• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Warzone PS4 received an update with 120 FPS mode on PS5

HTK

Banned
I used to play Warzone like crazy until I got banned for no reason, so I'm done with that franchise.

Again, the game is free. I never bought a pack from their store unless it was free or with accumulation of CoD points from playing. You can play for free and not pay a single cent and still be equal with everyone else, I say that's a pretty good business model.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The PS5 version of Fallen Order manages to read the PS4 save file directly from the drive. This is also a big change since no other companies managed to do the same (they had to implement an option in-game to upload the save to their own cloud so they could then retrieve it in the PS5 version). I bet Sony has made some changes to the PS4/PS5 SDK recently.
Yeah, other folks think this is the case too.

Makes sense. Then again....I heard Sony tools are done, set in stone, cant get better.....

:pie_thinking:

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

Yeah, other folks think this is the case too.

Makes sense. Then again....I heard Sony tools are done, set in stone, cant get better.....

:pie_thinking:
I bet this is something Naughty Dog pushed them to implement since they are probably working on a PS5 version of Last of Us 2 and required means to easily import PS4 saves for all users without the need to make cloud backups, etc.

assurdum

Banned
Series X runs the One X version with 16x AF and better draw distances.
mom spring GIF

Edited. My apologies in this case you are right. I thought you talked about of 16 AF used in all the games enhanced

Last edited:

Nvzman

I wonder what the performance of the 120fps mode looks like versus the Series S/X versions. The Series X version is like ~90-100fps but the dynamic res is constantly at 50% of 4K (because it cant ever hit the 120fps lock so the resolution just sits at the bottom threshold), while the Series S runs slightly better but is constantly at 50% of 1080p.

Paperboy

If it can run in 120 fps on PS5 it means we, in theory, could get a VR version when PSVR2 releases. Right? (If Warzone is still a thing then and if Activision bothers to develop such mode, which they probably won't.)

Nvzman

Can you prove me the games enhanced via patch use 16 AF on series X?

You could literally look up one Digital Foundry video, its known and has been stated that Warzone gains inherent 16xAF and slightly enhanced draw distances naturally, even with the 120fps mode patched in.
On top of this, Warzone does not use FPS boost, so it is the One X version slightly patched to include 120fps support.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Sad that people still support this franchise after they gutted multiplayer and implemented rigged matchmaking. Keep funding Koticks absurd bonus I guess and getting less for your money year after year with $20 skin packs and a broken, lack of content paid game at launch.
give the zombies mode a go it's the best one they have made yet

Allforce

Is this just for Warzone or does Black Ops on PS4/PS5 now run at 120 fps too?

Can I try this out on my PC monitor that is 144hz? It only has HDMI 2.0 so I know I can only do 1080p but that's fine.

Mr Moose

Is this just for Warzone or does Black Ops on PS4/PS5 now run at 120 fps too?

Can I try this out on my PC monitor that is 144hz? It only has HDMI 2.0 so I know I can only do 1080p but that's fine.
Black Ops Cold War? PS5 version has 120Hz mode since launch, I think (native game).

Allforce

Ahh duh ok I remember that now. I only bought the PS4 version of Cold War so I can't try it on PS5. This is just an update to MW and Warzone.

What about my 144hz monitor? My TV only does 60hz so if I plug my PS5 in to the monitor can I get 120fps on Warzone?

HTK

Banned
Yeah, I'm sure it never reaches real 4k at 120hz. Probably dynamic resolution that goes between 1080p to 1440p, hope someone does a test on this.

Shmunter

The output of 1st party 60FPS was sparse. More like a game selection limitation than a system-wide limitation.
Warzone and Rocket league devs previously made statements that they are unable to implement 120 on PS5 in bc titles without releasing PS5 versions.

Definitely not a hardware limit, but certainly a dev kit limit.

Ok, I think they did something to Warzone on the PS5. As soon as the chopper loaded in I was like wtf, I don't remember all these trees? The draw distance seems way higher, and the framerate way smoother. I'm going to have to watch one of my old videos to compare, it could be placebo. Loading seems faster too?

edit: honestly the more I play the more I think it was just placebo lol

Last edited:

Shmunter

Ok, I think they did something to Warzone on the PS5. As soon as the chopper loaded in I was like wtf, I don't remember all these trees? The draw distance seems way higher, and the framerate way smoother. I'm going to have to watch one of my old videos to compare, it could be placebo. Loading seems faster too?
Speculating, but I’m not sure introducing more trees on a cross play game is likely due to the competitive nature. Imagine some hiding behind a tree that doesn’t exists for others.

Speculating, but I’m not sure introducing more trees on a cross play game is likely due to the competitive nature. Imagine some hiding behind a tree that doesn’t exists for others.
I guess I meant more from when I was floating way in the air I think more trees were visible from higher than normal. I would agree that yeah, the game is probably going to render all of the same objects at ground level, but at 1000 feet I doubt the game would.

wazhouss

Neo Member
Anyone can confirm at what resolution it runs in 120fps mode? I think Ps5 has at least 2x the performance of ps4 pro, so I would be dissappointed if it runs at a lower res than ps4 pro.

Shmunter

I guess I meant more from when I was floating way in the air I think more trees were visible from higher than normal. I would agree that yeah, the game is probably going to render all of the same objects at ground level, but at 1000 feet I doubt the game would.
Ahh I see, draw distance. Yes, no point in culling early if don’t have to.

//DEVIL//

*Requires HDMI 2.1
Why?

I know 4K/120hz requires 2.1 but 1080p/120hz should be just fine with 2.0..
The more idiotic is why I can’t connect ps5 to monitor via hdmi to display port cable/ convertor and can’t 120 frames on a monitor that already has the refresh rate of 144 even

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nice. Finally. Now let’s get a current gen native app. Insane it’s still running on BC when you see how many older games have had complete overhauls since.

Give it a complete overhaul, haptics, adaptive triggers, full SSD use, and enhanced effects etc.

Shmunter

Nice. Finally. Now let’s get a current gen native app. Insane it’s still running on BC when you see how many older games have had complete overhauls since.

Give it a complete overhaul, haptics, adaptive triggers, full SSD use, and enhanced effects etc.
Would only be onboard if they can compress it by 70%. It’s over 200gig fully installed. I do understand you can ditch parts of it. - but still not enough.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Would only be onboard if they can compress it by 70%. It’s over 200gig fully installed. I do understand you can ditch parts of it. - but still not enough.

yeah I mean, the should theoretically be able to, looking at how small some native games are coming in at.

Last edited:

MrKnocks

Neo Member
Is there any way to actually know if you're running 120fps in the game? I honestly can't tell when I'm playing. Lol.

Kupfer

Is there any way to actually know if you're running 120fps in the game? I honestly can't tell when I'm playing. Lol.
Had the same feeling trying Cold War 120fps mode on PS5 & LG CX. I don't know if it's because I'm playing with a controller, but on PC I definitely feel the difference between 60hz - 144hz. On PS5 I don't.

MikeM

If you are HDMI 2.0 or less and your TV displays its resolution- play the game and check resolution. If its down from 4k to 1080p then you are running 120 fps (it has to go down to 1080p for 120fps).

Other (true) option is to open/play the game, pause, then go into the "Screen and Video Settings" then "Video Output Information" where it shows the current output resolution and Hz (going off memory here for the pathway).

Tygeezy

I really wish these sites would test input lag. It's even more important than frame time performance for competitive games. 90-110 with VRR could be lower latency than 120 locked assuming the gpu isn't overloaded at 99% because in order to reap the benefits of vrr lower latency you need to be a few frames below the 120 hz ceiling in order to not buffer frames.

I get the feeling consoles are not implementing VRR to it's maximum potential when I see games running at 120 FPS at 120 hz when it really should be something like 116 max in order to lower the latency. Consoles just don't give you the option to make your own custom caps though.

MrKnocks

Neo Member
If you are HDMI 2.0 or less and your TV displays its resolution- play the game and check resolution. If its down from 4k to 1080p then you are running 120 fps (it has to go down to 1080p for 120fps).

Other (true) option is to open/play the game, pause, then go into the "Screen and Video Settings" then "Video Output Information" where it shows the current output resolution and Hz (going off memory here for the pathway).

So i tried doing the second option you mentioned, and it says 60hz.

Buuuut, when I run Cold War, it says 120hz. So I tried going back to Warzone and disabled HDR and did 1080p, and it still says 60hz.

Any solution, guys?

Mr Moose

So i tried doing the second option you mentioned, and it says 60hz.

Buuuut, when I run Cold War, it says 120hz. So I tried going back to Warzone and disabled HDR and did 1080p, and it still says 60hz.

Any solution, guys?
Patch 1.38 adds a 120fps mode to Warzone on PS5. To start the game in this mode, navigate to the video settings in the PS5 system settings and set Enable 120 Hz Output to Automatic and start the game on a 120Hz display.

Top Bottom