• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Nintendo patch older GC games to work with wiimote?

Hi, was wondering if anyone explore the idea of simply patching GC games to work with the Wiimote. So basically, I could probably pay $5 - $10 and download the patch to make my older games fun again :) I think this will work better than Wii making games that makes use of the controller but no improvement in graphics.

madmook

They didn't go to all the trouble of including GC controller inputs and GC memory card slots for nothing... I'd rather they focus on making Wii games rather thinking of ways to tinker with GC games.

neptunes

Is gamecube backwards compatability achieved through emulation, or is some form of the gamecube hardware on the wii board? Like gamecube in a single chip. :lol

I think the hardware is the same basic architecture, so it downclocks to run Gamecube games natively. N64, SNES, and the rest are handled through software emulation.

And I don't think they can patch in Wii controls into a straight Gamecube game for this reason (but I wonder if you can use the Classic Controller?), however, Miyamoto recently spoke about potentially revisiting some Gamecube titles, reworking and revising them around Wii-specific control methods when it would benefit them, and releasing them at budget prices. Not pretending they were Wii sequels, just like they were Gamecube+ games.

I doubt they'll actually do this, though, or at max for just two or so titles. Reactions will probably be bad to it. But hey, they could go back and fix Sunshine up a bit...

Meier

Miyamoto indicated they might take old GameCube games and update their source code to be Wii releases and sell them at a budget price. Aint gonna happen for $5-10 though.

Top Bottom