• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California takes Scotland's approach to election results, rejects Trump values

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazele

Banned
Depends.

California sends out more money than it receives from the federal government. It is a net subsidizer of the government.

Yep, this is what people don't realize

Also a lot of the country's agriculture is based in california

I don't think secession is likely, even if I understand the desire to do it

Not

Banned
Fucking so glad to be here, especially after I checked our ballot results.

Wish the death penalty was gone and big pharma had gotten theirs, but still pretty reassuring stuff.

Zubz

Banned
My job kind of has me chained to Pennsylvania for the time being, but as soon as I earn my licenses, I'm honestly considering making a move.

bronk

Banned
More reason for me to move to California.
Way too much traffic man its unbearable. Also the south bay is pretty much a desert nowadays. Im thinking Colorado. I live in San Pedro by the way. This whole cali living is a lil over rated if you ask me.

kiriin

I'll stick in MA thank you. Funny how you all forget us when we outliberal everyone. Even our Republican governor publicly left his presidential ballot blank over voting for trump.

And it's not just this election, were usually always at the forefront of good changes. Like the beginning of gay marriage, yeah we started that.

My Polsci professor often describe Boston as a sheltered bubble compare to some of southern states that he used live in.

iamblades

Would be interesting to see the Democrats pull a 180 and start advocating state's rights and limited federal government.

I'm thinking they will be regretting the expansion of administrative powers under Obama though(to be fair he was just continuing and extending the gradual expansion that has been going on since Wilson).

In particular the use of guidance letters(sort of like a cease and desist from a regulatory agency) in the place of formal regulations to avoid notice and comment periods and legal challenges seems like a particularly devious practice that is ripe for abuse.

Korey

I don't think people comprehend how economically large CA is:

-1x-1.png

If the West Coast + Northeast states seceded together, would we have enough military to fend off the rest of the country?

Time to form the Blue States of America.

Yup I'm proud as fuck to be a Californian. We also passed prop 63, a gun control measure.

Also fuck this was so well written. I teared up reading it.

Washington Oregon and California were always the best parts of the country.

I'm proud to be a native Californian, now living in Oregon. My mom was born in Washington too and that is where my closest extended family is, even her hard christian fundamentalist republican sister, who knew from the primaries that Trump was bad news and refused to accept him as her candidate. We're the best coast, and even before I read this I was beginning to seriously identify myself as a West-Coastian more than an American.

-1x-1.png

If the West Coast + Northeast states seceded together, would we have enough military to fend off the rest of the country?

Secession is a nice concept, but that shit won't fly, we just have to buckle in and ride out the shitstorm with everyone else. We Dems need to get our game faces on and show up for the 2018 elections, and get damn competitive for the nomination. Not like 18 candidates like the Repubs had, but rather that I think we need to vet our next candidate through fire in a tough primary. We need to stick around to reform the red states too, as Herculean a task as that seems right now. I'm hoping Orangey is just terrible enough to be impeached or otherwise unelectable for a second term (because hopefully we get some real voter remorse in the swing states), but not terrible enough to cause permanent damage on the world. It's a fine line...

This is petty, but I'm not just extremely damn disappointed in my country for the normal ways, but because we'll have to talk about this asshole all the time now. I was so ready to never fucking mention him again.

Draxyle

Neo Member
This statement is what gives me hope as a Californian. Trump will do a ton of damage, but we're not going down without a fight.

And as much as I would love to secede, the rest of the country would be sent into an eternal Republican hellhole if we did, and I don't wish that on anyone.

norm9

Secession is crazy talk. But I think it's fair to say the US needs California a heck of a lot more than California needs the US.

Technically, California needs the US, specifically the Colorado River a lot. Secession ain't happening. How would tourism, a big portion of the Calis economywork?

Prologue

Maybe I'm not realistic but I feel Obama/Hillary should have said the same thing.

Instead of the old "we need to be united" sham.

Tripon

Dollar Trees are everywhere in SoCal. Don't know about the north.

You can probably make most areas of California affordable if you're willing to lower your standards of living.
Daiso Japan are in both Norcal and SoCal. Everything is $1.50 and the store is very pink.

Amikami

Banned
So proud to be a Californian right now. Really is the best coast. As crazy amazing as secession sounds, its also crazy silly thinking. People are still reeling is all. No one is seceding. CA ain't got the means (military power) to secede from the rest of the union who will never let it willingly because what it brings.

As shit as this has been, America is still our country and we need to stick around to help save it, not run. I wouldn't blame a fellow woman, or ethnic or sexual minority for it though. I have to same thoughts and feelings. If California in some alt universe did actually make an attempt to secede with me in it and could actually pull it off, can't say I would be able to dredge up the strength to say no.

http://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/i6yklh_KmTlU/v2/-1x-1.png

It is large. But compared to the other states combined, it's suddenly a lot less impressive again. Even if you group in Washington and Oregon it's only about 20% of the rest of the states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom