• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canned games that were barely ever shown. Which would you have loved to have seen?

Does this count? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9S-kUj5vcc
I mean it's obviously Ocarina of Time, but I think this is before they made some serious changes to the storyline. I think it also a tad better due to framerate which looks like it's actually a solid 30 FPS
I don't think it counts.

Zelda OoT suffered changes in the plot until very late, child link was a late addition and it shows, it's some of the better modeling on the game, against adult link who is an updated model of the original model they were using

But that was from the so called "A and B" phase and the biggest technology difference was that the engine was essentially vanilla Mario 64 being modified on the fly.

Framerate is clearly better but be warned that might not be due to it running better on the hardware, these games were developed on workstations that weren't N64's so it could very well be running on a SGI Onyx.

ABR_DC_differentmainroom.jpg

ABR_DM_goodview.jpg

Notice the slighly better geometry on link, no guarantee that the N64 could cope with that.

That said I'd like for rom hackers to get their mints on the iQue Zelda 64 release and hack it onto N64's because I've read the framerate issues are all gone, and the thing is still a N64.

-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA3IwcN_1kk

1. It's v1.2
(...)
3. There is no gameplay lag
4. There is no pause delay since it's not being emulated, but the un-pause delay is longer than N64's.
5. The text is much faster than even the Japanese version.

Could produce a really rad N64 ROM, providing the ones on the GC versions are not this. (I dunno)

Parsnip

Fear Effect: Inferno(3) - PS2?

Another one of those games that just vanished into thin air. I had completely forgotten about this one until it just popped into my mind after looking for some good Dreamcast games I haven't played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTHKXjePz-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5uWIbI08o4

The game was clearly pretty far along. I wonder why it was canned.

And wow at this cutscene...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TzYuEZ-oaM
Yup. Always bummed that it got canned.
New Fear Effect game would look stupendous with modern tech.

It's kind of surprising that a build of it hasn't surfaced at all, considering how far it seems like it was.

The game was clearly pretty far along. I wonder why it was canned.
Eidos pulled out due to their own financial problems and restructuring; they couldn't secure other publisher to fund it and thus studio disbanded.

... and I'm not so sure it was all *that* far along in regards to actual level design et all.

Jac_Solar

I know they had a trailer for this game but BC for the Xbox. I was so pumped for this game. They canceled it with the game 50% done.

Is that the game about cavemen, or something like that? In any case, I remember reading about a type of "caveman" game, or a game where you start as a caveman in an English gaming magazine. I can't remember any details besides that aspect, but I do remember that it sounded ridiculously ambitious -- ambitious to the point where it didn't really sound possible I think.

Is that the game about cavemen, or something like that? In any case, I remember reading about a type of "caveman" game, or a game where you start as a caveman in an English gaming magazine. I can't remember any details besides that aspect, but I do remember that it sounded ridiculously ambitious -- ambitious to the point where it didn't really sound possible I think.
Most likely Sabre Wulf?
From the dude that did... KNACK.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, I'm sure it would be better than some later Crash titles, but... Cerny is a very nice tech dude, not a very nice game designer (not in an unpleasant way, mind you).

batbeg

Most likely Sabre Wulf?From the dude that did... KNACK.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, I'm sure it would be better than some later Crash titles, but... Cerny is a very nice tech dude, not a very nice game designer (not in an unpleasant way, mind you).

Because Knack is the only other game Cerny has design experience with, right?

Would love to see how great The Grinder would look and play on Wii U. Hope fades exponentially that this game will ever see the light of day with every passing year.

the-grinder.jpg

bomma_man

I don't think it counts.

Zelda OoT suffered changes in the plot until very late, child link was a late addition and it shows, it's some of the better modeling on the game, against adult link who is an updated model of the original model they were using

But that was from the so called "A and B" phase and the biggest technology difference was that the engine was essentially vanilla Mario 64 being modified on the fly.

Framerate is clearly better but be warned that might not be due to it running better on the hardware, these games were developed on workstations that weren't N64's so it could very well be running on a SGI Onyx.

ABR_DC_differentmainroom.jpg

ABR_DM_goodview.jpg

Notice the slighly better geometry on link, no guarantee that the N64 could cope with that.

That said I'd like for rom hackers to get their mints on the iQue Zelda 64 release and hack it onto N64's because I've read the framerate issues are all gone, and the thing is still a N64.

-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA3IwcN_1kk

Could produce a really rad N64 ROM, providing the ones on the GC versions are not this. (I dunno)

Wish we got that OG castle town

Because Knack is the only other game Cerny has design experience with, right?
As a director? It actually is.

Let's not derail this thread.

I think he's a great hardware engineer and programmer. I don't think he's "the shit" in regards to game design capabilities. Perhaps also too much of a nice guy for his own good. Regardless I don't think he has a midas touch when it comes to designing software (if he's the one executing, yeah, perhaps he did in the days of old)

I'm also not a Crash Bandicoot fan, mind you, I always liked the "technical achievement" it was back then but I felt like the gameplay was pretty crappy, and that was an implementation issue of the engine, the way it was structured looked pretty but allowed you to do... erm... that brand of corridor gameplay.

I liked Crash 3. And the other crash game I really liked was the "kart" one, he didn't work on that one.

I don't know if this was mentioned previously, but Dissidia : Final Fantasy was originally planned to be a Kingdom Hearts game. I would love to see anything of that concept in motion, even if most of the characters would've been wearing the same black coat :p

Borman

Fear Effect: Inferno(3) - PS2?

Another one of those games that just vanished into thin air. I had completely forgotten about this one until it just popped into my mind after looking for some good Dreamcast games I haven't played.

Ive gotten close to finding this one, but no luck thus far.

If you missed it, Killer Instinct on the 360 was never shown, but I managed to dig that one up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kzEmnBuO1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doMBDq1H98I

Was Agent ever officially canned? I know there was the deal last year where they re-registered the trademarks for it. Is it possible they are still working on it?

Yup. Always bummed that it got canned.
New Fear Effect game would look stupendous with modern tech.

It's kind of surprising that a build of it hasn't surfaced at all, considering how far it seems like it was.

It did cell shading years before Jet set would make it a household name. Fantastic games, glad to own both of them.

This was more than a decade ago though, people change and perhaps Knack was a particularly bad experiment.

Cerny was quite helpful with the original Crash Bandicoots as well, I would've trusted him to deliver tbh.

krizzx

Silver Case - DS

Canned after Flower, Sun, and Rain didn't sell well. Though, I still do not comprehend why Suda released Flower, Sun, and Rain first when its the sequel to the Silver Case and understanding most of the plot elements and references in the game are reliant upon knowing events from the Silver Case and Moonlight Syndrome beforehand.

TheSilverDS.jpg
tsc4.png
yaburo.jpg

I really wanted a mp3 VMU back in the day, as I always had a VMU on me anyway to play tetris and chao adventure while at school.

AESplusF

Do you guys remember when they announced a Bioshock game for PS Vita? Apparently it was going to be a turn based rpg set in pre-fall Rapture.

krizzx

No More Heroes 3 - Wii U

Suda 51 promised it would be on Nintnendo's next system after 2. He reafirmed those were waiting would not be dissapointed. Then we got this teaser with Shinobu in it.

1364484818-grasshopper-next-2__large.jpg

Then Grasshopper Manufacturer got bought out by Gungho, and everything they had in the making turned to mud.

sörine;136110625 said:
Going a bit older I'll say Crystalis II for Neo Geo and Ys IV for Sega CD. Both were announced but never seen. I'm not even sure if they actually started development or not.

Wooooah. If Crystalis II had been made and been a Neo Geo exclusive, my gaming history would have been sooooo much different. I tried to save for a Neo Geo soooo many times but eventually caved because I ended up wanting something else and it seemed like I'd never reach my goal... but Crystalis II? That would've focused me like a laser beam.

DeSolos

Earthbound 64/Mother 3(N64)

Haven't played Mother 3, but it seems like a much better realization than what the initial N64 version was. That said, I'd still love to see what it would have been like on N64.

pablito

Another vote for the original Metal Gear Rising. The Platinum version is cool and all, but I wanted the original version more.

I would kill to see this very early prototype in action. Back when the Nintendo DS was new, I saw a magazine article that said Capcom was working on a MegaMan Battle Network game for the then-new console. That just turns out to be a port of the months-old GBA game, MegaMan Battle Network 5. Some years later, and then MegaMan Star Force is the original DS-bound game. But these 3D models were found in the game.
kAiUCm7.png

IMGPbRE.png

S59PYy4.png

Possibly a very crude tech demo for a fully-3D overworld and battle system for Battle Network. Perhaps even Star Force was going to be like this and the Battle Network setting and characters were just placeholder. Either way, there are no screenshots anywhere else besides this as evidence it must have existed at some point. The 7-Eleven is from the Japanese 7-Eleven site from around 2005-2008-ish. Honda logo is in English. Higsby's shop on the texture used the English for whatever reason. I NEED to see more of this!

alpha43

Neo Member
Pretty sure back in the 90s Dreamforge(Sanitarium) was working on a Werewolf game and unless i'm wrong it was actually real close to getting released.Most of the cutscenes can be found on youtube these days and while what little gameplay i saw looked like shit i still would like to play it.

Also both Troika's(probably Fallout 3 before they lost the ip) and Looking Glass Technologies's(was a secret agent stealth game) last planned games/pitches would've been cool to see.

Top Bottom