• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
With Kylo being a Skywalker and Solo, I think it'd be pretty cool for her to be a Skywalker and Kenobi.

Her just being a Skywalker wouldn't be a surprise since everyone thinks that's gonna happen, but if she is a Kenobi, her parentage can still be a twist while making her Luke's daughter.

Give me Rey Skynobi or give me death.

Maybe Ben's daughter was Mara Jade and that's the megaton for the next movie.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ed: new page

It makes no sense for her being Han/Leia's daughter at all considering she got dumped on Jakku.

Luke has fled/is hidding/is hunted down, so it would make more sense for him to have to leave her behind for X reason.

Seriously at this point it's pretty much either she's Luke's daughter, or some nobody (unlikely).

Jakku has some importance in all this: it had force-church-people who knew where Luke was (sort of), it was pretty much the last bastion of the Empire, and held a secret research base and weapons facility for the empire.

The scavenging outpost was built there after the battle, to scavenge stuff from the war's wreckage. So that means when Rey was brought there, or born there, the outpost was very new or didn't yet exist.

So one could guess that Rey's parents/mother/guardians could have been from the church-people village. They clearly have some relation to Luke if they had a map of his whereabouts after he decided to go into exile, so it's likely that Luke had been on Jakku at some point and again before leaving (and as far as we know Rey NEVER left Jakku prior to TFA, as hinted at in TFA, and Maz saying Luke can come back in Rey's life sort of indicates Luke was part of her life before).

Connect the dots: Luke seeks and meets the force-church people as he's trying to recreate his Jedi order, has a relationship with one of them, and she eventually leaves the village and then abandons the kid in exchange for a ticket out of Jakku. Why leave the church and why leave the planet, who knows.

So the timeline would be something like:

1- Force-church people settle on Jakku after Ep III hiding from the empire.
2- Battle of Jakku after Ep VI.
3- Scavenging outpost created.
4- Luke searching to start his new Jedi order meets people on Jakku, impregnates one of them.
5- Rey's mother leaves the church, Rey is born.
6- Around six years later Rey is dumped to Unkar at the outpost by the mom.
7- Around 15 years later Ben is trained by Luke, goes evil and massacres Luke's followers, Luke goes into exile.

There's the possibility that having a child was seen as big mistake by Luke almost right away when he impregnated someone or that person herself got freaked out having Vader's grandchild (like having Satan's spawn, or maybe she was picked on by some of the church people who thought her child would be evil, whatever), and this triggered his abandonment of the woman and child early on or her abandoning the church and Luke. Him seeking the first temple might have been an attempt to figure out how to mend this conflict in himself.

So in Ep VIII Luke would be a damaged character, who felt conflicted about how to handle having a child and the possible impact of this considering his lineage, having caused his "wife" to feel betrayed or abandoned or freaked out, and eventually having lost any trace of her or the child before going into exile. Now his daughter has returned and he has to commit himself to try and mend this. There does seem to be a headstone where Luke is, and he seems pretty broken/stuck.

Something along those lines.

Surfinn

I'm going to be honest, I had to Google who the fuck that was and I only saw rogue one a week ago...

Are you saying that completely dropping the Ewan line would destroy the film for the amount of contribution he served to the plot?

It was a throw away line for fans, they could of just used Guiness lines but then fans would of complained "why not get Ewan to say that?" He played a liked character and played it well, why wouldn't they have him complete the Kenobi/Skywalker cycle of starting to learn to use the force for the next generation?

I dunno why people are so certain that it was a "throw away line". It could definitely go either way but there's no evidence to completely dismiss the possibility of it being done for a different reason.

Same way I was surprised as shit to see people jumping on the "Rey is not a Skywalker" conclusion once Bobby said Maz's statement in TFA invalidates the theory (hint: it does not).

Considering how purposefully vague EP7 is, I'm just shocked to read how certain people are about things that were intentionally left open ended.

Davide

There is absolutely nothing to back this up on screen and this is nothing but reaching. Both these two arcs take place within one year of each other as well.

The fact you the big revelation about the lead of the sequel trilogy revolve around a off-screen not even implied affair from animated series is just beyond absurd. They aren't going to do something like that in the saga film.

They aren't going to tie Rey's origin to The Clone Wars. Absolutely no way whatsoever.
This.

sphinx

the piano man
those saying she's a Kenobi.

how would that enhance the script/story or make it more exciting?

