• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts PC performance thread

Syf

Banned
Windows 8
i7-3770k @ 4.3 GHz
16 GB DDR3-1866
2x GTX 680 SLI
Game installed on an SSD

Never drops below 60 FPS on max and I don't get any stuttering (probably thanks to the SSD & RAM). Haven't experienced any instability either. The game looks better than I thought it would, but you can tell it's an older engine trying to do more than it efficiently can. Next game needs to be on a new one.

I was trying to play the game through on PC to review it, but eventually, I had to give up. I thought it was a result of my PC being just slightly above minimum recommended requirements, but even borrowing more RAM and a better video card didn't help. I had to suffer through crazy stuttering everywhere (even in cutscenes or QTEs), no matter if I was playing the game with high details in normal resolution or the lowest details possible+640x480.

8 seconds of gameplay, 6 seconds of freeze. Repeat. At this moment, the game is basically unplayable for me. (And for various reasons, I spent a lot of time trying to make it work at all). Horrible port.

AdemoN

I was trying to play the game through on PC to review it, but eventually, I had to give up. I thought it was a result of my PC being just slightly above minimum recommended requirements, but even borrowing more RAM and a better video card didn't help. I had to suffer through crazy stuttering everywhere (even in cutscenes or QTEs), no matter if I was playing the game with high details in normal resolution or the lowest details possible+640x480.

8 seconds of gameplay, 6 seconds of freeze. Repeat. At this moment, the game is basically unplayable for me. (And for various reasons, I spent a lot of time trying to make it work at all). Horrible port.

What hardware are you running? I was going to attempt to run it on the following system and not really sure if it's worth trying before upgrading the processor and graphics card later in the year:

Processor: Celeron G530 2.4GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Graphics: ATI HD5670

Nabs

What hardware are you running? I was going to attempt to run it on the following system and not really sure if it's worth trying before upgrading the processor and graphics card later in the year:

good luck

I tried to run it on a machine that's at least 150% as powerful (same RAM, though) and it was unplayable. Wait for upgrade (and patches).

Durante

I can't believe "image quality" is even a setting, and that "extra" is actually "the actual fucking resolution you wanted in the first place"
I actually think it's a good idea to have such a setting. It's just that the name sucks and that it should go beyond 100%.

I actually think it's a good idea to have such a setting. It's just that the name sucks and that it should go beyond 100%.

Yeah, I can understand why it'd be useful - but hiding it behind innocuous wording isn't helpful to anyone.

Battlefield 4 gets it better with their resolution scale option and its description. That game also defaults to displaying the resolution you chose 100%, though.

I can't believe "image quality" is even a setting, and that "extra" is actually "the actual fucking resolution you wanted in the first place"

It can be a good thing, especially those who want the UI at native res, but running the game at a lower one for performance (laptop users etc). The naming of it sucks however and can lead to confusion, and it would also have been great for it to go further and start downsampling too, but alas.

Did any of you 4GB/RAM fix users have any problems with textures? I just can't set them to anything above Normal - I try to do it, but game just reverts them back to Normal. All other options work fine.

By the way, I'm able to play it just fine with almost all options on max (turned off HBAO+, chose SSAO High instead), but then again, I can tolerate stutters and somewhat low FPS overall. But using snipers just kills the fun and it's really uber-annoying. Can't tell you my exact FPS, since Afterburner doesn't work in Ghosts for me (any solution to this? Already turned off Steam overlay). I'm running it on:

Core 2 Duo E8400 @3GHz
4GB RAM
GTX 560Ti
1600x900

Omega

Banned
I can't even play the single player. It constantly keeps freezing. I've turned down graphics settings to see if that would make a difference and still, freezes galore. anyone else having this problem?

Wouldn't be as bad if the loading screens weren't 2 minutes long. I've nearly memorized the whole story the old dude tells his kids in the beginning about Ghosts pretty much because you can't skip the cutscene until like halfway in..

