• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BusinessInsider - Sony is making the same mistake that hobbled Microsoft and almost killed the Xbox.

As someone that sold broken systems. For every broken PS3 I got in, I had at least five broken 360s. And those are the "GOOD" ones which are Falcon and Jasper mixes. If I went for Zephyr and Xenos, it would be 15-20 per broken PS3. Unfortunately, anything before a Falcon is certified garbage. Some say the Falcons are also garbage with the Jasper being the earliest ones that are worth saving. PS3 fats while also death machines are far less prone than the 360. And if they're reballed, have the thermal paste redone or have the ac power supply and fans swapped out, are actually just as stable as a slim.

Still bitter I got stuck with 20-30 broken 360s that I had to sell at a loss. I got taken through the rings on that one.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Nice find hehe.
I'm sure we all remember how "important" Indie games were back then (which that list is mostly comprised of). It wasnt about exclusives at the beginning of this gen. It was all about Indies. In fact, Sony fans were shouting from the roof tops about how power and Indies were where it's at, not exclusives - which Microsoft had more of in the beginning. Sony were struggling on the exclusives in the beginning - most of them save a few, weren't very good.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm sure we all remember how "important" Indie games were back then (which that list is mostly comprised of). It wasnt about exclusives at the beginning of this gen. It was all about Indies. In fact, Sony fans were shouting from the roof tops about how power and Indies were where it's at, not exclusives - which Microsoft had more of in the beginning. Sony were struggling on the exclusives in the beginning - most of them save a few, weren't very good.

Debatable, found lots of gems early on. Not sure about flip flopping regarding indies being something real rather than felt / something some people believe it occurred: people were just excited by good new exciting software that as far as customers are really concerned about was made possible or facilitated by the PlayStation platform and Sony's successful developer relations efforts.

There were some good first party titles, indie titles, and AAA titles from third party publishers in PS4's first year (some of the indies you may have in mind had exclusivity contracts Sony setup for example... see HouseMarque and Resogun) and people had good reasons to believe it was just the beginning... and it really was :D.

mejin

Bloodborne came early 2015.

Although MS had quantity over Sony till the end of 2014, they didn't have enough quality worth of mention, no GotY contenders or big reception from the public. The initial run from the gen was just too short. That's why they are buying whatever devs they can, so they can at least have a chance next gen.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
3fa
Lol, i have never heard this shit. You just make this up.

Sucks to be late to the party huh? Everyone who was on a gaming forum around that time heard that argument in every single thread. Several times

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
3fa

Sucks to be late to the party huh? Everyone who was on a gaming forum around that time heard that argument in every single thread. Several times

Exclusive do not matter and only indies do? Considering most of the games that people were shouting about where console exclusives to PS4 that argument is contradicting itself.

This is top of this argument being, as I was saying just a few posts up, a quite skewed (and IMHO exaggerated and inaccurate) view of things.
It would be like saying that everyone on the Xbox camp shouted that 40% higher performance, higher resolution rendering, and graphics improvements did not matter (TV sitting distance, diminishing returns, invented DirectX, more balanced HW, etc...) and would still say it now had the Xbox One X not released and looking at how modern multiplatform titles fare (Xbox One is falling further behind PS4 as times goes on, not getting closer graphics wise in multiplatform games, opposite than Xbox 360 vs PS3 and the initial graphics gap was bigger for multiplatform games).

Sure some people were happy that PS4 packed a powerful punch and was not even too tough to extract performance from... and were excited at how that would be used for first party titles and console exclusives like many of those indie games were.

Last edited:
This is from 5 years ago.

2366287-7306486380-KVX6j.jpg

We also had sites pop-up like PS4vsXboxOne.com (if I got the name correctly) which doesn’t exist anymore that kept track of the exclusives each would receive.

Your chart doesn't trump reality, most gamers even on THIS board didn't count that and people were complaining about it. In fact, this was one of the boards starting the "has no games" thing. Not to mention the software back then in terms of sales was in Xbox One's favor for a bit.

That chart didn't prevent any of that from happening.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
3fa

Indies were where it's at, not exclusives

This part is such a nonsense lol...

Give me some threads, because yeah..."You heard that argument in every single thread, several times"

Last edited:

FStubbs

Meh at large text in OP that fails to mention what in article's author's opinion were the mistakes and thank you, @Hendrick's for summing it up.

Microsoft's mistake #1 was hilariously mocked by Sony:

Microsoft's problem #1 (which they couldn't have addressed overnight, hence it's not a mistake) is weaker set of exclusives.
Sony's mistake was expensive and hated by developers. They aren't going to repeat any of that, thank you, AMD.

One thing that can harm Sony big time is letting Sony (California) censor games, even those who aren't even being released in US.

Censoring games won't matter for Sony at all because the games they're censoring don't matter for Sony.

Microsoft's biggest acute mistake for the Xbox One was the used games fiasco. They did fix that obviously.

Microsoft has a big problem with exclusives - their 2nd biggest problem, but their biggest problem over the years is this:

No one outside of English speaking countries wants or cares about Xbox.

Until Microsoft solves this, Sony has them beat day 1 of any console release.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

As I remember it, how things actually were was the same pro-360, anti-PS3 trolls who had been banging on about how their platform of choice's slight performance advantage made the other "worthless" all last gen, expected to be in the same position this time around.

When it became clear that things weren't going to pan out that way, they lost their collective shit, and seeing them hoist by their own petard was a cause of great amusement for the rest of us.

I personally was endlessly entertained by it, not because I've ever given a toss over slight performance advantages and defecits, but because console-warrior idiots did, and seeing them having to backpedal on their bullshit was hilarious.

Gavon West

This part is such a nonsense lol...

Give me some threads, because yeah..."You heard that argument in every single thread, several times"
Some of you guys are so full of it. Now no one remembers the beginning of the gen when Sony had a plethora of Indies and the power advantage and Xbox actually had the higher rated exclusives. That was all Sony fans were screaming for a good while and rightfully so - Sony had a bunch of great indies and were doing more for independent developers than Microsoft at the time. Of course they had to lean on independent developers as the exclusives were still in the oven. The Sony exclusives (aside from a couple) were ass and the scores reflected that.

Its why when Sony in fact did begin to reign on the exclusives front, the narrative jumped from Indies to exclusives because Sony were beginning to acquire quite a bit. Of course, by then, Microsoft had changed direction on the Indie front and began to work with more independent developers. But the time had passed and Indies were no longer "in".

No one remembers this, huh? Figures.....Lol

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Dude, your disdain for anything Microsoft or Xbox is unsettling. I've read some hum-dingers about Xbox before but yours are without a doubt the most distasteful, most toxic bit of vile I think I've read about anything Xbox in quite some time. There's no way I'd trust your opinion any further than how to burn boiling water. Do you even read your posts? Jesus.
In other words, he’s spot on.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Exclusive do not matter and only indies do?

PS4 really didn't have any exclusives back then so it mattered. Like graphics. Until Xbox also had both of these, then PS4 fan boys had to find another counter argument.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
PS4 really didn't have any exclusives back then so it mattered. Like graphics. Until Xbox also had both of these, then PS4 fan boys had to find another counter argument.

It had plenty of console exclusive and people were excited about the machine potential and demonstrated capabilities. The rest is your view on reality which you and Gavon are allowed to have of course... just cannot agree to it as I do not find it accurate as I already said.

The portion of fanboys on whatever side that flip back and forth about what they like in order to make their product of choice look better and spend time trying to shit on the other group of fans as well as fanboys exaggerating and misrepresenting as much stuff as they can is not really a big concern.

