• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: [R E F L E X] (Wii) Screens

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AceBandage said:
You really should take a close look at many of the textures in HD games.

Here's one of the biggest releases of the generation:

http://www.quarterplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/metal_gear_solid4.jpg[IMG]

Muddy, stretched textures that would barely pass on the PS2.

Now, I'm not saying that SMG and MP are the end all be all of beautiful textures, but let's face it.
The resources in most next gen games aren't going into this kind of detail. It's going into flashy lighting and particle effects that you barely notice.[/QUOTE]

You can't be serious.

Razien

Banned
Alcibiades said:
Because maybe Wii-only owners would like to play Modern Warfare?

A spinoff is fine but not at the cost of getting the mainline game.

A two years old port lacking some stuff?
I don't mean ANOTHER spin-offs, but a main game, exclusive for Wii (like Shaun White, or NFS Nitro, but done with same effort as a mainline). I'd be happier with that. Worst case scenario, I'd like at least have to pay the proper price for the port, which is cheaper than a brand new game. Heck, other platforms are getting the superior MW2, why should we get the first now and not 2? I don't want to play the IW CoDs only two years after launch for the rest of the generation. I1d certainly be more happy with only a single, kickass Wii FPS by a quality team than having both gimped CoD WaW and late MW1.

TTP said:
You can't be serious.

Oh?
Am I wrong?
So few developers actually spend that amount on painstakingly going over every inch of an environment, something that Retro is known for, and instead cover it up with lighting and constant blur effects.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AceBandage said:
Oh?
Am I wrong?
So few developers actually spend that amount on painstakingly going over every inch of an environment, something that Retro is known for, and instead cover it up with lighting and constant blur effects.

Do you really want me to post pics that prove that you are indeed wrong?

DMeisterJ

Banned
TTP said:
Do you really want me to post pics that prove that you are indeed wrong?
Let's not turn this into pics wars.

For the record, I do agree he is assuredly wrong, but obviously delusional, so pics would do nothing but derail this thread. Let's keep this on topic of this truly horrid looking game :D

DMeisterJ said:
Let's not turn this into pics wars.

For the record, I do agree he is assuredly wrong, but obviously delusional, so pics would do nothing but derail this thread. Let's keep this on topic of this truly horrid looking game :D

My toad induced delusions have nothing to do with this matter.
:(

Durante

AceBandage, you do realize that for a fair comparison of actual texture detail you'd have to look at screenshots of these games at the same resolution? (So either upscale the Wii shots to 720p or downscale the other games to 640*480)

donny2112

Razien said:
why should we get the first now and not 2?

• Wii owners didn't get the first when it came out previously.
  • IW doesn't do Wii games.
  • Assuming MW1 sells (and I think it will), MW2 will come when IW gets to doing MW3.

Thankfully, Treyarch isn't against doing Wii games (and they seem to be getting better and better at it with each CoD release), so the odd number CoDs will get a competent Wii port at the same time. And as a by-product of being in charge of porting the IW CoDs since IW won't/can't, the Wii versions are getting practiced on every year and should be getting better and better.

Razien said:
I don't want to play the IW CoDs only two years after launch for the rest of the generation.

Only IW CoDs. Treyarch's got the Wii covered. :)

[Nintex]

Durante said:
AceBandage, you do realize that for a fair comparison of actual texture detail you'd have to look at screenshots of these games at the same resolution? (So either upscale the Wii shots to 720p or downscale the other games to 640*480)
I think he's talking about games like Rainbow Six Vegas 2, in which the developers just plastered random single colored shit on the walls and covered it up with blur effects and some forms of 'mapping' here and there.

[Nintex] said:
I think he's talking about games like Rainbow Six Vegas 2, in which the developers just plastered random single colored shit on the walls and covered it up with blur effects and some forms of 'mapping' here and there.

Or that new Namco-Bandai game, Infusion or whatever.

Again, I never said there weren't HD games that are better than SMG and MP, but saying that a texture artists groans when he has to work on the Wii, when he obviously hasn't even been trying on the PS3/360...

fallagin

This game should be great with the wiimote. Even if the graphics aren't super amazing people buy wii games for innovative control schemes. Graphics don't usually get in the way of a fun experience, as long as the game plays well then you can laugh at the bad graphics while you have fun playing the game.

fallagin said:
This game should be great with the wiimote. Even if the graphics aren't super amazing people buy wii games for innovative control schemes. Graphics don't usually get in the way of a fun experience, as long as the game plays well then you can laugh at the bad graphics while you have fun playing the game.

For me, the problem lies less in the graphics, and more in the fact that it's a quick and cheap port of a 2 year old game, likely with content cut out.

donny2112

AceBandage said:
likely with content cut out.

Everything's there except:

• Kill cam FPS review of who killed you.
  • No DLC.
  • Reduced number of players online but higher than WaW.
  • No local multi-player.

All the single-player content is there as well as vast majority of the multi-player. Quick? Yes. Cheap (compared to a new game)? Most likely. Low quality? It honestly doesn't sound like it to me. Treyarch is known for pumping out great quality games in a short time (wasn't it 9 months for CoD3?), and their Wii ability keeps improving with each release (this'll be the third). Don't knock it too much just yet. ;)

I really wish we can get some media from this game. Only then will I go out and buy it. I had much more fun with WaWii than WaW PC despite the cut content and worse graphics, and I'm sure I will have more fun with Modern Warfare Wii than Modern Warfare 360 (maybe even MW2 depending on how that turns out).

I never go blind into a purchase though, and neither should anyone else. I need to see this game in action.

Ydahs

Durante said:
That'll then be unfair for the many PS360 games.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
AceBandage said:
For me, the problem lies less in the graphics, and more in the fact that it's a quick and cheap port of a 2 year old game, likely with content cut out.
well that's the thing, there's really very little cut out, if you count it as cut out in the first place. because of a limit on players, there's no ground war, and because of optimization issues, there's also no splitscreen, but everything else has been preserved from the original. there was a note that one of the cheats wouldn't make it in due to constraints, but they replaced it with something else. there's not Wii Speak either, but i'm sure that will make it in later iterations.

the thing is, the guys at Treyarch seem more invested and interested in their consumers on the Wii than their publisher or IW, so we at least have that much. i would doubt fyzxwhyz would post answers to our questions if they didn't, so i do have some faith in this game. i mean, their current consumer relations are better than IW with the whole dedicated server debacle.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AceBandage said:

metal_gear_solid4.jpg

Now, I'm not saying that SMG and MP are the end all be all of beautiful textures, but let's face it.
The resources in most next gen games aren't going into this kind of detail. It's going into flashy lighting and particle effects that you barely notice.
You have got to be kidding me. That shot was taken from the pre-release trailer shown before the PS3 even launched. The texture detail in most games this generation is MUCH higher than anything the Wii could ever hope to achieve.

If you want to play it that way, how about some goodness? Those ground textures are pretty low resolution...

915692_20071106_screen015.jpg

...or even better... Amazing textuers!! :O

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070822001340773.jpg

MGS4 may have been a big release, but its textures were generally below par for this generation. Kojima Productions clearly had some issues with memory management (hence the loading points everywhere). Still, the textures are much higher resolution than anything in Mario or Prime 3. Look at that ground texture in the first shot. Care to find anything in those Wii titles that can match that?

10s8aop.jpg

23jhhle.jpg

The Hermit

Please guys, stop comparing Wii to Ps3 in terms of graphics, the diference is too obvious to be pointed out almost 3 years into this gen.

Staying on topic though, the fact that there isn't a single video of this game yet, makes me believe it will be WAY below the best graphics the Wii can achieve.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
AceBandage said:

You clearly overestimate what a PS2 game looks like mate.

rezuth

Baiano19 said:
Please guys, stop comparing Wii to Ps3 in terms of graphics, the diference is too obvious to be pointed out almost 3 years into this gen.

Staying on topic though, the fact that there isn't a single video of this game yet, makes me believe it will be WAY below the best graphics the Wii can achieve.
I have emailed both IW and Treyarch. NO RESPONSE :(

le.phat

AceBandage said:

metal_gear_solid4.jpg

The resources in most next gen games aren't going into this kind of detail. It's going into flashy lighting and particle effects that you barely notice.

muddy, stretched textures? Even MGS4, wich has pretty low res textures compared to other high profile ps3 games runs circles around anything on wii. But you're right about one thing: Alot of resources are spent on flashy lighting, THANK GOD, because with the right lighting engine even the weakest geometry and texture work can lead to increible visuals. Another reason why this port, and wii games in general should never be compared to anything other than the ps2.

gogogow

dark10x said:
MGS4 may have been a big release, but its textures were generally below par for this generation. Kojima Productions clearly had some issues with memory management (hence the loading points everywhere). Still, the textures are much higher resolution than anything in Mario or Prime 3. Look at that ground texture in the first shot. Care to find anything in those Wii titles that can match that?
Wow, is he serious with the MGS4 pic? He obviously haven't played the game.
But dark10x, for KP first PS3 game MGS4 is pretty decent in looks, textures and all.
One picture of Uncharted and we're done, but let's stay with MGS4 for now.

ame9zp.jpg

2dmegde.jpg

2a98zmp.jpg

iamaustrian said:
how about to stop derailing the thread?
it's ridiculous. 95% of the posts in this thread have nothing at all to do with the thread topic.

edit:

you too? seriously?

Don't be alarmed, one person said that Wii textures are better than PS3 textures. Time to prove the world wrong!

Mr. Snrub said:
Don't be alarmed, one person said that Wii textures are better than PS3 textures. Time to prove the world wrong!

What's funny is, that was never said.
What was said, however, was that the a few high quality Wii games have better textures than many HD games (which is actually true).

CTLance

Oooooh, I like that rock to the left. Reminds me of that Starwars robot trader thingy.

Edit: Wow, there's a death star to the right! Awesome!

MiniDitka

Haunted said:
Is that from COD4? I never played it so I wouldn't have a clue if it is.

Edit: Question for those that have played COD4 and World At War, would you say one is more graphic intensive than the other or are they about the same?

boiled goose

good with gravy
One poster says that the best looking wii games like SMG and MP3 have better textures than some HD games and people get all defensive and post pictures of the best looking HD games...

seriously...

Top Bottom