• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you recall the first movie or television show that really scared you as a kid?

highrider

Banned
For me it was Salem’s Lot, a pretty mediocre tv miniseries that aired when I was a kid ( long, long ago lol ) which is really a vampire story. There’s a scene when a young kid who’s been converted to being a vampire is levitating outside another kids window to entice the kid to invite him in. Im not sure why but it really stuck with me, it scared me and still does to this day lol.

Last edited:

nush

tohtsdfsdfsdfs_465_414_int.jpg

supermaniii_vera.jpg

vlcsnap-00141.jpg

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I can still vaguely remember this scene from the original Visitors series with one of the aliens killing somebody by putting its hand on the victim’s face. I think that was it.

QSD

Really old (black & white) movie version of a christmas carol. The ghost going 'scroooooge' kept me awake a good few hours

Dr. Suchong

Around The Twist on CBBC. For a kids show, it was really fucking creepy. It was like Goosebumps on steroids.
I liked the one where one of the brothers couldn't stop saying "Without my pants" at the end of every sentence. I had a bit of a crush on the sister back then too lol

Last edited:

laynelane

My parents didn't monitor what we watched on TV so my brother and I innocently watched a late night movie called: The Exorcist. We were absolutely petrified. I still remember the slow crawl through the dark house to get to our bedrooms after - my older bro made me go first lol.

kunonabi

My sister made me watch horror movies with her all the time so I got desensitized pretty quick but Pumpkin Head was the only movie to ever result in an actual nightmare. The nightmare didn't resemble anything from the film but it still. Other than that Deadly Friend and the Wolf from The Never Ending Story really got to me.

AJUMP23

Ghostbusters. It gave me nightmares and I wasn’t allowed to watch movies for a while.

may dad says when I watched Empire strikes back I was scared of the ice monster.

Last edited:

Porcile

Yeah Salem's Lot was really creepy even though vampires are fucking stupid. I wouldn't call it mediocre. It's easily one of the best horror films ever made.

highrider

Banned
Yeah Salem's Lot was really creepy even though vampires are fucking stupid. I wouldn't call it mediocre. It's easily one of the best horror films ever made.
This was a miniseries that aired in the late 70s, I’m not familiar with the movie but this was definitely mediocre.

*Nightwing

Jaws. I was four-years old. Don't ask me why my mother took us to see that in the theater. I hid on the floor behind the seat in front of me peeking through during most of the movie. Holy fuck!
+1

I couldn’t even take baths and started showering as a toddler and I couldn’t jump in deep puddles not understanding sharks natural habitats and lack of magic don’t allow them to traverse fresh water plumbing or make it hundreds of miles inland throughout my childhood.

Pagusas

Elden Member
W4OP-f.gif

remember watching from the hall way through my bedroom door being cracked open, my parents rented it for a date night movie and told me to go to bed. Movies are way scarier when you watch them that way.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I think it was a British (kid) show; something something couple kids (brother and sister) some old geezer and underground tunnels where big hairy creatures resided that could ball up and roll through said tunnels chasing those in their way

I was maybe 5 so around 35 years ago?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Poltergeist was on telly one Boxing Day years ago when I was very young and I hid behind the sofa while my family watched it, think I was about 10 or 11.

Jaws and Poltergeist movies.
Tales of the unexpected TV show scared me to bits also.
I saw Shogun Assassin / Lone wolf and Cub at an early age which messed me up a bit afterwards too.

Vagswarm

The first Jason / Friday the 13th. Those sounds were haunting. Plus the suspense of not knowing what's going to happen. Then the water scene at the very end was a definite hell no moment.

Jason scared me for quite some time after that.

BigBooper

I think it was Arachnophobia. My dad used to watch movies late at night that we weren't allowed to, but I sometimes snuck in. It could also have been Predator or Ghostbusters. My memory's a little hazy.

poltergeist. i think it was a film..could've been a tv series. i only remember these lights moving about and it terrified me. right now i can't remember shit about it but i do remember those lights freaking me out.

im thinking it was light orbs of some kind but i might be remembering it incorrectly. could've just been general light flashes lol. my mum probably had me watch the 1982 movie when i was like 4 (thanks mum <3)

Last edited:

WoodyStare

Episode with Zeebo the Clown from Are You Afraid of the Dark

vYLQYKo.jpg

The clown itself didn’t terrify me but I definitely thought he was creepy. What really got to me was the scene where the kid is alone in his house and stalked by the clown. It would obviously look ridiculous to actually show the clown walking around the house, but the makers use this to their advantage brilliantly by playing with the imagination. The footprint on the kitchen floor, the kids reaction to the phone call, the shadow under his bedroom door. Even a reference to Black Christmas/When A Stranger Calls with the call coming from inside the house. All of that scared the shit out of me.
wWkyjzm.jpg
7uucrZa.jpg
YWaHhIg.jpg

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
Mikey pop up scare from the first Men in Black movie. I left the movie theatre right after that in tears. I was a scared little wuss back then. Also zombies from the first Resident Evil movie.

Not scared anymore, I love horror films and games. I 100% Dead Space.

Last edited:
Top Bottom