• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?

Mesoian

11/11.

And of course the human eye can see the difference. I have bad eyes (one lazy eye) and I can still tell the difference.

Now can I tell the difference between 50fps and 60? That's a more difficult question that can lead a conversation about the need to stay on the bleeding edge of graphics hardware.

11/11

It's weird to me that people can't tell the difference. It is stupid obvious when a camera is moved - it has this kind of weird, smooth effect.

frogger

I can easily tell the difference between 30 and 60. Was just playing Enslaved the other day, everything of that game is good except the FPS, which I can tell is at 30 or lower.

Man, most people here are just too cool for school.

I got 4/11, and tbh, 2 of those I got right were guesses. If I was playing the game, I wouldn't have noticed or cared either way.... both looked nice in all of those games.

Without a doubt. I got 11/11. I can always tell. I could probably tell without the side by side either. 60 FPS has smoother motion especially side-to-side camera movements. It just looks smoother.

I can tell with TV as well. Films are shot much lower FPS than some TV shows. I can always tell which shows were shot on film.

turnbuckle

Although I can easily tell the difference, I really don't have a problem with a steady 30FPS for most games. All else being equal I prefer 60FPS, but I'd be a pretty miserable and broke gamer if I required a locked 60FPS out of all my games.

It's hard to imagine a person with normal vision unable to tell the difference when shown side-by-side though.

heyf00L

Absolutely. There are some genres that I simply can't play at 30 fps (Drive Club :( ) like racing and then anything online multiplayer.

Pop

11/11

It's too easy to notice. 30fps looks like it's lagging when compared to 60fps, side by side.

I got 11/11. It's very easy for me to tell when they're side-by-side. I prefer 60 fps when possible but 30 is acceptable for the most part.

funkypie

Banned
every couple of months a thread similarly titled to the op crops up asking if people can tell the difference.

yes everyone can tell the difference unless blind.

11/11

It is a huge difference and I don't enjoy playing games below 60fps anymore.

I agree that it's a huge difference, but fortunately I can still enjoy games below 60 fps. Hell, I'm even playing Zelda: Majora's Mask right now (~20 fps?) and I'm enjoying it.

Outcome

Banned
Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?=Can you tell the difference between Black and White?

The difference is apparent but by no means is crucial.

Boogdud

Man, most people here are just too cool for school.

I got 4/11, and tbh, 2 of those I got right were guesses. If I was playing the game, I wouldn't have noticed or cared either way.... both looked nice in all of those games.

brule_makeover2.gif

For your eyes!

(sorry, I just wanted an excuse to use that gif)

Yep, I didn't even need to wait for the camera to shift to see the difference. Even so, locked 30fps is just fine. It's fluctuating framerates that bother me. A consistent 30fps is better than 45-60fps with screen tearing or stuttering.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
8/11

can barely tell a difference when they're side by side. if that had been a bunch of videos and you had to guess is it 30 or 60fps, i would just have been guessing.

Sh1ner

Please don't do it on your phone then say you can't.

Loaded the test on my Nexus 5, first video loaded and I could tell the difference immediately. Shame I can't load the second video.

My LCD monitor refresh rate is set to 75Hz, My next monitor is going to be a freesync monitor as I got an R9 290. xD

Norns

Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?=Can you tell the difference between Black and White?

The difference is apparent but by no means is crucial.
In your opinion.

It makes a pretty big impact on my gameplay experience.

Then again in run most stuff on my pc at 120 fps or higher. So maybe I'm more sensitive to it.

Abelian75

Neo Member
I suspect anyone not getting them all right is just getting tricked by the images being side-by-side. Covering up one image with my hand made it very apparent whether the non-covered-up image was 60 or 30fps. It's interesting how seeing the images side by side makes it harder to tell.

9/11 but I've been playing Archeage for about 5 hours strait and was too lazy to download chrome.

You can see the extra frames of animation on the motorbike wheels on that one game, plus the 30fps version looks floaty and a bit off. TMNT I could tell, but it didn't bother me. And that's the point really, some games I will notice right off the bat and others I'll notice it eventually, but they wont bother me all that much. Other games like first person shooters though, dear god I can't even deal for like 10 minutes and I'm ready to vomit.

Foshy

11/11. Except Race the Sun I probably could do each within a few seconds. ARMA II also took longer for me.

9/11, the ones you mentioned were the ones I got wrong.

I like 60 fps and will obviously take them over 30 fps when possible, but I have no problem playing 30 fps games. Just make sure the framerate is locked, it gets ugly when it dips or runs at some shit like 20 fps

Enco

11/11

:lol at there not being any difference.

Even with a visual impairment I'm pretty sure you'll be able to tell a difference.

I'm gonna go with the people saying there's no difference just want to be unique.

edit: obviously if you're fully blind then it's explainable. But I doubt the naysayers are. Although getting 1 or 2 wrong in this comparison is fine because some didn't have much movement.

Kayant

Race the sun was a bit tricky but most of these it's easy to see the difference from camera movement and animation.

11/11

Top Bottom