• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty, ladies and gentleman.

Webhead

Banned
My gosh, this thread.

730239dd1c5f367d9376be6289474bb34376c0f23bc6f11f522a30d410f2a13a.jpg

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I gotta be honest, this isnt really a big deal, even if it is silly I dont think its THAT silly

I don't see the issue with this.

Same here. Im really confused what the issue is.

Is it the QTE? The fact that you have to pay respects? Some unwritten miltary rule broken?

Is the issue because the PC prompt was left in the console version? Or is that not the case?

I don't get what's so funny. :eek:

whats wrong?

I'm just gonna be honest here: what exactly is the problem with this?

That fact that you have to press a button to pay respects instead of the game just automatically doing it for you?

I understand the silliness of the image but I think people are stretching it because it's cool to hate on something popular like Call of Duty.

I still don't see why this is a big deal.

Borderlands 2 had a side-mission to high five claptrap.

gallery_1_66_4307.jpg

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm just reminded of the ending of MW3.

I play on PC with a pretty nonstandard key setup (s z x c movements, a for jump, d for crouch, etc. dates back to Quake when I was a wee falkling)

The last QTE fisticuff dukeout with Makarov was essentially a barrage of

E or Right Mouse and Space or Left Mouse

I pretty much failed a couple of times because I was laughing so hard.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
watching the linked video of the actual mission, it's clunky and the action plus the movement are pretty unnecessary, but the actual scene itself was kinda impressive from a story and acting standpoint tbh.

RedSwirl

Linear "experience-driven" shooters have gotten ridiculous. In their effort to shoehorn film into video games they're trying to do things they just can't fit into their current game design or a standard game controller. The result has been an experience that's just getting less and less interactive. It's still admirable that the Call of Duty developers along with others are trying to do this without using cut scenes and still want the player to feel like they have some kind of input 100% of the time, but they need to figure out what kinds of stories they can tell with those tools.

If you look all the way back at the first Modern Warfare, it basically never (or almost never) does that kind of "press X to do this extremely complex and specific action." The game also almost never limits the player from having full range of movement. You're in control the whole time, while there's a fairly exciting story happening AROUND you, crafted into the level design. Infinity Ward and Valve got this kind of storytelling right. Everyone else get's it wrong.

Caladrius

I wonder why devs continue to keep doing QTE's in contexts where it only draws attention to the fact that it's a game.

It's like watching a film and the director shows up on screen holding a sign urging you to hold the dying lover's hand. You have no idea why the fuck it's there and it underscores the fact that everything happening on-screen is artificial.

In rare cases it actually works...when the point is to make a comment on the nature of player agency or when what happens in a cutscene actually has a tangible effect on the narrative or gameplay of the rest of the game. (IE Interrupts in Mass Effect). When it isn't doing either of those things it just ends up as a garish and half-hearted attempt to make the player care about/pay attention to what's happening onscreen.

shandy706

Looks alright....textures leave a bit to be desired.

bg181GY.jpg

Added some Xbone POP

LOL

Sad thing is, the grass actually looks 3D now that you've done that.

Looks slightly above average (for a CoD game) on PC it seems. Would be nice to at least get some even higher res textures.

Top Bottom