Sony. Never pick the winning team. :D

Sai-kun

Banned
StormyTheRabbit said:

? Thought you were serious with that thing, then I remembered the letter generator so I took it out. I'll happily put it back if you'll sleep better at night.

xd it can be easily seen when it's...so...obvious.

Wow... Was waiting to post icalledit.gif and everything...

But they DID go to the normal homepage and post a news item detailing the events like I said would happen if it were true!

v6reas.gif

I CALLED IT!

Icalledit.gif

WOO! WOO!

:,(

DeadFalling said:
Wow... Was waiting to post icalledit.gif and everything...

But they DID go to the normal homepage and post a news item detailing the events like I said would happen if it were true!

v6reas.gif

I CALLED IT!

Icalledit.gif

WOO! WOO!

:,(
If their was ever an instance of extremely poor timing and taste on GAF, this is it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
SantaC said:
35 pages for a bungie annoucement? I must be the only one that dont see the hype with this developer.

There's so much hype because Bungie has been working on Halo for almost 10 years and now its time for them to show something new. (Or not according Mattrick)

sonicmj1

StormyTheRabbit said:
Just trying to help is all.

At first, I was convinced it was all part of some greater master plan, and a hopelessly optimistic part of me still believes it, in the face of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. But it seems like that isn't the case.

It's a dick move on Microsoft's part to wait until the last possible moment to derail the hype train. I have a ton of respect for Bungie, and few developers do as good a job of reaching out to their fans and communicating with them. Still, it's not going to make the game take any longer or anything, it just means we'll hear about it later. And while that's annoying, and quite a bit of a letdown at a conference that has so far been full of such disappointments, it's not the end of the world.

I appreciate that Bungie was willing to give some kind of explanation (even if it's just passing the buck), and their recent article on the subject helped a lot to allay my concerns.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
the backlash is going to continue to be huge and Microsoft will relent like they often do. they will realize this was a mistake and the announcement will be made sooner rather than later. at least that's the logical view...

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
SantaC said:
35 pages for a bungie annoucement? I must be the only one that dont see the hype with this developer.
Yeah, it's not like their games are popular or anything...

My take on it is that Microsoft feels they've won E3 and don't need another big announcment.

So they're going to save it for a future event. Perhaps they were expecting Sony to show something that they didn't. (The Agency???) Which they would counter with a similar title with the Halo IP attached. (Halo MMO FPS???) Whatever it is, clearly Microsoft seems to think that there's more to gain from saving this for later. But they'd better have a damn good reason.

open_mouth_ said:
the backlash is going to continue to be huge and Microsoft will relent like they often do. they will realize this was a mistake and the announcement will be made sooner rather than later. at least that's the logical view...

Hopefully this is the case.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm watching the Halo Wars demo too.
Jeeez, this game looks absolutely SICK.

If I'm not mistaken, they're playing campaign.
Why are the colors are on nearly everything off? :(

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
snack said:
Following in the steps of the great GhaleonEB, I have left the Xbox Ambassadors program.

In the eternal words of Ghaleon, Fuck 'em.
Wow, are you serious?

You explain to them your reasoning?

Just read this on gamesindustry.biz:

gamesindustry.biz said:
One thing's for sure - I for one wish Microsoft hadn't decided to pull the Halo-related Bungie announcement from its conference with just 24 hours to go because of a press leak. It deprived the week of a big cheer, when there seemed to be precious few to go around.

Bungie's announcement was pulled because of a press leak?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
StormyTheRabbit said:

Dude, you need to learn not to take the bait so easily. Chinner has been stirring the pot the entire time.

Cocopjojo said:
Wow, are you serious?

You explain to them your reasoning?
Yup. I told them I don't want to be associated with a company that treats it's partners like shit, nickels-and-dimes the consumer at any given opportunity, and sells faulty hardware.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
snack said:
Yup. I told them I don't want to be associated with a company that treats it's partners like shit, nickels-and-dimes the consumer at any given opportunity, and sells faulty hardware.
Major props, bro. You coming to PAX?

snack said:
Nice. Any response from them on it?

JdFoX187

Banned
I'm more of a Halo fan than a Bungie fan. In fact, many aspects of Halo 3 have made me question Bungie's decisions. This whole thing just plain stinks for everyone involved. Bungie, as a company, is being immature by the letter blaming their publisher. I don't know the circumstances, so I can't really comment on Microsoft's doing. Yeah, they can be portrayed as the big bad wolf in this whole thing. And if they maliciously did it, they should be. But not knowing the facts surrounding it, there's nothing to say. And it sucks for gamers and fans.

But some of you guys are taking this thing ENTIRELY too seriously. Okay, you guys were hyped by a countdown. It's your own fault for getting so hyped. I learned last year with the Beta, don't get hyped for these things. Delays are normal in the gaming world and announcement delays should be no different.

Oh yeah, let's compare this to Watergate because the Microsoft delaying a game announcement is right up there with the president tampering with the national election. And any game journalist who "has the balls" to break this would probably be ostracised from the industry. That's all fine and dandy to fanboys who will pick up signs and pickets, but it doesn't mean shit when they start losing support from publishers. Hey, that's how the world works.

If one thing has been revealed in this thread, people need to reassess their priorities.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
JdFoX187 said:
Oh yeah, let's compare this to Watergate because the Microsoft delaying a game announcement is right up there with the president tampering with the national election.
Someone compared this to Watergate? lol

... ;-(

Fuck MS, or EA... hell, fuck em both.

What kind of decision making process involves planning a big reveal, teasing the fans and then pulling the plug on the whole thing?

What possible reason could there be for canceling the announcement?

Cocopjojo said:
Major props, bro. You coming to PAX?
I'd love to, but I am on the east coast, and I'm only sixteen. In other terms, their is no chance in hell my parents would allow me to miss school for a gaming convention, let alone come with me and pay for it. :D
MaritalWheat said:
Nice. Any response from them on it?
I posted it on the Xbox Ambassadors Forum, thread was locked instantly, followed by a removal of my Ambassador status and access to the Ambassador forum.

JdFoX187 said:
Oh yeah, let's compare this to Watergate because the Microsoft delaying a game announcement is right up there with the president tampering with the national election.
:lol
This got compared to Watergate? Damn, I missed that. Well, again I say look at the FF13 threads, this is tame by comparison. At least people were being sensible earlier.

MaritalWheat said:
:lol
This got compared to Watergate? Damn, I missed that. Well, again I say look at the FF13 threads, this is tame by comparison. At least people were being sensible earlier.
I can't believe someone compared Watergate to this. Watergate ain't got shit on this.

Sarcasm, for the sarcastically-challenged

Proelite

snack said:

Business is business. You shouldn't be associating with any company if you can't put up with reality.

EazyB

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
I'm more of a Halo fan than a Bungie fan. In fact, many aspects of Halo 3 have made me question Bungie's decisions. This whole thing just plain stinks for everyone involved. Bungie, as a company, is being immature by the letter blaming their publisher. I don't know the circumstances, so I can't really comment on Microsoft's doing. Yeah, they can be portrayed as the big bad wolf in this whole thing. And if they maliciously did it, they should be. But not knowing the facts surrounding it, there's nothing to say. And it sucks for gamers and fans.
This makes less sense then you're outlandish AR talk.

FrankT

We expect an exciting press conference this Monday from Microsoft at E3. There are plenty of rumors out there, so we’ll try to only report the ones we feel are credible. The biggest rumor we expect is the announcement of Halo 4. Word on the street is that the game will NOT feature Master Chief as the main character. If this is true, it could possibly hurt the franchise. I just hope the lead character will be up to snuff.

http://kezins.com/2008/07/e3-microsoft-press-conference-expectations-rumors/1872

This one, but I cannot find the original sourcing that was posted to gaf yet with search offline.

Elixtar

artredis1980 said:
yes it is, but you dont do it unless it looks like shit. and bungie blaming the publisher (MS) is just childish, thats all im saying. MS has NEVER said Bungie screwed up because they know the fans will be pissed at that, but i guess its popular for bungie to say that because its a cool thing to do

Because Bungie has a history of making games that look like shit. Like Halo, Myth, Marathon, right?

Top Bottom