• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Businessweek: "Sony Bounces Back"

KTallguy

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
No one is suggesting anything of the sort. But please don't act like it was a success either when Sony cut shipments due to problems, and then apparently cut forecasts thus leading up to this "good" news.

And is MS profiting? No. Why you brought them up is beyond me, althought I have a guess.

Sorry to bring up Microsoft in a thread talking about how Sony is succeeding (or failing). I guess that mentioning a direct competitor has no place in a thread talking Sony's chances for success or failure. :lol

Doom and gloom INDEED!

J-Rzez

mckmas8808 said:
Why is this thread so small?

Some people broke their keyboards, thus not able to type... they'll be here in a couple hours when they get back from wal-mart...

xbot.gif

KTallguy said:
Sorry to bring up Microsoft in a thread talking about how Sony is succeeding (or failing). I guess that mentioning a direct competitor has no place in a thread talking Sony's chances for success or failure. :lol

Doom and gloom INDEED!

You have to understand that your post came across as a fanboy rant. While others were posting on the news specifically about Sony and it's business outlook, you decided to make it another PS3 vs. 360 or Sony vs. MS thread. It just seemed like an unnecessary reach.

But, your point is well taken. MS isn't profitable in the console race. Now get back to us when Sony as a whole is any where near as profitable as MS is. Because this article was looking at Sony's whole business, not just the consoles.

PhatSaqs

Banned
argon said:
According to this AP article, Sony had three targets:

1) 2 million worldwide by the end of the year
2) 1 million in North America by the end of the year
3) 1 million in Japan by the end of the year

They missed #1 and #3 by ~500k, and had to divert consoles from Japan to meet their North America target.
So which way did they really bounce :lol

KTallguy said:

Doom and gloom INDEED!

Wow.

KTallguy

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
You have to understand that your post came across as a fanboy rant. While others were posting on the news specifically about Sony and it's business outlook, you decided to make it another PS3 vs. 360 or Sony vs. MS thread. It just seemed like an unnecessary reach.

But, your point is well taken. MS isn't profitable in the console race. Now get back to us when Sony as a whole is any where near as profitable as MS is. Because this article was looking at Sony's whole business, not just the consoles.

Agreed, I apologize for coming off that way. It was a bit of a reach.

Regarding, Sony's whole business, they need an iPod killer or they're screwed :p

KTallguy said:
Agreed, I apologize for coming off that way. It was a bit of a reach.

Regarding, Sony's whole business, they need an iPod killer or they're screwed :p

They've been trying to find that one for a long time. Heck, everyone has it seems. Maybe they can make in roads now that Apple is interested in the Cell Phone market. But in reality, it probably means that Apple has come to take Sony's cell phone market too. My god, the iPhone. It's full of stars! :lol

rage1973

LJ11 said:
You fail to take into account other parts of their business. Their movie business had a banner year, and with movies like Spiderman on the horizon it looks like another good year for that operation. In all honesty, the gaming division right now poses the biggest risk for Sony. Stringer and Co have straighten out most of their other divisions and returned them to some semblance of profitability. It just so happens that the operation that carried them through those "lean" years faces its toughest battle yet. This is more an article about Sony as a whole than it is on the PS3.

Edit: Companies lower expectations all the time, and then they beat those lowered expectations and everyone smiles. Under promise and over deliver is what someone once said.
Sony's outlook as a company is definitely improving thanks to the Sony studios division and their television division. But they have so much riding on success of Blueray/Playstation that next year's success is pretty much determined by how well those two products will do in marketplace. If I was Sony I would keep an eye on Apple moving more into their domain as they try to ride on success of the iPod into other consumer electronics lines.

Spike

Good for Sony! It's about time that some good news went their way. The PS3 will be a great system, and the Blu-Ray built-in will help movie sales too. They should just cancel all their standalone players and focus on the PS3 for their Blu-Ray player.

KTallguy

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
They've been trying to find that one for a long time. Heck, everyone has it seems. Maybe they can make in roads now that Apple is interested in the Cell Phone market. But in reality, it probably means that Apple has come to take Sony's cell phone market too. My god, the iPhone. It's full of stars! :lol

Yea, the iPhone is really incredible. It's a shame that it doesn't play games.

Honestly Sony, just shrink the PSP slightly, add some onboard flash memory, remove the UMD drive, and add that sweet touch screen. Then learn how to use music playlists and let us look at photos and listen to music simultaneously. I don't necessarily want a phone, just a do it all perfect multimedia device that plays games.

PhoenixDark said:
Didn't Sony lower their forecasts previously? And now they'e met them, or are on track to do so.

I can't say I'm impressed. "Sony Bounces Back" is far too much of a hyperbolic statement, especially considering what's happening. They still have shortages, an expensive console they're losing tons of money on, and losing exclusive software...yet, Sony is Bouncing Back. No.

It's not even about disliking Sony. I imagine if you really really like Sony you could read that one paragraph and sleep better at night; and likewise if you hated Sony you could read it and dismiss it. But from a business perspective, not clouded by fanboy bullshit, Sony hasn't bounced back from anything. I can't help but think that "5% profit margin" pertains to Sony the company, not PS3 the system. Because from where I'm standing, the PS3 won't be profitable anytime soon.

Remember the 360 drought that lasted all spring, despite analyists constantly declaring it over? Well the same thing is going to happen to the PS3. Like the 360, the PS3 is simply not at a mainstream price, and without the Christmas boost it'll have trouble. Especially at $600.

Certain dumbass fanboys (particularly PhoenixDark) around here can't differentiate between Sony Corp. (SNE) and its various divisions (ie. SCE... Sony Computer Entertainment, the gaming division).

This article talks about a lot more than PS3. Sonycowboy only quoted the first paragraph, where it mentions PS3 shipping to target. The rest of the article talks about other reasons of how/why Sony (not just SCE) is "bouncing back." But of course the fanboy in you (and some others here) fail to see this, referencing only PS3 as the sole reason why Sony isn't "bouncing back." This magazine is called BUSINESS WEEK and it's NOT a gaming magazine.

On a side note, I told my parents to invest in SNE (Sony Corp.) 4 years ago, telling them it'd hit at least $50 in 3-4 years. Well, they bought shares when SNE was at $29. Too bad they got impatient and sold at $39 less than a year later... ><

KTallguy said:
Yea, the iPhone is really incredible. It's a shame that it doesn't play games.

Honestly Sony, just shrink the PSP slightly, add some onboard flash memory, remove the UMD drive, and add that sweet touch screen. Then learn how to use music playlists and let us look at photos and listen to music simultaneously. I don't necessarily want a phone, just a do it all perfect multimedia device that plays games.

Give the iPhone time. I guarantee that it will play games. But they will probably be simple casual games though. Like on most cell phones. Have to admit though, that gesture system will make for some unique experiences.

But simple games are already available in for the standard iPods, this one will have 'em too.

Mojovonio

Banned
So now there's negative reports about Sony and how they missed their targets. Guess the universe always seems to balance itself out, huh?

LJ11

rage1973 said:
Sony's outlook as a company is definitely improving thanks to the Sony studios division and their television division. But they have so much riding on success of Blueray/Playstation that next year's success is pretty much determined by how well those two products will do in marketplace. If I was Sony I would keep an eye on Apple moving more into their domain as they try to ride on success of the iPod into other consumer electronics lines.

PS3 is a big risk for Sony because of everything that's packed in that box. Blu-Ray and Cell sucked up a huge chunk of R&D for Sony. I'm pretty sure Sony is going to use less proprietary formats and technology in the their next Playstation console. I don't think Stringer wants to leverage so much on one particular product. I could see them taking a page out of MSFT's book and going with standard parts to reduce R&D budgets.

Apple has already cut into their domain with the Ipod, and you never truly know what Jobs has in store for the future. It will be interesting none the less.

LJ11 said:
You fail to take into account other parts of their business. Their movie business had a banner year, and with movies like Spiderman on the horizon it looks like another good year for that operation. In all honesty, the gaming division right now poses the biggest risk for Sony. Stringer and Co have straighten out most of their other divisions and returned them to some semblance of profitability. It just so happens that the operation that carried them through those "lean" years faces its toughest battle yet. This is more an article about Sony as a whole than it is on the PS3.

Edit: Companies lower expectations all the time, and then they beat those lowered expectations and everyone smiles. Under promise and over deliver is what someone once said.

You failed to see this:
PhoenixDark said:
I can't help but think that "5% profit margin" pertains to Sony the company, not PS3 the system.

Their movie division did very well last year; record breaking. But this article seems to mix things up in order to project a nicer picture for the game's division, and people are eating it up. MS is very healthy as a company, but their games division is losing money. Sony seems to be in a very similar situation, although they aren't as healthy as MS for obvious reasons.

They're certainly not "doomed", and neither is the PS3. It's struggling right now, and it will continue to do so through the year like the 360 last year (spring). No one knows when things will change so there's no point in "predicting". It depends on a lot of things known and unknown (such as MGS4 and other exclusives surrounded by 360 rumors for instance)

TigersFan

I don't think this Stock increase really has much to do with the PS3 meeting any "goal". Stocks went up because Sony's TV division had a good holiday season, and hence some prominent brokerage firms (Goldman Sachs namely) upgraded their status to "buy".

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
TigersFan said:
I don't think this Stock increase really has much to do with the PS3 meeting any "goal". Stocks went up because Sony's TV division had a good holiday season, and hence some prominent brokerage firms (Goldman Sachs namely) upgraded their status to "buy".

Ding, ding, ding!

PhoenixDark said:
You failed to see this:
Their movie division did very well last year; record breaking. But this article seems to mix things up in order to project a nicer picture for the game's division, and people are eating it up. MS is very healthy as a company, but their games division is losing money. Sony seems to be in a very similar situation, although they aren't as healthy as MS for obvious reasons.

They're certainly not "doomed", and neither is the PS3. It's struggling right now, and it will continue to do so through the year like the 360 last year (spring). No one knows when things will change so there's no point in "predicting". It depends on a lot of things known and unknown (such as MGS4 and other exclusives surrounded by 360 rumors for instance)

I didn't fail to see what you wrote. In fact, I bolded it because it contradicts everything you said prior to that 1 line:

PhoenixDark said:
I can't say I'm impressed. "Sony Bounces Back" is far too much of a hyperbolic statement, especially considering what's happening. They still have shortages, an expensive console they're losing tons of money on, and losing exclusive software...yet, Sony is Bouncing Back. No.

Like I said, YOU were the one that failed to differentiate between Sony Corp. and Sony Computer Entertainment. You're trying to turn this article and thread into yet another PS3 vs. 360 (Sony vs. MS) prediction/debate, when it has nothing to do with MS/X360.

I just love how you contradict yourself over and over in this thread...

PhoenixDark said:
And is MS profiting? No. Why you brought them up is beyond me, althought I have a guess.

PhoenixDark said:
Remember the 360 drought that lasted all spring, despite analyists constantly declaring it over? Well the same thing is going to happen to the PS3. Like the 360, the PS3 is simply not at a mainstream price, and without the Christmas boost it'll have trouble. Especially at $600.

PhoenixDark said:

Top Bottom