• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout Paradise Demo Now Available: Official Thread Of Impressions And Percentages

One week gold exclusivity!

angrydogiw3.png

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
lockload said:
Being able to invlite friends that are in other 360 games and on the dashboard is enough for me to pickup the 360 version

Many PS3 games allow to send invites to people in other games or in the XMB. I dont see why BP wouldn't allow that as well.

Wow, played for about a minute and what else is there to say? I have been hearing people hype this game up, and it really looks like it will live up to it. I probably haven't been following it as closely as I should have, but I remember hearing Shane say something like the jump in and out of online races on the PS3 was superior to the 360. Is that still true?

It looks amazing, runs really smooth so far, the rippling of the metal when you get into a head on collision! AMAZING!

Anyone wanna play? I just used the D pad to do the online options and it has to be the best online integration in a game ever.

cedric69

TTP said:
Many PS3 games allow to send invites to people in other games or in the XMB. I dont see why BP wouldn't allow that as well.
Sure, but if the game plays and look the same, quite frankly, there's no amount of denial that can negate the superior integration of Live experience in this regard.

Rowsdower

FilosopherStoner said:
... but I remember hearing Shane say something like the jump in and out of online races on the PS3 was superior to the 360. Is that still true?

If my memory doesn't fail me, they said on 1up Yours that the online system is completely the same on both platforms.

FilosopherStoner said:
Wow, played for about a minute and what else is there to say? I have been hearing people hype this game up, and it really looks like it will live up to it. I probably haven't been following it as closely as I should have, but I remember hearing Shane say something like the jump in and out of online races on the PS3 was superior to the 360. Is that still true?
He retracted that last week.

squicken

AniHawk said:
You can crash cars to get points like in the other Burnout games right?

Nope. Only banana peels and turtle shells get you the points ;) *

*Not a troll. Mario Kart NES is my favorite game all time. After the shitty Mario Kart 64, I didn't play another racing game until Burnout 3 brought me back to the genre.

100% Time to play! The download speeds were awesome. Thank God the cheapskates are on the sidelines for this one.

Gowans

yeah its really shitty for silver members, you would thing EA would want there demo to go to as many people as possible too.

Could you guys not use a 48 hour trial you might have laying around?

OverHeat

« generous god »
Took me 10 min to download the demo!!!!! Not bad at all.

Im starting to love that Silver user cant download the demo's at release.

nesmar said:
sweet, right after i get the RROD :l

If it makes you feel any better, when I went to download the demo, I discovered my 360 could no longer read discs. Now I can't play anything BUT the demo!

O. Henry style.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
93% in an hour... which doesn't make any sense. I'm on 2 megabits per second, which is 200 kilobytes per second, which equals 12 megabytes a minute. Times that by 60, and in an hour I should get 720 megabytes downloaded, but 93% of 835 is 776.55.

Oh, well, I'm not complaining.

Gowans007 said:
yeah its really shitty for silver members, you would thing EA would want there demo to go to as many people as possible too.

Could you guys not use a 48 hour trial you might have laying around?

48hr Gold Trials are, infact, not real gold, but fools gold. They give Silver users the temporary ability to play online but any other gold-exclusive feature is out of reach.

I am actually on a Gold Trial right now (my cousin finally fixed his router so we can play on Live together - I have quite a few gold trials stashed away) and both Frontlines and Paradise still moan at me for being a Silver member. Nor can I download the Phantasy Star Universe demo for the same reason.

If I could waste a Gold Trial to download this demo? I would in a heartbeat.

Major Nelson!
damnyouor9.gif

Xun

I still have the one month free trial for Live I got, will that let me download the demo?

Also how is Showtime? Assuming it's in the demo.

burgerdog

Just tried online mode, oh my god. This is fucking batshit insane fun. I didn't experience any lag and the fps was silky smooth throughout the whole game. This demo is going to tide me over for a long, long time. If anybody wants to get together and play, let me know, my gt is burgerdog99.

