• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we all agree that Joker's "Justice League" look is his best design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fj0823

The New 52 Joker is dope. When a redesign goes right.

I think the context of the face-ripping is pretty cool

It was all for one big, sick joke...just to show Batman how much he means to him

just not perfectly executed

That also gave us Angry Breakup Joker, which was awesome

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I think the context of the face-ripping is pretty cool

It was all for one big, sick joke...just to show Batman how much he means to him

just not perfectly executed

That also gave us Angry Breakup Joker, which was awesome

It also gave us Death of the Family which I consider to be up there in the top echelon of Batman stories.

Einchy

The "Batman" Only DOTF was pretty great...

It's the tie-ins which were the problem, Joker was suddenly omnipresent

Yeah, that's the one I'm referring to, I didn't read any of the tie-ins so I can't really say if they were good or bad.

In terms of animation yeah he's my favorite design, Batman Beyond movie was some peak Joker.

Alright, GAF, time to start hitting me with best Joker comic stories, the more obscure the better, I've read my fair share of the "big" Batman stories like Dark Knght Returns and Death in the Family.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I would say the Killing Joke Joker is the one design that first comes to my mind when I think of the character.

5ZAU6eX.jpg

As for live actors, it's 50:50 between Nicholson and Ledger. They have both been incredibly memorable for me.

Just gonna post different Joker designs because these kind of threads need images for reference.

If you are going to include all of the animated Jokers, you also need the Joker from the 1977 The New Adventures of Batman series and the Super Friends Joker...

Joker-1977.jpg

latest

18654311163_d84c873034_o.jpg

The Joker's design changed a lot during all of the different variants of the Super Friends.

But overall, The Joker has always been represented well in animated and live action media. Out of the animated designs, the original TAS design is still my favourite, with the Return of the Joker design being my second favourite. All of the live action actors (not including Suicide Squad since it is not out yet) that have played the Joker in the past did the character justice. They are all different from each other and always bring something new to the table.

I think these shots make his version look terrifying and creepy
660rOlR.jpg
5WGpfGP.jpg

I wasn't a fan of the initial Joker images at all. But watching the trailers for Suicide Squad, Leto's performance has been winning me over and I can't wait to see more.

Applebite

Masked Joker was a step too far, honestly. I didn't really enjoy Death of the Family from a writing standpoint, so maybe that's coloring it, but honestly, wearing his own face as a mask? Over the top, even for the Joker.
I don't think the faceless Joker was Snyder's idea, afaik it came from someone else (a Detective Comics volume and not Snyder's Batman run if I'm not mistaken).

Yup. A pretty terrifying rendition actually considering how "normal" he looks in comparison to the other Jokers.

The lack of eye makeup is acrually pretty disturbing.

Hmm, they seem to have gone for a douglas netchurch calm, detached malkavian kinda madness. Good move.

It's a little known fact that Joker is ripped. Dude is yoked as fuck. How do you think he can stand toe to toe with Batman.

By being fucked in the head to the point where he can almost completely ignore pain.

Fj0823

In terms of animation yeah he's my favorite design, Batman Beyond movie was some peak Joker.

Alright, GAF, time to start hitting me with best Joker comic stories, the more obscure the better, I've read my fair share of the "big" Batman stories like Dark Knght Returns and Death in the Family.

Batman: Endgame.
Might need to read the divisive death of the family before it.

EdmondD

There is a tie-in to Snyder's Joker run Batman and Robin Vol. 2 #15 by Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason. It's Damien Wayne by himself facing off against the Joker at a zoo. Joker has such a great look. He straight up looks demonic and horrifying. I think that may be my favorite look. I love that issue.

Astral Dog

I just dont like the Origins Joker, that dumb grin looks silly, his model looks weird and dialogue off, that scene with Bane when he destroys the building annoyed me.

After watching a bit more he gets much better but still something looks/sounds off

Astral Dog

images

Recently, this shoot left an impression, an unique take because his face looks different watching the lights (his jaw is shorter and nose looks different, like when he was before the accident) plus he looks soop happy :D

Jharp

main-qimg-340f50ed20c198ef1bfd4805b90260cc

It's a what if story, but I've always had a thing for Alfred Joker.

Also, wasn't Martha Wayne the Joker as well in a what if story?

z3phon

I think these shots make his version look terrifying and creepy
660rOlR.jpg
5WGpfGP.jpg
This looks great but those tattoos really kill the overall design.
Any close up shot of this jokers face will completely be ruined by seeing the stupid damaged tattoo on his forehead.

I mean look at this. He looks awesome but that stupid damaged tattoo is so distracting.
iUaIg7g.jpg

Bravocado

main-qimg-340f50ed20c198ef1bfd4805b90260cc

It's a what if story, but I've always had a thing for Alfred Joker.

Also, wasn't Martha Wayne the Joker as well in a what if story?

Alfred as the Joker is from What Happened to The Caped Crusader if I recall. It's an interesting idea, I'm not crazy about how the final mouth is drawn, but otherwise, I can dig it.

Marth Joker is part of an Elseworld's story where Bruce was the one who was shot, turning Martha into the Joker and Thomas into a more Punisher-esque Batman.

That very much depends on the writer. Sometimes Joker can stand toe-to-toe with Batman, sometimes he can't even take a punch. Sometimes he's an excellent hand-to-hand combatant, sometimes he flinches like a coward as soon as Batman gets within arm's reach. Animated Joker wasn't really much of a fighter most of the time.

anybody remember this "Joker"

latest

dude could give batmman da hands

Neoxon

Joker's Justice League/Static Shock/Return of the Joker design was a combination of his classic TAS design & his New Batman Adventures design. It was pretty much perfect.

Einchy

anybody remember this "Joker"

latest

dude could give batmman da hands

I liked that character but they fucked up making him the Joker, he should've been a brand new character.

Almost no one talks about that Batman series but I liked it a lot.

Is this very early batman? The art looks really well done in quite a few of those panels and modern looking

Naw, it's from a 2005 Dark Detective book. I just picked it because it came out not too long before Dark Knight.

Here's an older one:

joker6_0.jpg

Still pretty clean and self-aggrandizing.

Tizoc

Gotham central

I dislike these designs that make him deliberately creepy.

Part of what I love about DCAU Joker, and an important part of his character imo, is that he can be genuinely funny.

If he can't make you laugh one scene and be horrified the next he just doesn't work. Making him super creepy undermines that.

Savitar

I never really cared for the Jokers animated look originally, I did like it more in Batman Beyond RotJ because he felt actually like a threat. People will say he was creepy and even stalked a guy for a year and took pictures of him and his family but I would point out in the end the guy who was nothing remotely remarkable had the Joker crawling back in fear begging for Batman to save him. Also another episode he got hung upside down with his pants pulled down and people laughing their ass off at him. Yeah, being called the Joker was so right because being a joke was all he was.

The comics has recently been given him some good looks, some good designs and he's definitely feeling like a real threat, a true force of nature that the Batman has to struggle against. That the Joker is truly unpredictable and you don't know what he might do, that what he does is truly horrifying because it doesn't make sense in the rational sense. That he can be so nice and charming and in a blink be something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom