• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulu in development for PC/next-gen consoles by Frogwares (Sherlock Holmes)

Nemesis_

Their Sherlock Holmes games are pretty average, and there were some with some game breaking bugs that forced you to restart.

I'm excited because I love this kind of game, but I'm honestly not holding my breath. :(

Loved this game to bits. Dark Corners was also very good despite some problems and bugs.

927865091-00.jpg

Doctor Cobble? Delighted to make you acquaintance.

Yes, one of the best adventure games. Loved it.

Midou

average devs. I kind of hate them for never releasing a truly great SH game

I thought Jack the Ripper was pretty great. I feel it accurately captures how Sherlock Holmes would have handled it.

They even went into the real case really deep.

How was the last Sherlock game? I keep seeing it on Steam, but I've never tried one of their games before. I got super hooked on Sherlock the television series, so I've been meaning to give one of their games a try. The only thing I know about their games is that funny youtube video of Watson constantly appearing behind the player and the hilarious Justin McElroy Giant Bomb E3 live show after hours discussion about one of their Sherlock games a few years ago. I love adventure games, so maybe I should check these guys out.

Blizzard

Banned
I like Lovecraft stories, as cheesy as they can be, but the art for this game already looks terrifying, so I probably wouldn't even manage to play it. :p

Midou

How was the last Sherlock game? I keep seeing it on Steam, but I've never tried one of their games before. I got super hooked on Sherlock the television series, so I've been meaning to give one of their games a try. The only thing I know about their games is that funny youtube video of Watson constantly appearing behind the player and the hilarious Justin McElroy Giant Bomb E3 live show after hours discussion about one of their Sherlock games a few years ago. I love adventure games, so maybe I should check these guys out.

People seem kind of split on them, but adventure game sites and adventure fans generally give them favourable reviews.

The team clearly works with few resources but has good ideas in terms of story concepts. Testament and now even more-so crimes and punishment, are looking more like regular games, but Jack the Ripper and older titles show the limited budget of the games.

I'm a pretty huge Sherlock Holmes fan and I find the games satisfying from the perspective of 'hey, woulden't it be cool if Sherlock Holmes tried to solve the Jack the Ripper case?'. That game in particular is filled with actual case notes and files from Jack the Ripper, a lot of suspects and leads make their way into the game.

The puzzles are bizzare sometimes, but this is where UHS Hint is nice, sometimes a small hint is all that is required.

I've only beaten Testament and Jack the Ripper so far though, I tried their first one, something about a mummy, and it was a bit too low budget and janky even for me. :p

It takes some time to get over their lower budget qualities, but I think Sherlock Holmes fans who stick with them should be mostly satisfied. I'm sure there are huge fans of adventure games and Sherlock Holmes that would hate them, but that is life.

Also, I think the Watson voice actor they use, at least in the last few games, is fantastic, his voice is more perfect than any TV show or movie adaptation.

Taruranto

This reminds me, people who liked the first half of Dark Corners of the Earth should give the Darkness Within series a try. Very spooky but obscure Horror series featuring the Cthulu mythos.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
This is good news and I'm glad to see someone running with the license again.

There was a sequel to Dark Corners of the Earth called Destiny's End that was under development at Headfirst when they folded up shop.

I made a video about Lovecraft games this last summer, if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk2KigdcNxU

Wolff

If it is as good as Dark Corners of the Earth that would be amazing. Anyway i'm in, can't wait to see what this turns out to be.

Psykoboy2

I literally JUST did an interview with them about Sherlock. Seriously...an hour ago I was on Skype recording an interview and they brought up this game. It was the first I'd heard of it and she couldn't say very much at all about it.

I literally JUST did an interview with them about Sherlock. Seriously...an hour ago I was on Skype recording an interview and they brought up this game. It was the first I'd heard of it and she couldn't say very much at all about it.

So we probably shouldn't expect anything more concrete than a press release stating they are still working on this game for the time being, then ? :)

I want an At The Mountains of Madness game

And a Guillermo del Toro movie :)

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

PLEASE BE AMAZING, OR AT LEAST GOOD.

I've wanted this for years ever since that other CoC game was canned after CoC:Dark Corners of The Earth didn't do so well.

Damn shame, DCoTE was fucking amazing! Such a beautiful realization of Lovecraft's material, and a pretty great survival horror game.

Xpliskin

Halloween month ? Halloween month.

Awwwwwwww yiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssss.

EDIT : Announcement was back in January, totally missed it. Smh.

This is great news. Always love me some Frogware games. Between this and Agustin Cordes recently revealed Case of Charles Dexter Ward I'd say Lovecraft fans are in for a real treat!

Psykoboy2

So we probably shouldn't expect anything more concrete than a press release stating they are still working on this game for the time being, then ? :)

For the most part. She said she couldn't say more until marketing says it's okay. We'll air the interview on Saturday night during the radio broadcast - In-Game Chat, by the way.

Psykoboy2

So I just went through making edits to the interview and listened again to the part where she talks about this. She isn't allowed to say much until marketing says it's okay, but she did say it would be an investigation type game. I'm taking this to mean something in the point-and-click genre or something along the lines of the current Sherlock style of gameplay.

So I just went through making edits to the interview and listened again to the part where she talks about this. She isn't allowed to say much until marketing says it's okay, but she did say it would be an investigation type game. I'm taking this to mean something in the point-and-click genre or something along the lines of the current Sherlock style of gameplay.

Understood. Ethan Carter : finished, time to launch that new Sherlock Holmes game, investigate some crimes and give out some punishments.

Top Bottom