• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Warzone - 150P / Free to Play / Cross Platform

FranXico

All f2p games have Been free to plaly on PS4 without plus.
Regarding no PS+ for F2P games, Sony has always had a fineprint on that since PS4 launch ("on a per game basis").
It just so happens that so far, no one wanted to be the first jerk to require PS+. Because people have already gotten used to that by now. Let's hope it stays this way with the PS5.

Menace-UK-

Neo Member
Not even solo mode at launch. What is this?

Absolutely bungled launch. Apparently trios only at launch.

Someone please, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Seems you were right, no solos or duos.

My interest in Warzone is now virtually 0.Why are game companies so dumb and ignorant?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Is crossplay forced or opt in?

I really dont know how its fair to gamepad users to be forced against people using M&K. Even with generous amounts of aim assist I dont see that working out too well.
If it's like MW, it'll match you with people using the same control input regardless of the platform they're playing on. And in MW you can disable it for every mode except Ground War.

KINGMOKU

Seems you were right, no solos or duos.

My interest in Warzone is now virtually 0.Why are game companies so dumb and ignorant?
So think about how dumb this is. Players who only play quads, no to very little interest like me. Players who only play solo like you, no to very little interest.

This has to be a pretty decent portion of gamers out there. I wont hazard a guess as to what amount, but its gotta be substantial. I haven't turned on modern warfare for about a month, and with this news I wont for the foreseeable future as well. That has to hurt their bottom line in terms of purchasing cosmetics on a F2P game.

Seems dumb as hell, but what do I know?

Menace-UK-

Neo Member
So think about how dumb this is. Players who only play quads, no to very little interest like me. Players who only play solo like you, no to very little interest.

This has to be a pretty decent portion of gamers out there. I wont hazard a guess as to what amount, but its gotta be substantial. I haven't turned on modern warfare for about a month, and with this news I wont for the foreseeable future as well. That has to hurt their bottom line in terms of purchasing cosmetics on a F2P game.

Seems dumb as hell, but what do I know?
The whole "we want quick matchmaking" excuse is hilarious. It's COD, it's F2P, it is cross platform. This could be 500 players and still have quick matchmaking in all lobbies.

KINGMOKU

Oh wait, no duos or solo? No thank you then.
Absolutely crazy isn't it? I have been playing blackout nonstop for the lead up and it would appear that there is no lead up. Why would they screw all the blackout players, a base already built in who love that game? Beyond fucking stupid.

I am actually shocked at how dumb this all is.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Absolutely crazy isn't it? I have been playing blackout nonstop for the lead up and it would appear that there is no lead up. Why would they screw all the blackout players, a base already built in who love that game? Beyond fucking stupid.

I am actually shocked at how dumb this all is.
Only thing I can think of is that maybe in their eyes this will get more people to make their friends download it.

KINGMOKU

Only thing I can think of is that maybe in their eyes this will get more people to make their friends download it.
And then not be able to play with them because there is no quads?

It's just a big fuck you to all the COD loyalists out there, and especially blackout players. No big deal for me. There is a ton of competition out there for my money and I will begin to spend it elsewhere. I have never tried firestorm(?) So I'll jump there first.

Menace-UK-

Neo Member
Yes cause your friends are going to spend a week downloading a game they have 0 interest in just because they didn't add solos. Most likely scenario is the usebase just plummets cause your rando teamates are always terrible and seeming never played a shooter before.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Yes cause your friends are going to spend a week downloading a game they have 0 interest in just because they didn't add solos. Most likely scenario is the usebase just plummets cause your rando teamates are always terrible and seeming never played a shooter before.
I'm referring to the friends that are probably haven't played a COD in years, but might be interested in trying out a F2P BR version of it. Don't fucking cry to me about it, I don't work at Activision.

Menace-UK-

Neo Member
I'm referring to the friends that are probably haven't played a COD in years, but might be interested in trying out a F2P BR version of it. Don't fucking cry to me about it, I don't work at Activision.
Then they would already be downloading it if that was the case. Don't get snappy cause your point had no point.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Then they would already be downloading it if that was the case. Don't get snappy cause your point had no point.
Okay Officer Doofy, I'll try and keep it simple for you.

Often times the early audience for a f2p game is the casual player. The idea is to get them hooked and keep them coming back and potentially buying something. By forcing group matchmaking, it helps push those playing at launch to try and get their friends that wouldn't necessarily be there at launch, because they either no longer play COD or have never played to begin with, to give the game a shot and play with them.

Not once did I say this was in fact true, and hell I don't even like the idea. So quit your bitching, because I had nothing to do with the decision.

Cleared_Hot

Call me crazy but I much prefer the confined, smaller maps with smaller player counts of MW and the like to this growing trend of massive maps and huge player counts...? Anybody else?
But its nice to have variety! Id rather have it and not care than not have it at all. You never know when you have friends who wanna play it and youd be left out .

Gamernyc78

Banned
Regarding no PS+ for F2P games, Sony has always had a fineprint on that since PS4 launch ("on a per game basis").
It just so happens that so far, no one wanted to be the first jerk to require PS+. Because people have already gotten used to that by now. Let's hope it stays this way with the PS5.

👀👀Free still for psplus 😁

They need to recall this kind of game : Free to pay... How many kids will buy season pass only by the pressure of they're friends ? Free to play + payable skins are the worst garbage out there, is just a bad joke to catch the most fragile out there...

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
They need to recall this kind of game : Free to pay... How many kids will buy season pass only by the pressure of they're friends ? Free to play + payable skins are the worst garbage out there, is just a bad joke to catch the most fragile out there...
I mean if your the parent and your letting your kid control your bank account then you have a different problem on your hands way beyond video games.

Last edited:

Shmunter

And then not be able to play with them because there is no quads?

It's just a big fuck you to all the COD loyalists out there, and especially blackout players. No big deal for me. There is a ton of competition out there for my money and I will begin to spend it elsewhere. I have never tried firestorm(?) So I'll jump there first.

Being a live service, shit's gonna change regularly to keep it fresh. Don't lose hope.

Amaranty

Definitely going to try this out. I watched Jackfrags video yesterday how it's different from other BG games and it seems quite interesting.

As much as I hate to say this, because fuck Activision, if they give a shit about real issues like lag compensation and other network related bugs, then I can see this pushing Apex out of the way as our main battle royale. Still not sold on any of the special features, least of all the gulag shit.

Menace-UK-

Neo Member
Okay Officer Doofy, I'll try and keep it simple for you.

Often times the early audience for a f2p game is the casual player. The idea is to get them hooked and keep them coming back and potentially buying something. By forcing group matchmaking, it helps push those playing at launch to try and get their friends that wouldn't necessarily be there at launch, because they either no longer play COD or have never played to begin with, to give the game a shot and play with them.

Not once did I say this was in fact true, and hell I don't even like the idea. So quit your bitching, because I had nothing to do with the decision.

Nobody i s saying you had or have anything to do with it.You might want to get that constant 'I'm a victim' mentality sorted out.

And again, your logic here is hilarious. Forcing grouo play doesn't do that. They are friends, they are going to try and get gheir friends to play anyway.Have you never had a friend ?

Last edited:

sowasred2012

Neo Member
Re: PS Plus - I don't understand why Sony couldn't make this clear in the blog post. There, it states that it's "free for all players" (which I would take to mean literally all PS4 owners), and PS Plus members will get some bonus DLC pack thing.

Then, contrary to that, there's that Warzone ad floating around stating that PS Plus is required.

The only place I've seen it "confirmed" that PS Plus isn't required is that CharlieIntel twitter account (I've no idea how reputable that is), and then a lot of gaming news outlets using that as their source. I guess we'll find out later today, I just don't see why it's not explicitly stated in any official communication. I could speculate, optimistically, that Sony are reluctant to state that PS Plus isn't required for a bound-to-be-popular game, because they obviously want to constantly encourage people to subscribe.

VulcanRaven

I will definitely try this because its free to play. What is the file size on PS4 if I don't have MW?

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I was so hyped for this having Blackout in mind but after seeing the gameplay that hype dropped significantly. You start the game with two bars of armour out of three, health regenerates and theres no such thing as hunting for better gear and syringes/medkits

There goes the BR intensity. Will still give it a try when it drops in 4 hours

Top Bottom