• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

byuu's SNES preservation project: $10k in EU games missing in post. Update: Found!

Dabanton

Great news. But yeah it seems media coverage did its work in forcing UPS to at least start searching.

The sense of relief he must feel though.

Nice!

Agreed about the coverage. Looking at the box itself that is probably the same amount of effort I would put into taping it up. Guess in the future if I am sending something I really care about I will laminate the damned thing.

shandy706

Huge update, they've been found and recovered! https://byuu.org/emulation/preservation/found-package/

Great news!!!

And given how clearly labeled the package was, that it made it all the way to the Atlanta, GA recovery center ... where undeliverable mail goes up for public auction ... I really feel that more effort could have been made.
My package was sitting in Atlanta, GA for well over a month with my address clearly visible right on the box. Had this case not been escalated to the media, it likely would have gone up for auction in a bin with other electronics sometime in March.

....and these idiots were going to auction it off.

WTF?!

Rezae

Can you not call USPS and request an overgoods search? Maybe the box did fall apart or dumped the games somewhere and they don't have the box or label to have any idea where they go.

Probably stolen, but I know that FedEx at least has a pretty robust overgoods set-up where items are sent to and carefully catalogued.

Slim shot, but it is a shot.

So it was in an overgoods/overflow storage area? Nice. I work in the industry - highly recommend taking pics and knowing dimensions/weight of packages you send if they're valuable. I've seen some miracles found.

MLH

aha! What did I say? Once this hits social media then you'd see results! You shouldn't feel the need to apologize to USPS for accusing them of stealing. They fucked up, they didn't bother to really help you until you began to throw accusations and kick up a fuss, without doing that I don't think you'd have your games now.

Glad you've got the games safe and sound, both for you and the collector.
And it's good to see you haven't lost hope in your project, even if you'll be a bit more cautious going forward.

Don't ever think this project is not worth it. You're doing far more than even the original creators and publishers are doing to protect and preserve these titles. I and I'm sure many others have never said it before, but this means a lot to us. Good luck!

Tain

Good news!

I understand and fully respect the goal of complete preservation, so I get why this shipment is important, but the news got me wondering: does the SNES library have many PAL-only games?

What the fuck? You have no idea what you're talking about

It's a crack about how Nintendo may be downloading roms of its own games from the internet - at the very least, Super Mario Bros - to then use in its Virtual Console releases. Frank Cifaldi covered it in a GDC talk.

That said, still not the appropriate place or time for such a joke.

Good news!

I understand and fully respect the goal of complete preservation, so I get why this shipment is important, but the news got me wondering: does the SNES library have many PAL-only games?

Terranigma only came out in PAL territories with an English translation.

but the news got me wondering: does the SNES library have many PAL-only games?

I'm sure byuu will come in and school me, but my understanding is we can't necessarily make any assumptions on any single PAL game? So not limiting to PAL-only games, the whole library needs a run through.

But to actually answer your question, it does look like there are a decent amount of PAL-only games (sort by region): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_games

It's a crack about how Nintendo may be downloading roms of its own games from the internet - at the very least, Super Mario Bros - to then use in its Virtual Console releases. Frank Cifaldi covered it in a GDC talk.

That said, still not the appropriate place or time for such a joke.

I overreacted but it's important to stress that byuu is not making these games available or anything like that. Nintendo cannot download them.

Good news!

A quick search finds quite a few lists but one has to filter out the localised versions of Japanese games (e.g. Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden which I believe was French only, possibly Italian too). The list here looks good:
http://www.retrocollect.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=176
I'd say about half of it was localised games America didn't get.

TriAceJP

A happy ending but man what the fuck were the postal service doing, utter dogshit of a company.

USPS is pretty solid, I've had very few issues with them. Once you deal with international shipping, it becomes a complete shitshow.

Use FedEX for international.

The guy is too forgiving with USPS, it was their fault that the package got lost and they didn't even attempt to send it to the right person and were going to sell it off.

They don't deserve his apology.
In fairness, the initial working theory was that the box was stolen. That it turns out there was an honest mistake in routing is very much a less serious infraction. Now, should their sorting machines handle boxes more carefully? Probably. But it doesn't appear there was any malicious intent.

Springy

01ciob0.png
rawvwokp.gif

Chittagong

Gold Member
Really happy to hear they were found. Would you mind posting a higher res pic of the carts? I can tell they are rare as I know PAL games welI and can recognise only a handful of labels in low res - Vampire's Kiss, Mega Man X, Jurassic Park, Earthworm Jim, Daffy Duck, Flashback, Addam's Family, Bubsy, Castlevania IV

shandy706

Really happy to hear they were found. Would you mind posting a higher res pic of the carts? I can tell they are rare as I know PAL games welI and can recognise only a handful of labels in low res - Vampire's Kiss, Mega Man X, Jurassic Park, Earthworm Jim, Daffy Duck, Flashback, Addam's Family, Bubsy, Castlevania IV

I'd love closer shots just to admire them too. Good stuff!

ThEoRy...

Well that's a relief. I can't even imagine the grief and agony this has caused. Has to feel good that it's resolved.

The funny part is that them finding the package ultimately makes the USPS looks worse from a PR standpoint. It basically says "We couldn't care less about the problems of the customer, we'll only help to cover ourselves if it blows back on us."

I'd love closer shots just to admire them too. Good stuff!
Fiddle with the imgur urls. Remove the l from them like so:
https://i.imgur.com/cijC2a2l.jpg > https://i.imgur.com/cijC2a2.jpg
and the same for the other one

Remember that the ROM info will show up on https://preservation.byuu.org/ so that is another way of knowing what was in that batch. Of course looking there you see the other interesting thing about PAL is some games have a couple of variants (ah the days when you couldn't fit multiple languages at once).

HonMirin

Ah... A happy ending! Yay!

Speaking of which, someone should take this whole escapade and immortalise it as a mission in an rpg. Go on a quest to find customer services number. Head down into a dungeon to obtain the item code. Boss fight with head rep who denies you the treasure. Recruit sympathetic rep to help with your cause.

I'd play it.

jacobeid

Banned
Considering how much time I spend at working trying to get USPS to find legal documents they lost I am legitimately SHOOK that they found this. They never find shit. They never even respond.

USPS is pretty solid, I've had very few issues with them. Once you deal with international shipping, it becomes a complete shitshow.

Use FedEX for international.

I can not begin to disagree with you more. I track several hundred legal mailings through USPS each month and for the last year they have lost 14% of our mail. 14%. This costs the state tens upon tens of thousands of dollars. All domestic mailings, and most are even local.

Fuck the USPS.

Top Bottom