• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom + 360 = Match made in sales heaven

Azih

in the light darkness said:
i like to play the superior version of games thank you
_john_carmack_01.jpg

John Carmack says MARGINALLY MORE POWERFUL

Mrbob

Uh oh I feel an upcoming Ninja Gaiden/ Devil May Cry 3 slugfest coming on.

I still maintain Ninja Gaiden is closer to Zelda than it is DMC.

IAmNude

Banned
games made for ps3 will have better textures than threeshitty games

The games are the same on ps3 or worse. Look at FEAR or The darkness. The ps3 versions have worse textures but better ingame tvs

Threeshitty. Oh that is classic mirth making. Spell Microsoft with a dollar sign and you will become the funniest poster on the board.

GreekWolf

Nithr resurrected from the grave, confirmed.

Except that his trolling would at least contain information that was highly debatable, instead of blatantly wrong. :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
threeshitty. i honestly can't stop laughing. i can't remember the last time someone said something THAT funny.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

Dare I ask how you came to that fascinating conclusion?

Faizal

Banned
i like to play the superior version of games thank you

And being able to play a slightly inferior version of a game is better than not playing it at all. If you really love a game, wouldn't you want everyone else to appreciate it as well? Isn't that what gaming is about? Getting as many people as possible to experience great games? Multiplatform games will benefit everyone, well except maybe the most jaded of gamers.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
so that makes one reason to buy a 360?

not that dmc4 will ever come to 360

I already have a 360. I had decided not to get a PS3 but recently I have been reconsidering it.

So now that I was slightly planning on buying a PS3, I have one less reason to. A game that I'm very excited about is now being considered to be ported to the 360. That's one less reason for me to spend $650 (tax included) for you know what.

I hope it does. Solely from a financial perspective, I think it will be better for both me and Capcom if DMC 4 comes out on 360. I save 600 (it was one of the determining factors in buying a PS3 you know), Capcom makes more money, and we're all happy.

This is assuming that the quality of the game is not downgraded since it's multiplatform. I'm going to be optimistic and say it won't.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Amir0x said:
I don't really think it's settled. While I love Ninja Gaiden and its gameplay as well, I believe Devil May Cry's gameplay/combat is superior AND somewhat deeper. But, to each his/her own.

Let me think again to see if what you're saying holds true......

I kind of understand what you mean by the deeper part. DMC gives you more freedom. Combos in DMC are varied and you can always choose what happens next, mid combo. Rolling plays a crucial part (at least in DMC 3) and timed button presses are one of the factors that differentiates one combo from the next (the other is your choice--i.e. what you do with the bad guy once you've got him in mid-air, etc.)

NG's combos are predetermined. You have a slight degree of freedom in how you fight but not as much as DMC. However, at the same time, NG has more combos and combos that have their own significantly different animations, but are triggered by a series of button presses that you must memorize. Without memorization, you can't perform the more complex moves.

But I will end like you did: to each his own. I prefer the awesome animations and memorizing my ass off, while you prefer the depth that you can create through the freedom the game provides you with in its cleverly designed combat system (DMC).

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
3rdman said:
You realize that 3 of the 4 things you mention about DMC that you like are peripheral to the actual game?

I value all the things I posted about DMC. Music, voice acting, level design/cool-looking-ness/, and story are things I value, a lot.

Amir0x said:
I don't really think it's settled. While I love Ninja Gaiden and its gameplay as well, I believe Devil May Cry's gameplay/combat is superior AND somewhat deeper. But, to each his/her own.

Agreed. DMC3's combat mechanics is quite possibly the best free-form combat system of any game imo.

http://66.79.164.28/dmc3/movies/keepers.wmv

http://66.79.164.28/dmc3/movies/Immortalsvol2v2.wmv

http://66.79.164.28/dmc3/movies/return.wmv

http://208.109.11.158/Games/Tatsumarublacks - Rising Dragon (wmr).wmv

http://66.79.164.28/dmc3/movies/dantes wrath.wmv

Speevy

Banned
C- Warrior said:

As someone who's completed both games, I have to say that DMC3's combat is much deeper. However, I find Ninja Gaiden to be more fun. Each game is suited to the individual style of play though, and each has individual strengths that have nothing to do with combat.

HokieJoe

I hope no one is conflating DR's fortuitous launch timing with it's potential as a franchise.

Take Halo for instance. IIRC, it was basically the only hit-worthy game on the Xbox platform. I contend that it's relative solitude of awesomeness helped drive sells. Now, I'm not saying that DR has Halo's staying power, but I think it's reasonable to say that Capcom could squeeze one or two sequels out of it.

If DR does sell ~1 million, then it will have gained a foothold in the gaming market conscious, so no matter what a possible sequel launches against, it has name recognition. It doesn't guarantee sells if the game sucks, but it certainly counts for something.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
My biggest complaints with NG are:

Level design is in some cases well thought out (in others not), but the main thing is, the levels lack anything to make them interesting or "cool" looking.

Secondly is the horrible story. Story matters.

nitewulf

meh, rather than the same old dmc sh*t, capcom should introduce new franchises to the x360. the first DMC was great, my reason to buy a ps2 even...but i'd rather they start new franchises. dead rising is a great start, and lost planet is a great second wave.

Jonnyram

nitewulf said:
meh, rather than the same old dmc sh*t, capcom should introduce new franchises to the x360. the first DMC was great, my reason to buy a ps2 even...but i'd rather they start new franchises. dead rising is a great start, and lost planet is a great second wave.
There's nothing wrong with keeping the same old shit for some of the old fans. I mean, like you said, Dead Rising and Lost Planet are pretty awesome new IPs for starters. I'm sure the new stuff will keep coming.

nitewulf

just trying to put things in perspective i guess... i just dont see DMC4 as a great system seller...the reason to buy PS3 is FF and MGS games, not DMC. so what difference does it make if capcom makes it multiplatform? i dont see the big deal.
capcom's new stuff is always more exciting than their sequels (aside from the gamecube bombs i guess), hence the original DMC was so attractive to me rather than the same old RE games.

Jonnyram

Oh, I agree with that sentiment. I think series like DMC and Onimusha are as good as over now. They were fresh with the PS2, but they have grown a bit samey and even changes like Shin Onimusha can't save them from declining fanbase.

Monster Hunter is one thing I'd like to see done right this gen, though. The PS2 version had lots of potential, but with a crappy online setup, and loading between every (small) area, it was kind of annoying. Maybe with the 360 or PS3 they can achieve better results.

gconsole

nitewulf said:
just trying to put things in perspective i guess... i just dont see DMC4 as a great system seller...the reason to buy PS3 is FF and MGS games, not DMC. so what difference does it make if capcom makes it multiplatform? i dont see the big deal.
capcom's new stuff is always more exciting than their sequels (aside from the gamecube bombs i guess), hence the original DMC was so attractive to me rather than the same old RE games.

What happended with RE4 ?

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
Oh, I agree with that sentiment. I think series like DMC and Onimusha are as good as over now.

I don't agree. I'm grateful the Biohazard series has survived a comparatively harsh generation, but I think the two franchises have life left in them. Certainly more life than Capcom's other series like Mega Man. If Capcom can figure out how to keep them selling above 1 Million units worldwide and keep development costs down, then I think they'll be fine.

I think Capcom should blame Inafune's overzealousness on the "downfall" of Onimusha. The only reason Onimusha 3 tanked was because they decided to develop a new 3D engine for it (they should have just used the pre-made DMC engine), license not one but two top-level actors, and develop a horrendously expensive ROBOT CG introduction all in the face of falling sales (honestly, it was nice, but could have funded another game). It sold 600K in Japan alone, which isn't a bad number at all, but if Inafune hadn't been so adamant about stuff like ROBOT and Jean Reno then I think it would have done very well. And then it leaked into Shin Onimusha, which is a shame, because it's so much better than the first three.

Jonnyram said:
Oh, I agree with that sentiment. I think series like DMC is good as over now

So 1.7 million SOLD for DMC3 is "as good as over now???" -- and as worldwide sales go it's still sold better than other action games that are usually compared with DMC. But hey, I guess, almost 2 mill is not all that much...whoakaaaay.

Jonnyram said:
... can't save them from declining fanbase.

DMC3 sold more than DMC2 did. You see, I find the word declining as "in a state of drop -- lessening" ... and that doesn't fit the descriptor.

...you're right about Onimusha though.

EDIT: AND EVERY franchise that is continually released on the same platform 'sees' a decline in sales.

MGS3 SOLD WAY LESS than MGS2
Tekken 5 SOLD WAY LESS than Tekken 4
Doa Ultimate SOLD WAY LESS than DOA3

But that's the whole reason why developers BOTHER swithing to next-gen, to do new things and regain the interest back in the series. It's not like more pain in the ass + higher budget costs to develop for next-gen is attractive to developers.

C'mon jonnyram, you know better ;)

Sagitario

C- Warrior said:

I said WOW!
I always have thought: "I'm not very good at this game but hey!... I can beat the bad guys (after 10-15 tries :p )..."
After watching those videos, I know I just suck and will never be able to at least been a decent player... :(

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
DreamMachine said:
How do you know that these games are MS-funded do you mean an exclusitivty contract or actually funded the project almost like a producer?

A swedish mag (the biggest in sweden) went to japan to speak with Team Ninja.
There it was said, amongst other things, that thanks to MS funding, Team Ninja has been able to expand and form a new team, Team progressive. This team gets everything on a silver plate, once again.. thanks to MS-fundings..

They also said that Team Ninja has grown almost as big as its parent company, tecmo, just because of MS influence on the team.

So all in all, it appears that everything that Team Ninja is working on, is Xbox360 related...

Jonnyram

C- Warrior said:
C'mon jonnyram, you know better ;)
Hehe, I'm just sticking my boot in a ****ed up thread. I didn't know DMC3 had outperformed DMC2 to be honest, but it's still down on DMC1 isn't it? I guess Onimusha was the main focus of my point, but cvxfreak didn't like that either :( Capcom sure do like those sequels though :/

cvxfreak

1.7 Million, really C-?

It's at about 350K in Japan combined, what about the rest of the world? 2 Million's their benchmark for this generation with both the original Onimusha and DMC1 reaching that number. It's RE4 at 3 Million combined.

gconsole

cvxfreak said:
1.7 Million, really C-?

It's at about 350K in Japan combined, what about the rest of the world? 2 Million's their benchmark for this generation with both the original Onimusha and DMC1 reaching that number. It's RE4 at 3 Million combined.

I found on ioi's site mention that DMC3 sold around 700K in US and 600K in Europe + the rest. Not sure if that is accurate or not. Last time I checked from NPD number DMC3 only sold around 300K (+100K of SE).

vantastic

Faizal said:
And being able to play a slightly inferior version of a game is better than not playing it at all. If you really love a game, wouldn't you want everyone else to appreciate it as well? Isn't that what gaming is about? Getting as many people as possible to experience great games? Multiplatform games will benefit everyone, well except maybe the most jaded of gamers.
funny, i remember reading similar things about RE4 PS2. so many people were saying "just get a gamecube" :lol

cvxfreak

Faizal said:

I'm glad the PS2 helped RE4 to sell over 3 Million worldwide. It kind of annoys me when a multiplatform gamer chooses the PS2 version over the GC version, ESPECIALLY if they had a GC during the ten month exclusivity period, but it's undeniable that the PS2 version did a lot of good for the series' popularity.

cvxfreak said:
1.7 Million, really C-?

Devil May Cry 3 PS2 Capcom

350.000 Japan
730.000 US
540.000 Europe
1.620.000 worldwide

And yes DMC1 is Capcom's best selling single game of this generation for them, but it surpassed 2 million. It was at around 2.8 million actually.

Devil May Cry PS2 Capcom

650.000 Japan
1.260.000 US
830.000 Europe
2.740.000 worldwide

cvxfreak

Getting this from Capcom or vgcharts.org? (too lazy to check)

If it's the latter, I wouldn't believe it.

Otherwise, DMC did better than I expected. Especially with a shitty PAL port.

cvxfreak said:
Getting this from Capcom or vgcharts.org? (too lazy to check)

If it's the latter, I wouldn't believe it.

Otherwise, DMC did better than I expected.

These numbers are correct. And yes -- those numbers are accurate for DMC1 as well. As for the PAL port -- most games at that time had poor PAL conversion, so PALers didn't know better, beside DMC1 was at 60 fps so a speed reduction didn't cripple the game.

Capcom's official website puts the entire series at almost around 6 million units. And this is before the release of the SE.

http://ir.capcom.co.jp/english/data/salesdata.html

That's about 2 million units per DMC game. So, keeping that in mind the numbers for part 1, 2 and 3 are actually pretty accurate.

Bodom78

dirtmonkey37 said:
I hope it does. Solely from a financial perspective, I think it will be better for both me and Capcom if DMC 4 comes out on 360. I save 600 (it was one of the determining factors in buying a PS3 you know), Capcom makes more money, and we're all happy.

Aint that the truth.

Top Bottom