• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu Mafia |OT| Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!

Why would CoC protect anyone else, even other cults

They want other possible cults dead, wouldn't they

And they REALLY wouldn't want to protect any neutral killer of any sort

Droplet

Huh. You guys think there's a second cult? I had assumed that it was just that we missed whoever the cult recruited the other night.

But probably best to assume the worst.

Well, Zatoth did say we killed all the Cult of Cthulhu members, so it's fair to think there's another party at work here.

I know we sort of went over this last day phase, but ultron, any reason why I should trust that the last party isn't just you? You really didn't kill LoC?

Zatoth

Never Forever's message from beyond
Say you'll remember me,
Standing in a nice dress
Staring at the sunset, babe
Red lips and rosy cheeks
Say you'll see me again
Even if it's just in your
Wildest dreams

Flame_AC

You know, I had a feeling NF would be the one to be killed tonight, that's unfortunate. I'll post again in a little but expanding on what I think we should do today.

And yes, I'm fine with extending the day by one real day and shortening the night.

Whoever has the book, I think it might be a wise move to keep quiet about it, use it tonight to experiment the way Never Forever was planning to, and report tomorrow

If a second Cult exists, I believe they may be intimately involved with the book in some way. I felt safer about it after Cthulhu's role blocker died, but now we have a whole other problem to worry about. Maybe the book is now even more dangerous with the first Cult gone.

I've been flip-flopping on this issue throughout the whole game, and once again I have become wary about item claims. We don't know its true purpose, if it even has one, and suddenly the picture has become all the muddier.

ultron87

Well, Zatoth did say we killed all the Cult of Cthulhu members, so it's fair to think there's another party at work here.

I know we sort of went over this last day phase, but ultron, any reason why I should trust that the last party isn't just you? You really didn't kill LoC?

Not really besides my word. I'll say that if I had killed LoC and, therefore, had the greatest Vigilante hit rate of all time, I probably would've taken the credit for it.

I just realized that the Cthulhu cult managed to kill exactly one person (Fireblend on Night 1) in their entire existence. That's wonderful.

Does anyone know what players are in US it Europe? I want to know when I should reasonably expect activity from them, because a few people have stayed very low, to the point where I flat out want to demand then to speak up. I don't really want to waste a lynch in these players, so I want everyone to be more active.

As it stands, I'm not going to count on any more luck in this game. We're likely the luckiest game right now. 2 of our scum kills were nightine vigilante shits and the other felt very last minute "we better lunch something, let's just roll the die and see what happened."

If a second Cult exists, I believe they may be intimately involved with the book in some way. I felt safer about it after Cthulhu's role blocker died, but now we have a whole other problem to worry about. Maybe the book is now even more dangerous with the first Cult gone.

I've been flip-flopping on this issue throughout the whole game, and once again I have become wary about item claims. We don't know its true purpose, if it even has one, and suddenly the picture has become all the muddier.

Well, we know what to do

VOTE: nin1000

Consider this as an attention grabber. It's much too early in the day for me to decide do anything.

I want information on the book and book ALONE. Don't try to distract here. Whoever has the book right now better not claim, unless nin makes a major lie or tries to bs us

At this point, I'm tired of relying on the book to give us anything. It's a tedious process, and I can't fully trust those who have spent a night with it in any way.

Give us every single thing on the book. I want all the info we can get. This thing needs to get out into the open, and every other book holder is gone for now. I have feeling that, should the cult control the book, they've kept you, the book holder with the most suspicion on him, alive to get more attention on you. So I only want a short and sweet explanation on the book, as well as it's last power

Oh, and preferably don't respond to this immediately, I want other people to comment on whether we should bring the book out into the open too, as well as point things out they I likely missed

Droplet

Not really besides my word. I'll say that if I had killed LoC and, therefore, had the greatest Vigilante hit rate of all time, I probably would've taken the credit for it.

I just realized that the Cthulhu cult managed to kill exactly one person (Fireblend on Night 1) in their entire existence. That's wonderful.

Fair enough.

More interesting to me is if indeed we have a second cult, then we managed to go this whole time without one of them dying. That's 4 lynches and one Cthulhu-kill. Maybe Neuro or Sorian could have belonged to them, but we have no way of knowing. So how the hell did they manage to slip under the radar this long? We're down by exactly half now.

