• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts PC performance thread

BY2K

Membero Americo
What the hell happened!? The game is stuttering like MAD for some reason. I didn't do that when I first tried it!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Since the patch I've been getting one second freezes randomly, it never happened before.

MaLDo

Singleplayer screenshots at 1440p, 1600p and 1900p Extra quality (HBAO) + SMAA + SweetFX + DXTory@60 to avoid judder + Custom SLI bits

Performance falls to 57-58 fps using scopes. I'll look for a fix later.

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+17-39-12-443.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+16-31-07-28.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+16-30-14-51.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+16-28-19-05.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+16-27-09-69.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+16-29-04-90.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+16-28-25-17.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+17-48-21-797.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+17-47-13-437.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+17-44-16-064.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+17-41-40-977.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+17-42-48-959.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+15-47-12-04.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+15-44-56-78.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+17-50-00-812.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+17-47-37-615.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+17-47-01-919.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+17-46-22-790.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+17-39-49-207.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+17-39-40-479.png

iw6sp64_ship+2013-11-10+16-33-12-53.png

Frostburn

Same problem here. You find a fix?

I too have this issue:

i5-2500k @ 4.2GHz
GTX 770 SC
8GB DDR3
Soundblaster Titanium HD PCIe
Game is running on a Samsung 830 SSD
Windows 7

The game runs HORRIBLY for me but the audio cuts out as well, I was thinking it might be soundcard related but maybe not. The performance in general is pretty terrible, when looking left and right while running in multiplayer I get a lot of stuttering, frame drops are common along with general skipping/freezing. Single player seems to fair better but it still doesn't run anywhere close to BlackOps II level of performance.

Has anyone hear ANYTHING from the developers at least acknowledging issues and possible solutions being worked on?

Darkone

Started the game but the texture quality of the environment sucks ass.
trees and rocks look blurry, i don`t get a really sharp realism texture.
installed latest nvidia drivers (have GTX670), my rig can defiantly run at max setting.

Hip Hop

So no word from Nvidia/AMD/IW

for patches or driver updates on fixing this game?

It's unplayable with a mouse, only way to play is with a controller on my end.

Can't believe no articles have come out about this.

Fantasmo

My computer is running it just fine, but what I want to know is why everywhere I walk the game is streaming data as if I was playing on a console. I have 16GB of RAM and 2GB of video memory and an SSD. I can't imagine anything on here requires hard drive streaming.

This is probably one of the reasons why some PCs stutter.

ESPECIALLY if you have a low amount of RAM, are running high quality textures, and have fragmented HDD.

antitrop

So no word from Nvidia/AMD/IW
for patches or driver updates on fixing this game?
It's unplayable with a mouse, only way to play is with a controller on my end.
Can't believe no articles have come out about this.

Nobody gives a shit, except the people who paid $60 for this broken product.

Fantasmo

Hey guys, PC version seems to stream map data as you move around the map, like the 360/PS3 versions of MW1, MW2, MW3, BO1, and BO2. I have a ridiculous amount of RAM and it still does it. PC version is probably the same codebase as consoles.

If you have a HDD try defragging or reducing the texture detail and see if that helps.

Hip Hop

Nobody gives a shit, except the people who paid $60 for this broken product.

eh, at least I only dropped $30 on it.

But seriously, I would have never thought this was gonna happen with the game.

All previous versions ran perfectly.

I hope this is something that is fixable.

Aquanox

Ok so, from the beginning I suspected all this was RAM Related (in my case at least) It's a 64bit game with a minimum required of 6GB and it stuttered like hell while it was streaming stuff from the HDD.

So I decided to buy additional 8GB of DD3 2400Mhz RAM (for a total of 16GB) and guess what...

The game now runs smoothly, I've only noticed one very brief moment of HDD streaming stuttering in the Intro Chapter. And how much better does it like when it runs they way it's meant to. I'm guessing moving it to the SSD will completely eliminate Stuttering.

Checking it out, I've figured I'm using above 10GB - 11GB with Chrome + Neogaf opened - when running COD Ghosts (and I've closed a lot of resident programs before doing so) So the belief that the 6GB requierement is absurd because the game only gets to use 2GB is... errr... Absurd.

IW must absolutely know what the problem is, but they don't really want to drop a bomb saying their game demands that much memory to run properly.

mql7.jpg

Specs:
Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bits.
Powercolor 7990 @ 1125 / 1575 Mhz
Core i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
AMD Catalyst 13.11 Beta V9.2 <-- You absolutely need this for a 7990.

Cheers!

MEATER

Just an update: I still can't play this. The textures are still fucked. The game does not run. Drivers and updates have not fixed anything. I'm not downsampling.

Yay!

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. The performance is actually ok but I refuse to play the game with textures like this or that

I've been googling for an hour for solutions but nothing helped.

Some suggestions where turning off AA or changing the AA settings, setting aspect ratio from auto to whatever your monitor uses and setting textures manually to extra. Maybe any of those will work for you.

antitrop

Someone on the Steam forums recommended opening config_mp.cfg and changing "MaxPing" from the default 800 to something lower. No idea if it will do anything or not, but at this point, I will try literally anything.

I'm absolutely fucking disgusted.

Aquanox

Guys, if your issues are RAM related like mine, only upgrading will resolve them unless a very deep patch gets released.

MEATER

Guys, if your issues are RAM related like mine, only upgrading will resolve them unless a very deep patch gets released.

So before your upgrade - did it use less RAM?

Because I checked RAM in the task manager and it says that 4,2GB are used and 3,7GB are available of my total 8GB.

Shouldn't all of the RAM be used up if the issue was related to that?

The games MP population is dying fast :(

The most frustrating thing about all this performance stuff is that nobody is saying anything. IW, Activision, Nvidia, AMD, nobody has said a damn thing. It will be sad if it just gets left in this state.

Cru

The most frustrating thing about all this performance stuff is that nobody is saying anything. IW, Activision, Nvidia, AMD, nobody has said a damn thing. It will be sad if it just gets left in this state.

Yeah, seeing less than 100 people in the Kill confirmed playlist is disappointing.

Nokterian

In the mean time Dota 2 surpassed 702,000 players.

MEATER

I just gave the MP a shot. The visuals seem to be ok but the performance isn't. It stutters permanently.

I really can't believe the state the PC version is in. And I can't believe the issues are not or adressed or at least acknowledged by IW.

I tried to contact their support because the game is pretty much unplayable like this imo but the support page is a mess.

Caffeine

its a shame no real fixes are out I have tried every fix even different hdd/ssd's the game runs fine for about the first 2 mins online then after it starts stuttering hardcore.

I had to turn off crossfire this game doesnt like it.

amd 8350 4.0GHz
msi 7990
16GBs of ram.

every other game i play is fine even bf4 on ultra.

when i look in task manager the game never exceedes 2GBs usage.

Helloween

I asked for a refud for this POS from steam. They told me to restart my PC to see if it helped, after 5 days of no email. Ugh. Hate steam so goddamn much.

I know they are gunna leave this broken, so tedious

Frostburn

I asked for a refud for this POS from steam. They told me to restart my PC to see if it helped, after 5 days of no email. Ugh. Hate steam so goddamn much.

I know they are gunna leave this broken, so tedious

You realize the game isn't made by Steam or Valve right? It's not in their policy to process refunds, it's always been this way.

COD Ghosts does suck on PC though, wish Activision would take refunds or at least fix the game. As I and others have said further up this page though, there is no communication and it's looking real grim.

Nabs

It would be nice if a site/journalist would write something up about this. Maybe get us some answers.

MEATER

It would be nice if a site/journalist would write something up about this. Maybe get us some answers.

Would be nice indeed!

COD Ghosts does suck on PC though, wish Activision would take refunds or at least fix the game. As I and others have said further up this page though, there is no communication and it's looking real grim.

In moments like this I really appreciate what EA is doing with the 24 hour refund on Origin.

Fistwell

Yep. How about them dedicated servers? Because, no, listen servers are not an acceptable answer. And no, "dedicated servers cost money" is not acceptable either.

I decided to try Ghosts on my Windows 7 partition (i use Win 8.1), and its a pretty big difference.

Using max settings, 4xMSAA, 1080p, the frame rate was considerably better, mouse aim was now working as it should and no texture streaming issues, it actually seemed quite good, but a new issue, visual and audio stuttering was present.

I was actually able to play a game of MP for once and play quite well, with max settings.

I took a couple of shots, sorry for compressed steam shots, i didnt have uncompressed ticked -

2013-11-16_00001wyu0a.jpg

2013-11-16_00002cuuvz.jpg

antitrop

i7-2600k OC'd @ 4.4GHz
GTX 590 (one GPU disabled due to flickering, ugh)
16GB RAM

Game runs like fucking dogshit on the absolute lowest settings, 'tis a joke. Even if I turn on SLI and try to ignore the flickering (impossible), the game still runs awful.

StevieP

Banned
Finally got around to this today, after a nice bf4 session. Wow what a pile of shit. Black ops 2 looks and runs much better. I won't bother loading this up again until a patch fixes this crap. Win 7 at 1080p and dual 7850s here (which maxed out bf4, a much better looking game, just fine). Turned everything off or low and still a framerate dog

Aquanox

So before your upgrade - did it use less RAM?

Because I checked RAM in the task manager and it says that 4,2GB are used and 3,7GB are available of my total 8GB.

Shouldn't all of the RAM be used up if the issue was related to that?

Yes it did. Not only the game but many other applications. It seems this game feels more comfortable with plenty of RAM.

For those with 16GB of RAM and having issues, I don't know what could it be (if your HDD LED isn't working hard every time you experience this stutter, then it's something else) but expanding to 16GB DID solve the issue for me.

Also, remember AMD released Catalyst drivers for COD. nVidia users might experience different difficulties.

Frostburn

Nvidia released drivers for COD a while ago but I never tried with the non-COD drivers. Either way 16GB RAM for this game is insane, not saying it won't fix the problems for some but that is NOT a real solution. Maybe one day they'll release a patch, by then I'm sure the MP population will be around 5k with 3k of them playing TDM... sigh.

Caffeine

Was gonna post about this too.

Just exited the multiplayer and the patch is currently downloading.

Hope it is something good.

still stutters and lags for me nothing is fixed... edit apparently 4GB ram was patched in the game loads with less than 6GBs i cant test it but in steam discussions someone said it was.
the fps is still capped to 91 as some rumors going around this patch uncaps it is not true. also CODeSports is now an available option in private match.

Top Bottom