• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu release date revealed - 30th October

Skyn3t

Banned
So Steam just gave a release date of Call of Cthulhu developed by Cyanide, a game heavily inspired by Chaosium's pen and paper RPG and the works of Lovecraft of course. No info about the release date on the consoles, but we can safely assume it will launch on all platforms simultaneously.

DiscoJer

The first survival horror game, Alone in the Dark, was originally going to be a Call of Cthulhu licensed game, but they instead used the licensed for a point & click adventure.

Still, this looks more based on The Shadow Over Innmouth

klosos

Nice I've been looking forward to this and Sunken City. ill definitely will be picking this up at some point. Unfortunately releasing 4 days after RDR2 means i wont check this out until late November/ December.

also if you like Lovecraftian lore , theirs a new game out on early access called lovecrafts untold stories which looks very interesting as well

Last edited:

Helios

Still, this looks more based on The Shadow Over Innmouth
I'm going to guess they're going to take the Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth approach. Start with Shadow Over Innsmouth to ease people into the setting than escalate it into Dagon and Call of Cthulhu

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Would you look at that? The RPS treehouse is now floating about in the infinite unknown – the video team’s lemons vanishing one-by-one into the cosmic abyss. I guess the Old God’s were hungry. This is what happens when you spend upwards of several hours with ‘Lovecraftian’ Detective Thriller, Call of Cthulhu 2018 – the official adaptation of the tabletop RPG.

At first, I was a little puzzled as to how a Lovecraftian game could truly work without your imagination doing all the heavy-lifting, something I’m sure the tabletop role-playing games (of which this is the official adaptation) benefited from. Turns out, trying to solve horrors of the universe in a first-person horror game of the PC kind still works to keep your spines-tingled and your gooses-bumped.

Here, I talk a little bit about why I think it works so far (hint: it has a lot to do with its ability to test your sanity). With stunningly realized locations, well-crafted Sherlocking gameplay, and the kind of cosmic horrors that will plague your waking thoughts or at least meal time if you’re about to tuck into fish pie, Call of Cthulhu is pretty insane – I mean that in a ‘hip’ way of course, like ‘dreamy’ or ‘groovy.’

plushyp

Now this is interesting... the video advises against putting points into eloquence at the start of the game as it "alienates the inhabitants" from the player and instead to invest them into practical skills. Quite the reversal from what is generally the norm.

petran79

Banned
Steam should also replace Dark Corners of the Earth with the GoG version and make a Lovecraft Steam sale bundle

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Call of Cthulhu has gone Gold - watch the Preview to Madness Trailer Call of Cthulhu, the official videogame adaptation of Chaosium’s pen-and-paper RPG, has gone Gold, ready for its release on October 30 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

Today, dive into the Preview to Madness Trailer for a taste of the press’ first impressions, joined by a dose of Lovecraftian madness.

With Call of Cthulhu releasing in under two weeks, members of the press have already gotten their hands on the early hours of Detective Pierce’s haunting investigation.

Today’s trailer explores praise for the game’s distinctly Lovecraftian atmosphere, mesmerizing audio and visual design, as well as the RPG-investigation mechanics that allow players to discover clues, draw conclusions, question locals and survive the island’s cosmic horrors.

In Call of Cthulhu, nothing is as it seems.

Terrible creatures, conspiracies and cults await on Darkwater Island, lining the path to the horrifying truth behind the island. Pierce’s mind will suffer – solving the case will bring him to brink of insanity, to a place where death may appear the most favorable outcome.

The player’s senses will be challenged to the point of questioning whether everything and everyone is real or illusory. Creeping shadows hide lurking figures… and all the while, the Great Dreamer prepares for his awakening.

Call of Cthulhu releases for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC on October 30. Digital and retail preorders are available on PC and consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom