• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canned games that were barely ever shown. Which would you have loved to have seen?

Nairume

Banned
That was for PC, not for GameCube.
They actually did have it running on the GC, but only in so far as it was a quick port to show that their engine could work on consoles when they tried showcasing it at E3. Buuuuut you are correct in that only the PC version would have actually been released to the public if the project had been finished.

It still wouldn't have been an actual game though :p

krizzx

Red Steel 3

All I remember is that the devs said it would use the vitality sensor. Back when that was still a thing.

Halo DS

mattbloghalods_1191348742.jpg

Wow! I totally forgot about this! I remember being so excited then never hearing about it again! Would have been so cool :(

baphomet

Psy-Phi

Another Yu Suzuki game that SEGA canned for no apparent reason. You fought using a touchscreen.

Apparently they had reached the beta testing in Arcade phase, then SEGA shut it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM0vxyZz9Xc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XwhtBs5GGE

You know, looking at it, this would make great Wii U game. The Gamepad and hardware capability would be perfect for it.

Cancelled because people were injuring themselves using the touch screen really intensely.

sith ewok

City of Metronome for 360/PS3. I was really excited for that one back in the day.

(And SW 1313, but it has been mentioned a lot...)

krizzx

Zelda DD64 - Nintendo DD64

Has Nintendo ordered all footage of that game taken down? I cannot find the old beta videos or for anywhere, not even on Youtube, and I remember watching them on there before.

Its like all reference to it was erased from existence or something.

These two pictures are all that I could find.

EDIT: Managed to find one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUf8hTCrHzY

Only got mentioned in passing on a couple podcasts I listen to but there was reference made to a Streets of Rage sequel that was in development using the Condemned engine for first person melee. Would've been neat to see.

I see that Mega Man Legends 3 has already been mentioned by several people, so I'll throw a vote in for that while also highlighting this other lost Mega Man game that very few people seem to remember: Mega Man Mania, later simply called the GBA version of Mega Man Anniversary Collection before it was finally canned.

250px-MegaManMania.jpg

mmmania01.jpg

mmmania02.jpg

It was supposed to be a colorized, enhanced compilation of the five Game Boy Mega Man titles for the GBA, and as anyone who has played those games knows, this would have been fucking awesome (well, aside from Mega Man II).

The story goes that Capcom ran into trouble finding the source code for some of the content in the compilation, which is why the game was held up and eventually canceled. If only we could have known what Mega Man's future would be like in terms of cancellations... these days, it seems like a cruel joke about history repeating itself. :(

I have vivid memories of being very, very excited about Mega Man Mania. I still regret that it never came out to this day...

Chocobo de Battle

Chocobodebattle.jpg

Chocobo de Battle was a Chocobo fighting game in development by Square USA and to be published by Square Co., Ltd.. It was announced in Famitsu in 1997 and was meant to be Square's first arcade game and would have featured 3D graphics with the capacity to display a whopping 80,000,000 real-time polygons per second. A port for the PlayStation was also being considered.

The game had a behind-the-character view rather than a profile view. The screen was split when playing in versus mode against another player. There was no joystick or buttons - the characters were motion-controlled, with the player moving his hands in front of a blue-screened motion-sensitive area of the arcade machine to move his character and execute combos.

The game's roster consisted in various fighters battling each other while riding chocobos. Three characters had been revealed: a red demon wearing a horned skull covering his head and riding a black chocobo; a girl wearing a helmet, a crop top and shorts with "Hana" inscribed on it and riding a robot chocobo; and a human-like gorilla smoking a cigarette, wearing sunglasses, a leather jacket and blue jeans and riding another robot chocobo. In addition to typical close combat moves, the characters could also shoot missiles at each other from a distance. However the game was canceled.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Chocobo_de_Battle

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq-W8DWodO0

Sakaguchi had already made a base scenario for FF7. It originally used New York because he wanted it to take place in a huge city, which became Midgar and he had also written the bombing scenario. That was the first thing conceived for FF7

The writers of Xenogears submitted a story hoping it would be used for FF7, but the people in charge though it was too dark and they didn't go with it. In no way was it the original intended story.
Ever seen that SNES FFVII beta screenshot?

oWeETq5.jpg

Awfully closer to Xenogears than FFVII. I could believe it evolved to the initial Xenogears village.

Sakaguchi wanted a lot of things, some of his FFVII plans were later used on FFVIII even, but that doesn't mean there wasn't an undefined phase, I'm sure there was - it clearly was. Xenogears didn't necessarily start off as FFVII, but it started of as a proposal for it and from what has been said throughout the years it had a purpose, which was testing another path for FFVII, 2D characters and 3D scenario. I'm sure as you've said scenario had been rejected as too dark from the get go, but the approach had a purpose tied to FFVII. If, the FFVII development had gone wrong I'm sure that path was meant for them to fallback.

From then on they went their separate ways though.

lazygecko

Fortress - that FFXII sequel/spinoff that Square-Enix entrusted to GRIN. Quite why they elected to hand it to a studio whose track record hasn't exactly been stunning to say the least we might never know, but we do know that they weren't too happy with how the project was coming along and canned it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1lQeYjceLc

fortress_-_ashedec28.jpg

fortress_-_ffxii_judg85e5e.jpg

fortress-final-fantasjviy2.jpg

A shame, really. There was the real potential of a sort of open-world Dark Souls-like game with an Ivalice setting and this could have been - in the right hands - a much more enticing Final Fantasy game than any other Final Fantasy game released last gen.

Wasn't really canned in the traditional sense. Square-Enix approached GRIN while they were developing Bionic Commando for Capcom, they liked what they saw and wanted them to do something similar for them. Meanwhile GRIN were entering full on AAA mode and started opening additional studios. But after the very poor sales of Bionic Commando, they could not afford the upkeep. They closed their other studios, put their eggs in one basket and counted on the Final Fantasy project to save their company.

SE wasn't feeling very confident in them after the performance of Bionic Commando, but still, they had a contract to fulfill with them. But they started to repeatedly act very dismissive towards whatever GRIN demonstrated towards them. As an experiment, GRIN eventually sent over concept art straight from Final Fantasy XII and they were told "it doesn't look Final Fantasy enough". So they kept on doing this and refusing milestone payments until GRIN could no longer afford to operate, effectively weaseling out of the contract by waiting for the company to die off.

Zelda DD64 - Nintendo DD64

Has Nintendo ordered all footage of that game taken down? I cannot find the old beta videos or for anywhere, not even on Youtube, and I remember watching them on there before.

Its like all reference to it was erased from existence or something.

These two pictures are all that I could find.

EDIT: Managed to find one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUf8hTCrHzY
In a lot of senses that's not "Zelda DD64" (where did you get that name even?)

Zelda 64 was a project for the upcoming 64DD for the longest time, but it was never called Zelda DD64 our Zelda 64 DD. There was even a beta logo used on official Nintendo stuff by the time Yoshi Story came out and it had only Zelda 64 inscribed.

Anyway, Zelda 64 materialised as the Zelda OoT we know on the 64DD but the accessory was late so they decided to scrap it. that's all there is, there's no such notion of the Zelda being developed for the 64 DD being any different. Said accessory was late even for them mind you, so they were pretty much using a higher capacity dev cartridge (read: a towering cartridge) all this time thinking no such high capacity cartridge would exist in the end, but it did as Zelda 64 used up the first 32 MB Cart.

64DD had extra 4 MB of RAM and a time clock that they were reportedly not really using, but planned on using such features for Ura Zelda.

What you're quoting are different phases of early development.

First one you've shown is the 3D hyrule town phase, it was pretty much just a test level, ground had a "path" in the middle and you had a navigation helper. It has been revealed years afterwards that said navigation helper would later morph into Navi. This was pretty much a test regarding exploring cities in 3D.

The second image was before that. It was the original test for a dungeon, for which they just recreated the first dungeon in Zelda NES, it was never meant to be a remake which is why instead of a boss and collecting whatever you just collect the triforce right at the end of it. And with that, the purpose of such test demo ended.

These two phases used a direct fork of the Mario 64 engine too. If I recall correctly you had three phases, A, B and C. (with A mixed with B, and B mixed with C variants)

If there ever was a Zelda that was genuinely for the 64DD that was Ura Zelda.

Axass

Cosmic Walker - there was about 5 seconds of this shown, and yet 6 years later I'm still intrigued

I still don't know what the hell it was supposed to be to this day. They just showed a bunch of seconds of footage and never talked about it ever again iirc.

It's not a SNES FFVII beta screenshot.
It's a concept image of a 2D FF made during FF7 development.
Of course a 2D FF was more in line for the SNES project.
Why would they do a 2D FFVI-graphic-style mockup while developing the PSone version?

I understood that mockup was shelved due to Chrono Trigger, in late 1994 or so. Which was the first time they tried to do FFVII. I believe that screenshot is from that era.

Celine

Why would they do a 2D FFVI-graphic-style mockup while developing the PSone version?

I understood that mockup was shelved due to Chrono Trigger, in late 1994 or so. Which was the first time they tried to do FFVII. I believe that screenshot is from that era.
They did the switch (from SNES to PS1) sometime in (late) 1995.
My guess is they used FFVI art while experimenting (see FF SGI) before enter full production when they decided PS1 was the new system that would host the game.

That was a concept image from (my guess) 1995.
That's not a beta screenshot from the SNES version as you said.

Hm, that is credible and sure, I've only recently heard of it so I reckon it was a concept image or a test of some sort rather than a beta, certainly pre-alpha technically, even if it moved.

I still feel at that point Xenogears and FFVII might not have splitted, that concept doesn't scream New York to me, that's for sure.

Parsnip

That Grin developed Final Fantasy/Ivalice game, Fortress.
Would have been nice to see a modern Western take on that world.

grin-fortress.gif

edit: b10
Still though.

krizzx

Ever seen that SNES FFVII beta screenshot?

oWeETq5.jpg

Awfully closer to Xenogears than FFVII. I could believe it evolved to the initial Xenogears village.

Sakaguchi wanted a lot of things, some of his FFVII plans were later used on FFVIII even, but that doesn't mean there wasn't an undefined phase, I'm sure there was - it clearly was. Xenogears didn't necessarily start off as FFVII, but it started of as a proposal for it and from what has been said throughout the years it had a purpose, which was testing another path for FFVII, 2D characters and 3D scenario. I'm sure as you've said scenario had been rejected as too dark from the get go, but the approach had a purpose tied to FFVII. If, the FFVII development had gone wrong I'm sure that path was meant for them to fallback.

From then on they went their separate ways though.

The makers of Xenogears/Xenosaga/Xenoblade stated that they just submitted it as a script for FF7, and that it was rejected. Go tell them they are wrong.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/11/soraya-saga-on-xenogears-and-xenosaga/
I and Tetsuya Takahashi originally submitted it as a script idea for Final Fantasy VII. While we were told that it was too dark and complicated for a fantasy, the boss was kind enough to give Takahashi a chance to launch a new project.

It was never intended by Square's upper management for it to be used for FF7. It was a personal project by the creators of the Xeno series.

They did the switch (from SNES to PS1) sometime in (late) 1995.
My guess is they used FFVI art while experimenting (see FF SGI) before enter full production when they decided PS1 was the new system that would host the game.

That is not true. Final Fantasy 7 was intended for the N64. Sakaguchi said this himself in an interview about the making of FF7. They switched because he wanted a CG heavy game after being amazed by CG at this event he went to, and since Nintendo went with cartridges for the N64, which held around 24MB of data at that time, and PS went with CD, which held around
350-700 MB of data, that made the Playstation the only viable choice. The change was driven by the storage medium.

There is no need to guess. It was stated directly by the creator.

OnPoint

Wasn't really canned in the traditional sense. Square-Enix approached GRIN while they were developing Bionic Commando for Capcom, they liked what they saw and wanted them to do something similar for them. Meanwhile GRIN were entering full on AAA mode and started opening additional studios. But after the very poor sales of Bionic Commando, they could not afford the upkeep. They closed their other studios, put their eggs in one basket and counted on the Final Fantasy project to save their company.

SE wasn't feeling very confident in them after the performance of Bionic Commando, but still, they had a contract to fulfill with them. But they started to repeatedly act very dismissive towards whatever GRIN demonstrated towards them. As an experiment, GRIN eventually sent over concept art straight from Final Fantasy XII and they were told "it doesn't look Final Fantasy enough". So they kept on doing this and refusing milestone payments until GRIN could no longer afford to operate, effectively weaseling out of the contract by waiting for the company to die off.
Fucking what.

^ I feel we're starting to discuss semantics here.

I'm willing to concede whatever, I do believe after all these years and lines are blurred and anyone's guess is perfectly fine, early 3D development was convoluted and things changed very quickly so even if you interviewed everybody you'd have conflicting statements. I also have no problem in being corrected.

But my point was that Final Fantasy VII took several false starts, which it did, and went through a relatively lengthy phase before development launching all out, remember these scripts and initial ideas could have happened before Chrono Trigger launched, at some point that initial Final Fantasy was shelved due to it.

Afterwards it was obvious it wouldn't be on the SNES, but PSone didn't happen immediatelly, Square was still on track with the N64 until shortly before Super Mario RPG launched. That's end of 1995 to early 1996.

There's no doubt in my mind that the branching that happened was in line with the original lines of experimenting square had in mind, otherwise they could have just forewent with the same production approach for all their games. If I reckon correctly some old articles suggested they tried the "3D backgrounds + 2D characters" with early FF7, and I reckon I've even seen FF7 beta screenshots featuring pre-rendered sprites:

sp_prison1.jpg

It's only normal that either something scrapped from FFVII was of value for something else.

There was a lot of early testing, and it was only normal that Xenogears either ran with a scrapped idea, like Parasite Eve and Final Fantasy VIII did, or it was a fallback effort. Not to turn it into FFVII (unless massive retooling took place) but perhaps as a engine/structure one. That was never needed because for all we know FFVII launched way sooner than it did and thus must not have hit major roadblocks. But I digress I'm not sure that was even my initial point.

krizzx

^ I feel we're starting to discuss semantics here.

I'm willing to concede whatever, I do believe after all these years lines are blurred and anyone's guess is perfectly fine and I have no problem in being corrected.

But my point was that Final Fantasy VII took several false starts, which it did, and went through a relatively lengthy phase before development launching all out, remember these scripts and initial ideas could have happened before Chrono Trigger launched, at some point that initial Final Fantasy was shelved due to it.

Afterwards it was obvious it wouldn't be on the SNES, but PSone didn't happen immediatelly, Square was still on track with the N64 until shortly before Super Mario RPG launched. That's 1996.

There's no doubt in my mind that the branching that happened was in line with the original lines of experimenting square had in mind, otherwise they could have just went with the same look for all their games. If I reckon correctly some old articles suggested they tried the "3D backgrounds + 2D characters" with early FF7, and I reckon I've even seen FF7 beta screenshots featuring pre-rendered sprites:

sp_prison1.jpg

There was a lot of testing, and it was only normal that Xenogears either ran with a scrapped idea, like Parasite Eve and Final Fantasy VIII did, or it was a fallback effort. Not to turn it into FFVII (unless massive retooling took place) but perhaps as a engine/structure one. That was never needed because for all we know FFVII launched way sooner than it did and thus must not have hit major roadblocks.

I agree with this.

The only thing I disputed was the statement that it was intended to be Xenogears which wasn't the case. That was a 1 side desire by the creators of Xenogears.

Also, the bombing mission which was written by Sakaguchi was always intended to be the started point from what i remember. The rest of the game had various writers working on it but he came up with the idea that it would start in a city like New York and the bombing mission. That was the first concrete scenario laid down for FF7. I'm sure there was plenty story boarding before that, that was the initial point.

He also came up with the starting scenario for FF9 which also used a bomb. He had posted he notes for it on the Mistwalker website years back. He seemed to have this thing with starting games with bombs back then.

Seems the script is no longer there. Since they revamped the site earlier this year, all of the old stuff from Blue Dragon up to the Last Story is gone.

Celine

That is not true. Final Fantasy 7 was intended for the N64. Sakaguchi said this himself in an interview about the making of FF7. They switched because he wanted a CG heavy game after being amazed by CG at this event he went to, and since Nintendo went with cartridges for the N64, which held around 24MB of data at that time, and Sony went with CD, which held around
350-700 MB of data, that made the Playstation the only viable choice. The change was driven by the storage medium.

There is no need to guess. It was stated directly by the creator.
What I meant was that Ultra 64 / 64DD was so briefly considered (they didn't even get dev kits) that all the work was done first for SNES and then for PS1 when they decided they needed CDrom media.

Level said:
Kitase on FFVII’s initial development: “Our first plans were interrupted, since we had to help out with Chrono Trigger, which had turned into a huge project. But as soon as we had done what we could with that game, we started over from the beginning with FFVII. And back then we were fully focused on the disk system that was gonna be released for the Nintendo 64 (the 64DD). We never actually received a working prototype, but we did everything according to the planned specifications.”

Nomura on experimenting with the N64 analog stick: “We had an idea about how you would be able to look around in the dungeons with the help of it, but we never really got further than that.”

Kitase: “We actually began work from the ground up on three separate occasions. First directly after FFVI, then again after Chrono Trigger, and finally when we decided that CD-ROM technology was going to be a necessity and that it would therefore be released on the PlayStation.”

Nomura: “But some of the ideas we had been discussing from the beginning are actually still intact in the finished game. And other ones, like Edea, ended up in FFVIII.”

Nick Rox was the king of hyperbole at GameFan magazine. I had a subscription to that magazine for many years and you could always count on that guy to lose his shit over everything Square related. This is also the same magazine that started the Final Fantasy VII for N64 rumor, which was also just a demo running on an SGI Onyx workstation that they showcased at Siggraph 1995.

Chocobo de Battle is their Siggraph '97 showcase demo, and apparently it was running on an SGI Onyx 2 workstation. They didn't actually showcase this running on real arcade hardware, at least nothing that was shown publicly. But this one was a proposed arcade game at some point in development.

Thanks for the info. I was unaware that the Duke Nukem Forever we have now was still using Unreal engine 1. That explain a lot.

Yup, they never switched to the Unreal 2 branch of the engine, they have been using EU1 the whole time but were receiving updates from Epic Games still. Their UE1 engine did go through a lot of their own customizations though, so it was heavily modified as well. But in the final project, you can really see its age shine through. Even with all those updates and customizations that engine had some archaic aspects to it.

MC Safety

What did you think of BC and True Fantasy? Did they seem like they would have ended up being the "killer apps" Microsoft was playing them up to be?

And how did you get to see them in action?

Oh, I worked for Xbox Nation magazine a long (long) time ago.

I got to see Fable and BC on the same trip. I was really intrigued by BC; the developers had a hunting sequence that featured men swarming over an Allosaurus and finally pulling it down with spears and nets. BC seemed as if it would be a terrific experience, but I wasn't sure if there was a "game" there just yet. The plot was explained as an exodus from a hostile land to a paradise, but there was no mention of a mechanism in place to move the player's tribe from A to B.

The Xbox Nation staff was given a special presentation for True Fantasy Live Online at E3 one year. I really liked the cel shading, but the RPG elements weren't particularly revelatory. There was some neat bits where your character could perform and specialize in certain tasks, but beyond that I wasn't blown away. I think our editor got to play the game for an extended time; we put the game on our cover. Microsoft may have shown more to our editor so he could flesh out his story, but I only sat in our E3 viewing.

We wrote a lengthy feature/cover story on True Fantasy. And my preview for BC, I would hope, properly conveyed my sense of wonder at what I saw.

Ferr986

There was also a NiGHTS 2 in development for 360 before the Wii one but it got canned by Sega.

Also 32X Ecco has been already said but not the Ecco sequel on Dreamcast

That is not true. Final Fantasy 7 was intended for the N64. Sakaguchi said this himself in an interview about the making of FF7. They switched because he wanted a CG heavy game after being amazed by CG at this event he went to, and since Nintendo went with cartridges for the N64, which held around 24MB of data at that time, and PS went with CD, which held around 350-700 MB of data, that made the Playstation the only viable choice. The change was driven by the storage medium.
24 MB were regarded as massive for someone coming from the SNES, albeit at launch only 16 MB carts were available, I know Nintendo was already promising the 64DD add-on back in 1995 due to the competition having CD's, but even that would top out at 48 to 64 MB.

I recall hearing that if you strip FMV's out of FFVII and consolidate repeated data across all discs you'll end up with a game well under 100 MB though, so apart from the FMV's it should be possible. Of course most of the CG cutscenes would have to be rethought but had they been ingame they would take nearly as much. Still too much for under 32 MB though, I believe it would just have been a way too different game and good thing for them that they bailed, Nintendo was too conceived back then and had kept Square away from higher density cartridges before (story says they requested it for Romancing Saga 3 and were denied despite Enix doing the same and having clearance for a Dragon Quest game no less) - Nintendo having a 32 MB or higher cartridge and keeping it from them as unreasonable advantage could have happened.
What I meant was that Ultra 64 / 64DD was so briefly considered (they didn't even get dev kits) that all the work was done first for SNES and then for PS1 when they decided they needed CDrom media.
Only reason they didn't get them was because no one was getting them.

Third parties were very frustrated with Nintendo back in 1995 because the "limbo"of waiting for dev kits wasn't brief at all. And the "running on planned specifications" was just that, Nintendo had inflated their numbers a lot and at some point that just became very clear (probably the moment they got dev kits and their "on-spec" work wouldn't run properly.

Not having dev kits or a date to get them is another factor that certainly influenced switching platforms.

jluedtke

Picassio. It was supposed to be an art-thief game for Dreamcast, then GameCube and PS2.

Check it out.

Beyond that, someone already mentioned Bonk RPG and the Bonk game that was supposed to come out a few years ago. (Eff you, Konami!)

Do we know beyond a shadow of a doubt this is true? Like, is there evidence? This reads more like an anti-Square fanboy's fantasy scenario than anything based in reality. I'm not saying it isn't, but this is severe enough that it really needs evidence.

Do we know beyond a shadow of a doubt this is true? Like, is there evidence? This reads more like an anti-Square fanboy's fantasy scenario than anything based in reality. I'm not saying it isn't, but this is severe enough that it really needs evidence.
It is conjecture, of course, S-E will never clarify their original intentions, good or bad.

It is likely how the GRIN dudes working on it felt though, after all they ran out of money trying to reach out for a door that should be open. Square-Enid could have reached back before they went under, but didn't.

S-E probably didn't see merit on it, but then again they shouldn't see merit in a lot of shit they do these days.

lazygecko

It was all over the news here a while ago. Of course, the only source is from the GRIN founders and the Swedish press do love a "poor swedes crushed by giant Japanese corporation" narrative. Here is a Kotaku article which is derived from a loose translation of the original interview in Swedish:

http://kotaku.com/5806511/bankrupte...code-by-fax-didnt-recognize-ffxii-screenshots

I don't really have any strong feelings for either GRIN or SE one way or the other or any interest in their games, but I can believe what happened in the story. That's just the business world for ya. Pretty sure similar things have happened with other companies in the western game industry dealing with Japan (although not so dramatic as to bankrupt them over it).

krizzx

Rockman Online

Not to be confused with Rockman Universe which was also cancelled. This was suppose to be an MMO that features X, Zero and Duo(from the original Megaman) in a far off future after the original Megaman and Megman X have died, and the Mavericks were thought be wiped out. Got cancelled for no apparent reason other than changes at the company that was co developing it. It was apparently complete.

ruliweb_rockman_01_onhd.jpg

Why does Capcom hate Megaman so much? :(

With all of these cancelled nearly complete games, Capcom's financial problems are not a surprise to me.

Super Mario 64 2. There wasn't much footage outside of one or two screenshots I once saw in a magazine, but it existed at some point.
Just let me see what they made. Miyamoto always mentioned a TV on his desk with Luigi running around. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Also, Ura-Zelda. Don't say "Master Quest."

On a slightly related note, what was with the hate for Frame City Killer?

krizzx

Top Bottom