PCGH review

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Call-.../Call-of-Duty-Ghosts-Test-Benchmarks-1095801/

AA comparison

ixoq46tGqpx8w.png

ibcpI3euygWmtX.png

idczI2sRYFmiS.png

ib11w0gG1C4E8K.png

LeBart

Did any of you 4GB/RAM fix users have any problems with textures? I just can't set them to anything above Normal - I try to do it, but game just reverts them back to Normal. All other options work fine.

I have the same issue.
edit: I did some snooping around. It seems like it's indeed an unfortunate side effect of the RamFix. We'll just have to wait for a patch (unlikely) or a new version of the fix.

legacyzero

Banned
670 2gb
8 GB ram
3570k 15

nothing overclocked.

I get GREAT framerates in MP, but it's almost unplayable because of all the stuttering/hitching.

I don't know why, but it stutters like crazy on my computer. I can play Battlefield 4 on Medium-High settings just fine, but this, NOPE. Gotta play on low, and it still stutters.

antitrop

i7-2600k @ 4.4GHz
GTX 590
16GB RAM

Game is fucking unplayable. I can't shoot people, the game is stuttering and jerking all over the place.

Thanks to whoever suggested setting Aspect Ratio to 16/9 instead of Auto. It works, now the graphics aren't blurry anymore.

Has Activision even acknowledged the stuttering problems on PC yet?

Hurley

Fuck sakes I'm sick of this fucking fatal error bullshit.

Get into a game with good latency then halfway through game locks up and crashes with that stupid error.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I am getting audio skipping. Does anyone else have these issues? Audio just cuts out and then back in for short bursts.

Aerocrane

670 2gb
8 GB ram
3570k 15

nothing overclocked.

I get GREAT framerates in MP, but it's almost unplayable because of all the stuttering/hitching.

Are the menus effected by the stutter as well? Try going to friends menu and appear offline on Steam. My friend had the same issue and it reduced the stutter, although it didn't completely get rid of it.

Yuripaw

Banned
This might be a dumb question that most PC people don't wanna hear...but I gotta ask because I'm considering what platform to get this on.

Does the PC version of this have any type of dedicated servers/matchmaking like the console versions do? I have some previous entries of CoD on PC, and I know a lot of you PC players prefer it this way, but I hate server browsers, especially for games like this where the server host sets all these damn kind of rules, or only sticks with one friggin map the whole time. It makes playing with people using the basic rules hard as hell to find.

I heard something about dedicated servers coming for this game, and I thought I'd ask...thanks.

Aerocrane

This might be a dumb question that most PC people don't wanna hear...but I gotta ask because I'm considering what platform to get this on.

Does the PC version of this have any type of dedicated servers/matchmaking like the console versions do? I have some previous entries of CoD on PC, and I know a lot of you PC players prefer it this way, but I hate server browsers, especially for games like this where the server host sets all these damn kind of rules, or only sticks with one friggin map the whole time. It makes playing with people using the basic rules hard as hell to find.

I heard something about dedicated servers coming for this game, and I thought I'd ask...thanks.

It is matchmaking just like in the console versions, pick a playlist and you will be matched with other players.

Yuripaw

Banned
It is matchmaking just like in the console versions, pick a playlist and you will be matched with other players.

Are you sure it's the same? Black Ops 1 on PC has a menu option that looks like matchmaking where you can choose to join rank or unranked game types, and it throws you in a match, but what it doesn't tell you is all it's doing is throwing you into a random server pulled straight from the same server list...so you can still be thrown into a match that has restrictions and not know it.

Aerocrane

Are you sure it's the same? Black Ops 1 on PC has a menu option that looks like matchmaking where you can choose to join rank or unranked game types, and it throws you in a match, but what it doesn't tell you is all it's doing is throwing you into a random server pulled straight from the same server list...so you can still be thrown into a match that has restrictions and not know it.

I have played the game for a bit, there are options for playing the game online through matchmaking and hosting a private lobby for playing with your friends. There are no custom dedicated servers, there were none in the PC version of Black Ops II either.

Yuripaw

Banned
I have played the game for a bit, there are options for playing the game online through matchmaking and hosting a private lobby for playing with your friends. There are no custom dedicated servers, there were none in the PC version of Black Ops II either.

Thank you for putting up with my ignorance and answering my questions ^_^ I really appreciate it. I was actually wondering about Black Ops 2 as well, and you answered that for me, so you have my thanks.

Aerocrane

Thank you for putting up with my ignorance and answering my questions ^_^ I really appreciate it. I was actually wondering about Black Ops 2 as well, and you answered that for me, so you have my thanks.

No problem, Call of Duty has been going back and forth when it comes to dedicated servers in the PC versions of the games. I only played the single player of Black Ops 1 on the PS3 and was under the impression that the dedicated servers were for unranked matches, with ranked matches played through p2p matchmaking. I guess that might have been the case with Modern Warfare 3 which I haven't played.

AllenShrz

It's doing two rendering passes... makes sense there's a drop in frames.

It's rendering your scope, and then it's rendering the background.

What? I dont even...

Have you seen Red Orchestra or Metro Last Light? Much more advanced and without the drastic fps drops

Tankshell

Have played up to chapter 8 so far. Has been running very smooth, tiny bit of audio stutter occasionally but almost not noticeable.

Have manually set the image quality to Extra (ie. native resolution, no upscaling shite), @ 1080p. FXAA. All other setings on High or Extra. Maintaining a framerate of about 50-80.

Enjoying the campaign so far.

PC specs for comparison:

2500k @ 4.5Ghz
8Gb Corsair Vengence
1.5Gb EVGA GTX580 SC
Win 7 Pro
Latest Nvidia drivers
Disabled steam overlay

You know you have shitty programmers when they can't get a heavily modified id Tech 3 to run fine on computers 14 years later. Pretty fucking embarrassing. At least Crysis had a reason (even though it's still unoptimized), in that it was fucking state of the art then and still looks great even now.

CHC

Performance is horrible for the quality

i5-2500k
8GB Ram
GTX 780

Runs fine at 1920x1200 at a solid 60 FPS, maxed out. Sinks to 40ish FPS when downsampled from 1440 or 1600p. Ran many better looking games at higher resolutions with no issues. Did not expect a tech marvel in any case though....

Aquanox

I don't recall ever seeing a game with such unpredictable performance results. It's like a Russian Roulette, where a few lucky ones get to play the game decently, regardless of their setup.

Have played up to chapter 8 so far. Has been running very smooth, tiny bit of audio stutter occasionally but almost not noticeable.

Have manually set the image quality to Extra (ie. native resolution, no upscaling shite), @ 1080p. All other setings on High or Extra. Maintaining a framerate of about 50-80.

Enjoying the campaign so far.

PC specs for comparison:

2500k @ 4.5Ghz
8Gb Corsair Vengence
1.5Gb EVGA GTX580 SC
Win 7 Pro
Latest Nvidia drivers
Disabled steam overlay

This .... is running like utter horse shit for me.

Win 8.1
8GB Ram
GTX 760 - Latest drivers.

I have all settings to max (1080p, Everything Extra that can be, 4xMSAA, HBAO+), and I kid you not, I am struggling to even get an average 30 FPS. Every mission so far it has been wobbling between 20 FPS to 40 FPS.

Is there a specific setting that is crippling my frame rate ?

Edit - Looks like AA was a culprit, turning it off or choosing FXAA made a significant impact. But ouch, I cant play a jaggy cod !

Aquanox

Framerates are much better with newest Catalyst Drivers. However, the game still stutters like a bitch when it streams data from the HDD. AMD can't do nothing about it, IW needs to put their shit together first.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
i5 3570k @ 4.3GHz
GTX 680
8GB DDR3
Installed on SSD
Windows 7 64
Lastest drivers

Never drops under under 70fps, usually around 80 - 91fps. I have turned off DoF, motion blur, distortion and tessellation, the rest is on extra. Honestly, with my machine and those options disabled I would expect to be capped at 91fps all the time, maybe with future updates.

zeelman

Some of the tweaks on this site helped with my stuttering and mouse issues. Unfortunately I can't tell you my framerate because MSI Afterburner doesn't seem to work with this game.

Top Bottom