• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bunheads S1 - Created by Amy Sherman-Palladino, Starring Sutton Foster & Kelly Bishop

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

Kate Aurthur/Buzzfeed: In The End, “Bunheads” Was Too Good For This World And Has Been Canceled

If your standards for plot are Game of Thrones or Homeland, not that much happened on Bunheads. Yet if you value the pleasures of watching someone rebuild her life and screw it up again sometimes, all while talking very quickly, then every episode of Bunheads was the Red Wedding of witty, warm, quirky emotional connection.

In one of our brief email exchanges, one of which I published (“‘Bunheads’ Creator On Show’s Limbo: “It’s A Little Heartbreaking To Me”) I told Sherman-Palladino that I would keep poking ABC Family for news, since she seemed convinced the channel would never finalize the show’s fate. She responded: “Yes. Bug them. T.P. their cars and cellophane their toilet seats. Unless they pick us up, then buy them a puppy.

“My money’s on the cellophane.”

Goodbye, Bunheads. Many of us loved you.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
RIP. :(

Man, you can't even really recommend this show as something you can watch down the line like Terriers, when you consider the ending. That's the real tragedy.

r1chard

dammit

wish they could've known so they could put in a nicer wrap up line they did for Wonderfalls (even though it was sudden and odd it was a much better way to wrap up the short lived show)

anaron

What bugs me the most though is what is now the series finale. . I thought "Next!" was an amazing episode of TV and perhaps Bunheads' strongest. But Ginny's boy trouble being the final sort of summation of the show doesn't feel at all right.

Makin Whoopee IS an incredible sequence though, so it definitely goes out on a high note but still, :(

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That sucks. I would complain more, but at least ABC Family is being a bit consistent. Knowing that The Lying Game got cancelled as well at least shows that they're trimming fat. The benchmarks of success aren't exactly sky high on ABC Family, although it's getting tougher.

I'm guessing ABC Family just wants to throw some more ideas at the wall and see if they can build more shows like Pretty Little Liars and Twisted, which both do really well in their key demos. If Twisted would have tanked this summer, Bunheads probably would have gotten a second chance. I wish I could be more mad, but the two shows they premiered since Bunheads finale have done better, it's not too shocking they want to go in a different direction.

I don't even know if I'd get my hopes up about somebody else taking it. ABC Family skews heavily towards women and younger millenials. I'm having a hard time thinking of another network that could make this ballerina show work.

In a dream world, I'd say Hulu could give it a try. They've been trying to get some original content with very middling success. This would be the best thing they could get by a country mile. Amazon Instant is another one, I believe they already have a streaming deal with them to begin with.

What kind of a cunt do you have to be to cancel this show? I fell in love with all four of those girls, nearly four Rory's. Somebody please save this show.

I don't watch this show but I loved Gilmore Girls and my wife is heartbroken. The show seemed pretty decent.

WTF is wrong with the world..

anaron

It's such a rarity to have such a female dominated cast in well, anything. Bunheads was the rare exception and it's certainly a big blow to lose this type of show.

I'm just glad Orange is the new Black exists to fill that gap.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I know. And it hurts my soul!

I thought bunheads was doing decently for an ABC family show.

Not really. Especially not compared to Secret Life before it ended, or The Fosters, or Twisted, or Switched at Birth, and especially not Pretty Little Liars. I think even The Lying Game got better ratings, and they cancelled that as well.

There is always hope one of the streaming subscription companies will snag it. Cheap cast, most of the younger ones should be over 18 by now so filming is way more flexible, cheap sets, critically acclaimed creator, well received with critics. I don't know if Netflix would be interested since they're pretty focused on strict dramas. But I could definitely see Hulu or Amazon Prime going for it. They both are dying to get original content so they can stop getting gouged by production companies.

Streaming is basically its only hope. Nobody else is going to want it. If it didn't survive on ABC Family, it wouldn't do well anywhere else. That is the network for millennial females. Bunheads is too youth oriented for Lifetime, not enough sex appeal for MTV, too much sex appeal for Disney.

daffy

Banned
Surprised at the shock of this getting cancelled. It was struggling for the majority of its airing I thought... I miss it too :(

Yo remember Istanbul not Constantinople. So good

Peru

Fuuuuuck.

I still don't get why in this day and age there's no content provider that can make this show happen.

anaron

Fuuuuuck.

I still don't get why in this day and age there's no content provider that can make this show happen.
Shit sucks.

The show could easily find an audience too if the expectations for immediate success were lowered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom