• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can the Dualsense be charged from any USB outlet?

BreakOut

Tried looking this up but couldn’t get a definitive answer. It seems that I don’t know the right wording when it comes to googling it, because I keep seeing results about plugging it into an external charger or USB hub.
Anybody know if you can charge the Dualsense through a USB outlet hardwired into the house wall? I don’t want to have the fucking thing explode or ruin the battery from overcharging.

nowhat

Of course.

It uses a standard USB-C protocol.
Yeah. Too well, I might add. On my Linux laptop, it registers among other things as a pointer device (not only the sticks, but the touchpad is basically, well, a touchpad) and also as an audio device, so all the audio is routed through the Dualsense speaker.

I haven't bothered to change that, because I usually charge the controller when the laptop is idle/asleep, but it's not uncommon for me to go "where's my audio - ah right, Dualsense".

BreakOut

I’m just glad I don’t have to plug it into the PlayStation to charge. The cord is long on the edge controller, but my PlayStation is further. So this fixes the problem for me.

Zones

Awesome. I seen so many things that warn you about using the wrong charger and shit like that so I wasn’t really sure if that applied across the board.
Just so everything is clear to you regarding chargers in future, always look for the output voltage number of your charger (plus the voltage number of the device you want to charge), and as long as both of those match, you will not face any risky situation ever.

In this case, Dualsense is 5v, so any charger that has 5v written as one of the output options (that information is always written on the actual physical charger) then all will be fine.

A mismatch in voltage could indeed lead to a battery death or/and a battery explosion, but a mismatch in the Amps (written next to the voltage number) will yield no such risk, except for the fact that a higher Amps will potentially lead to a faster charge rate (only if the receiving device supports such a higher charge rate).

P.S. All non-identified USB slots on PC/PS5/etc are always rated as 5v.

Sethbacca

I've charged it off numerous different wall plugs and different cables, and even power banks. It works fine.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Awesome. I seen so many things that warn you about using the wrong charger and shit like that so I wasn’t really sure if that applied across the board.

That's for voltage so you don't ruin your device but I've never had an issue using anything (including a charger meant for a laptop).

Crayon

I have some cords that won't start or keep them charging. Some that are hit and miss. This seems to be worse with the new VR controllers. Anything should theoretically work, but I found a quality charger like a fast charger that comes with a good phone is the most reliable.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I have some cords that won't start or keep them charging. Some that are hit and miss. This seems to be worse with the new VR controllers. Anything should theoretically work, but I found a quality charger like a fast charger that comes with a good phone is the most reliable.
I had a similar issue but with the Switch. Got a UK model during the pandemic when they were really hard to find in NA. Couldn't use the power cord so I figured any USB C cord would power it but no, had to buy a deluxe one or something.

Last edited:

Crayon

I had a similar issue but with the Switch. Got a UK model during the pandemic when they were really hard to find in NA. Couldn't use the power cord so I figured any USB C cord would power it but no, had to buy a deluxe one or something.

Did you find it could be any stronger charger or did you try just that one?

Yup. I have USB ports in my media chairs, so I'm never out of arms reach to plug my controller in and can just play with it plugged in if I ever need to.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Generally yes, but not all phone chargers will work. It has to be 5V and at least 1.5A. It's fine if it's rated for higher than that, the controller won't draw more than it needs, but if it's lower it won't charge or will charge very slowly. There's also some other weirdness, for example my old MacBook Pro charger (USB-C charger from before they went back to the magnetic charging port) would NOT charge it. But most regular phone chargers do.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

As long as it is the correct cable it should be fine, I use any USB C to charge.

I guess it has has to feed the Switch high enough power, I tried various USB cables after losing my original Switch USB (which plugged directly into the wall socket), none worked for powering the Switch dock.

Top Bottom