• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

fooish101

If by "cable" you mean television service (Telus Optik TV isn't sourced from coaxial cable hardware) and you actually want to subscribe to a plan then yeah, you'll get a deal for bundling, not much though.

For speed and stability it really just depends on the area, and how well each company are managing the network (over subscribing, etc). Try one that fits your budget best with the features you want (not many options out there though) and if it doesn't work out, you can switch (try not to sign a contact for freebies!)

Telus's Internet plans have much better upload speeds with the 50 & 100 Mbps plans. You generally get 5-10Mbps more upload than advertised, here's my Speedtest result, the high-ish ping is because I'm on bonded 50Mbps, I believe not all areas require this to get 100Mbps. For those reasons, I will not be switching. I can't comment on their TV service, I haven't had it for over a decade, but I do remember really enjoying the Optiks channel guide a lot more than Shaws.

On Telus Internet in Victoria as well. The speed is excellent but they do charge for data overage, additionally they keep calling me non stop trying to up sell me on my internet/TV package.

Dazzler

I'm not even a Telus customer but they called at my door on Saturday to offer me Telus internet

Didn't know they were going door-to-door like that

I'm not even a Telus customer but they called at my door on Saturday to offer me Telus internet

Sometimes the phone/cable companies will use their customer data to point out places that could be fit for a subscriber (ie: somebody who lived their previously had a Telus account, or a high enough percentage of people in that neighborhood do, etc) at which point they will either come door to door (for suburbs) or apply to condo/apartment buildings to do a daily signup event.

I've seen Telus come to our building a few times, but pretty sure they stopped once the word was out on Fiber. Pretty hard to get subscriptions when you (a) aren't selling fiber and (b) have to compete with no-term cable subs

killroy87

Amazon is usually pretty good about matching competitor's sales, but they aren't budging on any of EB's prices. Really annoying, I'd much rather just order Borderlands online and have it come to me.

stn

Is this the best deal we've ever gotten for the N3DS XL? I'm thinking to pull the trigger tomorrow.

Palehorse

I never thought I'd be saying this but I'm really thankful to the US exchange rate (for just this one thing). LOL.

Managed to unload my n3ds XL (+ pokemon x + charger) on ebay for $220. I tried selling on kijiji and was willing to let it go for 160, and still people were coming with 100-120 "offers"

Shipping + ebay fees won't cost more than $40, so I'm gonna get 180+ for this thankfully.

Just a question to cover myself from getting scammed out or something else. I have made video documentation, with the ebay auction + winning bid/username as proof of date, with the serial number of the 3ds and showing that it's fully functional and the charger is working all in one continuous vid so I have covered myself that way. Going to go for insured & tracked shipping for sure, and the user is in good standing, 100% feedback, longtime ebay member (so there shouldn't be any issue there) and I've already received payment via paypal.

Is there anything else I need to do cover myself before shipping it out?

I don't sell on ebay often, have done a few times and didn't take nearly these precautions. Is there a reason you're going to these lengths? An uptick in fraud? People claiming stuff doesn't work?

I can't see needing anything beyond the video and tracking/insurance. As long as you've packed it well it should be fine.

I decided to return the DualShock 4 I'd purchased/PMed at Walmart, because it was dusty and that made me worry it may be an older model. I was going to go up near EB anyways, and I figured that they'd have fresher stock, so I bought one there instead.

Maddog

I decided to return the DualShock 4 I'd purchased/PMed at Walmart, because it was dusty and that made me worry it may be an older model. I was going to go up near EB anyways, and I figured that they'd have fresher stock, so I bought one there instead.

And another chapter in the ongoing saga of OCDChewie telling us about the controllers he's bought / returned comes to a close and a new one opens. I wonder how long he'll keep this one for....

farisr

I don't sell on ebay often, have done a few times and didn't take nearly these precautions. Is there a reason you're going to these lengths? An uptick in fraud? People claiming stuff doesn't work?
Just heard some bad accounts from sellers, and it's been a while since I've sold a physical item on ebay, since then ebay has implemented a lot of policies that favor buyers in most cases without even a second look (which is why I started selling regular games and what not in kijiji).

I just don't want a situation where the person receives the system and claims the system's not working or something, asking for a partial or full refund or something because the "item isn't as described" even though I know I sent a pretty much new system to them that worked perfectly fine.

Past

Great, I contacted Amazon on the status of my Valkyria Chronicles Remastered pre-order and they told me that they still haven't received stock for the game. This is like third time this has happened. What is going on with Amazon that they can't get games from publishers on time?!

Great, I contacted Amazon on the status of my Valkyria Chronicles Remastered pre-order and they told me that they still haven't received stock for the game. This is like third time this has happened. What is going on with Amazon that they can't get games from publishers on time?!

I had a June estimate so I canceled and ordered it elsewhere :-(

Too bad for the 20% off...