Obi-wan died decades ago, what can his story-arc add to the last 2 episodes?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Obi-wan got shit done. Nobody else did. That explains why Rey's so amazing.

If you think a small role in a spin-off film is at all comparable to being a centerpiece to the twist of where the lead character of the trilogy came from then you have no idea what are you talking about.

They will keep the animated shows nowhere near the big story elements of the saga.

Rogue One isn't small nor is it a spin off. It isn't an Episode but that only means it doesn't center around Skywalkers. It literally depicts the events that lead into ANH.

It obviously doesn't carry the expectations of an Episode but let's not downplay it as if it's a Netflix series or something. It isn't a random character cash in film like the Han Solo feature either.

I'm going to be honest, I had to Google who the fuck that was and I only saw rogue one a week ago...

Are you saying that completely dropping the Ewan line would destroy the film for the amount of contribution he served to the plot?

It was a throw away line for fans, they could of just used Guiness lines but then fans would of complained "why not get Ewan to say that?" He played a liked character and played it well, why wouldn't they have him complete the Kenobi/Skywalker cycle of starting to learn to use the force for the next generation?

I'm not talking about the Ewan line at all. I have no idea why you're bringing the line up actually. Did you mix up posts?

frontieruk

Rogue One isn't small nor is it a spin off. It isn't an Episode but that only means it doesn't center around Skywalkers. It literally depicts the events that lead into ANH.

It obviously doesn't carry the expectations of an Episode but let's not downplay it as if it's a Netflix series or something. It isn't a random character cash in film like the Han Solo feature either.

I'm not talking about the Ewan line at all. I have no idea why you're bringing the line up actually. Did you mix up posts?

No you were claiming that fan service had been done in Rogue one and they may as well hadn't if I remember your post correctly? My point was would anyone of noticed if they had just run with Guiness lines from a new hope would anyone miss Ewan there? It was a fan service and as completely throw away as Saws appearance, it was just a nice Easter egg for fans.

I'm not sure why the rant on Rogue One btw I'm fully aware of the story my complaint actually followed yours in that I had no clue that Saw was someone important in the universe because I don't go outside the film's, though my understanding is he was important in TCW / Rebels?

He was shoved in just to be there by the looks of it, but as the film was rumoured to have a lot of issues in its making it could just be scenes were cut or they really didn't know how to get him into the film without the the route they went, I think it would of probably been a nice touch just dropping him out the film after collecting Jyn as a child, a nod to the fans he was involved, but the character not wasted which appears to be the online consensus.

And this is the difference between the film's there are expectations in the mainline, and if you look at the film with those expectations, aka lineage of the saber through Skywalker's, the implication that Rey is Luke's daughter from teaser two due to the cuts and vocal which you can't really argue if your claim of Ewan's line being there for a reason other than fan service why would they cut to Maz handing the saber to Rey during the Force is strong in my family speech? it's deliberate.

Edit just realised the rogue one stuff was meant for someone else but hey I clarified my point so I'll leave it.

JB1981

Figured it was worth posting this link, that the next movie will continue right where TFA left off with Luke and Rey's first meeting and will not time skip.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-8-luke-skywalker-rey-role/

Rian Johnson-

I don’t want to skip ahead two years. I want to see the very next moment of what happens… part of what’s she’s [Rey] dealing with is the realization that she has this power and this gift. She’s taking her first step to coming to terms with this thing inside her that she never knew was there and is just starting to reveal its potential.

No you were claiming that fan service had been done in Rogue one and they may as well hadn't if I remember your post correctly? My point was would anyone of noticed if they had just run with Guiness lines from a new hope would anyone miss Ewan there? It was a fan service and as completely throw away as Saws appearance, it was just a nice Easter egg for fans.

I'm not sure why the rant on Rogue One btw I'm fully aware of the story my complaint actually followed yours in that I had no clue that Saw was someone important in the universe because I don't go outside the film's, though my understanding is he was important in TCW / Rebels?

He was shoved in just to be there by the looks of it, but as the film was rumoured to have a lot of issues in its making it could just be scenes were cut or they really didn't know how to get him into the film without the the route they went, I think it would of probably been a nice touch just dropping him out the film after collecting Jyn as a child, a nod to the fans he was involved, but the character not wasted which appears to be the online consensus.

