• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout Paradise Demo Now Available: Official Thread Of Impressions And Percentages

Dot50Cal said:
Erm, I meant I turned around and buildings were in the distance.

Anyway I think I found what was messing with my head. Seems the games 2D graphics (street names and all that) are rendered in 30FPS, while the game is 60. Just throws you off, seems really weird.

Sounds like you have uber vision or something!

I tried the game out for 20 minutes, drove around, crashed a lot, entered a few races. No slowdown here.

Anyone notice that they didn't include a driver model inside the car? Smash the wind shield and you are treated to an empty driver's seat. One of my more minor quibbles, but a quibble nonetheless.

sionyboy said:
I tried the game out for 20 minutes, drove around, crashed a lot, entered a few races. No slowdown here.

Anyone notice that they didn't include a driver model inside the car? Smash the wind shield and you are treated to an empty driver's seat. One of my more minor quibbles, but a quibble nonetheless.

Yep one of the things that jumped out at me straight away, reversing erm no driver in the car just seems a bit daft.

White Man

It's about what I expected, as in I'm not happy with the direction, really. I really liked Burnout Revenge/4, and this is pretty much the opposite direction.

I can see driving game peeps loving this though. It's very well done. I just like smashing cars up more than driving, and Burnout Revenge made me feel like a little kid.

Ok I'm done for the night. Challenges are fun but I came here to race. The fact that I have to find some random stop light to race is bullshit. As far as I know I'm not even sure if they included online racing in the demo. It's just mostly people goofing around. Someone needs to confirm they actually had a race online before I bother with it again.

McLovin

BradVanDam said:
so are you fucking kidding me if I fuck up a race everytime i have to drive for 3 minutes to re do the race?

EA Fucked this one up real good.

This would suck if true.. but I don't think its that big a deal.

DC R1D3R

Banned
I honestly haven't spotted one single framerate issue yet (maybe I'm not trying to look hard enough?).

Even though the hype for the Burnout series isn't anywhere near like it used to be, I'm sure Paradise will easily rank as one of the top 3 racers on the PS3.

IcebergSlim3000 said:
Ok I'm done for the night. Challenges are fun but I came here to race. The fact that I have to find some random stop light to race is bullshit. As far as I know I'm not even sure if they included online racing in the demo. It's just mostly people goofing around. Someone needs to confirm they actually had a race online before I bother with it again.

Shouldn't we be happy they even gave us an online demo? I mean come on, at least they let us see how the online integration works.

Are there going to be points at all in this game? I would like it much more if you could at least get some crash points, I thought previous games in the series did that.

About them not giving us online racing (so far it seems this way) in the demo, you gotta understand where they are coming from. I mean they gave us like 1/10th of the retail map it looks, can't give it all away in the demo. Also, the more I play the more cool little things I find.

Scotch

I was hoping this would be the first Burnout game to win me over, but it didn't. I just hate the handling of the cars in these games (and NFS as well). Like when you make a handbrake turn, and the car magically snaps back into a straight line or something, ugh. It just doesn't feel like driving a car at all. But yeah different strokes I guess. You gotta love the damage model and the smooth framerate, though.

Oh and, for the love of god, DON'T get Gold just for this demo, or MS wins.

White Man

DC R1D3R said:
I honestly haven't spotted one single framerate issue yet (maybe I'm not trying to look hard enough?).

Even though the hype for the Burnout series isn't anywhere near like it used to be, I'm sure Paradise will easily rank as one of the top 3 racers on the PS3.

I'm not terribly thrilled with the new direction, but this will be fun to tool around with in the slower months of the year. I think they did a good thing by bumping this to January. Otherwise I would have skipped it.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Shots:

CeUafLcZx.jpg

pmlhnSMQM.jpg

rOYqhErWC.jpg

vbmISOgeO.jpg

Looks like AA is turned off during takedowns, Motion Blur is added and its cut to 30FPS.

Scotch said:
I was hoping this would be the first Burnout game to win me over, but it didn't. I just hate the handling of the cars in these games (and NFS as well). Like when you make a handbrake turn, and the car magically snaps back into a straight line or something, ugh. It just doesn't feel like driving a car at all. But yeah different strokes I guess. You gotta love the damage model and the smooth framerate, though.

Oh and, for the love of god, DON'T get Gold just for this demo, or MS wins.

It isn't like this game is supposed to be a racing sim either. It is what it is, I would hate for a game like this to have ultra realistic handling. Not to mention when you have a buddy gunning for you at 120mph that e-break turn is a godsend. Anyone else have an amazing time hunting other players down, and having it keep score with rivalries? Oh damn this game is great.

P.S. MS won. :D

Scotch said:
After 5 minutes I already wanted to kill the radio DJ. Where does EA find these assholes?

"Hi! I'm DJ Atomica Poochie, the rocking dog. Let's get extreme to the max. NOT!"

Do EA realise that it is no longer 1995?

FilosopherStoner said:
Shouldn't we be happy they even gave us an online demo? I mean come on, at least they let us see how the online integration works.

Are there going to be points at all in this game? I would like it much more if you could at least get some crash points, I thought previous games in the series did that.

About them not giving us online racing (so far it seems this way) in the demo, you gotta understand where they are coming from. I mean they gave us like 1/10th of the retail map it looks, can't give it all away in the demo. Also, the more I play the more cool little things I find.

You make it sound as if there doing me a favor. Its there job to win me over not the other way around. This game can appeal to many different types of people. I like to race against other people online. Thats what hooks me. If your going to give me the option of playing online in your demo then you better damn well give me the option to start a basic damn race. You're basically saying asking for one race from point A to B is asking for to much. Yea lets see if you jump from that parking lot garage for the next month. Doubt it.

Dabanton

'Playing' it as i type well watching my car in the middle of the road while traffic tries to avoid it it's alright, the online portion of the game is well handled.

No driver model is a weird oversight though as you can see right into the car.

IcebergSlim3000 said:
You make it sound as if there doing me a favor. Its there job to win me over not the other way around. This game can appeal to many different types of people. I like to race against other people online. Thats what hooks me. If your going to give me the option of playing online in your demo then you better damn well give me the option to start a basic damn race. You're basically saying asking for one race from point A to B is asking for to much. Yea lets see if you jump from that parking lot garage for the next month. Doubt it.

I'm not really trying to argue with you dude. They gave us PLENTY in the demo, racing offline, and even a taste of online (which is great fun). I think we as gamers should be happy they even give us a taste of the game. The value of free demos is for another thread. I guess some people will just never be happy.

FilosopherStoner said:
I'm not really trying to argue with you dude. They gave us PLENTY in the demo, racing offline, and even a taste of online (which is great fun). I think we as gamers should be happy they even give us a taste of the game. The value of free demos is for another thread. I guess some people will just never be happy.
What? I don't see how it's possible to argue that there's too much to this demo. The segment of the island they let you run on is miniscule and no online challenges is just... confusing.

Son of Godzilla said:
What? I don't see how it's possible to argue that there's too much to this demo. The segment of the island they let you run on is miniscule and no online challenges is just... confusing.

Jesus, I must be way off here I guess. My expectations must be too low for demos. Wouldn't you say they give you about 1/10th of the map? I wouldn't expect much more than that.

Now I see how they handle the score thing, you start the event and try to get a high score. I could see this working really well with the entire map and a bunch of these spots. Hopefully the final game has them all enabled online also. Call me crazy but I though the demo overall was great, and I am still having a blast with it.

Rowsdower

Holy crap me and two other guys just tried the team barrel roll challenge, finally nailed it after 20 mins. Those were the best 20 mins of online gaming i've had in a while, i was in tears of laughter. So hilarious, so awesome.

No, I wouldn't say anywhere near 1/10th. From the map screen I'd say it's a bit under 1/20th. And again, I'm not sure what to think of the online mode. If it's capped at 4 players for the entire map... that's downright shitty.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Scotch said:
After 5 minutes I already wanted to kill the radio DJ. Where does EA find these assholes?
It's the same DJ from the SSX series, and it was Criterion's decision to use him, not EA.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Having a lot of fun, but I hope events are intergrated well. It seems like it'd be really random, I found it hard to figure out where events were in the demo with everything locked

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyway I think I found what was messing with my head. Seems the games 2D graphics (street names and all that) are rendered in 30FPS, while the game is 60. Just throws you off, seems really weird.
Seriously? They pulled that same shit with Forza 2 (30 fps HUD). It just looks bad and there is no reason for it.

Can't wait to play it, though.

TimeKillr

Ashhong said:
A game like burnout for some reason just works with the D-Pad. maybe its because you're going too fast and you tend to overcompensate when you use the analog stick. at least thats how i am.

I'm that way in Burnout... I can't play with the analog sticks.

The d-pad lets me perfectly control drifts using small taps to quickly get back into position.

Impressions seem a bit mixed so far. I'm still super hyped. I haven't played a racing game in a while and I love the arcadey goodness of Burnout.

I'm glad I'll get a chance to play both versions. After lurking around the COD4 and Assassin's Creed threads around launch, it's nice to know I won't have to wade through 15 pages of shit to decide which version I should go with.

Sectus

Rant time!

I really wish Criterion would stop making the options screen have less options for each game.

I wanna turn off the DJ. I wanna turn off the takedown camera. I wanna change the crash camera into a simple overhead view. I wanna lower the car engine volume. I wanna change the controls so I can accelerate and brake using the face buttons. I wanna make the third person view have a higher camera position so I don't have to hold the right analog stick up all the time. And I want cake.

Some of those options were in the previous Burnout, but they're all gone now.

The game seems be heavily inspired by TDU, but it lacks a few important features from that game. Like being able to insta-travel to any part of the map you've previously explored (driving to the start of an event to re-try it is even worse than the loading times you had to deal with in the past) and the online mode screams for the ability to instant challenge people the same way as in TDU.

Paintshops where you don't actually get to choose colours yourself seems a bit pointless. And where's the ability to actually race other players in the online mode?

With those rants out the way, there's still some great things about Burnout Paradise though. Graphics looks gorgeous and having constant 60fps is really really nice. The crashes looks better than the previous games (although the camera angles really makes it hard to see what's going, it's disappointing it's impossible to see any chain reaction with the traffic because the camera always zooms far towards your own car).

Races seems to be more fun as you're free to experiment with other routes to the goal. (but as mentioned above, being able to instantly retry an event is something Criterion NEEDS to put into the game) And of course, that ability to simply drive around in a big open city and mess around is something which was never possible in a previous Burnout game.

The online mode seems to be definitely the highlight of the game. Very easy to get into, and the unique challenges is a nice idea. And it's easy to just fool around and have fun. Even playing a simple game of "Tag, you're it!" is really fun.

jet1911

Sooooooooo is there a way (as the host) to set up a race? Just a normal race between four people... Challenges are cool but I want to race.

The game is fucking brillant, the challenges are well integrated, the d-pad navigation menu thing works great and I love that the game tells you every time someone beat or almost beat a challenge. It encourage the competition between players.

Another question, why no music? :(

Tailzo

deepbrown said:
1280x720p MSAA 2x on Xbox360. No skimping to get 60fps here (COD4 600p)....perhaps because it's a PS3 centric game.
What do you mean? Because the game started on PS3? Or is Sony more strick on what resolution that has to work in their games?

Also, how long before any of the PSN stores get it online? I have silver XBL, so I'll download it for PS3. When it is released for XBL silver, I'll start comparing the versions.

1. I want it for PS3 because I can play online for free
2. The 360 controller has those nice DC-esque triggers that are always great for racing games
3. a friend of mine has 360, and may want to borrow my game. (That's a point for the 360 version)
4. ??? Are the versions 100% alike on the two consoles?

Tailzo said:
What do you mean? Because the game started on PS3? Or is Sony more strick on what resolution that has to work in their games?

He's just trollin' trying to say the reason why the 360 has 60fps is because of he Ps3!

Thats some conjecture!

deepbrown

Tailzo said:

Also, how long before any of the PSN stores get it online? I have silver XBL, so I'll download it for PS3. When it is released for XBL silver, I'll start comparing the versions.

1. I want it for PS3 because I can play online for free
2. The 360 controller has those nice DC-esque triggers that are always great for racing games
3. a friend of mine has 360, and may want to borrow my game. (That's a point for the 360 version)
4. ??? Are the versions 100% alike on the two consoles?

No trolling here. It's just 600p is a 360 centric resolution to help with getting through that edram. No big deal. PS3 also scales horizontally, so you're not likely to see these lower resolutions (there are some of course...but generally targeted at this horizantal scaling eg. GT5P and Sigma)

Top Bottom