• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly dude, it's only $24.99 if you buy from BB. ($34.99 plus $10 in RZ points)

Just buy it.

Wait, you can use the RZ points immediately with the game purchase? I've never used BB RZ points before, I just got a membership recently.

Wait, you can use the RZ points immediately with the game purchase? I've never used BB RZ points before, I just got a membership recently.

No you can't use them at once, usually you wait for 30 days before getting the points and hence gift certificate.

Quick question: Do you get Shoppers Optimum points on anything you buy in the store (outside of stuff they state don't count, like lottery tickets, transit passes, etc.), OR do you only get Optimum points on products that have the Optimum logo next to their price tag?

I was at Shoppers tonight buying band-aids and noticed half of them had an Optimum logo on their price tag and the other half didn't.

iphys

The Optimum logo doesn't mean anything. Anything they haven't specified as excluded in their terms will give you points.

isny

napkin dispenser
Quick question: Do you get Shoppers Optimum points on anything you buy in the store (outside of stuff they state don't count, like lottery tickets, transit passes, etc.), OR do you only get Optimum points on products that have the Optimum logo next to their price tag?

I was at Shoppers tonight buying band-aids and noticed half of them had an Optimum logo on their price tag and the other half didn't.

Why is the Optimum program so confusing to ya'll? lol

Anybody planning on getting gaming hardware at SDM this weekend since they have bonus redemption?
Personally I'd hold off until E3 cause its very likely prices might change or new bundles get introduced!

Oh and I might go to Westhills BB, Calgary on Wednesday z 12th at 4pm for Nintendo event!

I went in last night to inquire about a ps3 apparently you have to have at least 25,000 to take advantage of the promotion. No special price on the PS3. Im waiting til next friday to see if there will be a pricedrop.

zeitgeist

Holding off on Bonus redemption for a bit. I've always expected to buy a Wii U with my Optimum points so I can wait until a bunch more stuff comes out for it.

i-Jest

Best buy added a list of the exact locations for the Nintendo e3 demos for Canada.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/nintendo-e3-demo.aspx

Not a deal, but Canada related anyways. I'll be at the Edmonton location.

Downtown Toronto will be busy indeed. I plan on attending. It'll be fun.

On another not, anyone catch the 3DS Kid Icarus deal? 169.99 plus game. That's more or less the normal price of the 3DS I believe. Sale ends June 13.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/-/b0001761.aspx?path=f37d6aed9d054a2e2dc37336ef3a369aen02

iphys

Lol, I just went to buy some strawberries at the grocery store and peaked in the window at the small Shoppers I rarely shop at, and I could see a red XL from the parking lot: it was doomed. Their sign said 30 days for returns/exchanges on electronics unlike some Shoppers, so I guess I'll wait till after E3 to open it, just in case Nintendo announces a new 3DS that cures cancer or something.

isny

napkin dispenser
Lol, I just went to buy some strawberries at the grocery store and peaked in the window at the small Shoppers I rarely shop at, and I could see a red XL from the parking lot: it was doomed. Their sign said 30 days for returns/exchanges on electronics unlike some Shoppers, so I guess I'll wait till after E3 to open it, just in case Nintendo announces a new 3DS that cures cancer or something.

Nice! Be sure to get Ages/Seasons while they're still on sale if you end up keeping it.

teeg

Question for any Future Shop regulars... When I bought Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D last month I got a coupon on my receipt for $10 off my next game purchase. I'm wanting to buy Animal Crossing but I want it from the eShop.

Does anyone know if the $10 receipt coupon will work when purchasing 2 $20 eShop cards?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I preordered a couple Metal Gear games and finally bought the Metal Gear Risk board game from BB. They have a promo that if you spend over $20 you get up to $10 free (1 item) Viva products. Ended up adding grabbing 3 free body washes. Not that great of a deal but it's free.

isny

napkin dispenser
Question for any Future Shop regulars... When I bought Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D last month I got a coupon on my receipt for $10 off my next game purchase. I'm wanting to buy Animal Crossing but I want it from the eShop.

Does anyone know if the $10 receipt coupon will work when purchasing 2 $20 eShop cards?

I would assume not, as the coupons are only good for $10 off of a game purchase, and eshop cards are game accessories, although you may get a rep willing to do it.

I bought a used copy of dark souls from future shop and it had a copy of NHL 2k9 in it.

I once bought a used copy of Star Wars Rebel Strike GC from EB. No case or manual so I got them to take off 10% plus I was looking really hard for that game.

