• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Warzone PS4 received an update with 120 FPS mode on PS5

ANIMAL1975

So it looks like some improvements in SDK which make it possible now?

Tool GIF by memecandy

Some tools just need more playing around to get the job done.

Rossco EZ

did they ever add a in game option to choose 120fps mode in the menu or do you still have to change your resolution and refresh rate in console settings?

FingerBang

Oh wow. This is confirmed to be a PS4 version with 120 fps support, correct? That would be the first time. I wonder if they'll update games like Mass Effect LE now that's possible.

Thief1987

*Requires HDMI 2.1
Why?

I know 4K/120hz requires 2.1 but 1080p/120hz should be just fine with 2.0..
Yeah it will work in 1080/120 but you also need to disable HDR.

Oh wow. This is confirmed to be a PS4 version with 120 fps support, correct? That would be the first time. I wonder if they'll update games like Mass Effect LE now that's possible.
Yes, it's still PS4 app, there is no native PS5 version.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well I'm surprised....I didnt think devs would put in the work for PS4/PS5.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Sad that people still support this franchise after they gutted multiplayer and implemented rigged matchmaking. Keep funding Koticks absurd bonus I guess and getting less for your money year after year with $20 skin packs and a broken, lack of content paid game at launch.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
This is good news, now that the hard limit on backwards compatibility have been removed all the backwards compatibility comparisons take on a new meaning.
Would give it a try but since my battlepass is on Xbox it messes up your character if you move between systems.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Someone needs to check if it’s running pro or basic PS4 mode like on XsX using One version

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

The PS5 version of Fallen Order manages to read the PS4 save file directly from the drive. This is also a big change since no other companies managed to do the same (they had to implement an option in-game to upload the save to their own cloud so they could then retrieve it in the PS5 version). I bet Sony has made some changes to the PS4/PS5 SDK recently.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

isn’t it well known XsX doubling frames in BC runs the base One versions? DF even did a video or 2 on it.
no im pretty sure it does run the one x settings.

Call of Duty: Warzone - what's really happening on PS5 and Xbox Series consoles? • Eurogamer.net

First things first, we can confirm that Warzone is indeed a backwards compatibility title, even though Xbox Series X and S versions receive 'optimised' status, presumably owing to their 120Hz support. However, running matched feeds of Xbox One X and Series X side-by-side, it's pretty clear that this is effectively the same game - though there are some interesting improvements, mostly delivered by the efforts of the Xbox compatibility team. First of all, the Series X hardware essentially eliminates the dynamic resolution sub-4K rendering seen on Xbox One X, which scales between 1920x2160 all the way up to 3840x2160. In every pixel count we carried out, Series X delivers full ultra HD resolution - even in scenarios where Xbox One X drops well beneath 60 frames per second. In essence, Warzone fully taps out back-compat support, with a 2x resolution multiplier - impressive stuff.

There are further enhancements, too. Again, it seems likely that the console's baked in compatibility features are brought to the fore, with 16x anisotropic filtering engaged on Series X, significantly improving the quality of ground textures. Also notable is that grass draw distance also seems to get a boost. it doesn't affect gameplay - but a clear upgrade over the original One X rendering of a scene. It appears everywhere too. The icing on the cake is that no matter how we tried to push the game, Warzone locked to 60 frames per second on the Series X. It has the extra horsepower to tap into and we'd expect that DRS is still there as a last resort. All told then, it's effectively a locked 4K60 by default, assuming you are running on a 60Hz screen.

Last edited:

RobRSG

Sony’s pulled some leavers it would seem.

How about surprising your fans with some nice frame doubling of bc titles?
God of War
Ghost of Tsushima
The Last of Us Part II
Ratchet and Clank
Days Gone

The thing is already happening, only that this is the first 3rd Party game to receive the treatment.

Andodalf

Banned
God of War
Ghost of Tsushima
The Last of Us Part II
Ratchet and Clank
Days Gone

The thing is already happening, only that this is the first 3rd Party game to receive the treatment.

Those are 30 FPS games run at 60. That just takes removing the 30 FPS cap. Going to 120 was previously impossible for PS4 games

KAL2006

Banned
Their tools still don't seem to allow increase of resolution for all their games. All their patches so far have upgraded FPS to 60 but no resolution increases like PS4 Pro did for PS4 games.

FingerBang

Huh. I thought they said this wasn’t possible on PS4 games and that 120Hz would require a native PS5 app? Did something change?
That's we're all asking. Either Sony made it available in a newer version of the SDK or the people behind COD have found a way to achieve 120hz on PS4.

Which, thinking about it, should be possible since PSVR supports 120hz (though I imagine only in PSVR mode).

What is strange is that they are launching a PS5 native version later this year, so this isn't even relevant for more than a couple months. I guess it must be fairly easy to implement, otherwise I don't even know why they bothered.

MikeM

This has to be about a SDK improvement. Maybe Sony is starting to cave further on the value of back compat as Xbox is really tearing it up in that regards. I can't wait to watch the DF analysis on this to see how it holds 120fps versus Series X.

VCAwe

Neo Member
Sad that people still support this franchise after they gutted multiplayer and implemented rigged matchmaking. Keep funding Koticks absurd bonus I guess and getting less for your money year after year with $20 skin packs and a broken, lack of content paid game at launch.
Oh no, a great free game with completely optional packs that you don't need to buy to play... how could they

Gamers are the most entitled cry babies there is.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Too bad they made a circus for kids out of the game.
The patch would have been awesome half a year ago, in the current state the game is not worth my bandwidth no more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom