• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts min specs: x64 OS, 6GB RAM, 550Ti DX11, 50GB HDD. Recom: GTX780

stef t97

Even though it's the quake 3 engine I'm really not that surprised. For example when i play CoD4 i can hold 333fps. When I'm recording a demo with a movie config that quickly drops to around 100. Just the combination of higher quality assets plus some commands we will probably be able to disable means these specs are very possible.

I don't understand your argument. How are these two statements contradictory?

And how is it a "narrative" when Infinity Ward has come right out and said so?

My point is that, if we've been seeing the high end PC versions being passed off as next-gen version, then why do we expect the retail PC version to be better than the "PC versions" we've already been seeing. Which is it...

Next Gen games can be running on a PC, but that PC is running in an emulator like dev mode where it's basically like it's running on the console.

A computer wouldn't have to emulate these consoles. X86 doesn't have to emulate x86

Skeff

I don't understand your argument. How are these two statements contradictory?

And how is it a "narrative" when Infinity Ward has come right out and said so?

I think this disagreement comes from 2 different view points from the information we have, neither bit of information is technically contradictory.

1: PC has higher quality assets than next gen
2: The footage we have seen is PC and not very impressive.

The two way's of looking at it are:
1: The footage shown was equivalent to the next gen version and the PC version will be better.
2: The footage shown was just the PC version and next gen will be uglier.

As we haven't seen the Next gen version yet we have no way to actually tell which is which.

In my opinion, the version shown is the PC version and the console version will be worse, I'm aware they said representative, But they said that for the Battlefield 4 presentation at the Microsoft conference at E3, we know how that turned out...It was just straight up the PC version on max settings, no compromises.

gribbles

Banned
It'll be pretty hilarious if the PC version graphically turns out to be exactly identical to PS4/Xbone versions with no improvements whatsoever.

Nethaniah

It'll be pretty hilarious if the PC version graphically turns out to be exactly identical to PS4/Xbone versions with no improvements whatsoever.

This would not suprise me one bit, i think most cross-gen games will only offer better IQ.

Best i could see is from stuff like the Nvidia/Ubi deals where it offers improved SSAO (or HBAO+ apparently) and TXAA (which imo falls under IQ.)

coddog.gif

Someone should shop in the dog biting down a gtx770 or something

Damian.

Banned
50 GB for what?

It's a safe number for them, you need at least 50GB free to install the game. The download size of the game will be ~30GB more than likely. Not that large compared to some other games that have come out recently.

Naminator

Banned
LOL I don't get why people are freaking out about the 50Gb requirement. Didn't they say that Ghosts is going to have much higher quality assets in the game? Things like 4K textures I believe. Well those things take a LOT of HDD space, so start stocking up on them 3Tb hard drives.

2San

How much higher than a 780 can you get?

Are we expecting only Tri-SLI Titan rigs to be able to run ultra? It's COD, man. There are no official standards for what "minimum" and "recommended" will mean for each game. For some games recommended might be medium, for others it might be what you need to get high/ultra running at a playable framerate. We really need to see benchmarks before people lose their minds more over this game.
That's why I'm surprised. :p

But yeah we need to see the benchmarks first.

Eknots

How can this require a 780 for rec when watch dogs only requires a 670? Have a feeling this is going to be the most poorly optimized game we've seen since metro 2033 with tess

Principate

Saint Titanfall
My point is that, if we've been seeing the high end PC versions being passed off as next-gen version, then why do we expect the retail PC version to be better than the "PC versions" we've already been seeing. Which is it...

A computer wouldn't have to emulate these consoles. X86 doesn't have to emulate x86

Umm because not all pc are the same... Even if normal maxed out settings remain you can always increase the frame rate, AA and resolutions by having a better pc. Same with all games.

Geoff9920

How can this require a 780 for rec when watch dogs only requires a 670? Have a feeling this is going to be the most poorly optimized game we've seen since metro 2033 with tess
As several others have mentioned it likely includes high-end niceties like HBAO+, TXAA, & PhysX in the "recommended" spec. All features that are wondereful ways to kill your performance.

Damian.

Banned
As several others have mentioned it likely includes high-end niceties like HBAO+, TXAA, & PhysX in the "recommended" spec. All features that are wondereful ways to kill your performance.

