• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts uses "significantly upgraded" version of past game engine

Meia

We..already..knew. They will probably use that engine another year or two until PS4/Xbone gets enough marketshare to ditch PS3/360 version l.

This.

I don't like them saying "New engine" to hype this when it really isn't, but I didn't expect a cross-gen game to be a significant leap up. I didn't expect any to, really. Same graphically with some new bells and whistles is what I expect until people stop making current gen games. It's only smart to do this. /shrug

It is a new engine. The original engine (The one used in Quake) is nothing like the changes done to it so it is a new engine. Frostbite 2 is just an updated Frostbite 1 and the Frostbite 3 is just an updated Frostbite 2. That is how engine development works. It is stupid to rewrite whole new code when you can just fix the problems or update the current one. Unless you really need to do so.

It annoys me a little bit that people keep calling the COD engine "Quake Engine".

Here is a good, but old read about rewriting code. http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html

Waaghals

Throwing out everything and starting anew is counterproductive. Large amounts of what they have probably works very well.

You can make great looking games with older engines, you just customize them to your needs. Star Wars 1313 ran on UE3 as did samaritarian.

That being said, I'm not impressed with COD Ghost showing.

Hey! at least the fishies move :)

goldfish-o.gif

This thread delivered the goods. I expect no less from GAF.

Hairless dogs, so next gen!

Was anyone else bothered that they didn't put a motion capture tag on the dog's ears?
What is the point of mocapping an animal if you don't capture the ears moving?

I honestly cant tell. Modern Warfare 1 looks the same as Modern Warfare 3 to me.

And this(the news) isn't surprising seeing that its going to be on 360/PS3 as well.

You aren't paying attention then. I've put hundreds of hours into these games. Black Ops 2 looks significantly better than Modern Warfare 1.

Pop

The next COD developed by Treyarch will truly be the next gen game. Which is best because we all know they make the better COD games.

morlock

I had hope that this cod would finally fix the bullshit perspective problems. But i suppose that they only up the graphics and keep the core game mechanics where your character is'nt "rooted" with game world and your hands and gun is just an overlay. Go prone and stuff like a tea cup is bigger than your gun or sit behind a cover and other people can just see the top of your head, but you can still shoot them. Through the cover from their perspective...

What about that Activision engine demonstrated with those ultra realistic human heads? Is it not ready for launch? Surely it is in their interest to use that engine at some point

skarabrae

Banned
Carmack is a genius. A game that costs dozens of millions of dollars to make still uses his 15 year old engine.

IIRC the Quake 3/Quake 3 Arena code is open source now right? I know that the original Call of Duty was built on Quake 3, but I know for a fact that all the shader and post-processing tech was all strapped onto it, which was added by IW/TA. Still, it's a pretty solid codebase... and if it gives us 60fps, then why the hell not?

Lunchbox

Banned
old ass modified iD tech will outsell every game this gen and next gen

take that newell and mark rein. Carmack is still boss

9A7qQpZ.jpg

I am not surprised by this news. The vast majority of CoD: Ghosts sales will be of the 360/PS3 platform version, not the Xbox One/PS4. Activision isn't going to invest in a new engine now. The Xbox One/PS4 version will simply be an upscaled port. It wouldn't shock me if the same is true for the 2014 CoD game.

DR3AM

dice and ea invested a lot of time and money into the new frostbite engine. now all their games are using it and its totally paying of for them. activision didn't and it clearly shows. i saw the interview with the IW guy and he said it would take over 200 people and 2 years to develop a new engines. well no shit.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
People don't buy these games because of their graphical prowess. They love the 60fps responsiveness, and they look good enough for a game running at that speed.

People are kidding themselves when they claim that the COD games didn't get more attractive over the past 5 years. They made significant improvements over the years. I expect the next gen game to look significantly better and still maintain 60fps.

They don't buy the game because it's 60fps. They buy the game because it's the shooting game everyone plays and the gameplay appeals to a wide audience.

However, people are fickle, so who knows how long that trend continues.

Nairume

Banned
So the only game to see actual game footage at the big Xbox One reveal was running on an engine that was made when Bill Clinton was still in office.

Fantastic.

Fantasmo

There's no point in starting from scratch unless you need every pipeline revamped. And since its a cross gen engine, they have to have current gen capability.

Even when the next gen engine comes around, they have no need to start from scratch with input and network code unless they're changing the entire game design

Lunchbox

Banned
They don't buy the game because it's 60fps.

yes they do. they dont call it 60 FPS because they dont know what that is, but its referred to it as the "COD feel". as in fast and responsive twitch shooting

thats why the likes of Battlefield and killzones of this world never reach cod level sales with their sluggish controls, no matter how much "better" they are and old popular ones like Halo are losing sales

Dyno

For some the game engine is a big issue but there are quite a few successful franchises that continually upgrade rather than get something new. These games are never the very best in show when it comes to graphics but that doesn't mean they don't gather a legion of dedicated followers. Valve is a good example, COD too considering it's the top seller.

"When we’re talking about a new engine we’re talking about upgrading significant systems within in that engine. We’re not talking about throwing it all away and saying we’re starting from the ground up"
Doesn't make any fucking sense but ok, it's a new engine everybody!

charsace

Every game has some Quake1/Unreal 1 source code in it. COD sells because the base feel of it(quake) is great and also needs a good frame rate.

Xater

Well apparently they did not do enough to that engine because at this point it doesn't look as good as the competition.

Top Bottom