I don't think we gain anything by putting everything out in the open right now. If there was something truly critical we're missing we would have heard it by now. The drip feed of information is tedious, yes, but it's the only way we can be sure about the book's path through the player list. We don't know that the pattern will be useful to us at any point, but I'd rather not poison the well and lose any possible benefit.

I think nin should keep quiet, as should the person who has the book now (until tomorrow).

Fair enough.

More interesting to me is if indeed we have a second cult, then we managed to go this whole time without one of them dying. That's 4 lynches and one Cthulhu-kill. Maybe Neuro or Sorian could have belonged to them, but we have no way of knowing. So how the hell did they manage to slip under the radar this long? We're down by exactly half now.

There could just be very few of them. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say there's two, with the ability to recruit two Insane Tourists. And we did find one of them (Darryl), we just didn't realize at the time.

Another thing that adds credence to the 2nd cult idea was blarg's requirement. That's something that had puzzled me the entire time. I guess we could say insane tourist, but it could hint to 2nd cult too

My other idea is a lone player or duo that may not even be cult but something related to the old gods directly. Of course, this is reaching tinfoil hat levels so I'll stop here

Flame_AC

I'm with Hyperactivity on the quest for more information. I think that's why whoever has the book should reveal themselves.

And just so my vote is out there:

VOTE: RetroMG

I'm going to keep leaning on my read of you until someone else posts more about the book or I think of a better target.

I'm just throwin' this out there, but what if th' remainin' evil power isn't a second cult at all, but somethin' even more sinister? What if evil walks among us, and is hell-bent on draggin' us inta th' depths'a madness?

So how did NF die?

Well, obviously it still killed 'im, but what I'm thinkin' is that it ain't a group that we should be worried about but one solitary force that'll keep huntin' us til eitha we're all kaput or it gets the kibosh put on it. I mean, why else could we've gone this long without encounterin' anotha anti-tourist role unless they're workin' alone? You'd think we'd've known a long time ago if there were two cults.

RetroMG

I'm with Hyperactivity on the quest for more information. I think that's why whoever has the book should reveal themselves.

VOTE: RetroMG

I'm going to keep leaning on my read of you until someone else posts more about the book or I think of a better target.

Fair enough. I'm hanging on to my vote until I see someone worth voting for.

Well, obviously it still killed 'im, but what I'm thinkin' is that it ain't a group that we should be worried about but one solitary force that'll keep huntin' us til eitha we're all kaput or it gets the kibosh put on it. I mean, why else could we've gone this long without encounterin' anotha anti-tourist role unless they're workin' alone? You'd think we'd've known a long time ago if there were two cults.

This is true. Wouldn't we kinda figured out that there was a second cult? This is what I'm feeling right now. It's one person, but that one person has the ability to either A.) Kill someone during the day and end it fast but no be able to kill that night or B.) Be able to kill 1 person at night but maybe he can recruit? I would lean towards the 1st though the possibility of recruitment could make sense...hm...also. Who has the book?

We did encounter that role. Insane Tourist. The Cult of Cthulhu was not capable of recruitment, at least as far as we know from their role text. At the time of Darryl's death we had no reason to believe there was more than one group of Cultists, so we didn't see that clue for what it was. But Timeaisis did:

The issue there is, and this has been kind of bugging me all game, is there another faction at play here? We know we've got cultists, sure, but i get the nagging feeling that there's some other faction pulling the strings. Seems very odd to me that two cultists are already down. Could be nothing, though.

A second Cult is a threat to the first one, and here Time is trying to clue us into their presence. Darryl also mentioned a third faction on Day Two. I'm guessing he noticed the differences in win condition phrasing that I mentioned at the start of this day.

As to why we haven't found an actual member of another Cult, it's because they would have been indistinguishable from a Tourist while we were laser-focused on the minions of Cthulhu, and there probably aren't very many of them if they had the ability to increase their number. Keep in mind that our losses so far have been heavily clustered around neutrals and Cthulhu Cultists, with two more roles completely unknown. It's not a surprise to me that we haven't seen hard evidence of a second Cult.

We did encounter that role. Insane Tourist. The Cult of Cthulhu was not capable of recruitment, at least as far as we know from their role text. At the time of Darryl's death we had no reason to believe there was more than one group of Cultists, so we didn't see that clue for what it was. But Timeaisis did:

A second Cult is a threat to the first one, and here Time is trying to clue us into their presence. Darryl also mentioned a third faction on Day Two. I'm guessing he noticed the differences in win condition phrasing that I mentioned at the start of this day.

As to why we haven't found an actual member of another Cult, it's because they would have been indistinguishable from a Tourist while we were laser-focused on the minions of Cthulhu, and there probably aren't very many of them if they had the ability to increase their number. Keep in mind that our losses so far have been heavily clustered around neutrals and Cthulhu Cultists, with two more roles completely unknown. It's not a surprise to me that we haven't seen hard evidence of a second Cult.

There could've been one person to start the cult but they had the ability to recruit? Could that make sense?

ultron87

This is true. Wouldn't we kinda figured out that there was a second cult? This is what I'm feeling right now. It's one person, but that one person has the ability to either A.) Kill someone during the day and end it fast but no be able to kill that night or B.) Be able to kill 1 person at night but maybe he can recruit? I would lean towards the 1st though the possibility of recruitment could make sense...hm...also. Who has the book?

Where did the idea for that first ability come from? And, boy, you sure are interested in that book, huh. Why is that exactly? Why would knowing who has it help? You also were after the other living book holder, Nin, yesterday.

Vote:TheWorthyEdge

Just to let everyone know where I'm currently at.

give that we're undecided on what to do for book info

VOTE: johnnyquicknives

You're the most inactive player of the bunch, and I want to hear you speak up, even if it is to tell us that you're busy.

I'm not actually voting for you here, I just want to hear some stuff. Looking through all your old posts, the thing that stands out to me the most was your suspicion of Timeaisis, which looks good until we start to factor in the 2nd cult.

I'm not saying you're in it, I'm saying I don't have any sort of read on you whatsoever right now, and I want to change that (with the side effect of making this thread more active, which means more posts because higher standards for activity, which means more stuff to catch people on).

All I'm sayin' is that who or whateva is recruitin' those nutty tourists might be more than just yer runnathemill cult leader.

What if somethin' from beyond time an' space is now sittin' smack-dab in our midst, ready t' prey offa th' madness and paranoia we've wrought?

What if Those Who Sleep ain't so sleepy any more?

All I'm sayin' is that who or whateva is recruitin' those nutty tourists might be more than just yer runnathemill cult leader.

What if somethin' from beyond time an' space is now sittin' smack-dab in our midst, ready t' prey offa th' madness and paranoia we've wrought?

I've actually thought about this idea

Regardless, asides from beng prepared for them having a much more powerful role, I think the objective is the same. Lynch them and be done with it

Worst worst worst possible scenario is some devilish stupid thing where defeating the Cult of Cthulhu allowed some being to wake up that could only be defeated by using the book erase feature, and I doubt that that's likely

Worst worst worst possible scenario is some devilish stupid thing where defeating the Cult of Cthulhu allowed some being to wake up that could only be defeated by using the book erase feature, and I doubt that that's likely

It's okay. I'm sure we've got somethin' watchin' over us too. Shadow can only exist if there is light, after all

I'm drowning in your flavor. I can't even tell if you're trying to speculate about game mechanics here.

Droplet, you never voted last day phase did you?

Actually, looking back, a good number of people flat out haven't voted for the past two days (a full 5, 1/3 of the player base, never voted on the Coppanuva lynch)

I'm sure everyone of you can realize why this would pose a problem, given how we need voting records to string together patterns and give us leads.

Also, about 1/3 of our players haven't posted at all since the day began. I'm going to wait till the full day passes, but I'll probably go after whoever isn't active (or stays suspiciously at the threshold of active/inactive) for today, in lieu of other options for today's lynch

Droplet

Droplet, you never voted last day phase did you?

Actually, looking back, a good number of people flat out haven't voted for the past two days (a full 5, 1/3 of the player base, never voted on the Coppanuva lynch)

I'm sure everyone of you can realize why this would pose a problem, given how we need voting records to string together patterns and give us leads.

