• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

byuu's SNES preservation project: $10k in EU games missing in post. Update: Found!

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
That really sucks.

I wonder if having the 1000 insurance actually puts you more at risk for theft by USPS employees? Surely they can see the insurance amount when processing? D-bags.

Sealtest

Honestly I'm not shocked. I've had terrible problems with my packages going missing but it usually happens once USPS at my PO Box street address gets a hold of them. Mine was just 6lb of turtle food and other turtle equipment so I got lucky.

Hopefully you hear back from your lawyer and get some good news.

NeOak

So, uh, then what's the point. He's preserving the library for himself?

Reading the thread helps.

Themoreyouknow.gif

SNES games were originally dumped by dozens/hundreds of different people, all using different copiers and different standards. Filenames would frequently get changed and ROM collectors couldn't tell if they had discovered a new ROM or if someone just didn't like the way the old one was named. When something like a translation patch came out, ROMs were frequently redistributed by people who thought they were doing the world a favor by patching a ROM and floating a pre-patched version into the wild.

The "GoodSNES" project tried to gather and sort that disorganized mess into good ROMs and bad ROMs.

They tested the ROMs by loading them into emulators (probably ZSNES, which is not a perfectly accurate emulator) and making a quick judgement on whether the ROM is good or bad. GoodSNES never actually re-dumped the games and looked to see if they were digitally perfect, they just played them to see if they played okay. That's how you get errors like those grey pixels on Spiderman's leg, with people saying "I didn't even notice something so small."

byuu personally redumping every single game and ensuring that each dump is digitally perfect is much more accurate than GoodSNES.

And on top of that, byuu is introducing a new standard for dumping. Many large SNES games create one big ROM by using two or more smaller ROM chips. The old dumping standard just smooshed the chips together and called it one big ROM, but that's inaccurate and it triggers things like the Earthbound copy protection. A truly accurate dump of a game should say so when one ROM is made out of two ROMs.

He's already said that's never going to happen. He would prefer not to be arrested for piracy.

But he is making the verification info available for his perfect copies. And defparam is working on trying to make an inexpensive version of byuu's perfect copier. That means that eventually you will be able to buy a perfect copier and dump your own perfect games, and you'll be able to confirm against byuu's mega-collection that your own mini-collection really is perfect.

If anonymous strangers on the internet choose to push their luck with the authorities and start trading perfect copies amongst themselves until a full-sized perfect collection is easily piratable, that's somebody else's concern. And it shouldn't be too much of a concern, IMO, because GoodSNES exists. The SNES piracy bird has already flown.

So, uh, then what's the point. He's preserving the library for himself?
That's what I was wondering. On the upside he provides a checksum value that people can use to verify roms on their own. However, he's technically pirating the whole library since he doesn't keep the original cart when he's done.

LQX

Yeah they stole that shit. I really, really, fucking hate the USPS for packages. Envelopes fine, but for boxes these fuckers are the worst in my area of NY. I don't even order as much from Amazon anymore because of how unreliable they are.

Please make sure you do indeed follow up with getting a lawyer and contacting the media and websites so news can spread.

How's this for an update? This just arrived in my mailbox today.

Machines my ass. If the label fell off, it would be right next to the box without a label. Employees at the Jersey City location just stole a box containing $10,000 worth of games. This is felony theft.

I will be contacting both the press and a lawyer.
Damn....that is depressing as shit. Holler if there is anything we can do to help.

Yeah they stole that shit. I really, really, fucking hate the USPS for packages. Envelopes fine, but for boxes these fuckers are the worst in my area of NY. I don't even order as much from Amazon anymore because of how unreliable they are.

Please make sure you do indeed follow up with getting a lawyer and contacting the media and websites so news can spread.
The worst part is they stole European games so they'll be likely useless to whoever has them.

Rezae

Can you not call USPS and request an overgoods search? Maybe the box did fall apart or dumped the games somewhere and they don't have the box or label to have any idea where they go.

Probably stolen, but I know that FedEx at least has a pretty robust overgoods set-up where items are sent to and carefully catalogued.

Slim shot, but it is a shot.

Squarehard

I've had that happen to a fairly expensive package before, and USPS didn't even retape the box properly, and it was just a round ball of cardboard with a bunch of tape around it, with a note that let me know my packages was inspected, but they couldn't figure out how to put it all back together. I wasn't aware when you inspected packages they needed to rip the box up into 20 pieces. It's called a box cutter bastards. ~_~

Timeless

You have to wonder why billion dollar companies like Nintendo wouldn't do something like this. It is always the amateur fans who do it. Sucks for the collector. I didn't know Mega Man X series was so rare. I have all 3 in my storage. Wonder what I could get for them.

Because they're a for-profit business? Why would they do something like this?

I mean I totally support what byuu is doing but the answer to your question should be obvious.

Disney maintains meticulous records of all its current projects. It also has done its best to archive its past work. Many in the film industry at least attempt to preserve their work, although to my knowledge, Disney takes archival and preservation the most seriously.

Notice that Disney is the king of re-releasing old and side content for new profits. Maybe there's money in it after all?

Rellik

Machines my ass. If the label fell off, it would be right next to the box without a label. Employees at the Jersey City location just stole a box containing $10,000 worth of games. This is felony theft.

Exact same bs excuse the Royal Mail gave me wheh my mail arrived open.

Disney maintains meticulous records of all its current projects. It also has done its best to archive its past work. Many in the film industry at least attempt to preserve their work, although to my knowledge, Disney takes archival and preservation the most seriously.

Notice that Disney is the king of re-releasing old and side content for new profits. Maybe there's money in it after all?

Disney is king of deliberately withholding stuff from release to drive up value too*. Very few other companies have the good will required for this to not be shooting themselves in the foot

*And considering how messed up IP rights are generally that's an impressive title.

Cheerilee

That's what I was wondering. On the upside he provides a checksum value that people can use to verify roms on their own. However, he's technically pirating the whole library since he doesn't keep the original cart when he's done.

It's not piracy if he deletes the ROM when he returns/sells the game. All he's really after is the checksum. I don't know if the old NeoGAF piracy rule is still in effect, but... no witch hunts. If it's possible that byuu's not pirating, then that means he's not pirating. Not unless he comes right out and confesses to piracy. And trying to pressure someone to confess to piracy is (was?) frowned upon.

(And even if byuu's committing some minor infractions here and there, I don't see how it matters when the entire SNES library has been pirated to hell and back.)

I've read it. There's little point to preserving the roms if nobody can access them. He could accomplish the same by storing the checksum files and deleting the roms after he gets those. Plus he's still pirating because he doesn't retain the original.

He's creating a dependable, organized list from a single, trusted source that other people can use to confirm their own (or perhaps pirated) ROMs.

Even Nintendo's Virtual Console is using inferior-quality ROMs downloaded from the internet. byuu's efforts do have a point. And he doesn't need to personally put his head on the chopping block to make piracy happen (if that's even his goal). He's building a new, superior standard for SNES ROMs. His friend is building a new-standard copier. I personally dumped all of my own SNES ROMs back in the day using a Game Doctor SF7, because I had access to a copier and thought that was a fun thing to do (it should go without saying but I didn't trade them online, there was literally no point in that, as everything was already widely available for download). I'm interested in picking up one of byuu's new copiers, and verifying against his checksums, because I would like to increase the quality of my lovely ROM collection. If I was inclined to piracy, I could then trade my ROM collection with someone else who had a copier, and after a few trades, the whole new-standard SNES library would be in the hands of pirates. Which is exactly how the old SNES library came to exist on the internet, except this time it would be done right, following an example laid down by byuu.

I hope you win against any opposition you face Byuu!

1upsuper

I'm so sorry this happened, byuu. Game preservation is very important to me, and this is a terrible thing to happen. I really hope that you're able to seek reparations from the USPS, or from whoever is at fault here.

On another note, it's pretty disgusting to see how many posts in this thread seem to suggest that the loss was somehow justified, or at least excusable, because the package was mailed by USPS/wasn't insured for the full amount. That isn't how this shit works. If someone forgets to lock up their bike, it's not suddenly a free bike. It's theft. Failing to take every precaution does not justify the worst case scenario happening. Good fucking grief.

Shaneus

Oh get the fuck out, that photo just made my heart break. Fingers crossed something can still come of this, but the fact they found the box but nothing inside it makes me think that the games are gone :(

Sorry for byuu and those who lost their carts, it's just devastating.

byuu

Many people are quick to jump on the seller for the insurance, yeah.

The donor posted it publicly, so I guess I can now, too.

The donor is on disability and income/housing assistance. There are serious implications for his family if he were to declare that he had $10,000 worth of video games to send me. I really hope I don't see anyone decide to attack him that he should "sell his games" now. Please don't go that low. This is his precious collection, and not being wealthy doesn't mean someone should be forced to give away their childhood game collection.

Furthermore, you can't just slap any arbitrary dollar amount on a package. Above 1000 Euros, you have to prove the value of your items. That's not so easy to do on retro games no longer for sale in stores.

Lastly, he didn't ship it through USPS. He shipped through Deutsche Post, who bought out DHL there. DHL were the ones to hand it off to USPS.

If anyone is to blame, it's me. He had a little over 400 games, and I asked him to please split it up so as to avoid risk if a package were lost or stolen. I told him to go with 100. I underestimated just how difficult it would be to replace 100 games. I fucked up. I am so very sorry for that. I have learned my lesson and I will NEVER EVER ship anywhere near that amount of cartridges again. And I sure as hell will never use USPS again. Not even for a regular letter.

JCG

There is no way in hell that "normal machine processing" would produce such a blatant result.

My biggest mail-related loss/confiscation/robbery hasn't gone above $100 USD in value, which still hurts a little after all these years, but something like this is just on a whole other level of shameless.

I don't know what are the chances of a successful legal case going through, yet I'll join everyone else in giving you all of my moral support.

Oh this was shipped via DHL then handed to USPS?

I hate DHL more than USPS. I ordered a couple cases of different Takara Transformers. They where shipped from Japan in Sept. 2015, but around Oct/Nov. 2015 declared lost and I at least got a refund.

In Nov. 2016 I get a call from DHL saying they packages turned up at some local Auto part dealer. Apparently they've been there for a year, and no one bothered calling me(my info was all over it, even my address, they could have mailed me a letter). DHL also said the local shop kept calling but no one would answer but they eventually got through. So DHL sends FedEx to pick up the packages and bring them to me. All my packing slips are missing, and one item from each box is missing.

To this day I'm convinced the DHL driver/worker took out the contents, and just delivered it somewhere else or held onto it for a year then eventually dropped it off at a random location. I wanted to call the company who got the packages, but I figured I'd let dead dogs lie. I came out ahead in the end since I got the original refund. Although I still want to call just to get the full story.

But this soured me from ever using DHL again.

Muninn

Banned
This is so fucked up. I hope resolution is swift. I can't believe what they wrote.

This would leave me devastated. I hope it all works out.

Oh this was shipped via DHL then handed to USPS?

I hate DHL more than USPS. I ordered a couple cases of different Takara Transformers. They where shipped from Japan in Sept. 2015, but around Oct/Nov. 2015 declared lost and I at least got a refund.

In Nov. 2016 I get a call from DHL saying they packages turned up at some local Auto part dealer. Apparently they've been there for a year, and no one bothered calling me(my info was all over it, even my address, they could have mailed me a letter). DHL also said the local shop kept calling but no one would answer but they eventually got through. So DHL sends FedEx to pick up the packages and bring them to me. All my packing slips are missing, and one item from each box is missing.

To this day I'm convinced the DHL driver/worker took out the contents, and just delivered it somewhere else or held onto it for a year then eventually dropped it off at a random location. I wanted to call the company who got the packages, but I figured I'd let dead dogs lie. I came out ahead in the end since I got the original refund. Although I still want to call just to get the full story.

But this soured me from ever using DHL again.

More than half of the times I chose to go with DHL have made me vow to not use them again and actively discourage others from doing so too.

Most postal services are crap, so when I pay a premium for a company like DHL I expect a lot better. I want more protection from things piercing the packages, on fragile and easily crushed items and speedy delivery.

The last and final straw was them sending me a bill after I had already received my package that was more than the cost of the package plus shipping and I refused to pay it.

More than half of the times I chose to go with DHL have made me vow to not use them again and actively discourage others from doing so too.

Most postal services are crap, so when I pay a premium for a company like DHL I expect a lot better. I want more protection from things piercing the packages, on fragile and easily crushed items and speedy delivery.

The last and final straw was them sending me a bill after I had already received my package that was more than the cost of the package plus shipping and I refused to pay it.

My business does a lot of sending samples overseas, but we never had any trouble with our goods. I don't even think we insure our stuff. Granted At most the things we sent are worth $20 or less.

That picture reminds me vividly of the time I found the box for my FedEx package outside in the dumpster on the day it was delivered, contents missing. Nothing could be proven, in the end.

So, yeah, don't assume your FedEx carrier is any less opportunistic.

Yuuuuuuup. I got one of those too. I still have no fricken idea why :/

tsundoku

Many people are quick to jump on the seller for the insurance, yeah.

The donor posted it publicly, so I guess I can now, too.

The donor is on disability and income/housing assistance. There are serious implications for his family if he were to declare that he had $10,000 worth of video games to send me. I really hope I don't see anyone decide to attack him that he should "sell his games" now. Please don't go that low. This is his precious collection, and not being wealthy doesn't mean someone should be forced to give away their childhood game collection.

Furthermore, you can't just slap any arbitrary dollar amount on a package. Above 1000 Euros, you have to prove the value of your items. That's not so easy to do on retro games no longer for sale in stores.

Lastly, he didn't ship it through USPS. He shipped through Deutsche Post, who bought out DHL there. DHL were the ones to hand it off to USPS.

If anyone is to blame, it's me. He had a little over 400 games, and I asked him to please split it up so as to avoid risk if a package were lost or stolen. I told him to go with 100. I underestimated just how difficult it would be to replace 100 games. I fucked up. I am so very sorry for that. I have learned my lesson and I will NEVER EVER ship anywhere near that amount of cartridges again. And I sure as hell will never use USPS again. Not even for a regular letter.

if thats how the law works then thats how the law works? he should just lie about having 10000$ in material goods so he doesn't have to pay taxes on them?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
31f71db433d2db1f493e13b57ab15d0b.jpg

Because US did not go with the alphanumeric superior U.K. option that essentially enables the zip code to map to your freaking house ;). Royal Mail FTW?

;)

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm really sorry for this, byuu. Your work in SNES emulation is bar none the best. It's heartbreaking to see it suffer like this because some asshole probably opened that box, saw what was in there and decided to get his, fuck all.

Hopefully you putting pressure on USPS makes someone take action and the package is finally found. Hoping for a happy ending!

Also. Holy crap, all these people jumping in 6, 7 pages into the thread, not reading it and still making "sharp" comments like "who uses USPS, lol". Read the thread, please.

Top Bottom