• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts uses "significantly upgraded" version of past game engine

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I don't doubt it, man. Fish swimming away from you? A dog that can move its jaw? Truly next generation stuff right there.

Activision better be careful not to spend so much money on next generation engines for Call of Duty. Next thing you know, Infinity Ward could come up with something so innovative with all that horse power like door knobs actually twisting all the way!

Mik2121

While the COD games are definitely not the best looking games out there, I think it should be fair to wait until the titled announced next year. This game is probably going to sell more on PS3 and 360 than PS4 and Xbone, and they probably know it.

Most likely a lot of the assets were done with those two consoles in mind, so I'd like to think we will have to wait at least 1 or 2 years until we see something that looks definitely better.
Still not expecting Killzone levels of quality, but definitely better than what we've seen with Ghosts.

DesertFox

you can tell from the trailer that it's just the same old engine.
http://youtu.be/Zxnx3W-HA18#aid=P-Q6pxOOqOI

Yup - nothing in that trailer stood out as next-gen, except maybe the jungle, which others have pointed out is a farce with fake lighting effects.

Ghosts:
and-heres-how-theyll-look-in-call-of-duty-ghost-ghost.jpg

BF3 (PC 2011)
10829.jpg

Ghosts just looks.... soulless? Devoid of life? bleh

KingFire

Banned
Valve has been using the same engine since 2004.
My only issue with this CoD is that during the presentation, the game was presented to have a new engine which I thought it was, you know, a new engine.

velociraptor

Valve has been using the same engine since 2004.
My only issue with this CoD is that during the presentation, the game was presented to have a new engine which I thought it was, you know, a new engine.

They have indeed although it appears they have make greater strides with their own engine than Infinity Ward have with theirs.

Left 4 Dead 2 and Portal 2 look pretty good to me.

TUROK

Yup - nothing in that trailer stood out as next-gen, except maybe the jungle, which others have pointed out is a farce with fake lighting effects.
They stated they're volumetric, so they're not "fake." Or do you really think that there are games in which the sun is a massive light source that casts real volumetric lights over everything?

Why is it now that all of a sudden I hear so much about CoD being 60fps?

No one made so noise about the past games being 60fps. Why is Ghost the exception?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'll wait till i see more of ghosts to write it off - but if bf4 IS running at 60 fps on the new consoles, as was rumored, then this looks especially bad.

No new engine is built from the ground up these days... Unreal Engine 4 has elements from the first Unreal Engine in it. Everything is iterative. This is the nature of software development, it's inefficient to start from zero.

Why is now that all of a sudden I hear so much about CoD being 60fps?

No one made so noise about the past games being 60fps. Why is Ghost the exception?
The games always aspire for 60fps run-and-gun action - it's one of the series' draws. There's a reason why they used 60fps footage during the TV broadcast of the X1 conference, and any tech article about the games will focus on detail improvement while still hitting that mark.

---

As for "next gen" engines, it's just a name, really - No company completely throws away perfectly good code when going to a new gen, they'd probably just improve it in some ways, or use larger, more detailed assets. Code doesn't have an expiration date - if they can reuse things, they'll do so because redoing work unnecessarily is a waste of time and money.

sentry65

everyone always complains that games aren't 60fps

so when a developer takes a special interest to make 60fps games, everyone complains how bad it looks

Developers just can't win

"new" engines incorporate new heavier rendering features

not using those heavy render features means more power can be used for higher frame rates and more things on screen

Calvarok

Banned
I think a lot of people are missing the fact that CoD's fanbase mainly cares about the fact that it's still locked at 60 FPS.

It's kinda funny, people like to say that mainstream gamers just want the best graphics, but fans of the most popular shooter actually care more about performance.

VariantX

Something about the COD engine feels like even outdoor areas are in tight hallway corridors..

It's not really the engine, its the level design. You're almost never given the opportunity to do things at your pace, you're always being pushed along, and its pretty much a narrow hallway with all the kill zones, walls or no.

Ultryx

And here I was thinking they finally built a new next-gen engine from the ground up. What on earth was I thinking?

When COD4 launched, it looked pretty good compared to games of its time. A lot of it was smoke and mirrors, but it was an impressive game.

Every COD since then has looked like nothing more than a mission pack.

You don't necessarily need an entirely new engine (most engines are built on the back of at least some old code), but it needs a major overhaul to keep up with the competition. I think COD is going to fall hard this gen.

RaptorGTA

so when a developer takes a special interest to make 60fps games, everyone complains how bad it looks

"new" engines incorporate new heavier rendering features

not using those heavy render features means more power can be used for higher frame rates and more things on screen

I think the issue here is...This is suppose to be showing off the Nex Gen features. Why else would you buy a new console? (oh wait...TV, TV tv tv sports!) COD has been one of the few games that has boasted it being the only big FPS with a high frame rate. Now with these new console we should see BF3 graphics with high frame rate. What we see here is a developer claiming they didn't have time to rebuild an engine. Meanwhile we see games like Killzone and Battlefield keep advancing their engines and making noticeable improvements.

I do believe COD hasn't ran a smooth 60 FPS for a long time. I remember watching a breakdown of the wii u version of BO2 and showing only the xbox 360 had a near 60 FPS.

I could be completely wrong. But I thought realistically PS3 AND Wii U were getting 45 FPS.

VariantX

They probably just didn't have the money to build a brand new engine from the ground up.

lol, if there's one thing Activision has moreso than any other 3rd party developer, its money. The reason why the engine isn't upgraded because the fan base simply doesn't care. They're more than happy to play a slightly different version of the same game every year, with a new hook or two thrown in. All the fan base really asks for is 60 fps and good net code. If there's no push to do anything new from these guys, why would Activision even care if they're going to buy it anyway?

J-Rzez

If only CoD sold just a few couple million more copies they might have been able to afford a shiny new engine. Piracy, is obviously to blame here, and gamers with bad tastes to pass up on each new installment and DLC.

Or... CoD3 -> CoD4 type jump will happen next year.

It's not really the engine, its the level design. You're almost never given the opportunity to do things at your pace, you're always being pushed along, and its pretty much a narrow hallway with all the kill zones, walls or no.

They need them in order to maintain a consistent 60 FPS which should be commended.

Hopefully new tech can widen the battlefield a tad.

Came to post this. A lot of us claim that we'd prefer 60fps over fancy effects, especially for racing games and shooters, and COD is one series that constantly delivers this.

Madness

People don't buy these games because of their graphical prowess. They love the 60fps responsiveness, and they look good enough for a game running at that speed.

People are kidding themselves when they claim that the COD games didn't get more attractive over the past 5 years. They made significant improvements over the years. I expect the next gen game to look significantly better and still maintain 60fps.

'good enough'... That's the problem. They've gone from being one of the leaders in graphics tech and pushing the industry forward to 'good enough.

Other games have completely surpassed Call of Duty who maintains 60 fps is all that matters. You'll see soon as games like Destiny, Battlefield 4, Killzone, possibly Halo 5 show how far behind Call of Duty is.

I kind of think its the engine. Not sure how to explain but even things like the sky box feel like its right on top of you. COD lacks the open airiness of games like BF, Crysis, Fallout, FarCry. I prefer this felling to tight corridors that remind me of old FPS like original Doom, Castle Wolfwnstine.

Top Bottom