• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about how GORGEOUS Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is!!!!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Switch_Sakuna_1200x675.jpg

sakuna-of-rice-and-ruin-le.jpg

WhirlwindOldfashionedBergerpicard-size_restricted.gif

Kuranghi

Yeah!

...and I thought the initial reveal trailer looked really great already, but this is super naisu looking now.

Love the soil bumpies (tesselation) and lovely water swirling effect. I feel like the combat might be a bit too indepth for me but I'm willing to give it a try just for the graphics/design, and there should be an easy mode if I suck anyway. The pig-man reminds me of ALttP Ganon.

gettyimages-507961772.jpg

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Looks amazing, but ... is the Switch really capable of such visuals? Looks really sharp graphically, too much grass, 60fps ... can it be done?

Or is that a PC version? (Fuck, I sound like VFX Veteran)

EDIT: Ah, also comes to PS4 and PC.

Last edited:

Pejo

The art looks almost Vanillaware tier, the in-game graphics are charming enough. Not sure about the rice farming part though. That's never been high on my list of priorities to have a game built around.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Surprised we don't have a lot more Vanillaware clones (in terms of aping the art style). Levels look really vertical and I like how they let you use / swing the grappling hook and incorporate it into combat. Wouldn't have expected the combat to be so solid.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Surprised we don't have a lot more Vanillaware clones (in terms of aping the art style). Levels look really vertical and I like how they let you use / swing the grappling hook and incorporate it into combat. Wouldn't have expected the combat to be so solid.
OOOH Yeah!!! The combat looks super fun and farming part looks really cute and fun too.

Last edited:

Holammer

Tried 'The Vagrant'? It's dirt cheap at 60% off right now. Made by three Beijing based guys. It had a failed Kickstarter campaign, but they still made it without extra funding.
Personally I think there's some problems with the story, mostly certain storytelling tropes that don't work that well outside China.

Silvawuff

I'm excited for this! It's definitely got the same Vanillaware vibes in the best way possible. If anything it reignited my attention toward Vanillaware -- we haven't seen much from them lately. They released a game in Japan called 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim and it seems to have had a pretty good reception. It's due out here sometime this year (maybe, who knows).

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Tried 'The Vagrant'? It's dirt cheap at 60% off right now. Made by three Beijing based guys. It had a failed Kickstarter campaign, but they still made it without extra funding.
Personally I think there's some problems with the story, mostly certain storytelling tropes that don't work that well outside China.

Never heard of it, but I'll check it out. I'm already pleased with the graphics. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

love the art and the gameplay looks pretty nice too. maybe not super exciting but seems fine at least. I do like that whole growing and making better rice thing. for us Asian, rice is such a huge part of our life but doesn't really seem to get any spot light on any major medias outside of Japan. the game might not be everyone's cup of tea but I already pre-ordered on Amazon.

Top Bottom