Got home, popped in the disc, and found out it was the demo version. Had to return it.

Luckily I managed to find a used mint copy of the game some time later.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
The 3DS XL deal turned out to be a bust for me. I showed up, and all they had were piles of pink 3DS XLs. I don't mind the pink shell colour, but I don't like the white borders on it.

The Pink/White's borders are easier on your eyes for longer gaming sessions, and do not affect the 3D whatsoever. I had a red 3DS XL and it was utter crap, I returned it, got this one, and the difference was night and day. Don't knock on the pink one either, it even has a better screen build. The screen was brighter on mine, and had a pure white backlight. I also noticed the POV was better on the Pink/White 3DS XL.

Joeku

What up, CanadaGAF?

Brief preamble: this is my second post. I've been browsing this topic for a good long while but was unable to contribute because I didn't have an account. Or so I thought! I've actually had one since 2009 but forgot entirely about it. So now I can post, and as such, I want to thank you guys for the links to deals and such. The tsilon stuff has fueled my gaming for the last year. Not paying more than $40 for anything is a goddammed lifesaver. Thank you.

Now, this is weird to say, cause I used to work there, but I miss when Blockbuster did trade-ins (or even existed). Basically all of the time the trade-in value of things was far higher than EB, and as an employee, I can tell you that we were (or at least I was) given free reign to lower the price of used games at POS if the customer just asked for it. Because, yeah, it's basically profit for nothing, so if they make slightly less profit, why not?

Though they aren't around anymore up here in Canuckland, so that probably says something there.

Is anyone else afraid of ordering The Last of Us online? Futureshop is sketchy with getting things to me day of and it comes out on a Friday. I'm torn, cause I have that $20 off code...

Can someone clarify what's the deal with Animal Crossing 3DS? Can BB/FS's's $10 applied directly onto the game at point of purchase?

isny

napkin dispenser
Can someone clarify what's the deal with Animal Crossing 3DS? Can BB/FS's's $10 applied directly onto the game at point of purchase?

No.

FS will give you a $10 voucher you can use towards a game purchase in July. BB will give you 800 reward zone points, worth $10, which you can then use in store towards any future purchase of $10 or more before tax.

zroid

Banned
hopefully FS will have SMT4 available in-stores. I'll happily use my $10 coupon on that; not likely to be getting any other discounts. I was planning to get it from Amazon for that dumb trenchcoat, but I really don't care about the costume DLC.

iphys

Wow, E3 hasn't even happened yet, and I just realized I'm already planning to pre-order 11 games from the FS sale. I think I'm going to have to limit myself to 12.

Lexxism

hopefully FS will have SMT4 available in-stores. I'll happily use my $10 coupon on that; not likely to be getting any other discounts. I was planning to get it from Amazon for that dumb trenchcoat, but I really don't care about the costume DLC.

I remember yesterday, it was among the games listed for the E3 promo but they removed it last night. I'm still hoping they will include it together with pokemon and smash brothers.

Cheerilee

Now, this is weird to say, cause I used to work there, but I miss when Blockbuster did trade-ins (or even existed). Basically all of the time the trade-in value of things was far higher than EB, and as an employee, I can tell you that we were (or at least I was) given free reign to lower the price of used games at POS if the customer just asked for it. Because, yeah, it's basically profit for nothing, so if they make slightly less profit, why not?

Though they aren't around anymore up here in Canuckland, so that probably says something there.

Not really, Blockbuster Canada was profitable. Unfortunately, Blockbuster USA owned them.

Blockbuster USA went bankrupt, but they wanted to keep on going. In order to keep losing money as usual, they needed to buy more of the latest movies from Hollywood, but they didn't have any money or credit left to pay for them, so they told Hollywood "Blockbuster Canada has money. If we don't pay you back for these movies we're buying, just go get the money from them." (Blockbuster Canada was forced to agree to this.)

That one month worth of the latest releases somehow didn't turn Blockbuster USA's fortunes around (it's shocking, I know). So Blockbuster USA shrugged and said "Oh well, we tried. Go take your money from Blockbuster Canada." Which totally killed Blockbuster Canada.

Ondore

Wow, E3 hasn't even happened yet, and I just realized I'm already planning to pre-order 11 games from the FS sale. I think I'm going to have to limit myself to 12.

If I didn't have a 32GB SD card on my 3DS I'd probably do the same. I'm probably going to end up with a half-dozen as it is (PXZ, SMTIV, FFX/X-2, a Pokemon game... tossing up between Dream Team/Mario Party and getting Saints Row IV/Arkham Origins for my roommate).

