• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BusinessInsider - Sony is making the same mistake that hobbled Microsoft and almost killed the Xbox.

Lort

Banned
Just make the PS5 backward compatible. This is all they need to do to win next generation.
This is pretty much what everyone is saying Sony will do.. release an underpowered underwhelming box like the PS4 pro and call it a day and go coasting along on their fanbase.

I read this article yesterday and wondered what axe this dude had to grind. I'm a ps/Nintendo guy but I have no problem with xbone cause a strong Microsoft can only enhance the industry as a whole. His article has only flimsy speculation about Sony making mistakes at the end of this generation.... It's always been about the games and sonys been killing it all gen.
That's the main reason xbone hadn't done well and their acquisitions of new studios can only be good news for Microsoft. This doesn't mean that Sony is in trouble just that xbone might be getting better. Horrible analysis. Don't think I'll give business trend any more business. Way too many junk articles. Forbes video game coverage is almost as bad

Klayzer

Gold Member
That’s not arrogance. Here I’ll do the same thing you just did for Microsoft.

1. Advertising VR then refusing to provide it for their customers on Xbox One X

2. Refusing to remove F2P games from pay wall

3. Charging people on game pass extra for playing online.

Again I reiterate, those are not arrogance. Simply just business decisions that they decided would not affect them financially.
Charging for online on F2P games is anti-consumer. With all the crossplay talk, no one ever calls out Microsoft about it. That decision right there affects way more Xbox gamers than crossplay ever would. Nintendo or Sony doesn't do it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Coming out and pronouncing the PS5 will be second next gen makes no sense until we see otherwise.

Tripolygon

Banned
Charging for online on F2P games is anti-consumer. With all the crossplay talk, no one ever calls out Microsoft about it. That decision right there affects way more Xbox gamers than crossplay ever would. Nintendo or Sony doesn't do it.
You make a good point.

Mr_Bubbles

Neo Member
I hope Sony sees that things are changing and are ready to open up. Even Nintendo switched around completely with less censoring, region free gaming and crossplay across PC and Xbox.

Besides, Nintendo sold more Switches last Decemberthan PS4 and Xbox One consoles, combined (!). Who knows, maybe Nintendo will see Wii times again and have just as much presence as the PS5 (considering sales are actually going above PS4 levels when you allign launches).

These are very interesting times indeed :)

Norse

Article seems like it can't decide if it's a world wide or USA story. 91million PS4 sales is mentioned but the rest of the article seems to read more like something for the US market. The world knows the PS3 ended up passing the 360 in the end, but here in the US, 360 dominated the PS3. Go look at the NPD threads from that gen here on gaf. And now PS4 has sold 91 million but here in the US, it's leading but Xbox one is close enough that next gen could once again swing MS. Nintendo? Not the same thing as they don't compete for the US living room. That's the Sony vs MS battlefield.

SaucyJack

You got a source for that. Everything aside from a debunked VGCHARTZ article points to the PS3 finishing 3rd last gen.

Wiki has the 360 at 84 million and PS3 at >83.8 million. But it’s not quite like for like, the 360 figure is a later (2014) number as Sony had stopped divulging individual platform sales from their 2012 financials. In all likelihood Somy sold more than 200k PS3s in the intervening period.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

Fox Mulder

I genuinely believe a lot of these articles are bought and paid for by team Xbox. All the articles about Microsoft are glowing and use fantastical words like “dominate next gen, most powerful hardware ever, and 4 billion potential customers.” Rinse and repeat. Then when there’s a hit peice on Sony it’s either a reach, an unknown, or blatant lie.
Microsoft is going all out next gen and media will be a huge part of that. I’m sure the giant bomb guys, polygon, waypoint, and maybe gamespot will declare ps5 dead long before we even officially see it, all on Microsoft’s dime no doubt.

It might feel that way, but they're most likely just making clickbait articles. Saying MS will dominate next gen will get more attention to their site.

ethomaz

Banned
You got a source for that. Everything aside from a debunked VGCHARTZ article points to the PS3 finishing 3rd last gen.
Official trackers shows it is true.
It is well know PS3 ended ahead 360 last gen... I really can't find any article saying the opposite like you say since 2012 when the generation did not ended yet.

BTW end of 2015 figures.

hardware1oakf.png

Last edited:

Norse

In the US, they might have finished 3rd, but worldwide I believe PS3 just squeeked past 360 in the end. My point I was trying to make was here in the US 360 outsold PS3 rather easily so the OPs article may be talking more about MS overtaking Sony in the US next gen instead of worldwide. And as far as software sales go, 360 dominated NPD software sales regularly. It wasn't even close here in the US.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Click bait article by Ben Gilbert. To save you all the trouble, and because the op omitted the relevant parts of the article, this is all Ben cites to back up his claim.
  1. Sony being stubborn with cross-play
  2. Recent corporate quotes about synergy between Sony entertainment division's - equated to Xbox One TV, TV, TV.

1. Sony had done cross-play BEFORE MS first of all but it was with PC. But even with other consoles, Sony is starting to allow it to happening. So that issue isn't really an issue anymore.
2. Did that Business Insider not know that Sony literally has a Playstation CABLE service called PS VUE like right now?!?!

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I think it's pretty obvious what he's saying.

Phil Spencer, the do-nothing suit that's been packaged and sold to us like he's Gaming Jesus™, supposedly pulled Microsoft from out of the muck and made them the gaming powerhouse they are today (despite the Xbox One still having no exclusives or really any reason to exist at all). These shitty shill articles are trying to paint Sony as declining, needing a "Phil Spencer" shot in the arm like Microsoft supposedly got when absolutely nothing changed other than gamers getting subjected to another smarmy talking head making empty promises constantly.
Dude, your disdain for anything Microsoft or Xbox is unsettling. I've read some hum-dingers about Xbox before but yours are without a doubt the most distasteful, most toxic bit of vile I think I've read about anything Xbox in quite some time. There's no way I'd trust your opinion any further than how to burn boiling water. Do you even read your posts? Jesus.

dirthead

Banned
Dude, your disdain for anything Microsoft or Xbox is unsettling. I've read some hum-dingers about Xbox before but yours are without a doubt the most distasteful, most toxic bit of vile I think I've read about anything Xbox in quite some time. There's no way I'd trust your opinion any further than how to burn boiling water. Do you even read your posts? Jesus.

I've got just as much disdain for Sony and Nintendo. Try me.

llien

Meh at large text in OP that fails to mention what in article's author's opinion were the mistakes and thank you, Hendrick's Hendrick's for summing it up.

Microsoft's mistake #1 was hilariously mocked by Sony:

Microsoft's problem #1 (which they couldn't have addressed overnight, hence it's not a mistake) is weaker set of exclusives.
Sony's mistake was expensive and hated by developers. They aren't going to repeat any of that, thank you, AMD.

One thing that can harm Sony big time is letting Sony (California) censor games, even those who aren't even being released in US.

Last edited:

magnumpy

it's hard because it's far away, I mean who can say what will happen in the future, but 2010 might be too soon for a console refresh. 2012 or later might be preferable D:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ok so lemme get this straight. Xbox was in it's infancy in 2000...it did well for Xbox 360, it did ok with Xbox One. Is it just me or does it feel likes there hasn't been enough history to really find a pattern? He says "no one stays on top forever" I mean yea, that's true but it's such a safe statement to make and really has no meaningful insight. With only 3 generations of competition between Xbox and Playstation...I feel like anything can happen and we haven't had enough of a history to define a trend. If you exclude the XBOX/PS2 generation due to the Xbox just starting out...then that's leave 2 generations.

Next Gen is up in the air. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
He is right on one thing though.

He literally dislikes anything that isn't on PC. So naturally thats all the console builders.

chinoXL

They did it recently with the pro.
i wouldn't really say PS3 was under powered...just a lot more work needed to get it to perform on multiplats for much of its life..1st party titles speak for themselves...i just hope the next gen is more competitive...more competition the better..hopefully Sony will come out swinging spec wise cuz you know MSFT will if the X is anything to go by

mckmas8808

i wouldn't really say PS3 was under powered...just a lot more work needed to get it to perform on multiplats for much of its life..1st party titles speak for themselves...i just hope the next gen is more competitive...more competition the better..hopefully Sony will come out swinging spec wise cuz you know MSFT will if the X is anything to go by

Are we sure about that? MS had an extra year and their mid-gen console cost an extra $100. Would the two mid-gen refreshes be that much different if they had came out the same year?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Compared to the X and even the standard PS4, the Pro was kinda underpowered and unnecessary

PocoJoe

Banned
I wont buy xbox. Even if it is faster and cheaper. It is trash as a brand to me.

Im not only one whom thinks the same, xbox isnt even an option for most that have played since ps1 on PlayStation.

Also if they dont fix that shitty controller with bad stick placement, even less interested.

Sony always offers best games with nice OS and enough features.

