• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

i don't think anyone's tried it, because that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. my very pessimistic guess is they will refund you the true trade in value of the game on a gift card, ignoring the promotion.

That's actually what's gonna happen cause I asked about this before!

Twinrova

Neo Member
So with the recent announced additions to the Playstation Plus instant game collection the sad 120GB drive that came default with the slim isn't going to cut it anymore.
Anyone have a lead on hard drive deals, or maybe just some brands I should avoid? Appreciate it.

DaBoss

Best buy added a list of the exact locations for the Nintendo e3 demos for Canada.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/nintendo-e3-demo.aspx

Not a deal, but Canada related anyways. I'll be at the Edmonton location.

Thanks. I'm definitely going to the Bay Dundas location.

Forgot to add but they are also handing out Luigi Loot and they have Wii U offers/deals

What deals and stuff are they giving out specifically? Or it can't be revealed yet?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Forgot to add but they are also handing out Luigi Loot and they have Wii U offers/deals
That's the only reason I'm thinking about going to it. I really don't care about playing any demos (I never play them at home, I didn't even try AC3 at the launch party) so hopefully there's some good swag.

FrsDvl

Thanks. I'm definitely going to the Bay Dundas location.

What deals and stuff are they giving out specifically? Or it can't be revealed yet?

I don't know, but probably t-shirts as usual. And i don't know what deals they have, but my guess is they will involve pre orders for new games

zroid

Banned
they're going to be giving these out on the summer tour (apparently)

uuTH37u.png

really inconvenient for me to attend one of the tour stops, so I hope I can get one next week. D:

khaaan

amrod

Future Shop Gamer
That will appear on the site on June 9! We're as excited as you for the new Animal Crossing.

So $10 credit will be online too, but only after June 9th

iphys

Nice, Shoppers just sent me a personalized coupon for 20x the points for spending $30 or more on food and snacks. That's even better than a normal 20x where I have to find $50 of stuff to stock up on.

Anth0ny

I work until 7 on that Wednesday. I'll be able to reach the Downsview Best Buy and play for maybe 30 minutes if I'm lucky.

I'm guessing the same locations will be holding the Saturday event?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Nice, Shoppers just sent me a personalized coupon for 20x the points for spending $30 or more on food and snacks. That's even better than a normal 20x where I have to find $50 of stuff to stock up on.

A shame food at Shoppers is even more expensive than the 'high end' grocery stores. Hopefully there's a sale on something you can really use. Or just fill your fill with bags of milk. :p

iphys

In my experience, the food at Shoppers is typically on sale just as cheap or cheaper than Superstore and that's before you take the value of the 20x points into account. Some of their regular prices are high, but they always have a lot of stuff on sale, and the sale stuff is all I'm ever interested in anyway.

Interestingly, my friend got a slightly better offer: 8000 bonus points for spending $30 on food and snacks.

Neki

Not sure where to ask this, but how hard is it to apply for a credit card, and which is the best one? I finally got a part-time job again and have actual income for the rest of the summer.

isny

napkin dispenser
Thanks for the speedy answer, I'm already reading some articles on cashback credit cards right now.

I use the Smart Cash as my everyday card. Once Target opens here in Ottawa, my wallet will have an RBC Target MC for purchases at Target, MBNA SC MC for everyday spending, and my Amazon.ca VISA for purchases made in USD or while travelling outside of Canada.

Neki

I think I might apply for a Scene VISA card. Me and my girlfriend already go to Cineplex a lot, and my spending right now as a student isn't that high comparatively, and I'd rather avoid a monthly/annual fee on the credit card.

isny

napkin dispenser
I think I might apply for a Scene VISA card. Me and my girlfriend already go to Cineplex a lot, and my spending right now as a student isn't that high comparatively, and I'd rather avoid a monthly/annual fee on the credit card.

You'll get less than 1% back in scene points though. Honestly, you'd be better off getting a Smart Cash as a student as you'll get 2% back on groceries and 1% back on everything else. And that's cash. And the Smart Cash comes with extended warranty and 90 day purchase protection. (And you'll get $100 if you go through a referral link on RFD or Great Canadian Rebates and are approved)

You'll get less than 1% back in scene points though. Honestly, you'd be better off getting a Smart Cash as a student as you'll get 2% back on groceries and 1% back on everything else. And that's cash. And the Smart Cash comes with extended warranty and 90 day purchase protection. (And you'll get $100 if you go through a referral link on RFD or Great Canadian Rebates and are approved)

I agree. Pure cash > points/credit.

Quick

Banned
Gamestop sold me a mislabeled game. I've probably thrown out the receipt. Am I boned?

No harm in giving it a shot, but it really depends on who helps you out when you get back there. Best to find the receipt to be absolutely safe.

By mislabeled game, do you mean the game case doesn't match the actual game inside?

I was at an EB last week, and there was this kid who wanted to return an opened used game, after playing it halfway and "realizing" that he already played it. The employee asked his manager, and said he'll do the return one time for him. Thought that was kind of cool.

zroid

Banned
Some years ago, I bought a used PS2 copy of GTA San Andreas from EB.

Got home, opened it up -- lo and behold, there was an Xbox San Andreas disc in the box. Was annoyed and I took it back immediately. Told them what happened, assuming they gave me the wrong copy of the game; asked them to swap it with the PS2 disc.

Dude checks inventory... there was no other copy of San Andreas, for either Xbox or PS2. In other words, when they accepted the trade-in, they didn't even notice they were getting the wrong version of the game.

I had to return it.

Sajjaja

Some years ago, I bought a used PS2 copy of GTA San Andreas from EB.

Got home, opened it up -- lo and behold, there was an Xbox San Andreas disc in the box. Was annoyed and I took it back immediately. Told them what happened, assuming they gave me the wrong copy of the game; asked them to swap it with the PS2 disc.

Dude checks inventory... there was no other copy of San Andreas, for either Xbox or PS2. In other words, when they accepted the trade-in, they didn't even notice they were getting the wrong version of the game.

I had to return it.

I bought a used copy of dark souls from future shop and it had a copy of NHL 2k9 in it.

ohlawd

I've only bought a used game once in my life and it was Tales of Symphonia from EB.

It had Tales of Symphonia in it.

L Thammy

I thought $10 was a really really nice price for Wii Sports Resort, so I picked it up. Turns out that they forgot the Resort.
i.e., the original Wii Sports.

Target Canada June 7 - 13

Donkey Kong 3DS $34.99 with free $10 giftcard
Luigi's Mansion 3DS $39.99 with free $10 giftcard
3DSXL $199.99 with free $50 giftcard
Xbox 360 250gb (shows Elite picture) $299 with free $50 giftcard

The 3DS XL deal turned out to be a bust for me. I showed up, and all they had were piles of pink 3DS XLs. I don't mind the pink shell colour, but I don't like the white borders on it.

Quick

Banned
With EB, specifically, they have their used discs cataloged in clear plastic holders, so it's really tough to make a mistake with it.

Top Bottom