• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts PC performance thread

kitanii

Banned
Just moved the installtion from a mechanical 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s interface HDD to an Intel 330 SSD. Made no difference at all. Still stutters like hell. Framerate is great, but the stutters....

i5 2500k @ 4.3GHz
8GB DDR3
GTX 660 Ti
Windows 8

Wonder if it doesn't like overclocking.
Tried turning down the texture setting to high which maybe made it a bit better, but still.
Really bad.

Frostburn

i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz
8GB Vengence DDR
GTX 770 SC
Installed on Samsung 830 Pro SSD

Stuttery mess for me when looking around no matter the settings (Though it does get better if I change image quality to something other than Extra)

Aquanox

I'm fine with the game's visuals. It can look gorgeous at times. If I can play smoothly I'll definitely give it a good try.

Yeah, the visuals look quite nice, not a mind blowing jump from previous games, but some obvious improvements. But it runs like shit :(

I tried some MP, this runs significantly better, even with AA on, but stutters like crazy :|

I really hope they do something to make this game run properly, because it actually does look nice graphically.

That mouse aim too needs a boot in the arse, the one thing that shouldn't be able to fuck up and they did :(

antitrop

If they can at least just get SLI working, I would be somewhat happy. Turning off one GPU on my GTX 590 leaves me with an underclocked 580... and garbage performance.

legacyzero

Banned
So apparently an update is out for PC, but I havn't gotten it yet. Also, for some reason, downsampling kills textures for me. Them moment I put the game on 1080p, the textures are fine. But when I put it up to 1440, the sets the textures to low, even though the settings are saying Extra.

Also, Steam forum posters are complaining that FOV fix is broken with the multiplayer update.

Sethos

Banned
Sli Should come from Nvidia Driver soon

I think it has to come from the developer. Nvidia are really good at getting SLI profiles out for big games pre-release but when they don't, it's usually in the developers hand. Recently I remember Rome 2 had that problem.

maneil99

I think it has to come from the developer. Nvidia are really good at getting SLI profiles out for big games pre-release but when they don't, it's usually in the developers hand. Recently I remember Rome 2 had that problem.

99% of the time its the GPU maker that must create a Sli or Crossfire Profile. Look at previous driver updates, they all include sli profiles ect.

XAL

Via TotalBiscuit

a537o.gif

Anyone else?

Relax bro, that's a feature - it's like bullet time.

x3sphere

i7 920 @ 3.5 Ghz, 780 SLI, 16GB RAM, 256GB 840 Pro SSD

Other than the fact that SLI doesn't seem to be working properly, it's very smooth maxed with SMAA at 2560x1600. Stays pegged at 60 99% of the time, minor dips to 50-ish with a lot of grenade explosions. Sometimes it pauses for like half a sec when they go off too.

So apparently an update is out for PC, but I havn't gotten it yet. Also, for some reason, downsampling kills textures for me. Them moment I put the game on 1080p, the textures are fine. But when I put it up to 1440, the sets the textures to low, even though the settings are saying Extra.
How do you actually get the game to run at those resolutions. It doesn't seem like the game recognizes anything above dual link.

Domstercool

How is this so damn bad? I can't get above 40 on max settings in multi... Battlefield 4 runs beautifully over 60 all the time. ¬_¬

It's a laggy mess, sometimes the frames drop down to 20 and then go back up... I can't even play it. Last night was even worse, it would crash when changing graphic or resolution settings...

I have;

i7 2600k @4.3
XFX 6990
16GB DDR3

It's ridiculous

Sethos

Banned
99% of the time its the GPU maker that must create a Sli or Crossfire Profile. Look at previous driver updates, they all include sli profiles ect.

Yes, the profiles themselves but as Andy, a guy from Nvidia that browse there forums has told us quite a few times; the games also have to be compatible with SLI. No compatibility? No SLI profile. I remember this being an issue with Rome 2 and CoH 2 recently. So when a high-profile game like Call of Duty isn't utilizing SLI I'm 99,9% sure it's because the engine simply doesn't support it -- Not that the CoD engine is very advanced.

Nvidia are really, really good at having profiles out there for games if they are compatible

Well Ghosts does have a multi-gpu setting in the config file like previous CoD games and it does correctly auto detect SLI configs.

wiggleb0t

Banned
331.70 should iron out the sli issues hopefully. It's in the hands of peeps who reviewed it for PC running Nvidia sooo only a matter of time..

My GPU is set for higher resolutions so the game will recognize them. Nothing creates a better image than downsampling.

It's not about the GPU its about the game. Connecting a 4K monitor won't get the game to show 4k resolutions, maximum it went upto was 2560x1440 or something like that.

Fistwell

Did something happen? It's performing even worse online right now. Starting to stutter anytime anyone fires a gun in a 10m radius around me. Went from nearly unplayable to stupid broken.

Sethos

Banned
Run the game in borderless window mode or window mode, then it'll stretch to the resolution you set on the desktop. That's how I've been doing my 5120x2880 shots.

Aquanox

Yeah, game still stutters like a bitch after the patch.

Cleverly enough, Acitivsion didn't release any patch notes... Jeez!

legacyzero

Banned
Yeah, game still stutters like a bitch after the patch.

Cleverly enough, Acitivsion didn't release any patch notes... Jeez!

Setting the priority in the task manager from high to normal killed the stuttering for me.

You have to do it every time you run the game though, as it always switches back to high.

So did that patch really stop people from being able to use the FOV tool?

That's what they're saying :(

Either it means IW doesn't want you to use it because FUCK YOU, or they'll be patching one in themselves.

Hurley

So did that patch really stop people from being able to use the FOV tool?

-edit- I just tried fovely, it still works lol

legacyzero

Banned
Patch Notes:

- Break FoV tool

I have this thought that they did that for balance reasons. "If some other dumbass that doesn't have the know-how to use that tool, than neither should you DERP."

If that's the reason for it, it's a piss fucking poor excuse for not including a slider.

Hurley

There are people on the COD forum who are asking activision support what the patch did and they are replying with there was no official update for the game yet lol

Patch seems to have done nothing, still runs like shit and controls like shit.

I really hope the performance isn't meant to run like this. The GeForce experience thing indicates I should be running everything maxed out (then again, that recommends I run BF4 maxed out also, which gets me 30 fps :/).

And to add, I just played the jungle mission on SP, good LORD it looks good.

Aquanox

Setting the priority in the task manager from high to normal killed the stuttering for me.

You have to do it every time you run the game though, as it always switches back to high.

Thanks, but didn't work for me.

How much RAM do you have?

Hurley

I just noticed something really odd.

I was watching someone play on youtube and they had the 360 version and you know how in the create a soldier menu it shows your soldier and when you change their guns or mod them they throw it away and grab the new one? On PC, well mine anyway, he does it in like slow motion where as on the console version it's faster.

The fuck is up with that?

So I returned to this game to see if any updates had fixed it. I actually hadn't tried the campaign yet, and not only does it still run at dick frames per second with constant stuttering, but...

That's with the highest settings selected. The game just doesn't work. I'm regretting not getting a physical copy of this game so I could at least have the satisfaction of dumping it into a trash can.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So I returned to this game to see if any updates had fixed it. I actually hadn't tried the campaign yet, and not only does it still run at dick frames per second with constant stuttering, but...

That's with the highest settings selected. The game just doesn't work. I'm regretting not getting a physical copy of this game so I could at least have the satisfaction of dumping it into a trash can.

You could always ask Valve to remove it from your account!

SRTtoZ

I was having issue with sound cutting out during cutscenes, so I started turning off settings 1 by 1 and nothing fixed it, then I finally turned off adaptive vsync (nvidia) and it fixed it. So if anyone has this issue, just turn off adaptive vsync.

Pjsprojects

Runs very smooth for me with everything maxed at 1080.

Q6600
4gb ram
GTX 580 3gb
Win 7 64 bit
Running the ram hack

Has crashed once on multiplayer & I can tell others in multi are struggling as the matches are poor, hence now purchased on console.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I was trying to play the game through on PC to review it, but eventually, I had to give up. I thought it was a result of my PC being just slightly above minimum recommended requirements, but even borrowing more RAM and a better video card didn't help. I had to suffer through crazy stuttering everywhere (even in cutscenes or QTEs), no matter if I was playing the game with high details in normal resolution or the lowest details possible+640x480.

8 seconds of gameplay, 6 seconds of freeze. Repeat. At this moment, the game is basically unplayable for me. (And for various reasons, I spent a lot of time trying to make it work at all). Horrible port.

What type of RAM do you use? Cheap, entry-level "Value RAM" or better stuff?

I ask because you've described exactly the same situation I had all the way back in December 2005 when I was playing F.E.A.R. for the first time. No matter what resolution or image quality used, it would freeze whenever a scripted event occurred (scare moment, car passing by, helicopter drops soldiers off, etc...) I was using ValueRAM at that time, upgraded to a better type of RAM and the problem instantly went away.

Fistwell

See, those textures look better at a lower resolution, have you tried rendering it in 720p? Yeah... you gonna want to sit back a cple of meters to fully appreciate this one.

MaLDo

Ghosts has some kind of VRAM autodetection and changes settings using that. If you rise your real resolution, game reduces texture resolution. And Image quality setting affects real resolution the game is rendered.

For example, I think if you select Image quality High instead of Extra, your textures will be ok. Obviously, IQ will be worse.

That game is something something.

You can scroll down and raise the texture resolution you know.

MaLDo

Ghosts has some kind of VRAM autodetection and changes settings using that. If you rise your real resolution, game reduces texture resolution. And Image quality setting affects real resolution the game is rendered.

For example, I think if you select Image quality High instead of Extra, your textures will be ok. Obviously, IQ will be worse.

That game is something something.

This behaviour has appeared after Patch 1. I think devs are trying to eliminate stuttering produced by vram trashing when people uses too high options. In my opinion that engine is too old to handle those textures along with the bumps and displacement maps. Furthermore, Ghosts textures have been designed for use at 1Kx1K, so 2Kx2K versions or higher versions require a disproportionate amount of memory for adding very small quality improvement.

legacyzero

Banned

This is EXACTLY what is happening to me!

Are you downsampling?? Because that's why. The moment I turned it back to 1080, it fixed the textures.

EDIT: MaLDo has it.

Top Bottom