Also, about 1/3 of our players haven't posted at all since the day began. I'm going to wait till the full day passes, but I'll probably go after whoever isn't active (or stays suspiciously at the threshold of active/inactive) for today, in lieu of other options for today's lynch

Yeah. Sorry. School started last week and I honestly forgot I was playing when the last part of the day phase rolled around. I didn't have a good read on anyone who we were voting on at the time so I was abstaining for the time being. I won't do it again.

As always, I don't mind going after inactives if there are no better options, but I'd prefer going after someone who we have a lead on. I'm still wrapping my head around the second cult idea, but I think it's the best we have to go off right now.

Here's my thought:

Case one: ultron was a two-shot vigilante (as he claimed) and we have a second cult. In this case, LoC died from using his power. There is no second cult able to kill yet, but it's possible they're able to at least attempt recruitment. They may have gotten someone, they may not have.
Case two: ultron's a dirty liar, killed LoC because reasons, and is later going to kill us all.

The main reason I'm inclined to believe it's case one is the strange results we got on night three. If ultron really did kill LoC, it doesn't explain the lack of a second kill without roleblocker antics. In addition, I don't understand why Time would have thought that it was LoC's power backfiring on him if he didn't actually know that it was.

The outer gods ideas...I'll wait for further proof on that. I'll run with the second cult idea for now as I think it's the best option. As for a vote...I'll have to think about it more.

nin1000

Banned
Does anyone know what players are in US it Europe?

EU germany here 9 am AS it stands. Was out with my GF lasr night and had no time to check in earlier.

Well fuck, there i thought the game could have been over but the thought about another cult just makes me shiver. Reading through the day atm.

So yay or nay on the Information about the book ? I could just post the wall of Text i got the day i recieved the book.

EU germany here 9 am AS it stands. Was out with my GF lasr night and had no time to check in earlier.

Well fuck, there i thought the game could have been over but the thought about another cult just makes me shiver. Reading through the day atm.

So yay or nay on the Information about the book ? I could just post the wall of Text i got the day i recieved the book.

If there's something absolutely vital that we haven't heard yet, go ahead and share it. But I still think it's important to hold stuff back so we can reliably track its movement. Whether or not that will help us in the end, it certainly won't hurt us.

nin1000

Banned
If there's something absolutely vital that we haven't heard yet, go ahead and share it. But I still think it's important to hold stuff back so we can reliably track its movement. Whether or not that will help us in the end, it certainly won't hurt us.

Since i share that line of thought , i am not going to share the Information.
Since we now got another cult in the mix my thoughts have to be reconsidered.

Thanks, sorry, I just want to get a feel for timezones before trying to call out too many specific people for being inactive. Nay for now, I'll go with ROTY for a bit, and as for you, I'm not so concerned anymore. Thinking it through and with the likelihood of a 2nd cult, I don't think you're as big of a target anymore

My one concern is if they decide to kill you tonight. So long as they leave us with just one alve book holder, we won't have information on the book we can trust. And given that we want the current book holder to stay quiet, if he comes forward tomorrow than we won't necessarily be able to trust him. I'm interested in what you guys think about this possibility.

Was there anything that could hint at an external source for the book, someone influencing it or anything similar?

Yeah. Sorry. School started last week and I honestly forgot I was playing when the last part of the day phase rolled around. I didn't have a good read on anyone who we were voting on at the time so I was abstaining for the time being. I won't do it again.

As always, I don't mind going after inactives if there are no better options, but I'd prefer going after someone who we have a lead on. I'm still wrapping my head around the second cult idea, but I think it's the best we have to go off right now.

Here's my thought:

Case one: ultron was a two-shot vigilante (as he claimed) and we have a second cult. In this case, LoC died from using his power. There is no second cult able to kill yet, but it's possible they're able to at least attempt recruitment. They may have gotten someone, they may not have.
Case two: ultron's a dirty liar, killed LoC because reasons, and is later going to kill us all.

The main reason I'm inclined to believe it's case one is the strange results we got on night three. If ultron really did kill LoC, it doesn't explain the lack of a second kill without roleblocker antics. In addition, I don't understand why Time would have thought that it was LoC's power backfiring on him if he didn't actually know that it was.

The outer gods ideas...I'll wait for further proof on that. I'll run with the second cult idea for now as I think it's the best option. As for a vote...I'll have to think about it more.

Nah, it's cool, I just wanted to bring the problem out into the open to comment on it. I'm not advocating to kill inactives. I hate it, it feels like a "we have no better option" lynch and I'd like to avoid it as much as possible. But if need be, I'm willing to put pressure on people who aren't saying much.

Yeah, the more I think about the chance of nin1000 getting night lynched, the less I like it

I'm going back to saying yay on the book info, although I feel like there should be some sort of consensus on this

nin1000

Banned
Yeah, the more I think about the chance of nin1000 getting night lynched, the less I like it

I'm going back to saying yay on the book info, although I feel like there should be some sort of consensus on this

Since the day Phase is going to get extended we at least have a lot more time oncour hands to talk about it. Like i said earlier for now i will stay quiet but i am willing to Sharing the last bits.

About another player lying about the book, well as soon as all the Information is out in the air , everyone can claim to have the book.

If nin stays quiet and gets killed, we can't trust the next claim.

If nin reveals all, we can't trust the next claim.

If nin stays quiet and lives, we can trust the next claim.

I think nin should stay quiet.

If nin stays quiet and gets killed, we can't trust the next claim.

If nin reveals all, we can't trust the next claim.

If nin stays quiet and lives, we can trust the next claim.

I think nin should stay quiet.

If nin reveals all, we have information

He also gets rid of a target on his head, and I bet there's plenty of flavor or other stuff that could still help us confirm the new book holder if nin lives (assuming it doesn't change. If it does, we still have info)

Since the day Phase is going to get extended we at least have a lot more time oncour hands to talk about it. Like i said earlier for now i will stay quiet but i am willing to Sharing the last bits.

About another player lying about the book, well as soon as all the Information is out in the air , everyone can claim to have the book.

OF course, which is why I can see the other side of the argument.

It all comes down to what we want right now, and I'm going to say that banking on other people's actions is a worse idea.

On top of all of it, if we get a bunch of book claims, I'm willing to bet at least one or two aren't looking out for the town's best interests. Hoorah, we have a lead to go on that day

nin1000

Banned
Well fuck , i can understand both sides.
Like i said earlier , since we have a bit more time in our hands i will love to hear from other players what they are thinking.
But thank you both for chiming into that conversation.

Droplet

Well...shit. Okay. I have the book. People seem to be pressuring nin and I don't want to lose my chance to claim.

I don't remember exactly what we've covered so far, but I think a new power (maybe the last?) is to protect someone from being killed this night. I'm interested in the insanity thing, but I haven't decided what I'll do tonight.

Well...shit. Okay. I have the book. People seem to be pressuring nin and I don't want to lose my chance to claim.

I don't remember exactly what we've covered so far, but I think a new power (maybe the last?) is to protect someone from being killed this night. I'm interested in the insanity thing, but I haven't decided what I'll do tonight.

Don't tell us what you've decided on the use of the book

nin1000

Banned

Just get through the claims again and look what has not been covered so far , since everything you will say now can and will be used against you.

One or two would be my guess. One or two Insane Tourists, as well. So with Darryl dead, we're looking at 1-3 mystery Cultists to hunt down. That's my theory.

This makes sense right here. I'm thinking at the most 2. I just don't see this one being as close to Cthulhu Cult in regards to size.

VOTE: RetroMG [/highlight

This is how I feel about the book. The more information the better I feel. But that could go either way in some of your guy's eyes. I especially wanted more knowledge on it yesterday because it was all really hazy.

Where did the idea for that first ability come from? And, boy, you sure are interested in that book, huh. Why is that exactly? Why would knowing who has it help? You also were after the other living book holder, Nin, yesterday.

Vote:TheWorthyEdge

Just to let everyone know where I'm currently at.

The ability from the first one came from literally the top of my head though it makes sense. I've seen some power roles such as this in other Mafia games where a group didn't have all of their actual power until the other group died. Maybe after Cthulhu died they went to max power limit and was now able to use this Kill command?

I can agree to this. A vote on if we talk about the book more or not? Yeah. A lot of information will actually come out of this vote so why not.

Top Bottom