Just heard some bad accounts from sellers, and it's been a while since I've sold a physical item on ebay, since then ebay has implemented a lot of policies that favor buyers in most cases without even a second look (which is why I started selling regular games and what not in kijiji).

I just don't want a situation where the person receives the system and claims the system's not working or something, asking for a partial or full refund or something because the "item isn't as described" even though I know I sent a pretty much new system to them that worked perfectly fine.

That sounds like the steps I take when selling any physical items on eBay (don't sell digital, it's not covered by eBay/PayPal, the buyer claims CC fraud or whatever and you lose the code and money). Take a video of the system turning on and charging, and then you putting it in the shipping box. Always ship with tracking and insurance to PayPal-verified addresses, even if it does drive up the cost. And don't leave feedback until they do.

With all the fees, fraud, and shipping costs, I rarely sell on eBay anymore unless the margins are worth it.

farisr

With all the fees, fraud, and shipping costs, I rarely sell on eBay anymore unless the margins are worth it.
Yup. It was worth it to me for this because people on kijiji weren't offering more than 120 to me for this bundle. Whereas things are far more favorable on ebay if you're willing to ship to the US thanks to the US exchange rate.

All in all, after fees and shipping, I got $190 for it.

And I know selling digital is a really big risk, but I did however sell my alan wake code that came with quantum break over ebay, as nobody wanted it on kjiji and it was useless to me, so even if there was some fraud it wouldn't have been much of a loss. But everything went through smoothly, sent the digital code via ebay messaging, dude left good feedback after a couple a weeks and I left good feedback for him too afterwards). I actually ended up making a $2 profit from quantum break (paid $55 including taxes due to the e3 deal, sold the game for $50 on kijii, got $7 after fees and everything for the alan wake code on ebay)

DayEnder

It is not. I'd like one too!

I'd buy one if it was available. I'm even thinking of ordering the EU release.

Edit: I changed my mind and just ordered it...and Gravity Rush Remastered. Amazon.com has my back for this one. Even after exchange it's still cheaper than Amazon.ca.

I'd buy one if it was available. I'm even thinking of ordering the EU release.

Edit: I changed my mind and just ordered it...and Gravity Rush Remastered. Amazon.com has my back for this one. Even after exchange it's still cheaper than Amazon.ca.

Cheaper than Amazon UK? Read my mind was thinking of doing the same.

Grimsen

Do you keep going to the same stores? Do they recognize you yet?

sikkinixx

Were all the Valkyria Chronicle's the steelbook ones? Ordered from Bestbuy and was super annoyed there was no regular case within the steelcase. Now it looks out of place with the rest of my games.... (yes I know, first world issues)

Gxgear

Were all the Valkyria Chronicle's the steelbook ones? Ordered from Bestbuy and was super annoyed there was no regular case within the steelcase. Now it looks out of place with the rest of my games.... (yes I know, first world issues)

Oh man say it ain't so, I'm not a fan of steelbooks either.

The E3 Summer Sale Deals are really impressive. The prices for games like Fallout 4, The Witcher 3 and the like. Plus controllers, which rarely go on sale anymore.

You don't need anymore controllers

Seriously, stop buying more controllers. Do you realize you're just wasting your time?

I'm not buying any more.

Sometimes it's a waste, yeah. I usually go out for groceries or other things at the same time anyways. I had stuff to do today.

I don't do it all that often. Plus, I don't work due to my mental illness, so I have a lot of time on my hands.

Grimsen

I don't return as many as it seems. I usually go to customer service like once every couple of months or so. I went to a different store today, but only because it was on my way.

From your posts I feel like you've returned more controllers than I have ever owned!

It's all good, though. If the store take them back and you end up with a better controller/makes you feel better, why not?

vulva

I'm not buying any more.

Sometimes it's a waste, yeah. I usually go out for groceries or other things at the same time anyways. I had stuff to do today.

I don't do it all that often. Plus, I don't work due to my mental illness, so I have a lot of time on my hands.
Don't buy more controllers

Doom 3 is not Doom, its a slower paced horror game. If your buying it for the other Doom games it comes with then by all means, but I wouldn't get it just for Doom 3.

Well that is my intention because I know it comes with all three. I think its also XB1 BC which is also good. So might as well pick it up.

Xenoflare

Geez these giant unskippable mobile ads.

This was the final straw for me since I used Chrome instead of Safari on iOS because I came from long years of using android

I kept Chrome for the easy access of the "close all tab" button and now I would rather have a clean interface since safari supports ad blockers officially

Not trying to give you a hard time, but haven't you returned around 5 controllers within the last month? I would consider that to be a lot.

Over the last 6 weeks, maybe 4? It's been worse as of late, because buying controllers became a coping mechanism for dealing with my Mom's illness/death.

I've done that in BC, It's a pretty shit job because people hate telus so it's doorslams like 40% of the time. Worse when you consider the fairly strict quotas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom