• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty:Black Ops Declassified (Gamescom 2012)

test_account

XP-39C²
So it really was Nihilistic? Good to get that confirmed at least. I'm still getting the game. Looked kinda "slow" in the stream, but i'm not sure if that was the stream or the game itself.

Haha 4 vs. 4.
I'm not the biggest CoD fan, but I was hoping this game would get some interest going for the Vita. Guess that was hoping for too much.

Pooya

they really couldn't port the real thing over? yeah, i know ports are bad etc, but in case of a CoD game a port of the real thing was much better with cross play features. not like this.

they managed to port CoD4 to Wii after all, this should be possible.

nikatapi

It doesn't look very good, i expected better visuals from this game, what is shown in the trailer looks really bland.

I find this whole ordeal so frustrating because from the outset of the Vita Resistance and CoD were both games I was extremely interested in.

What a waste of potential.

Chittagong

Gold Member
expected clusterfuck, got clusterfuck. This is pretty sad. Clearly what happened was that Activision had no intent to put one of their teams on CoD Vita. Sony moneyhatted it, and even arranged the developer for it given Activision wasn't assigning one. So they put one of their first party fame on it. Here we are.

Sianos

25z1ab5.png

Anything I could say about this game's reality vs. its hopes would be better represented by McKayla Maroney's face.

So it will be.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Can we get a FPS for the Vita that isn't made by Nihilistic? Resistance Burning Skies was downright awful based on the demo and this doesn't look much better.

It'd be nice to give another developer with more talent a shot at making a FPS for Vita before people write off the system entirely when it comes to FPS. I guess Killzone is the next big attempt, but it would be nice to have another developer with a better pedigree give it a shot.

How do we know it's a rushed timeframe?

It's from a developer that focuses on one (bad) game at a time, and their last game was released in May. This is the first we've seen of the game because despite being "a huge deal" there's been nothing but a logo and a title until now, indicating that this is the first time they've had something they're able to show, which looks awkward and unfinished. The game comes out in a few months.

StuBurns

Banned
Trailer seems to give that away, unless we want to go the other direction and just say they are awful developers.
So do all the CoD trailers I think.

It looks bad graphically, but so do all the other CoDs too.
It's from a developer that focuses on one (bad) game at a time, and their last game was released in May. This is the first we've seen of the game because despite being "a huge deal" there's been nothing but a logo and a title until now, indicating that this is the first time they've had something they're able to show The game comes out in a few months.
That's purely speculative. The studio has over sixty employees, they could have easily had a second team on this for quite a while.

JABEE

Why would they put Nihilistic on the Vita version of the most popular title right now in gaming. Activision must have no interest in portable games. It does surprise me that they don't care about the quality of developer working on their flagship IP. You would think Activision would have enough sway to get an A-team working on this game.

whitehawk

Banned
Can we get a FPS for the Vita that isn't made by Nihilistic? Resistance Burning Skies was downright awful based on the demo and this doesn't look much better.

It'd be nice to give another developer with more talent a shot at making a FPS for Vita before people write off the system entirely when it comes to FPS. I guess Killzone is the next big attempt, but it would be nice to have another developer with a better pedigree give it a shot.

Uncharted is the best shooter on the systems right now, but even that is more action adventure than shooting. COD Vita made by a great dev team would be amazing.

As I posted in the Gamescom thread:

If COD:BLOPS for Vita supported cross-platform play with BLOPS II for PS3 it would have been an extremely compelling reason to buy a Vita for me. They could have even followed the example set by Wipeout 2048 - let the PS3 users download the Vita maps for free, and then allow cross-platform play on those maps, keeping the reduced player count and lower visual fidelity.

But it looks like this game runs on an entirely different engine from the console Call of Duties, so this might not have been feasible.

kuroshiki

Why would they put Nihilistic on the Vita version of the most popular title right now in gaming. Activision must have no interest in portable games. It does surprise me that they don't care about the quality of developer working on their flagship IP. You would think Activision would have enough sway to get an A-team working on this game.

Definitely thinking that nihilistic is cheaper.

So why nihilistic even exist?

That's purely speculative. The studio has over sixty employees, they could have easily had a second team on this for quite a while.

It's possible that they've changed their structure in the last year or two, but it isn't just speculative.

http://www.nihilistic.com/index.php/about

Nihilistic is an independent game developer located in Marin County, California. Founded in 1998, we focus on one solid title at a time. We believe in hiring the best creative, dedicated, talented people and letting them do their jobs.

Kazerei

Banned
Damn, everyone ragging on Nihilistic. IMO they've got a pretty solid FPS engine on Vita to start with. They just need to work on level design, pacing, removing the shitty touch controls, enemy AI, story ... basically everything else >_>

So do all the CoD trailers I think.

It looks bad graphically, but so do all the other CoDs too.
It's not just the graphics, it's the limited ambition (apparently no campaign, they just talk about missions). A lengthier dev cycle would lead to a larger scope, which clearly does not exist here.

The Vita is a whole other tier of bad compared to a 360, man.
Compare Killzone 3 to Killzone Mercenary and then any recent CoD to Declassified. Do you really not see how massive the difference is? It's even more pronounced by the fact that the same thing happened with the Resistance franchise.

StuBurns

Banned
It's possible that they've changed their structure in the last year or two, but it isn't just speculative.

http://www.nihilistic.com/index.php/about
You're saying you believe they made this in two months? I seriously doubt that.
Compare Killzone 3 to Killzone Mercenary and then any recent CoD to Declassified. Do you really not see how massive the difference is? It's even more pronounced by the fact that the same thing happened with the Resistance franchise.
Mercs looks no where near KZ3 quality, this looks no where near CoD:BlkOps quality, I'd say the disparity looks about the same. Seriously, people should actually check out BlkOps on PS3, it is one of the ugliest games I've ever seen.

You're saying you believe they made this in two months? I seriously doubt that.

Resistance was probably done in April. 4 months seems about right. Pretty sure Treyarch made Call of Duty 3 for like every system in 8 months. They seem to be using the resistance engine for this so it was just matter of throwing a CoD skin on it

zroid

Banned
CoDs may repeatedly be uninspired rehashes, but at least they're good games for the most part. With Nihilistic helming this one, a good game is one thing we definitely know Declassified will not be.

In other words, this isn't going to save the Vita. At least Tearaway and hopefully AssCreed will be good.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Somehow to me the shared content seen makes it look more like an enhanced Wii up port than a multiplat or downport style game. I didn't think it would have to be so downgraded, just maybe run at lower frame rates but keep the rest of the elements. I'm kind of disappointed, but maybe I was led to believe Vita is more powerful than it is (since I was impressed by the Wii ports which were clearly worse than this visually, but for the platform and budget/time given they were impressive, not to mention their great controls). If it had been for 3DS and run in 3D it would have been impressive in that context, I wonder if they have n-Space working on a 3DS from the ground up game like they did for DS and if it will also look worse than I expect it would.

CamHostage

they really couldn't port the real thing over? yeah, i know ports are bad etc, but in case of a CoD game a port of the real thing was much better with cross play features. not like this.

Or just release the damn multiplayer maps and quit pretending that this is a full production effort with SP and MP. Port the COD engine and make a cross-platform release of just the multiplayer mode so that players can earn their Elite points when on the go. Instead, this is bound to be a lesser experience in every way and will not satisfy the CoD hype wave that Vita has been trying to ride.

From what I see, this is an arena combat game with some story wrapping up the various battles ala games like UT3. That's fine for a little side-game release, but don't act like this is the "real" call of Duty experience. I wish Nihilistic well in delivering a game that now defies expectations and is worth all the pre-orders and price (I usually don't balk at portable game price parity, but $50, really Activision?), but from the look of that trailer, there's still a lot of work to be done to deliver what this system deserves.

Top Bottom