• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California gov to work with China on clean energy tech, defying US reversal

On Tuesday, California Governor Jerry Brown and China’s Ministry of Science and Technology agreed to work together on climate issues. The governor pledged to work with China to push forward clean energy technology like carbon capture and storage, emissions trading, and other “climate positive” efforts, according to Reuters. The news comes just a week after US President Donald Trump announced his intention to withdraw the US from the Paris Agreement.

A press release on the governor’s website added that Brown also signed an agreement with Jiangsu Province, home to 80 million people, to work together on “clean energy technology to help improve and advance energy efficiency and storage, renewable energy, grid modernization, zero-emission vehicles and low-carbon urban development.”
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/06/california-gov-to-work-with-china-on-clean-energy-tech-defying-us-reversal/

5th largest economy in the world. They can do whatever the fuck they want.

vB9B5.gif

Osukaa

I hope something really great comes out of this. I know alot of people say it and trust me California is far from perfect but I am really glad to live in the "Golden State" Hopefully more states get on board. Its funny how China is getting really involved in this. If you woulda told me a couple of years ago that China was shaping up to be a leader in clean energy tech I woulda laughed.

wutwutwut

What will have a real impact: relaxing zoning regulations, taking power away from NIMBYs, and building dense cities.

Darknight

Still cant believe people who see States/governors doing this as an "attack".

Motherfucker, this will help humanity! Party before country couldnt be a better way to describe these assholes.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
California may have its issues, but it's stuff like this that makes me proud to be a part of this state.

Nowy

I wonder if Trump will try and use Article 1 Section 10 of the Constitution to get them to stop.

I wonder if Trump will try and use Article 1 Section 10 of the Constitution to get them to stop.

Even if he tries or threatens to I can imagine the Governor just telling him to fuck out like he basically did when Trump was threatening to cut off federal funding to the state. I can even imagine the soundbite: "He wants us to follow the Constitution, he needs to do it himself and lead by example." This guy really hasn't taken any shit from Trump.

I'm so glad such an influential state (and my home state for a while) continues to do the right thing. Imagine if California's political identity was overwhelmingly right-wing. That'd be fucking awful.

ccbfan

State rights baby!!!

Hopefully now people understand why having too powerful of a federal government is a bad thing. It's great when your guy is in power but when it's the complete opposite it's a terror.

Even if he tries or threatens to I can imagine the Governor just telling him to fuck out like he basically did when Trump was threatening to cut off federal funding to the state. I can even imagine the soundbite: "He wants us to follow the Constitution, he needs to do it himself and lead by example." This guy really hasn't taken any shit from Trump.
Nullification Crisis 2017. I'd love to see that.

Don't leave my state out lol NY and Wash are right there alongside Cali.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Climate_Alliance

220px-Resistance-to-us-withdrawal-from-paris-agreement2.svg.png

The true, better America

Isn't DC a member at this point?

Anyway, I watched Bowser's comments on local news. Virginia and DC repping! Love it. Now let's get Maryland on and get that DMV trifecta.

What I love most is all of those states make perfect sense to be in this since they will be among the ones affected the most and first...except for Colorado. So random. I mean, it's good so don't get me wrong, but it is so random compared to the rest lol

Not that random. Colorado is a blue state. Also, while I'm not a Coloradan, I've been there like 7 or 8 times and my brother went to college there. I've hiked, biked, done wilderness challenges, skid and snowboarded there and met many Coloradans in the process. You get the sense (backed up by articles like this:
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2015/11/19/colorado-voters-worried-about-climate-change-ok.html) that it's one of those places where a higher-than-average number of people on the right worry about climate change. They want to preserve their state and you don't have to have been there to know why. In terms of natural identity of America (i.e., pertaining to nature), Colorado is like a poster child.

numble

1ryKZal.jpg

Jerry Brown actually had talks with Xi Jinping on climate change--it is rare for a governor to meet with the Chinese president for formal talks:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/06/world/asia/xi-jinping-china-jerry-brown-california-climate.html

For Mr. Xi, Mr. Brown's visit could not have been better timed — allowing him to act on declarations that China would now become a global leader on climate change.

It is unusual for a Chinese president to meet with an American governor in such a formal setting in Beijing. Mr. Xi's session with Mr. Brown was covered extensively by the government-controlled news media. The state broadcaster featured it as the second story on the evening news, after a feature on China's ambitions in outer space, an indication of the meeting's importance to the ruling Communist Party.

At such a volatile moment in Washington, the meeting allowed Mr. Xi to focus on the common ground China shares with some American politicians. China has historically maintained relationships with leaders of parties not in power as a practical matter, in the West and in places like Myanmar and Taiwan.

Gary Locke, a former American ambassador to China and governor of Washington, said Chinese leaders were ”well aware" that Mr. Brown was considered a ”strong leader" on climate change and a critic of Mr. Trump.

Analysts said that Mr. Xi might have also wanted to show Mr. Trump that China was willing to work around him by strengthening ties with allies like Europe, India and California. Mr. Brown's endorsement may also serve as a buffer against critics who say that China is moving too slowly to curb emissions.

Mr. Xi met with Mr. Brown in a gold-covered room in the Great Hall of the People where he often meets visiting foreign leaders. In their 45-minute conversation, Mr. Xi was joined by his top foreign policy officials as he discussed with Mr. Brown efforts to reduce carbon emissions and promote alternative energy. As a gift, Mr. Brown gave Mr. Xi a first-edition copy of ”The Mountains of California," a 1894 book by John Muir, a naturalist who wrote extensively about the splendors of the California wilderness.

”I would say that the California-China collaboration has taken a real leap forward," Mr. Brown said as he recounted the meeting for reporters.

Top Bottom