Not really, Blockbuster Canada was profitable. Unfortunately, Blockbuster USA owned them.

Blockbuster USA went bankrupt, but they wanted to keep on going. In order to keep losing money as usual, they needed to buy more of the latest movies from Hollywood, but they didn't have any money or credit left to pay for them, so they told Hollywood "Blockbuster Canada has money. If we don't pay you back for these movies we're buying, just go get the money from them." (Blockbuster Canada was forced to agree to this.)

That one month worth of the latest releases somehow didn't turn Blockbuster USA's fortunes around (it's shocking, I know). So Blockbuster USA shrugged and said "Oh well, we tried. Go take your money from Blockbuster Canada." Which totally killed Blockbuster Canada.

This. I had a lot of friends who worked at Blockbuster. While they weren't making the money they use to, their store still turned a yearly profit. This is the same story she told me when shit suddenly went belly up.

Blockbuster dying out is inevitable everywhere but it would still be around in Canada if the US didn't fuck with them.

Socreges

Banned
No.

FS will give you a $10 voucher you can use towards a game purchase in July.
BB will give you 800 reward zone points, worth $10, which you can then use in store towards any future purchase of $10 or more before tax.
Oh... this is a lot less enticing then. I don't even know any games that I'd buy in July.

Firestorm

Damn I didn't even know SDM sold transit passes. Gonna get those there if I can get Optimum Points on it. Normally just grab it from London Drugs.
Is anyone else afraid of ordering The Last of Us online? Futureshop is sketchy with getting things to me day of and it comes out on a Friday. I'm torn, cause I have that $20 off code...
If it's not there in time, just go buy a copy in store and return the online copy with the store receipt.

Ondore

Damn I didn't even know SDM sold transit passes. Gonna get those there if I can get Optimum Points on it. Normally just grab it from London Drugs.If it's not there in time, just go buy a copy in store and return the online copy with the store receipt.

The T&Cs for Optimum say transit passes and tickets aren't allowed to get points.

zroid

Banned
FWIW, the $10 coupon is also valid on old games, so long as they cost $19.99+. It just needs to be purchased in July.

ohlawd

I've already decided I'm only getting SMTIV and Rune Factory 4 next month so I'm not using that $10 credit on anything new. If they do a random price drop on DMC HD Collection so it'll be $20, I'll use it on that.

Firestorm

The "So Many Games" promotion was Europe only right?
The T&Cs for Optimum say transit passes and tickets aren't allowed to get points.
Ah darn. There goes my cheapo PS4/WiiU/XBone :(

Also, unrelated but if any of you folks are in Alberta or BC and moving into a new place and need internet service, send me a PM. Working with Telus over the next little while and I can offer a pretty killer deal ($30 a month for TV + Internet or $45 a month for TV + Internet + Phone for 12 months). Same if you just feel like switching over from Shaw.

Noahd41

Neo Member
The "So Many Games" promotion was Europe only right?Ah darn. There goes my cheapo PS4/WiiU/XBone :(

Also, unrelated but if any of you folks are in Alberta or BC and moving into a new place and need internet service, send me a PM. Working with Telus over the next little while and I can offer a pretty killer deal ($30 a month for TV + Internet or $45 a month for TV + Internet + Phone for 12 months). Same if you just feel like switching over from Shaw.

hmm I'm moving back to Edmonton... 3 year contract?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad

It's better to get the $10 | 800 points from Best Buy, as you could select what you want to buy. :D

Shinobi 3DS is $10 at Wal-Mart.
I bought it when it went on sale for 14 at BB, many moons ago.

Lexxism

I finally got my copy of acnl through trade. I got $10 credit on my receipt and they also gave me a gift card. Is that normal or the clerk did a mistake?

ohlawd

I finally got my copy of acnl through trade. I got $10 credit on my receipt and they also gave me a gift card. Is that normal or the clerk did a mistake?

How much is in the gift card?

And to confirm, they take away the $10 before taxes cuz it says 24.99 on my receipt instead of 34.99 for AC. I picked up LM2 too, can't wait to not play this thing for a while :D

Lexxism

How much is in the gift card?

$21

And to confirm, they take away the $10 before taxes cuz it says 24.99 on my receipt instead of 34.99 for AC. I picked up LM2 too, can't wait to not play this thing for a while :D

Oh, it's before tax. Sweet. I have a follow-up question. The guy didn't give me any receipt for the acnl but just the receipt I traded. That's fine I guess?

Top Bottom