• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Campbell's Cream of Whatever, is it okay to eat by itself?

Cream of Whatever, eat alone or ingredient?

• It's a soup. Eat it as is

Votes: 38 76.0%
  • It's an ingredient. You don't eat it solo.

Votes: 12 24.0%

• Total voters

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just because it's an ingredient in other things doesn't mean you can't eat it by itself.

Do you consider a baked potato food, or is it just an ingredient in french fries?

badblue

Gold Member
My wife says its not. Cream of Whatever is an ingredient for other things.

iu

Says "condensed soup" on the can.

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Last edited:

Durien

If you eat it solo, you will need to dilute it with water or milk. It isn't really a soup as much as it is a flavoring for other foods.

Rran

It can be a soup, but I'd say its primary purpose is as an ingredient. That might just be because I don't like the taste of those cream of whatevers by themselves.

I dunno OP, why don't you try it and find out for yourself? The only one who can answer this question is you. If it tastes good to you, no one can force you to add it to something else. If it's awful, no amount of gafers are going to make you do it again.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
If you're really struggle mealing it, pick up a bag of the microwaveable rice that is all over now. Uncle Ben's, whatever, microwaveable rice is all the same. All of those cheap Campbell's soups go really well over it. Heat up the rice, open can, dump onto rice, mix, and eat while the shame slowly darkens the room.

Or just, I dunno, go to McDonald's and get a quarterpounder. Same price, tastes better.

Tams

It's a soup and your wife is an idiot sandwich.

Unlike stock, which is an ingredient. Though you can use soup in place of stock (plus, cheap mushroom stock isn't common, so people use cream of mushroom).

That said, you can drink/eat/consume stock as if it is a soup if you want to. It's not going to turn you into a chicken or something.

daffyduck

If you're really struggle mealing it, pick up a bag of the microwaveable rice that is all over now. Uncle Ben's, whatever, microwaveable rice is all the same. All of those cheap Campbell's soups go really well over it. Heat up the rice, open can, dump onto rice, mix, and eat while the shame slowly darkens the room.

Or just, I dunno, go to McDonald's and get a quarterpounder. Same price, tastes better.
Hasn't Uncle Ben's been cancelled? But I guess you already covered the "shame" part.

Many of Campbells soups aren't the healthiest, but something tells me they're still healthier than McDonald's.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member

I'm not struggling but I had a cup of rice to cambells French onion and some shredded provolone. Very tasty.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Wow. I've heard of this cream, for example corn or whatever since I was a child from the movies. Finally. A mystery I forgot has arisen and been solved. What a morning indeed.

kuncol02

Banned
Just because it's an ingredient in other things doesn't mean you can't eat it by itself.

Do you consider a baked potato food, or is it just an ingredient in french fries?
I don't know what french fries you are making that use baked potato as ingredient.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The can pictured above not only shows a bowl of soup on the label but also informs you that it's great for cooking.

I'd say you can use it for either but that the "great for cooking" banner is like a secondary message "This can also be used in recipes".

For me, canned soup is primarily a convenience meal, and I'd say everyone, including the manufacturer knows it, if I hadn't heard of Pilgrimzero's wife's view on the subject.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
It's a "velouté", there's no equivalent in the english language i guess so they use cream.
It's just a soup with a slightly "more" solid consistency.
Your wife is wrong because she's not bourgeoise enough....
If she asks for proof tell her a french dude said so.

Top Bottom