It is a fanboyish concern of those that want to spread and make others believe about a <insertConsoleMaker>GAF sure ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Some of you guys are so full of it. Now no one remembers the beginning of the gen when Sony had a plethora of Indies and the power advantage and Xbox actually had the higher rated exclusives. That was all Sony fans were screaming for a good while and rightfully so - Sony had a bunch of great indies and were doing more for independent developers than Microsoft at the time. Of course they had to lean on independent developers as the exclusives were still in the oven. The Sony exclusives (aside from a couple) were ass and the scores reflected that.

Its why when Sony in fact did begin to reign on the exclusives front, the narrative jumped from Indies to exclusives because Sony were beginning to acquire quite a bit. Of course, by then, Microsoft had changed direction on the Indie front and began to work with more independent developers. But the time had passed and Indies were no longer "in".

Sony has penty of console exclusives and a good chunk was also indie developers pushing quite great games indeed.
MS was trying to twist those developers’ arm and enforce the then infamous “parity clause” to allow developers to even publish on Xbox then or in the future.

Thank you though... I almost forgot about the other reason why people were making a big deal about Indies and were pissed at MS for a second :).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
In other words, he’s spot on.

The other bit conveniently forgotten is that the argument was not really “Xbox sucks because it is slower” that people used to shit up threads. Some of that did happen yes.

Those bits were annoying , but the other very annoying bit included the aggressive posters on the other side that were downplaying anything and everything that could be seen as hurting their brand of choice: “nope there is no difference between the consoles, Xbox One looks just as good” or “sitting like 1 foot from the TV is the only way you could notice it and even then..” or “the picture going to your TV is 1080p anyways”... oh wait the last one was a MS / Xbox Exec ;).

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
The resolution war was a counter-argument to the labels of "Indiestation" and the likes. Actually, it is pretty dumb to make a fuss over the resolution disparity between One and PS4 for they are pretty much the same, pretty much like PS3 and XBOX360. The same applies to Pro and X in reversed roles. In the end, power only matters when threre is a TRUE generational leap and that's not gonna happen between the two because they need to be in the same price range.

If people people were so invested in "true power" they would all have a 4K TV, just as a starter. It's so fucking funny seeing people arguing over resolution when they don't even have the right TV to appreciate that graphic improvement. If they did, they would know the true game changer is HDR and that works better on OLED which is still minority.

mejin

in 2014, MS had an advantage with more first party published games launched than sony. But that was it, quantity, not quality. Till today there is no MS worth of GotY or at least, a game really unmissable to play this gen.

But everyone knew that ps4 had more titles announced to come than xbox. So, sony bet in console exclusives to fill the gap, indies surely had more space for that year. Early 2015, Bloodborne arrived and that marked the beginning of the end for xbox users narrative.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

No one remembers, because I've never heard that indies would be the most important part and then exclusives.

Gavon West

No one remembers, because I've never heard that indies would be the most important part and then exclusives.
Well it ABSOLUTELY did happen. If you were around at the beginning of this gen, it was all over the internet.

Gavon West

Sony has penty of console exclusives and a good chunk was also indie developers pushing quite great games indeed.
MS was trying to twist those developers’ arm and enforce the then infamous “parity clause” to allow developers to even publish on Xbox then or in the future.

Thank you though... I almost forgot about the other reason why people were making a big deal about Indies and were pissed at MS for a second :).
Bullshit. In the beginning Sony had fuck all save for a few exclusives that were seeing some day light. The others were trash (ahem The Order, Knack..) Sony fans were all about some bragging rights on Indies however. Indies and power.

Now, yes. Sony has great SP games. It was not always so. Let's not pretend it was.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The hardcore Xbox fan base on here are clueless.

PlayStation fans were all about games, the problem is that Xbox fanboys discredited every single game that wasn't a AAA exclusive title.

YES, Xbox fanboys were bragging about AAA exclusives.

Their narrative is that no one cared about indies or Japanese titles because they were niche and the only thing that sold consoles were AAA exclusives.

Do you notice how the narrative keeps changing within their community? Early last year, exclusives didn't matter, now that Microsoft started buying all of these studios, they're now talking about how MS is ready to win next gen. Fanboys change the narrative to defend their favorite platform, and that's exactly what we're seeing now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

PlayStation fans were all about games, the problem is that Xbox fanboys discredited every single game that wasn't a AAA exclusive title.

Their narrative is that no one cared about indies or Japanese titles because they were niche and the only thing that sold consoles were AAA exclusives.

Do you notice how the narrative keeps changing within their community? Early last year, exclusives didn't matter, now that Microsoft started buying all of these studios, they're now talking about how MS is ready to win next gen. Fanboys change the narrative to defend their favorite platform, and that's exactly what we're seeing now.

Well put.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The Sony exclusives (aside from a couple) were ass and the scores reflected that.

This is the type of stuff that I'm talking about. You believe the scores reflect how bad the games are, but when an Xbox game gets a low score on Metacritic, you're here posting this.

State of Decay 2

Gavon West said:
Bad? What bad is that, exactly? Surely you aren't talking about games. I'd you don't like the ones on offer, that's a YOU problem. Like, your opinion.

But, yeah. Genuinely. What bad are they doing?

Hiphopcr responds to a picture showing Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 with low metacritic scores and you liked this comment.

Oh yah that's right, that means I'm not allowed to have any fun with them. Thanks for the reminder Gaf.

Sea of Thieves

Someone says this game would still get low review scores if it was on PS4 and you disagreed.

Gavon West said:
BS and you know it! Especially if this was a Nintendo game. Good thing it's actually doing really well sales wise and the community for it is growing. FR, this is another staple in the Xbox franchise portfolio - despite what the Metacritic score or naysayers say.

If Crackdown 3 gets low review scores, I'm sure you would be doing the exact same thing.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Are people still trying to push the PS4 had no games in the first two years? They tried that narrative before but it didn't stick and now they're giving it a whirl again I see......

XBONE launch/launch window Games:

Dead Rising 3
Project Spark
Locoycyle
Ryse
Fighter Within
Killer Instinct
Crimson Dragon
Forza Motorsport 5
Zoo Tycoon
Zumba Fitness
Powerstar Golf

PS4 launch/launch window Games:

Killzone Shadowfall
Injustice Ultimate
Knack
Resogun
Warframe
Blacklight Retribution
DC Universe
Super Motherload
Trine 2
Sound Shapes
Divekick
Flower
Playroom
Contrast
Infamous Second Son
Driveclub
Counterspy
A tonne of indies (Awesomenauts, Flow, Tiny brains, Rays the dead, Escape plan, Doki Doki, Transistor, Pool Nation, HoHoKum, Tiny Brains Pinball Arcade etc... etc..)

He's just basing this on past history. I can see MS coming out on top next gen given all the moves they're making now.

Regardless, all 3 console have something to offer and are enjoyable.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He's just basing this on past history. I can see MS coming out on top next gen given all the moves they're making now.

Regardless, all 3 console have something to offer and are enjoyable.

On top where though? North America, maybe UK again?

There is still a whole rest of the world where they are pretty much dead in the water. They don't have the brand recognition for the rest of the territories.

The sales gap between the PS4 and the Xbox in North America as well as the UK is about 1 million to 1.5 million units each maybe more.

That means that other 45+ million gap is for the rest of the world. I don't see Microsoft turning it around off of just one generation due to buzz articles. The rest of the world honestly doesn't care for the brand.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned

The goal posts have been moved so far that its been a mantra of "gamespass, gamespass, gamespass" rather than any actual game for a year straight. Lets all be real here, Sony, Nintendo, apple and amazon will eventually all have a games apass equalivalent feature at some point probably sooner rather than later. Yes they were first to do it if we pretend PS Now doesn't exist but they wont be the only one.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Bullshit. In the beginning Sony had fuck all save for a few exclusives that were seeing some day light. The others were trash (ahem The Order, Knack..) Sony fans were all about some bragging rights on Indies however. Indies and power.

Now, yes. Sony has great SP games. It was not always so. Let's not pretend it was.

You can get angry all you want. It does not really change what happened, what games people played, how people felt about the platform, and how people trolled it and may keep trolling it.

Some people were excited and some people were bragging but not because nothing else is as important... they are doing so because they had reasons to be exited about and the platform’s strong sales are an indication of that despite some “worries” about reading too much in initial sales. Let’s not talk about the despicable and questionable partisan F.U.D. during Shenmue III’s initial Kickstarter period...

A lot of the indie titles in those days that people were excited about were console exclusives Song collaborated on or helped with marketing deals and stage presence (like they already did in PS3, but taken up a notch). You can also pretend to ignore the “parity clause” issue btw...

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

You forgot the half step of saying “ok, exclusive matters, but PS4 exclusives are all shit because <insert workshopped reason that can be easily repeated verbatim around the forum> and we will hunt positive posts about those games down and rip them them a new one trying to make discussion impossible” ;).

Last edited:

NickFire

I don't fault the author for suggesting that ignoring customer's wishes and pushing non-gaming content too hard could lead to poor sales down the road. Those are real risks. But the article seems to be conflating theoretical possibilities with near certainties, and also puts way too much more stock in crossplay IMO. The lack of crossplay in Fortnite was a major flop until it was corrected because Fortnite is as much a cultural phenomenon as it is a game (deny it if you want, but its true). Outside of Fortnite, the people who were / are displeased and vocal about lack of crossplay, just don't seem to exist in significantly large enough numbers to really make an impact on next generation sales either way. Like really, how many sales will go to MS next gen just because MS would let you play with Sony gamers if Sony said ok?

Gavon West

You can get angry all you want. It does not really change what happened, what games people played, how people felt about the platform, and how people trolled it and may keep trolling it.

Some people were excited and some people were bragging but not because nothing else is as important... they are doing so because they had reasons to be exited about and the platform’s strong sales are an indication of that despite some “worries” about reading too much in initial sales. Let’s not talk about the despicable and questionable partisan F.U.D. during Shenmue III’s initial Kickstarter period...

A lot of the indie titles in those days that people were excited about were console exclusives Song collaborated on or helped with marketing deals and stage presence (like they already did in PS3, but taken up a notch). You can also pretend to ignore the “parity clause” issue btw...
Psh! Not angry. I gave Sony props. They earned it but, exclusives weren't what Sony fans were clamoring about in the beginning. And I do remember how Microsoft handled Indie developers -- left alot to be desired. Still, indie's were DEFINITELY much more important than exclusives in the beginning because Sony simply lacked them.

ethomaz

Banned
While your whole point is correct, there isn't a reliable source about PS3 passing the 360, just estimates and odd margins of erorr. (especially since that would mean the 360 stopped selling after summer 2014)

But the PS3 and the Xbox One are not in the same place agreed.
If you at least read few posts before...

hardware1oakf.png

PS3 > 360 is a confirmed fact with reliable sources.

Ohhhh it is December 2015 data to you not cry about 360 stooping to sell after summer 2014.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Psh! Not angry. I gave Sony props. They earned it but, exclusives weren't what Sony fans were clamoring about in the beginning. And I do remember how Microsoft handled Indie developers -- left alot to be desired. Still, indie's were DEFINITELY much more important than exclusives in the beginning because Sony simply lacked them.

Most of those indies were console exclusive though (some exclusives period). There were first party exclusives too, you may not like them or find them unnecessary or ..., but I do not see this universal flip flopping. Sony platforms always had good (and more and more quantity wise too as time progressed) first party games, but it’s goal was not a Nintendo like domination it to diversify, take risks, prove genres, and create a very healthy and thriving ecosystem for third parties. “First, Best, or Must”... seems to be driving Sony WWS and I hope it allows the experimental and quirky titles we know and like too :).

When you first sentence starts with “Bullshit!” you will forgive me for thinking it was an angry way to react ;).

Gavon West

Most of those indies were console exclusive though (some exclusives period). There were first party exclusives too, you may not like them or find them unnecessary or ..., but I do not see this universal flip flopping. Sony platforms always had good (and more and more quantity wise too as time progressed) first party games, but it’s goal was not a Nintendo like domination it to diversify, take risks, prove genres, and create a very healthy and thriving ecosystem for third parties. “First, Best, or Must”... seems to be driving Sony WWS and I hope it allows the experimental and quirky titles we know and like too :).

When you first sentence starts with “Bullshit!” you will forgive me for thinking it was an angry way to react ;).
It's a flaw in my DNA. Work went great today. I was a in great mood at the time.

Foxbat

Banned
As I remember it, how things actually were was the same pro-360, anti-PS3 trolls who had been banging on about how their platform of choice's slight performance advantage made the other "worthless" all last gen, expected to be in the same position this time around.

When it became clear that things weren't going to pan out that way, they lost their collective shit, and seeing them hoist by their own petard was a cause of great amusement for the rest of us.

I personally was endlessly entertained by it, not because I've ever given a toss over slight performance advantages and defecits, but because console-warrior idiots did, and seeing them having to backpedal on their bullshit was hilarious.

Now the situation has flipped yet again. The console warrior idiots who decided early this gen that power was king, are now singing a different tune.

The really funny part is how Xbox fanboys had all last gen to gloat about the power advantage, and gloat they did. When this gen started, and the PS4 was the most powerful console. PS4 fanboys were convinced that they would enjoy the power advantage all gen. The X is one of the best things to happen to console gaming for the salt it created alone.

At this point the PS4 has a fuller list of exclusive games. That's it. MS has closed every gap, and surpassed Sony in every way as far as consoles. The only thing left is the exclusives (Which is apparently all that matters lol). With all the 1st party aquisitions MS has made over the last year, it's pretty obvious that are looking to correct that issue as well.

At that point, I just wonder where the goalpost will get moved to next. I suspect VR, but only time will tell.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Now the situation has flipped yet again. The console warrior idiots who decided early this gen that power was king, are now singing a different tune.

The really funny part is how Xbox fanboys had all last gen to gloat about the power advantage, and gloat they did. When this gen started, and the PS4 was the most powerful console. PS4 fanboys were convinced that they would enjoy the power advantage all gen. The X is one of the best things to happen to console gaming for the salt it created alone.

At this point the PS4 has a fuller list of exclusive games. That's it. MS has closed every gap, and surpassed Sony in every way as far as consoles. The only thing left is the exclusives (Which is apparently all that matters lol). With all the 1st party aquisitions MS has made over the last year, it's pretty obvious that are looking to correct that issue as well.

At that point, I just wonder where the goalpost will get moved to next. I suspect VR, but only time will tell.

Then again another goalpost was console sales and how a console was supported throughout its lifetime: sales now do not matter and the way to fix your old box’s problems is to ask people to buy your newest box. It does not really work like that IMHO, but opinions are opinions ;).

I see both companies strengthening their first party stables although internal expansion is less reported / newsworthy apparently. I do hope it moves beyond a checkboxes ticking exercise as the way first party developers for in the ecosystem is very particular and anything that would stop Xbox regular draught when a new generation starts propping up its head would be appreciated :).

Kenpachii

Physical + digital.

PS4

• Grand Theft Auto V
  • Call of Duty: WWII
  • Call of Duty Black Ops III
  • Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  • NBA 2k18
  • Battlefield 1
  • God of War
  • Star Wars Battlefront
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  • Nba 2k17
Xbox One

• Grand Theft Auto V
  • Call of Duty: WWII
  • Call of Duty Black Ops III
  • Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  • Battlefield 1
  • Star Wars Battlefront
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Destiny 2
  • Fallout 4
Add probably fornite and pugb with that list as most played games most likely.

All MS has to do is release a cheaper box with better hardware ( for pr reasons ) that does stuff more pro consumer and they win it. Exclusives are nice to feed some core gamers on the platform and get early sales going, but hardly the reason why people buy these consoles at the end.

Xbox one tanked simple, because its more expensive, later released, less performance, total shit PR.

Exclusives honestly aren't that important as people make it out to be. Also sales for those exclusives can be heavily manipulated by given the games away for free like they did with spiderman bundle at black friday.

"shit my sales aren't high, nobody is talking about it" well lets give free copy's of witcher 3 away with every 970 sold". easy 2 million sales.

Or lets boost uncharted sales, lets release a uncharted bundle with same price as the normal bundle. Yea which one would people buy? obviously the one with a game even if they didn't care for it.

In PR land "uncharted broke records". Yea obviously but they are all still playing gta 5 and there shooters. Because that's why they bought that box.

Last edited:

Foxbat

Banned
Then again another goalpost was console sales and how a console was supported throughout its lifetime: sales now do not matter and the way to fix your old box’s problems is to ask people to buy your newest box. It does not really work like that IMHO, but opinions are opinions ;).

I see both companies strengthening their first party stables although internal expansion is less reported / newsworthy apparently. I do hope it moves beyond a checkboxes ticking exercise as the way first party developers for in the ecosystem is very particular and anything that would stop Xbox regular draught when a new generation starts propping up its head would be appreciated :).

Sales overall should matter to MS and Sony. Not really to the consumer. The ultimate goalpost move, is when a console warrior has been soundly defeated... His final desperation move is to somehow claim that sales makes his preferred console better. Fixing your old box’s problems by asking people to buy your newest one is just how it's done these days I suppose. Both MS and Sony have done it this gen. The only difference is that MS did a far better job at it.

I agree, although the "Xbox regular drought" tends to happen later in the generation rather than the beginning. Despite the usual mantra on that subject, I actually enjoy MS first party offerings this gen.

ZywyPL

Banned
Exclusives honestly aren't that important as people make it out to be.

Exactly - how many worth playing exclusives current consoles have? XB1 has Halo 5, Gears 4, and Forza/Horizon once a year. PS4 on the other hand so far has UC4, GoW and Spiderman. That's all the meaningful games I personally can count for both platforms - 3 games, within 5 years, that's... nothing. All what the whole majority of people wants to play is another CoD, BF, Assassin, Fifa, GTA etc., whoever offers the cheapest console that plays those games wins the sales race, simple as it gets, and Sony learned that the hard way with the PS3. So I have no doubts they will aim for 399$ again, if not 349$, and nothing else will matter in both the short and the long term.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

The truth of the matter is that there's an element of luck involved in the "value" of exclusives; Everyone starts out intending to make a winner, but some inevitably under-perform critically or at retail, whereas others do as well or better than expected. The PS4 has, by and large, been incredibly fortunate with this.

So to say that its just a matter of there being exclusives to help PS4's performance is missing the important bit, the quality of them has been unusually high on the whole. This isn't an easy thing to replicate.

Foxbat

Banned
Official trackers shows it is true.
It is well know PS3 ended ahead 360 last gen... I really can't find any article saying the opposite like you say since 2012 when the generation did not ended yet.

BTW end of 2015 figures.

hardware1oakf.png

Right... But do you have a source? I mean, te picture is cute and all, but that's not a source. If you're claiming it is, well... My point stands.

The last confirmed numbers had the 360 still ahead by a small margin. That's including shipped numbers from Sony on the PS3, and not sold through.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
But with the PlayStation 3 in 2006, Sony lost its dominance in the video game market. Microsoft's Xbox 360 became the standard-bearer for video game consoles of its generation,

Uhhh, what? That was the Wii. It smashed them both.

Top Bottom