And this is the difference between the film's there are expectations in the mainline, and if you look at the film with those expectations, aka lineage of the saber through Skywalker's, the implication that Rey is Luke's daughter from teaser two due to the cuts and vocal which you can't really argue if your claim of Ewan's line being there for a reason other than fan service why would they cut to Maz handing the saber to Rey during the Force is strong in my family speech? it's deliberate.

Edit just realised the rogue one stuff was meant for someone else but hey I clarified my point so I'll leave it.

I was responding to the claim that "no studio would put a character in from TCW" with the fact they put Saw in Rogue One. Originally, it seems he had a larger role in the storyline but most of that got left on the floor during the final edit. What we ended up with really didn't end up being meaningful to the story, but they left him in anyways. There really was no reason to do that other than being a nod to the fans who have seen TCW and/or Rebels. So there's precedent to having characters that originate from those shows show up in the movies.

As for the teaser, that isn't strong evidence as it's common for teasers to contain stuff that has nothing to do with the final movie. This is common practice in Hollywood and was present most obviously in Rogue One trailers as well. Even if Rey turns out to be Luke's daughter, I wouldn't cite the trailer as a strong clue.

Maz' speeches to Rey that are in the movie are different. They're vague and I think they could go either way but they could be legitimately cited since they're in the final cut.

Now to be honest, I think Ewan being brought in to record that line is meaningful because it isn't immediately obvious. It's not the same kind of nod as say, C3PO and R2 showing up in damn near everything (lol). It's subtle enough that I think it's a hint of greater significance.

I was on the Grandma Satine, Grandpa Obi-Wan idea for awhile but still it leads to too many questions and issues that would require a lot of back tracking to explain.

Beat ya to it weeks ago!
Come on now, that's been a theory for years at this point.

There's also the ridiculous Rey is Shmi time loop that's lead tot he Skywalker men having a strong Oedipus complex that I put too much time into elaborating on... >_>

I think she's just someone who got abandoned on Jakku by her shitty parents.

I think she was abandoned/hidden out of desperation to hide her from probably Snoke and those who did it ended up getting killed (or suicided) soon after and Rey was lost.

I still want a good reason why Luke hasn't cleaned up his mess.

He should leagues stronger than Kylo and probably a level above Emperor/Vader at this point.

Because if he fixed everything the Status quo wouldn't be nearly identical ANH, and we can't have story and character progression in 30 years, because reasons.

Or Luke's just a dick.

Figured it was worth posting this link, that the next movie will continue right where TFA left off with Luke and Rey's first meeting and will not time skip.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-8-luke-skywalker-rey-role/

Rian Johnson-

Booo...

I knew this already, but having a time skip is tradition. Hopefully the film will at least take place over more than a few days. I mean, TFA by itself took place over what, 2-3 days? It kinda had to right, I don't think there is any way to weasel out of the elapsed time like one could in Empire. If VIII follows suit, color me disappointed. It's a lot less epic when 2/3rds of your trilogy takes place over a month or two as opposed to years.

Wolfe

Pretty much.

Besides, if she's 19 in TFA (from what I can find online) then that would mean she was born well after Ben died...

If that bit has been explained already I would love to hear how it works lol.

Edit: ugh, SW wiki already lists her as "Rey Kenobi" lol.

FeD.nL

For me personally it would make the story a lot more exciting. Not gonna talk about clues and theories, just purely why I think it makes the story more exciting.

First of all I think the dynamic of Luke getting his saber back from a Kenobi and him being the teacher this time would be perfect. The idea of that also makes me very excited for the moment when she meets her grandfather through the force for the first time. It in turn creates a wonderful mirror with Kylo/Ben, who is trying to talk to his grandfather but can't. For Luke it would mean he gets to train, look after and care for the granddaughter of the man that meant so much to him, and gave his life for him. It would be fitting that his last deed in life would be to do the same for Rey.

Secondly I like the idea of the grandson of Vader against the granddaughter of Obi-Wan more than the son of Leia against the daughter of Luke. Like how much are you going to makes these character suffer. Luke finally reuniting with Leia finally only to tell her, "hey sis, I know you met her already but this is my daughter and I'm training her to defeat your vader-wannabe son.".

Finally it would fit the character of Luke better if she's not his daughter. Like this is the man who nearly gave his life to turn his father back to the light. Who has seen his nephew struggle with the pull of both the light and dark side. I just don't think it's something Luke would do. If Leia was able to sense Snoke influencing Ben, Luke absolutely must have. And during all of that he would father a child? I just don't see that happening, or I would be disappointed if it would because it would kill a lot of the character development he had during the OT.

Surfinn

If Rey is Kenobi's grandchild.. seems like they'd have to run into a convoluted explanation as to how it came to be. We'd have to understand why he broke his Jedi vows (if they wanna go the PT route) and fell in love/hand kids, who his WIFE/lover was, and how they allowed (or caused) her to get to Jakku.... and who their kids were (who her parents are). That's a lot of completely new information that fills in Rey's background story. I mean I'm thinking of the reveal scene from Spaceballs here.

I dunno, that seems like a pretty murky path to me. Luke seems much more likely to have fallen in love/had a kid with someone as he wasn't raised under the strict codes of the Jedi and paved his own path. I mean shit we see him force choke people in Jedi so clearly he's not running a whole lot of parallels with them. It also seems like an easier story to tell in regard to how she got to Jakku. But that's just me.

Wolfe

If Rey is Kenobi's grandchild.. seems like they'd have to run into a convoluted explanation as to how it came to be. We'd have to understand why he broke his Jedi vows (if they wanna go the PT route) and fell in love/hand kids, who his WIFE/lover was, and how they allowed (or caused) her to get to Jakku.... and who their kids were (who her parents are). That's a lot of completely new information that fills in Rey's background story. I mean I'm thinking of the reveal scene from Spaceballs here.

I dunno, that seems like a pretty murky path to me. Luke seems much more likely to have fallen in love/had a kid with someone as he wasn't raised under the strict codes of the Jedi and paved his own path. I mean she we see him force choke people in Jedi so clearly he's not running a whole lot of parallels with them. It also seems like an easier story to tell in regard to how she got to Jakku. But that's just me.

Yeah the Kenobi angle doesn't seem like it would work without a lot of extra explanation.

Surfinn

Yeah the Kenobi angle doesn't seem like it would work without a lot of extra explanation.

You could run with the "but they've got two films to explain it" too.. but the question isn't how much time there is but rather is it worth the time explaining it all? The OT successfully incorporated simple surprises (I am your father, There is another). It seems like the probability of there being a ridiculously convoluted explanation would be high. Very high.

It wouldn't take more than 5 minutes of screen time.

Rey meets ghost Obi-Wan on Ach-To because Luke obviously has his own little advisory council made up of Obi-Wan and puppet Yoda. Obi-Wan tells her he had a short lived romance after the fall of the Jedi and that when his lover got pregnant, he realized his presence would be a danger so to protect them he went full hermit. His child then went on to have a daughter, and she is Rey. Grandma isn't important, and all Rey wants to know is what happened to her parents so she asks Grandpa. Force flashback of them fleeing to protect their daughter from Snoke and dying heroically at the hands of Kylo Ren. Cue sadness and instant personal reason to oppose Snoke. Resume movie as normal. Forge surrogate father relationship with Luke. End movie.

Simple, clean, maybe a tad generic. Could also easily apply to her parents regardless of Kenobi lineage. Could even apply to Luke.

fisheyes

I'm not necessarily saying she will be a Kenobi, but it could add to the saga as a whole (and therefore Lucasfilm / Disney's pockets) because you've then got a whole bunch of potential stories to be told about Obi Wan and the mother. The potential for Obi-Wan between-PT-and-OT stories with Ewan McGregor as Ben is already there, but you could use one of his movies to establish the mother character, then have 1 or more movies about what the mother is doing during the events of the OT. And we all know the idea of revisiting the OT era again would be incredibly appealing to those in charge.

Hell, you could even run a trilogy of Mother Kenobi movies set during the PT era.

The story of Skywalker and Kenobi (PT Trilogy)
v
The story of Skywalker (OT) AND the story of Kenobi ("Mother" trilogy)
v
The story of Skywalker and Kenobi (NT)

On that basis alone I could see it happening

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm #TeamKenobi. I think when Daisy thought it was obvious, she was probably talking about Obi-Wan talking to her specifically.

- British accent (yeah, IRL it's learned not genetic, in case she's never met him, but I doubt that's a technicality that exists in fiction; this sounds like a fluff point but I really think it's one of the bigger cues)
- The clearest and only new and direct piece of dialogue in the vision is by Obi-Wan, to her
- Teaches herself the Jedi Mind Trick, which is most strongly associated with Obi-Wan in the franchise
- Robing is highly evocative of Obi-Wan's garb

That's enough to hint at it significantly without outright giving it away.

Additionally, although these hold little weight:
- I think Kylo being named after Obi-Wan has a bit more weight to it than his parents thinking it's a good idea and hoping to model him after one of the most storied Jedi
- JJ's now-clarified "Rey's parents are not in Episode 7"
- RUMOUR of
the franchise not being done with Obi-Wan.
- "SW is a Skywalker story" -> In Kylo's bloodline already, and they don't necessarily need two Skywalkers again to keep the Skywalker story going
- The whole exile and loneliness parallel
- The Luke thing would be too stupidly obvious and bring little fun to the greatest mystery in the sequel trilogy thus far

And in general, makes for way more interesting dynamics with Luke and established Skywalker-Obi-Wan relationships. I think there's, of course, stuff working against this too, like the need to explain Obi-Wan's kids and where they were during (isolated as well? intentionally? Is Max Von Sydow's character his son who was safeguarding Rey like Obi-Wan did Luke? British accent as well.) the original trilogy, and how late McGregor's lines were recorded for VII (though they could have always planned to have Alec Guiness in there). They've planted seeds very cleverly and in just the right places to keep it ambiguous TBH.

Obi-wan got shit done. Nobody else did. That explains why Rey's so amazing.
Actual most convincing evidence right here TBH. Kenobis are the true MVPs.

She's either a Kenobi or a nobody (if we are to put stock into Maz' comments).

Darkgran

Sorry to bump this but has there been any theories that Leia is her Mom but Han isn't her Dad.

Maybe that's why she got dump off on Jakku because Leia was hiding her?

Maybe?

In a sudden twist one of her parents is actually a random alien (maybe a wookie?), and the other a random lady...

Anyway I'm pretty sure we didn't get a good idea about Rey's parentage in TFA, or maybe I missed something. Another rewatch is in order I suppose.

In a sudden twist one of her parents is actually a random alien (maybe a wookie?), and the other a random lady...

Anyway I'm pretty sure we didn't get a good idea about Rey's parentage in TFA, or maybe I missed something. Another rewatch is in order I suppose.

I rewatched it recently and I can't figure it out.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Kenobi makes the most sense based on what we see of Ray on screen.

I also like the idea of Max von Sydow's character being related to that lineage. It would make his exchange with Kylo more than just a ripoff of the Vader/Obi Wan dialogue from ANH.

Sorry to bump this but has there been any theories that Leia is her Mom but Han isn't her Dad.

Maybe?

Yeah I've been saying that since day one. Logically it fits in to everything.Brother vs sister battle in the end is far more powerful than cousins. I'd prefer she be a nobody though.

Matt

Maybe?
That really doesn't make any sense, and makes both Leia and Han look like monsters.

I thought she was a spontaneous midichlorian child.

Yep. Or later on she got into an accident, needed a blood transfusion. Turns out the blood package they used was labeled as "yo da good blood in here" but it was just a prank bro and actually read "Yoda's blood". Those jakku galactic internet pranksters at it again.

Meowster

I thought she was a spontaneous midichlorian child.
My favorite theory I read on the internet was the one where they took the cells of Luke's severed hand and forcified them into sex cells. Because Force. Or the one where Rey is the reincarnation of Shmi Skywalker. Lots of fun with this twist.

I really would like her to somehow be a Kenobi, that would be something else. One thing ois for sure.

Luke has no idea who she is at the start of 8. If you watch all recent interviews, its been said by Daisy.

So what does that mean? Luke has no idea who she is. And obviously doesn't really want tot train her, or is apprehensive.

I really would like her to somehow be a Kenobi, that would be something else. One thing ois for sure.

Luke has no idea who she is at the start of 8. If you watch all recent interviews, its been said by Daisy.

So what does that mean? Luke has no idea who she is. And obviously doesn't really want tot train her, or is apprehensive.

*Clears throat*...

red+herring.png

She's not Luke's daughter. She was well aware she was being abandoned on Jakku. She cried. You think she WOULDN'T remember Luke is her dad? Come on.

She's not Obi-Wan's daughter. That makes absolutely no sense. Same for Han/Leia.

So, in my mind:

A: Palpatine's offspring
B: Snoke's Offspring
C: Anakin reincarnated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom