• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT2|

Sethos said:
Me and a friend decided to check out the game again on the 360 last night ... Cheaters gone but now it's just ALL snipers! In over 5 matches, we were basically the only two people using rifles - It was just dropshotting and ADHD sniping all over the place o_O
So basically nothing has changed in 10 months or so :p

Sethos

Banned
PetriP-TNT said:
So basically nothing has changed in 10 months or so :p

I mean, it was bad before but now it's insane - Like it's some sort of pissing contest among all the teenage kids who can snipe the best, rather than be good at MW2. Has to be said, we play S&D exclusively and mainly HC, so there's more focus on camping and getting those kills and Snipers are so much more obvious in this kind of game-mode.

You can't really quickscope in black ops so a lot of those guys stuck to MW2. What I find funny after revisiting the game last night are the corner campers, still doing that shit 18 months after the game's out, come on guys you can have some fun now, let your hair down. The other thing i notice was the difference in hit detection between this and black ops, they're worlds apart in this department.

Untracked

celestial body said:
The other thing i notice was the difference in hit detection between this and black ops, they're worlds apart in this department.
Yeah that was one of the reasons I stopped playing Black Op's, that and the Dodgy Spawning (did that ever get fixed?).
Quick scoping annoys me but I find Danger Close C4 to be a good way to get my revenge!

Ovid

celestial body said:
You can't really quickscope in black ops so a lot of those guys stuck to MW2. What I find funny after revisiting the game last night are the corner campers, still doing that shit 18 months after the game's out, come on guys you can have some fun now, let your hair down. The other thing i notice was the difference in hit detection between this and black ops, they're worlds apart in this department.
The hit detection in Black Ops is simply put...awful. That was my biggest gripe with hat game since day one. Never liked it because of that.

You pump twenty bullets into a guy and they don't go down. You watch the killcam after dying and all they did was drop you with five bullets...WTF.

I'll stick to MW2 to thank you vey much.

As for snipers, I've turned into one of those guys (not the quick scoping bastards). I've mastered all of the assault rifles (received Fall camo) except for the F2000 and FAL and wanted a change of pace. My game style is 99% run-and-gun and sniping allows me to sit back and just relax a bit or in gamer talk, camp...lol. I mostly play Merc Team Deathmatch and some occasional Ground War.

Montresor

I've got zero interest in the multiplayer. But I love MW2's campaign and recently I've been loving spec ops. My bro and I got stuck at snatch and grab about 8 months ago but we randomly put the game back in. After two days we only have Wetwork and Estate left on veteran. Sooo soo soooo close to getting every achievement.

Trying to hop on some Hardcore Team Deathmatch on the PS3, and it's not working. It doesn't ever go further than "testing for game". Any ideas?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Not meaning to resurrect the thread or anything, but just saying how much I'm enjoying the polish of MW2 lately. But check out this crazy story...

I actually posted one of the very first nuke videos for MW2 way back in 09, but Activision removed it immediately as it received nearly 150k views in 24 hours. I had no idea how viral it had become...

Just today I spoke with Actitivison's legal department regarding the copyright infringement and...I got my video back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prK-lmQzyDo

The gameplay is scrubby as hell since it was day 0, but the reaction at the end from the completely new players is pretty priceless.

Why is the animation in these games SOOOO bad. I mean the Killcam REALLY shows how lazy the devs got. The knife doesn't even look like it even HITS the dude.

kuYuri

TacticalFox88 said:
Why is the animation in these games SOOOO bad. I mean the Killcam REALLY shows how lazy the devs got. The knife doesn't even look like it even HITS the dude.

It's a first person game. The same reason it's not really worth playing Mirror's Edge in third person using mods. Faith has shit animations. Devs don't have to put a big focus on animations when game is first person.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Strider2K99 said:
I have a feeling the thread may make a bit of a comeback when MW3 gets announced.

We'll get our COD thread back Strider, oh yes. Any day now I think the first trailer should be coming out.

Didn't they say April before?

kuYuri

LeMaximilian said:
We'll get our COD thread back Strider, oh yes. Any day now I think the first trailer should be coming out.

Didn't they say April before?

I've seen rumors say middle of April (past middle of April at this point) to around April 30th.

History has shown CoD titles to be revealed around around end of April, but all bets are off after the IW/Activision fallout. If we're lucky, we'll see something before E3.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Strider2K99 said:
I've seen rumors say middle of April (past middle of April at this point) to around April 30th.

History has shown CoD titles to be revealed around around end of April, but all bets are off after the IW/Activision fallout. If we're lucky, we'll see something before E3.

God, I REALLY want this game to be good. MW2 makes me realize how great the possibilities are, besides the whole 'too many chefs in the kitchen aspect'.

I've been playing this again recently on 360 and I fucking hate those spam messages about being infected that take up 1/3 of the screen. Has that been going on a long time? It's an easy thing to patch, surely.

I still love the game though. Soooo much better than Black Ops. It might be frustrating as hell at times, but there isn't a more fun FPS to play online, outside of perhaps Counter-Strike.

Also, I don't have much hope for MW3 with IW being gutted. I hope I'm wrong, but Battlefield 3 is what I have my eye on this year :(

The hack now is worse than ever. Colored letters popping up on the screen, people shooting across the map through walls, automatic interventions. I joined a non private match where everybody was jumping like 50 feet high.

rapid32.5

same things happened with Ps3 version not long time ago before the patch, they didn't release it for 360 as well ? I tried to play COD4 on PS3 two weeks ago, it didn't even work due to severe hacks, it probably collapsed or something.

Ovid

biggkidd32 said:
The hack now is worse than ever. Colored letters popping up on the screen, people shooting across the map through walls, automatic interventions. I joined a non private match where everybody was jumping like 50 feet high.
I knew about the spam messages but not this shit again.

I'm still a regular on MW2 360 and ain't seen hackers around in aaages. Certainly not this week and I usually put at least 6 hours a week on the game, since release. Ive been off work this week and put at least 6 hours in this week already, I'm in the UK mind so I don't know if that will make a difference?

Anyways, MW3 can't come soon enough. If they just released ModernWarfare 2.5 then I'd be over the moon.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I've been playing this again recently on 360 and I fucking hate those spam messages about being infected that take up 1/3 of the screen. Has that been going on a long time? It's an easy thing to patch, surely.

Yeah what the hell, every game I played for the past week, I got those messages! I been reporting the people who send them, hopefully more people do too. Might get them banned faster.

At first I thought it was because of MS unbanning consoles?

tsigo

Just spent the better part of an hour being called a "camping faggot" by one raging douchebag despite literally never standing still through four matches. Never change, Xbox Live.

Kinyou

TacticalFox88 said:
.....ever played the single-player?

Ovid

tsigo said:
Just spent the better part of an hour being called a "camping faggot" by one raging douchebag despite literally never standing still through four matches. Never change, Xbox Live.
Happens to me all the time.

Ovid

I solved the mystery of the Holographic sight. I've been play this game since launch and I've come to the conclusion that the Holographic sights do not increase damage but increase the likelihood of obtaining a headshot (obviously when aiming at the head).

tarius1210 said:
I solved the mystery of the Holographic sight. I've been play this game since launch and I've come to the conclusion that the Holographic sights do not increase damage but increase the likelihood of obtaining a headshot (obviously when aiming at the head).

I believe Holographic sights just extended the aim assist a bit further for select weapons, other than that it is a different aesthetic looking red dot sight.

Ergh, playing this again after playing BO feels weird. I'm running too much because I'm not expecting everyone to have shotguns and noob tubing feels a little more eminent. I'll get used to it but it's taking a while to get used to; especially given that I prestiged before I stopped playing so I have none of my good classes, etc..

Aside from that, there's definitely more explodey shit in MP, and the demo spawns on Favela seem a little... shaky.

Wibble.

EDIT: Shouldn't I be in the Community?

CyReN

With both games out for some time now. Which is the better mp game? I'm thinking about picking up one of them soon again. Yes I've played both but I'm more of a Halo guy.

MW2 or Black Ops.

CyReN said:
With both games out for some time now. Which is the better mp game? I'm thinking about picking up one of them soon again. Yes I've played both but I'm more of a Halo guy.

MW2 or Black Ops.
MW2 was made by the A-team and BO was made by the B-team.

I've never played Black Ops but just sayin'.

CyReN said:

MW2 or Black Ops.
Modern Warfare 2 is exponentially better than Black Ops.

Kotomi said:
Modern Warfare 2 is exponentially better than Black Ops.

Multiplayer? Hell nah. BO has bad lag issues but it's better then MW2 in almost every other way. Better maps, better weapon balance, killstreaks/perks are not nearly as overpowered and the purchase system is pretty great. I can go on. I'll bitch about various issues in BO, but after trying MW 2 again this past week, I didn't find it nearly as broken.

Tkawsome said:
Multiplayer? Hell nah. BO has bad lag issues but it's better then MW2 in almost every other way. Better maps, better weapon balance, killstreaks/perks are not nearly as overpowered and the purchase system is pretty great. I can go on. I'll bitch about various issues in BO, but after trying MW 2 again this past week, I didn't find it nearly as broken.
Black Ops doesn't have better weapons, maps or killstreaks. The purchase system is pretty cool, but that's about all it has going for it.

Treyarch should stop making CoD games and leave it to the professionals.

It definitely felt as though there was less shit going on in BO, but the gunplay in MW2 feels snappier.

I'd wager you need to start playing MW2 again, because if that's the route they're going down then you'll just get overwhelmed by explodey shit and guys hiding on fridges.

LoS on many maps feels just too large at times on MW2. I dunno, maybe it's me having not played it for a while..

It's still fun at times though.

Its hard to say which is better.

MW2 just feels a lot better and has a lot more incentive to try different classes, weapons, etc(earning emblems and titles), but you also have all of the BS stuff like danger close, quickscoping 360 snipers, commando lungers/knife runners, and OMA noobtubers.

Black Ops on the other hand is a lot more balanced imo. Other than the AK74 I dont feel really any other gun is overpowered compared to anything else. On the other hand, Black Ops can get boring imo since there isn't much incentive to try other things since you can pretty much buy any title/emblem you want rather than earning stuff. Not to mention for people who like to prestige(like myself) the 50 levels go by way too fast and by the time you get some of the Pro perks like ghost pro, you end up wanting to prestige.

If only MW2 was as balanced as black ops. :(

All in all, I had a lot more fun with MW2 despite it making me rage a lot more than BO ever does.

Wow a big 'What The Fuck' at people saying MW2 > BLOPS at MP.

Black Ops is effectively a carbon copy of MW2's gameplay with some hit detection issues. However it has more customization, better weapon balance, better gametypes, less effective noob tubes and less effective quick scoping.

For those reasons alone BLOPS is worth every bit of your time over MW2.

Stripper13 said:
Wow a big 'What The Fuck' at people saying MW2 > BLOPS at MP.

Black Ops is effectively a carbon copy of MW2's gameplay with some hit detection issues. However it has more customization, better weapon balance, better gametypes, less effective noob tubes and less effective quick scoping.

For those reasons alone BLOPS is worth every bit of your time over MW2.

An Inferior carbon copy.

Weapon balance? Every weapon is so nearly identical to each other that it's pathetic. It doesn't even come close to having the variety of MW2.
The shotguns, snipers & explosives may have been nerfed, but now they're completely useless in any situation.

The maps are across the board smaller, overly simplified & just less intricate. Like Havana is just one flat rectangle strip of land with two little enclaves at the opposite ends of the map for the teams to spawn.

Compare that to Quarry or Karachi in MW2, just a completely different level in design.

See You Next Wednesday said:
The maps are across the board smaller, overly simplified & just less intricate. Like Havana is just one flat rectangle strip of land with two little enclaves at the opposite ends of the map for the teams to spawn.

Compare that to Quarry or Karachi in MW2, just a completely different level in design.

Wait, people LIKED the MW2 maps? Jesus Christ, those maps are top 3 in why I almost broke my disc in half alongside all the other annoying crap that made me stop playing this. None of these games have gotten close to CoD4, but MW2 in particular was much, MUCH worse in almost every area.

An Inferior carbon copy.

Weapon balance? Every weapon is so nearly identical to each other that it's pathetic. It doesn't even come close to having the variety of MW2.
The shotguns, snipers & explosives may have been nerfed, but now they're completely useless in any situation.

All of this is true.

One word that's been mentioned is that MW2 is fun! Still playing now as I've just ditched Blops, wish I'd ditched it months ago. Piece of shit game. I'm now enjoying playing COD again, yeah MW2 has bullshit perks and classes, but if you don't find it frustrating then you'll find it fun.

I hope MW3 takes nothing from Black Ops!

Makoto

Looks like someone forgot Scrapyard which was even less intricate. Besides Havana is just the Crossfire of Black Ops.

An Inferior carbon copy.

It's fair to say the weapons in BLOPS can feel bland over time but I'd take that over the tubes, interventions and UMP45 any day of the week. On top of that, the weapon variety was limited to a few select guns in both games when facing moderately experienced players.

As for the maps - that's a matter of opinion. I found Quarry to be one of the worst maps I've had to endure, while Array in BLOPS I thoroughly enjoyed. Most of the maps are fairly simple and the routes are nearly always obvious within the first few run throughs. Either way, map design is not a strong point for COD games in general - so arguing which game had better maps is splitting hairs at best - it's largely the same bullshit littered with camping regardless of the map.

Don't get me wrong - I played MW2 way more than I play(ed) BLOPS - but one of the games is a cess pool of weapon/perk/knife/attachment/killstreak abuse and the other is the same game with better balance (for example, no killstreak stacking) and worse net code and hit detection.

legacyzero

Banned
CyReN said:

MW2 or Black Ops.

Here's a take from an avid player of both:

MW2:
-Smoother controls
-Zero hit detection issues
-Cluster Fuck of killing
-Killstreaks chain from each other (so there's usually a plane in the sky trying to kill you)
-Unbalanced perk combinations creating annoying exploits that throw off the rythm of the game
-Each player gets WAY too much fire power (IE shotgun secondaries, One Man Army+Danger close)

Black Ops:
-Fixes most of MW2's issues (imbalances, exploits)
-No killstreak chains
-TERRIBLE hit detections.

I prefer Black Ops simply because it's more balanced and manages to keep a smooth rhythm. But get ready to get frustrated at bullets not connecting sometimes...

legacyzero

Banned
An Inferior carbon copy.

I'd call the bolded a necessary evil because the combination of Stopping Power and Juggernaut being removed (because they are both useless perks that end up canceling each other out and make players feel they have to use one or the other to be competitive)

Otherwise, I agree that most of the weapons in BLOPS aren't very individual of themselves.

Top Bottom