Ms just fails

chinoXL

Are we sure about that? MS had an extra year and their mid-gen console cost an extra $100. Would the two mid-gen refreshes be that much different if they had came out the same year?
very good point there sir...they needed to come out swinging mid gen wise since the 1 was struggling..if hey released same year im sure things would have turned out MUCH different

Mr_Bubbles

Neo Member
Nintendo? Not the same thing as they don't compete for the US living room. That's the Sony vs MS battlefield.
Apparantly they are, according to sales. Better get used to it :)

I'm not saying most will have Switch as their only console (apart from maybe a lot of families who don't necessarily need cinematic AAA games) but having a Switch + either PS or Xbox is a very probable outcome at this point.

leo-j

playstation 3 outsold the xbox 360 by the end of the generation.... the xbox one being at 41 million vs the ps4's 92 million is not the same as the ps3 being at 86 million and the 360 being at 84 million.

mckmas8808

playstation 3 outsold the xbox 360 by the end of the generation.... the xbox one being at 41 million vs the ps4's 92 million is not the same as the ps3 being at 86 million and the 360 being at 84 million.

Exactly! One of the biggest issues with this dumb article. One is not like the other.

While your whole point is correct, there isn't a reliable source about PS3 passing the 360, just estimates and odd margins of erorr. (especially since that would mean the 360 stopped selling after summer 2014)

But the PS3 and the Xbox One are not in the same place agreed.

thelastword

Banned
Compared to the X and even the standard PS4, the Pro was kinda underpowered and unnecessary
The Pro powers the best games released this gen at higher resolutions, that alone makes it necessary for the millions who purchased PRO...... Which happens to be a much larger installbase over XBONEX.

What was not necessary was a console coming towards the bitter end of the cycle at $500.00 with no great exclusive games, where even last gen like hardware in the switch is outselling it and deeming it unnecessary, where it has to be on sale all year round to move a few units.....post launch..

Apparantly they are, according to sales. Better get used to it :)

I'm not saying most will have Switch as their only console (apart from maybe a lot of families who don't necessarily need cinematic AAA games) but having a Switch + either PS or Xbox is a very probable outcome at this point.

I think he meant media wise.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is pretty much what everyone is saying Sony will do.. release an underpowered underwhelming box like the PS4 pro and call it a day and go coasting along on their fanbase.

You really are disgusted by the success they are having and pissed at their fans that are enjoying the fruits of it ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Says you? Overall PS4 Pro is still selling a lot and possibly more than Xbox One X is in absolute numbers and powering some incredibly looking games... not sure why it would be underpowered and sales and results seems to say it has a point being out there and all (not unnecessary).

Lort

Banned
Says you? Overall PS4 Pro is still selling a lot and possibly more than Xbox One X is in absolute numbers and powering some incredibly looking games... not sure why it would be underpowered and sales and results seems to say it has a point being out there and all (not unnecessary).
Just like the ps3 / xbox 360 possibly outselling xbox with such a massive fanbase is not success.

I want to see both parties go for powerful expensive next gen. I have money though so its easy for me to say.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Just like the ps3 / xbox 360 possibly outselling xbox with such a massive fanbase is not success.

Of course it is. Unless you thought their internal projections were about much higher PS4 Pro : PS4 sales ratio and there is evidence to support it.

I want to see both parties go for powerful expensive next gen. I have money though so its easy for me to say.

I do not think that the market would respond well to both boxes raising the price to $499 and it may slow down HW pickup rate which would slow down developers adoption which would slow down the time they would invest optimising the HW you just bought and it is not delivering what you thought it should after all the money you just spent ;).

Do not get how the situation is similar to PS3 vs Xbox 360 where the most expensive box with proper BC (in terms of number of titles supported it dwarfed the current approach), tons of HW perks (built-in Ethernet and WiFi without forcing you to buy add ins, user replaceable HDD, SACD support, etc...) was rejected until the price dropped enough... but then started to outsell its direct competition and come out of a 1.5 years or so slump.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

So far, Microsoft hasn't put much effort in the One X performance for their own games. Even the multiplatform games don't look that different from the Pro. If the resolution is the only difference, then the X was also unnecessary.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
It's funny how non-Pro users are telling us, Pro users, how bad we feel and how greatly we have been scammed by Sony. Tell that to my exclusive games on 4K HDR or my PSVR with better resolution thanks to the additional power. Still waiting for the "high-fidelity VR" Microsoft announced with Scorpio reveal, just to play down Sony's.

Klayzer

Gold Member
It's funny how non-Pro users are telling us, Pro users, how bad we feel and how greatly we have been scammed by Sony. Tell that to my exclusive games on 4K HDR or my PSVR with better resolution thanks to the additional power. Still waiting for the "high-fidelity VR" Microsoft announced with Scorpio reveal, just to play down Sony's.
Its not funny, its hilarious how much Sony's success bothers them.

Top Bottom