• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts PC performance thread

antitrop

Yeah, and Black Ops 2 still has this problem and you can see somewhat of a stutter.

It might just be a normal thing at this point.'

EDIT: already discussed above.
I definitely got the ADS stutter in BLOPS2, but it wasn't 35 frames, that's for sure. More like 10-15 max.

I was able to max out BLOPS 2 with 4x MSAA and still pretty much hit 60fps, except for some occasional ADS stutter. Ghosts runs like complete dogshit, with a framerate going as low as 20... with no AA.

And the game doesn't really look any better than BLOPS2. Worse, occasionally. Awful textures all over the place.

dmr87

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBX7PgcFg4

Sorry folks, I screwed up somewhat with the Ghosts video. I accidently allowed one of the settings to go below max and a pretty critical one too, so I've filmed some more footage using absolute maximum settings and included a little comparison footage. You can also compare this extended footage to the original WTF is? and judge for yourself whether or not I was being far to the texture quality. I also misinterpreted the "Pick 10" system which is still in the game but not as obvious.

Kinda strange seeing all of these posts reporting their issues with COD Ghosts cuz it runs fine on my decent PC (40-50 FPS, high/extra settings).

Specs:

Phenom II x4 955 (3.2 ghz)
Geforce GTX 650 Ti Boost (2GB of VRAM)
4 GB of RAM (using the RAM fix ofc)
Win 7

Only played at the beginning of the game tho (stopped at the middle of the level with the dog, after the space level) - maybe it becomes an issue in the later levels.

Chakan

Phenom II X6 3.2Ghz
8GB Ram
GTX 770 2GB
Win 7 Ultimate

Running like butter at 1080P with everything maxed out.

Beepos

GTX 670 OC
i7 4770k @ 3.9
8GB DDR3 1833
Windows 8
1080p

Game looks better in multiplayer imo than BF4 beta. Of course that was limited to the one map Shanghai, but perhaps I like the art style more of COD.

Game runs perfect as of far- had one crash and a few server disconnects but get mostly 80-90 fps and none of this mouse stuttering people have mentioned unless I'm just not noticing it?

Really enjoying it and my last COD was Black Ops 1.

SRTtoZ

Kinda strange seeing all of these posts reporting their issues with COD Ghosts cuz it runs fine on my decent PC (40-50 FPS, high/extra settings).

Specs:

Phenom II x4 955 (3.2 ghz)
Geforce GTX 650 Ti Boost (2GB of VRAM)
4 GB of RAM (using the RAM fix ofc)
Win 7

Only played at the beginning of the game tho (stopped at the middle of the level with the dog, after the space level) - maybe it becomes an issue in the later levels.

Same here. I just got done installing about 20 mins ago and it runs fine with my setup:

i7 3820
680gtx 4gb
16gb ram

I was expecting a horror show but it runs as good as BF4 so far, and I'm running it @ 1080p, max settings, 2x msaa. I'd goes between 45-60 fps, depending on whats happening.

I'm pretty furious about this. My computer absolutely destroys the recommended settings and it's just completely unplayable. I doubt we'll ever get a patch for this. It's felt like PC has been an afterthought for this series for a while now, but this just reeks of completely not giving a fuck.

No matter the settings, I just can't play. The framerate is trash and the game hitches every single time someone fires a gun or uses a grenade. Utter garbage.

Duxxy3

Runs like shit on my machine that ran crysis 3 just fine.

edit: also - the textures are aaaasssss

ZeroX03

Banned
i7-3930k, 16GB RAM, 2 x MSI Lightning GTX680's in Sli, BenQ XL2410T

Game runs like absolute garbage, completely unplayable. Waiting for a fix until I play this game, WTF IW?

On the other hand, BF4 runs like butter, always at a rock solid 120FPS with everything MAXED out with a few slight dips every once in a while.

Dennis

Banned
I get flickering gun textures plus a few other textures that flicker.

Anyone else have the same problem?

bro1

Banned
Same here. I just got done installing about 20 mins ago and it runs fine with my setup:

i7 3820
680gtx 4gb
16gb ram

I was expecting a horror show but it runs as good as BF4 so far, and I'm running it @ 1080p, max settings, 2x msaa. I'd goes between 45-60 fps, depending on whats happening.
You would think it would run even better given your rig.

Manac0r

2560 x 1600
i7 980x
780 oc'd
12gb Ram
(60fps)

Performance is fine, but cant use any AA at this res because optimization is horrible on Nvidia. Only using 20-30 percent of GPU.
I believe extra image quality seems to downsample.

Via TotalBiscuit

a537o.gif

Anyone else?

Get your shit together Infinity Ward...

I've been playing the game for half an hour and I'm getting SERIOUS fps drops/stuttering. It's unplayable. I haven't even enabled effects such as tesselation or shadows. I've disabled Steam Overlay and set the priority settings to Normal. Still unplayable and looks like shit. Also, OS warnings about memory shortage/leaks.

Resolution: 1920x1080
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7850
RAM: 8 GB
Storage: SSD Samsung 540 Pro - 256 GB

I'm pretty furious about this. My computer absolutely destroys the recommended settings and it's just completely unplayable. I doubt we'll ever get a patch for this. It's felt like PC has been an afterthought for this series for a while now, but this just reeks of completely not giving a fuck.

No matter the settings, I just can't play. The framerate is trash and the game hitches every single time someone fires a gun or uses a grenade. Utter garbage.

This. Why didn't I listen? Why did I buy the game?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This is bullshit, bloated system requirements
No idea why theyre doing this.
Well, with how poorly optimized it seems to be, running it on slower hardware would produce particularly bad results I'm sure.

Also, the ram requirement is probably taking into account memory in use by Windows. As in, with 4gb, it's not unreasonable to have ~2gb of stuff loaded into memory outside of the game? I dunno, but I suspect that was their line of thinking.

Either way, it's pretty awful. I still can't believe how large the game is in terms of file size.

jester_

This game looked and played like dog shit when I tried to play earlier on near-default settings (tried 2x TXAA instead of SMAA and textures set to high). I'll try forcing aspect ratio and ultra settings later to see if its any better, but that first attempt felt like I was playing a 720p upscaled PS3 game (was playing at 1440p).

2560x1440 Viewsonic VP2770
i7 3770k
GTX 670 Classified (OC'd)
32GB DDR3-2400

I can't believe "image quality" is even a setting, and that "extra" is actually "the actual fucking resolution you wanted in the first place"

Lettuce

This thread should be interesting. Someone with less than recommended specs (ie most people) should make a post.

I might give this a go on the PC down stairs, it's a 2.8ghz Amd, 4gb ram and a 5 series Amd card.. So be interesting to see what happens. I'll post correct spec when I try it out as I can't really remember what's in the damn thing

GTX 770 2gb
i5-4670
8Gb of raaam
1080p.

Game is running pretty great for me, but I'm in this for the singleplayer, so I really have no input about how the multi is yet. Running all max settings bar the AA which I have set at TXAA x 2 or TXAA low, whatever they've called it for this game. 60fps outside of big explosion/horror moments where the frames do plunge to about 50fps, but they jump back up quick enough.

I actually think the game looks quite nice compared to some of the shots I saw leading up to release. There definitely are a few laughable textures every now and again that makes me think "Sure you might be supporting 4K, but why would you want to look at that detail-less texture in crystal clear 4k?", but on the whole it looks nice enough. I'm getting some stutter on the level loading/cutscenes once the loading bar is good, which is pretty annoying, but everything in game is good. I did encounter a brief bug when sliding was tutorialised where my controller was turning off if I slid too long, but it went away after that so I have no idea if that was something on my end or the game's end.

I will say, kind of put out the physx Nvidia bigged up is not here at launch. I doubt I'll be playing again to see them so would have been nice.

RulkezX

i7 3820
680gtx 4gb
16gb ram

Does it *look* like BF4 ?

Your PC is getting that FPS while the game looks like ass.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Via TotalBiscuit

a537o.gif

Anyone else?

The DOF must be expensive. Exact same shit happens in Battlefield 4 whenever the expensive bokeh is present in cutscenes. Will chew up ~30%+ of your framerate.

The DOF must be expensive. Exact same shit happens in Battlefield 4 whenever the expensive bokeh is present in cutscenes. Will chew up ~30%+ of your framerate.

I was thinking the same. They've slapped on a more expensive DoF effect without conisdering the gameplay implications. So dumb.

Daffy Duck

Who gives a shit about that? Look at the frame rate counter in the upper right corner.

From what I understand from a video Drift0r made he said this basically makes the game render the view twice. I would guess that is the reason for the drastic FPS drop.

dr_rus

Ok, I'll chime in.

i7 3820K
32 GB RAM
GTX770 4 GB
Win7x64

Runs completely normal, I'm getting ~50-80 fps in 1920x1200 with MSAA 8x and all in-game settings at max. No problems whatsoever. It may not be as smooth as I'd expect from such fps but it's nowhere near close to being unplayable or stuttery.

Twinduct

No idea if this is relevant. Essentially when checking the game via cheatengine, there seems to be a lot of 'filler' data thrown into the memory for no reason.

Youtube Link

Helloween

I was stuttering like a madman yesterday. Turned off steam overlay and set prio as normal which helped a bit.

Running on Windows 7 64, 8GB RAM, 570GTX

oh as for FPS, between 50-60, the hitches dont seem to cont as a frame drop. @1920x1080

BY2K

Membero Americo
Windows 7
i7 4770k
16GB RAM
1920x1200

Getting 60-80 FPS at all times everything at Max/Ultra.

Goddamn killcam looks like shit in 1920x1200, btw.

Is there a time frame on the Nvidia patch for Physx features(fur and turbulence)? Weird that the game has launched with so many stuttering an overlay issues. In any case, going to wait for a patch but I was pleasantly surprised by how it looked. No BF4 but a step up from past entries visually for sure.

Okay I figured I might post aswell, my system is:

i5 3570k @ 3.8ghz
AMD 7970 OC'ed to 1100mhz 3GB VRAM
8GB RAM
Windows 7

I'm really a bit shocked at how bad the game runs o.o I get 60fps on Ultra in BF4 with no AA but 125% resolution setting. Yet in Ghosts I have to disable Ambient Occlusion and AA to even get it running anywhere smoothly and even then it stutters every now and then. What did help was turning Sync Every Frame aka V-Sync on which made the game smooth for me even though I still have to disable AO and AA to get anywhere :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
dat low player count
3SN9nxB.png

The peak of 35k is actually a little better than what Blops 2 managed:

Edit edit: Christ, it's a pain in the arse to change the dates on that site. Here are the peak figures for each BO2 app as reported within the window of November 12th to November 13th:

- Black Ops 2 MP: 31,098
- Black Ops 2 Zombies: 3,872
- Black Ops 2 SP: 12,983
= 47,953

Ghosts MP's 35k is fine.

Gaz_RB

M14x laptop, i5-2430M, Nvidia 555M, 6 gb RAM.

Runs like shit and looks like shit compared to Battlefield 4. 60 fps normally with no AA, but drops down a lot when looking around and loading new areas. So strange. Makes me appreciate Dice's optimization skills.

Top Bottom