Including PhysX I'm surprised they didn't recommend an SLI 780 setup. Only having one will surely run like dog shit with it turned on.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I call bull, this game looks nowhere as good as even BF4!
You're right but FB3 is a modern engine and, even then, runs somewhat poor in the beta stage.

Sometimes those older engines with new features bolted on end up running the worst. Look at Splinter Cell Conviction and it's UE2.5 base. Runs like shit even on modern PCs. Was poorly optimized for PC and 360 despite the old engine base.

Z3M0G

The Squads mode probably is what warrants the 6GB RAM. It's not just you but you plus AI teammates plus your buddies plus their AI teammats plus the enemies plus THEIR AI teammates.

shit gon get cray

lol, never heard of this... will console version skip this mode entirely then?

Man these system requirements are beautiful. And I bet this is not the maximum of what we'll see around launch for next-gen titles.

Don't get the hype behind TXAA, it is a horrible form of AA, looks terrible in my opinion, seems like Nvidia are just throwing this in to every game now hoping it is going to stick.

As far as the specs are concerned on this game, there is no way this should be so demanding, it looks like complete garbage honestly.

Sentenza

It would be pretty hilarious of the PS4/XBO version performs better than the PC version at equivalent GPUs.
It would be baffling if they don't, actually.

Then again, I wouldn't really expect more than marginally better performances at hardware parity. Nothing of that "console magic optimization 3X the powah" bullshit.

Durante

What makes you come to that conclusion?
Well, you call it a "horrible form of AA", when it accomplishes the purpose of AA (anti aliaising, that is) better than any other current AA technology in terms of efficiency (aliasing reduction per performance).

You might not like the tradeoffs chosen (prioritizing defeating all forms of spatial and temporal aliasing over perceived spatial sharpness, particularly in still frames), and that is your right, but that does not make it a horrible form of AA.

Well, you call it a "horrible form of AA", when it accomplishes the purpose of AA (anti aliaising, that is) better than any other current AA technology in terms of efficiency (aliasing reduction per performance).

You might not like the tradeoffs chosen (prioritizing defeating all forms of spatial and temporal aliasing over perceived spatial sharpness, particularly in still frames), and that is your right, but that does not make it a horrible form of AA.

Ok well let me rephrase myself, in terms of reduction of Aliasing I agree, it does a great job, however the tradeoffs as you mention make it not worth using over other forms of AA, just my opinion of course but other high end AA solutions do just as good a job without the drawbacks that TXAA offers.

AkuMifune

Banned
This sounds about right for a straight dump to PC of an unoptimized next-gen launch game.

Things will start to look much better and specs should stay about the same I think. But who knows? Exciting times!

Also, never playing CoD again. Too old for this shit.

velociraptor

Uh isn't that the whole point of the low level APIs on consoles?
Dunno, GAF told me you can build a gaming PC for the same price as the PS4. Although this is obviously factually incorrect.

As much as the next guy, I want a nice gaming PC. However, there is no chance in hell anyone can sustain a $400-500 rig for an entire generation. But I'm honestly surprised at the high spec requirements of COD and Watch Dogs. They are far higher than I anticipated.

Another problem I have with 'gaming rigs' is the amount of power they require. They suck up more electricity (and thus money) than your average console.

When can we expect monster GPUs which only require a 300W PSU?

It wouldn't surprise me if my PC forms a major part of my electric bill. 2500k, 6950OC, 600W PSU. This can't be cheap.

KKRT00

Dunno, GAF told me you can build a gaming PC for the same price as the PS4. Although this is obviously factually incorrect.

As much as the next guy, I want a nice gaming PC. However, there is no chance in hell anyone can sustain a $400-500 rig for an entire generation. But I'm honestly surprised at the high spec requirements of COD and Watch Dogs. They are far higher than I anticipated.

Another problem I have with 'gaming rigs' is the amount of power they require. They suck up more electricity (and thus money) than your average console.

When can we expect monster GPUs which only require a 300W PSU?

It wouldn't surprise me if my PC forms a major part of my electric bill. 2500k, 6950OC, 600W PSU. This can't be cheap.

i5 2500k and 760 based PC consume less than 300W and is almost two times faster than Your 6950.

Top Bottom