Ok me and 3 other people are all trying to jump off a 3 story parking garage to the roof on the other side of the street. I think I might have to buy this game.

Edit wholly shit I just did a barrel role through a billboard.

Mdk7

The_Dude said:
Damn, just found that I had a 48 hour trial, but it's not much good if I can't download with it. Bastards.
fuck that.
how long do we have to wait to get it as silver members? is the one week thing CONFIRMED?

Flock

oh man, i just finished playing galaxy for 7 hours and now i have to go play this demo for probably a few more hours.

my life, its so hard.

dk_

burgerdog said:
Just tried online mode, oh my god. This is fucking batshit insane fun. I didn't experience any lag and the fps was silky smooth throughout the whole game. This demo is going to tide me over for a long, long time. If anybody wants to get together and play, let me know, my gt is burgerdog99.
Please explain it to me. Can you just drive around without a real goal or is there a possibility to start races/events?

Spruchy

Wow the jumping from the parking garage to train station roof challenge is fucking awesome with 4 dudes in a room.

Mdk7 said:
fuck that.
how long do we have to wait to get it as silver members? is the one week thing CONFIRMED?

Yes, it was confirmed. Major Nelson posted it on his blog on Tuesday of last week as an "FYI". And I know it was a week to the day for Culdcept Saga to become available to Silver members.

The_Dude

Mdk7 said:
fuck that.
Unfortunately, yes. Unless Major Nelson puts up a post 'Just a reminder, Silver members now have to wait a month for free content. This isn't done to annoy Silver members, it's done to PISS YOU OFF UNTIL YOU BUY A GOLD ACCOUNT!'

Ashhong

cedric69 said:
Sure, but if the game plays and look the same, quite frankly, there's no amount of denial that can negate the superior integration of Live experience in this regard.

PSN experience in Burnout Paradise is actually superior to Live (I think). Couple taps of the D-pad and your online, whereas the 360 is the standard menu. I could be wrong, I've been out of it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Shit is this game fast. There seems to be only three events in the demo: stunt, race, time attack like. Won the last two. Failed at reaching the target point is stunts.

I love how everything is seamlessly integrated in the game, even the options. You are never taken out of the Paradise.

Game runs at 60fps 99,9% of the time. Some very little slowdowns barely noticeble. Crashes are impressive in presentation and deformation but I kinda like the old way of showing them. Paradise is more stylish for sure, but the camera cuts and zooms dont allow me to appreciate the whole crahs sequence in its uninterrupted integrity. Hard to describe. Still looks great and physics have weight.

Paradise map is huge.

Good stuff.

The_Dude said:
Unfortunately, yes. Unless Major Nelson puts up a post 'Just a reminder, Silver members now have to wait a month for free content. This isn't done to annoy Silver members, it's done to PISS YOU OFF UNTIL YOU BUY A GOLD ACCOUNT!'

A week you mean

Ashhong said:
PSN experience in Burnout Paradise is actually superior to Live (I think). Couple taps of the D-pad and your online, whereas the 360 is the standard menu. I could be wrong, I've been out of it.

Apparently they are exactly the same now according to 1up yours

Rowsdower

Ashhong said:

It's the same on 360 and PS3.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Ashhong said:
No, the 360 version has it in-game like the PS3 version.

I have the menu sitting in front of me now.

lockload

TTP said:

Cool i didnt know the PS3 allowed cross gmae invites, how does it work? Do you get a popup on screen in the game you are in..i though you couldnt see the xmb in game?

If this works i will happily buy more games for my PS3, its the one feature i cant really do without.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ashhong said:

no standard menu. You double tap here as well. Right to bring up the ingame friends list. Right again to invite/view profile chosen friend. It's all seamless. The only istance where it brings the balde in is when you select the profile. Shows the friend gamer card.

ah, didn't know game supports live camera. I sure hope the PS3 version supports the PS Eye as well. It's used to take photos for the driver license. In the demo.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
lockload said:
Cool i didnt know the PS3 allowed cross gmae invites, how does it work? Do you get a popup on screen in the game you are in..i though you couldnt see the xmb in game?

Yes, u see the pop ups, but have to leave the game "manually" to accept them as there is no in-game XMB.

So I played for about half an hour.

It really is Test Drive: Burnout Unlimited. I'm not sure how many people can join a room, and lack of true persistent online is meh, but otherwise this is part and parcel the successor to TDU. Which is great because TDU was like the best fucking game of last year.

My complaints: The map sucks. It's either much better on HD or it's just bad. The signpost things shooould become better after playing for a while, but I never really got used to it either. Also the highway is barren, I assume that'll be fixed with the retail. And I never found a way to get challenges rolling while online either. If the game is split up between online/single player in that you can only do challenges for one while in it then... well you know... fuck that, that sucks ass.

The online part is such fun, just trying to one up each other's records. It's a pretty sweet addition to something I otherwise can't really distinguish from TDU. Also the camera is cute, I've already been shot the bird. Not having something similar to the headlight flash = custom race is really the only step back from TDU and the rest reeks of Burnout fun.

To Summarize: Seems awesome, assuming the "proper" multiplayer aspects are there and just not transparent enough for my idiot self to understand. And the radio DJ is already fucking annoying.

TTP said:
no standard menu. You double tap here as well. Right to bring up the ingame friends list. Right again to invite/view profile chosen friend. It's all seamless. The only istance where it brings the balde in is when you select the profile. Shows the friend gamer card.

ah, didn't know game supports live camera. I sure hope the PS3 version supports the PS Eye as well. It's used to take photos for the driver license. In the demo.

Both games support the camara as well!!

Only thing that sets them apart for me is the achievement points on 360 and the fact more of my friends will buy it on 360

Mdk7

Sega1991 said:
Yes, it was confirmed. Major Nelson posted it on his blog on Tuesday of last week as an "FYI". And I know it was a week to the day for Culdcept Saga to become available to Silver members.
thanks guys...
Well it's gonna be a damn long week, fuck.

Bring on some more impressions gold fellows, i'll read them with pleasure just for my extreme masochism! :lol

lockload

TTP said:
Yes, u see the pop ups, but have to leave the game "manually" to accept them as there is no in-game XMB.

Can you see what game the invite is for and who it is?

The last online enabled game i bough for ps3 was motorstorm im so out of touch with ps3 online

squicken

Yeah this game freaking rocks. There are only 3 events I believe in the demo. You just have to stumble across them and hold down the triggers to start the race. But for me, the fun stuff was jumping off of ramps and smashing through billboards. I think the best way to race with friends is something like "Okay, see that water tower to the north? First one there wins." Probably won't work in the demo as most of the city is blocked off with jersey barriers.

Smooth framerate as far as I could tell. Traffic seemed pretty light to me. Don't know if that's just the demo or maybe the section of the map. Hope it isn't indicative of the final product. I wish the mini map was more like Saints Row, where the map changed alignment around the direction you were facing.

Seriously, it is stupid to restrict Silver users. This isn't going to endear MS to anyone, and makes them look cheap and petty. I wonder how EA and Criterion feel about this policy?

Ashhong

TTP said:

Man, the thing about neogaf, is that you say one little wrong thing, and 3+ people post at the same time correcting you, making you feel 3x as stupid lol. At least you gave deeper explanations :lol

Now I do know the PS3 version supports the Eye. Not sure about the license, but it does that thing where it takes a snapshot after a Takedown so your opponents can see your reaction.

kitch9

Banned
Ashhong said:
My bad, it's cool they fixed it for 360. So then there is no advantage either way. Period.

Woah, hold on there buddy!! We haven't had the I've just stared at the same wall PS3, 360 comparisons yet.......

Good times......

Top Bottom