• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming "Deals" and Discussion Thread 6: Sorry, We Can't Afford a New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ys45

Getting a new wave of nostalgia.

svXip5w.jpg

I'll still buy games... I just won't buy as many.

LOL at Batman Forever.
Poor kid who decided to get this what a rip off .....

vulva

btw thanks for the reminder on the BST thread, grabbed rise of the tomb raider pc for 20 USD (about 29 CAD) instead of 70+tax CAD

I remember ordering The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse from a local video store as a kid, and it cost me $95.

I remember those days and prices, though. NHL 96 was a game I got a thousand hours into.

Jolkien

So disappointing that the new Amazon discount doesn't work for us. Like I said in the thread about this new deal, it probably won't change much but if any of you wants to tweet amazon here's what I sent:

@amazon @amazonhelp I'm a Prime Member in Canada, I get this email to promote 20% Off game pre-orders, yet the promo doesn't work in Canada?

Wow okay so apparently there was still stock on Amazon.ca and I just ordered the Pokemon n3DS there.

I don't really have experience with ordering consoles online but I mean I have a while to cancel if I change my mind for some reason. Anyone have any horror stories they'd like to warn me of?

JazzmanZ

I'd love to grab the Pokemon bundle if I didn't already buy the Majoras mask one last year >.> but then again, that was a better deal then what a 3DS is now :U

DJ_Lae

I'd love to grab the Pokemon bundle if I didn't already buy the Majoras mask one last year >.> but then again, that was a better deal then what a 3DS is now :U

I still haven't opened my Majora's Mask 3DS other than to look at it (as the box wasn't sealed).

I wonder if they still sell, as the thing is goddamn hideous.

Swhalen

I have the Hyper X and they've served me well for the price, paid 70$ on sale at NCIX, but they do get uncomfortable for me after extended use. However I wear em on only 1 ear while i make calls for work when I work from home and that like for 8 hours. If the price is right I'd get them if you can't afford something higher end.

I got the Sennheiser 598s which are amazing and i just ordered a new cable with an line mic to use.

Thanks man. That's a great idea.

FrsDvl

Someone that has gotten that Pokemon 3DS pre order in at 239, better post a screenshot for us that missed out and probably end up with 300$ pre orders!

Well disregard that, i just got a pre order in at 239 as well!

sjay1994

Wow okay so apparently there was still stock on Amazon.ca and I just ordered the Pokemon n3DS there.

I don't really have experience with ordering consoles online but I mean I have a while to cancel if I change my mind for some reason. Anyone have any horror stories they'd like to warn me of?

Nope.

Ordered my ps4 from Amazon for launch. It was a day late, but everything was intact

I'd like one, but don't need it at all. I've only used my N3DSXL a few times and have had it since launch or so.

It'll be great to replay Pokemon Blue and Red, though. If only they both came on the same cart. I have the most nostalgia for Red, but never beat Blue and would like to.

Bleh. On waiting for Sony support now. They haven't even sent my coffin yet.

I love that Microsoft offers to send you a replacement with your coffin.

zroid

Banned
I guess $240 is better than I expected. Seems like Nintendo is pricing it relative to the HHD bundle rather than the current exchange rate.

I'll get it if I find one at Shoppers, probably

sjay1994

I guess $240 is better than I expected. Seems like Nintendo is pricing it relative to the HHD bundle rather than the current exchange rate.

Well, it's just a white n3DS with 2 faceplates and games you'd buy for 5 bucks on the eshop

Would probably be 30 dollars greater if it was a custom 3DS

zroid

Banned
Well, it's just a white n3DS with 2 faceplates and games you'd buy for 5 bucks on the eshop

Would probably be 30 dollars greater if it was a custom 3DS

Right, that's what I meant regarding pricing relative to the HHD bundle. That was $270 and includes a full price retail game bundled in, so they made it cheaper than that. But at the current exchange rate the Pokémon bundle should've been like $280. :(

sjay1994

Right, that's what I meant regarding pricing relative to the HHD bundle. That was $270 and includes a full price retail game bundled in, so they made it cheaper than that. But at the current exchange rate the Pokémon bundle should've been like $280. :(

Oops.

My bad then.

UberTag

I'm actually quite happy with the HHD bundle now that I've owned it for a couple weeks. Now if this were a black system with new Pokemon plates, I'd be having buyer's remorse. But these new Charizard / Blastoise plates don't exactly look all that hot, IMO.

For those of you splurging, I do advocate that you make a note of which plates are glossy and which plates are matte when deciding on ones to import. The glossy ones might look nice (especially those Fire Emblem ones) but they'll scratch up something fierce just through casual use. Matte plates should be your default for everyday use.

This helpful little resource will tell you straight off whether a plate you're interested in splurging on is glossy or matte (or something else).

This Sony shit is going to eventually result in me making a thread or writing an article, I can just feel it.

They didn't send out my box yet for my malfunctioning PS4 despite being told it went out on Friday. At least this person seemed more helpful. Though the person I talked to on online chat earlier told me that they held it back due to the fact that I owe them money... WTF?

Ugh.

I have nowhere else to vent at the moment so it's going here.

Sorry you're dealing with such a hassle. I've had some frustrating experiences myself over the years.

I have done some digging and I think there is going to be more frustrating issues.

I bought their extended warranty within the first year of the console's life cycle. Apparently, hidden in the fine print of their terms and conditions it states that it doesn't apply if you don't buy the extended plan within 30 days of the console purchase date.

Of course that didn't stop them from taking my money for the protection plan in September of 2014.

In May of 2015 they changed this to reflect that you can purchase the extended plan within a year of a PS4 purchase.

Was checking reddit and saw this thread from someone else who had the same issue - https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2muc5i/ps4_customer_service_will_not_recognize_extended/

I remember reading through the store page at the time and I don't recall this being listed. They also don't offer any direct link to their terms and conditions. It's a really shady business practice to allow the sale of a warranty that won't apply to the console it's being purchased for.

They claim they are sending me a box now. We will see. I am almost nervous to send it into them just in case they start asking for money on the repair. I would honestly rather just keep it and work on fixing the disc drive issue myself as there are a few fixes available online.

I have had to deal with Sony support a few times this past year and it has never been a good experience. It's frustrating considering how much I like my Sony systems.

SickBoy

I had a PS3 controller die on me under warranty and called to see if Sony would replace it.

They had me send in my controller and weeks later I got a weird call.

It was a FedEx delivery guy. He was trying to deliver the replacement to my house but had the wrong address. In northern BC.

I'd lived there about 4 years prior and signed up to PlayStation Underground. I'd since moved three times. I have no idea why they sent it there -- I had changed my address on file with Sony online, I had told the phone support person my address, the package I sent had the right return address on it (and I believe a note inside with my address). So bizarre. FedEx fixed it, so all turned out OK.

But it's been a long time since it happened, and I still worry what will happen if Sony ever plans to send me something again.

When iPods were huge, I got a 20gb one for Christmas. To make sure she got the right one, my Mom let me go to the store and pick it out with her beforehand.

That was Future Shop

We bought it, and got talked into buying the extended warranty. They upsold it to us for about $80.

I had an issue with the iPod freezing and lagging, so I tried to exchange it. They then told me that Apple had asked for all defective ones to be sent to them and not replaced or repaired by Future Shop TWO DAYS before I got my warranty. We yelled at them and eventually got a new one.

krae_man

I have done some digging and I think there is going to be more frustrating issues.

I bought their extended warranty within the first year of the console's life cycle. Apparently, hidden in the fine print of their terms and conditions it states that it doesn't apply if you don't buy the extended plan within 30 days of the console purchase date.

Of course that didn't stop them from taking my money for the protection plan in September of 2014.

In May of 2015 they changed this to reflect that you can purchase the extended plan within a year of a PS4 purchase.

Was checking reddit and saw this thread from someone else who had the same issue - https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2muc5i/ps4_customer_service_will_not_recognize_extended/

I remember reading through the store page at the time and I don't recall this being listed. They also don't offer any direct link to their terms and conditions. It's a really shady business practice to allow the sale of a warranty that won't apply to the console it's being purchased for.

They claim they are sending me a box now. We will see. I am almost nervous to send it into them just in case they start asking for money on the repair. I would honestly rather just keep it and work on fixing the disc drive issue myself as there are a few fixes available online.

I have had to deal with Sony support a few times this past year and it has never been a good experience. It's frustrating considering how much I like my Sony systems.

I agree that you should be able to purchase the extended warranty at anytime inside the original manufacturers warranty. Outside of that, and everyone would just buy the warranty after their system breaks and that doesn't make it insurance anymore. However, How is Sony supposed to know when someone who purchases a warranty extension actually bought their system? So your "they shouldn't have let me buy it if I didn't qualify" part of your argument doesn't fly. That would be like someone buying the accidental damage warranty after their dropped their Vita and being mad they were denied the claim after accidentally admitting they broke it before purchasing the warranty.

Also their customer service as a whole is ASS. 99 times out of 100 I have to be a royal pain in the ass to fight through the rep's desire to end the call/chat as quickly as possible while doing as little as possible.

I agree that you should be able to purchase the extended warranty at anytime inside the original manufacturers warranty. Outside of that, and everyone would just buy the warranty after their system breaks and that doesn't make it insurance anymore. However, How is Sony supposed to know when someone who purchases a warranty extension actually bought their system? So your "they shouldn't have let me buy it if I didn't qualify" part of your argument doesn't fly. That would be like someone buying the accidental damage warranty after their dropped their Vita and being mad they were denied the claim after accidentally admitting they broke it before purchasing the warranty.

Also their customer service as a whole is ASS. 99 times out of 100 I have to be a royal pain in the ass to fight through the rep's desire to end the call/chat as quickly as possible while doing as little as possible.

I think the simple solution would be to have a date prompt come up when purchasing the warranty. I don't think that would be that hard to do. Require to the end user to enter the date of purchase before putting through the transaction. That would have saved me $45 as they then can warn you that the extended warranty would not apply to my purchase.

Seems like a simple enough fix.

Also, maybe require it to be purchased through the website and prompt for a serial number entry. I definitely think situations like this could be avoided.

UberTag

All of yall that preordered the fightsticks made out like bandits.
That deal keeps getting better and better as the dollar keeps dropping.
Our price for the TES Plus is now $114.82 US. They're paying $85 US more than that for it across the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom