• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom + 360 = Match made in sales heaven

jarrod

Banned
C- Warrior said:
3) Dead Rising got a special buzz to it. That buzz being "man, there really isn't any other game to get -- let me check out this one." Would Dead Rising sell if it was released on the PS2 last year? **** no. It's called the Bouncer affect.
To be fair, "The Bouncer effect" is what in large helped cement the popularity of franchises like Onimusha and Devil May Cry too early in PS2's lifecycle... had either of those games first appeared on PS2 last year, they have been forgotten as well. See: Shadow of Rome or Devil Kings.

Actually, I sort of see Dead Rising and Lost Planet as this generation's Onimusha and Devil May Cry. Last gen everyone thought it was an upset when Capcom pawned off Resident Evil and Dino Crisis away, but the truth is they handed PS2 exciting new AAA games for a new generation. I don't really see that happening with PlayStation 3, instead it seems it's held on to the old standbys while 360 gets the new hotness.

C- Warrior said:
3) Dead Rising got a special buzz to it. That buzz being "man, there really isn't any other game to get -- let me check out this one." Would Dead Rising sell if it was released on the PS2 last year? **** no. It's called the Bouncer affect.

Maybe it's because I'm not -all that- graphically impressed with Lost Planet and Dead Rising, and considering Itsuno is a gameplay freak HE WILL MAKE DMC4 at 60 fps just like all the other DMC's, and if Capcom's best on 360 is Lost Planet at 30 fps, a game like DMC4 and all it offers with it's crazy combat shit at 60 fps isn't look so hot graphically. Multi-port could really kill the game's artistic and visual charm.

Man, you don't need to sully your argument with this Slim Pickins bullshit train everyone seems to be riding. Dead Rising would ABSOLUTELY sell on the PS2 last year. (Or whatever version of it they could pull off last gen). It's punching Zombies in the dick! With anything you want! In a mall! People would buy it for the effing Game Boy Micro!

I see your concern about DMC and its portage. I'm not going to pretend that I know the first thing about that games vagaries. You raise interesting points about Sony's approach to its exclusives, and then you unzip and urinate on it by completely and seemingly willfully misjudging Dead Rising's appeal.

Barnolde

Banned
Nvidia said:
sony an capcom at TGS to show DMC4 video and tag it with only on ps3:) :)

220231b.jpg

It was on the damn box!

Nvidia said:
Yes it would :/

Thanks for the info Capcom!

cvxfreak said:
But would the masses buy that up?

Capcom did this very same thing with Onimusha and even Resident Evil. Look how far they've fallen. At least RE can crunch over 1 Million with each installment.

Yes and why? Because it has characters that pop off the screen, a plot that hooked it's fans. It's the same appeal Dante has, the same appeal that gets comic book licenses, movie licenses, apperances in other games etc.

Frank West has none of that shit. And frankly, Dead Rising is a game where (to throw out a number) 70% of the people CAN'T EVEN ****IN READ.

DMC3 and to a lesser extent the RE games are certainly very challenging games, but at least people can read what the **** they are supposed to do.

I'm not saying Dead Rising is a bad game, I own it and I loved it. But games with long lasting appeal need depth. There lies NO DEPTH in Dead Rising. The only skill you need is the skill to accept defeat and restart the game (Dragon Quarter style) and level crunch up.

Dead Rising was able to escape the State of Emergency shtick because of certain new elements -- when the sequal comes out along, those elements won't be new anymore. What are they going to add, MORE CHAIRS to throw at zombies? New environment isn't enough.

Imagine RE5 playing out in a new environment, that's not enough. It needs (and will) have a new story, new gameplay types, new ENEMIES. etc.

Dead Rising 2 = more same shit - shit to throw, at the same zombies, but this time instead of a store template inside a mall, you have store templates on the city block. THAT'S what I mean when I say I don't think Dead Rising has franchise stay power. DMC3 was able to surpass DMC2 in worldwide sales, same with RE4 when juxtaposed with REmake and RE0.

Dead Rising (I feel) will go the same wayward path as the Onimusha series has.

I'm not saying I'm right, I very well know that Dead Rising could be the new DMC/RE franchise of the next-generation and on, and hey good for it, and Capcom could announce the DMC4 port tomorrow, everyone chillax - I'm just trying to explain why like Valis asked me to. Nothing more.

Whoakaaaay.

I wonder if releasing DMC4 in Xbox360 and Ps3 can destroy the sale numbers of the game. I mean, is not the first time we see an exclusive franchise go multiplatform and get poor sales, but in the other side we have things like Soul Calibur 2. Time will tell.

I only wish Capcom make a good decission because Capcom history is filled with pretty bad financial decissions.

Arsenal

Surreal said:
DR is a one trick pony, what else can you add to the game? More weapons? Lock the main guy in a submarine and give him a videocamera for the sequel?

This is like saying GTA is a one-trick pony. The game is confined to one mall - there are so many ways you could expand on that.

Nvidia

Banned
jarrod said:
To be fair, "The Bouncer effect" is what in large helped cement the popularity of franchises like Onimusha and Devil May Cry too early in PS2's lifecycle... had either of those games first appeared on PS2 last year, they have been forgotten as well. See: Shadow of Rome or Devil Kings.

Actually, I sort of see Dead Rising and Lost Planet as this generation's Onimusha and Devil May Cry. Last gen everyone thought it was an upset when Capcom pawned off Resident Evil and Dino Crisis away, but the truth is they handed PS2 exciting new AAA games for a new generation. I don't really see that happening with PlayStation 3, instead it seems it's held on to the old standbys while 360 gets the new hotness.

I will save this reply for what games will be shown at TGS from capcom and other companys for each console :/ Ownage time coming:lol

jarrod said:

DMC hit when the wave of PS2 games came in, so there was no Bouncer effect there, although you're spot on with Onimusha which hit when there realyl wasn't much going on with the PS2. But DMC managed to come out as being succesful even with a bunch of other popular games around it.

M3wThr33

Banned
Arsenal said:
This is like saying GTA is a one-trick pony. The game is confined to one mall - there are so many ways you could expand on that.

Bigger mall! Go outside into the parking lot! Co-op team based online combat! Versus! CTF! ROBOTS.

C- Warrior said:
Yes and why? Because it has characters that pop off the screen, a plot that hooked it's fans. It's the same appeal Dante has, the same appeal that gets comic book licenses, movie licenses, apperances in other games etc.

Frank West has none of that shit. And frankly, Dead Rising is a game where (to throw out a number) 70% of the people CAN'T EVEN ****IN READ.

DMC3 and to a lesser extent the RE games are certainly very challenging games, but at least people can read what the **** they are supposed to do.

I'm not saying Dead Rising is a bad game, I own it and I loved it. But games with long lasting appeal need depth. There lies NO DEPTH in Dead Rising. The only skill you need is the skill to accept defeat and restart the game (Dragon Quarter style) and level crunch up.

Dead Rising was able to escape the State of Emergency shtick because of certain new elements -- when the sequal comes out along, those elements won't be new anymore. What are they going to add, MORE CHAIRS to throw at zombies? New environment isn't enough.

Imagine RE5 playing out in a new environment, that's not enough. It needs (and will) have a new story, new gameplay types, new ENEMIES. etc.

Dead Rising 2 = more same shit - shit to throw, at the same zombies, but this time instead of a store template inside a mall, you have store templates on the city block. THAT'S what I mean when I say I don't think Dead Rising has franchise stay power. DMC3 was able to surpass DMC2 in worldwide sales, same with RE4 when juxtaposed with REmake and RE0.

Dead Rising (I feel) will go the same wayward path as the Onimusha series has.

I'm not saying I'm right, I very well know that Dead Rising could be the new DMC/RE franchise of the next-generation and on, and hey good for it, and Capcom could announce the DMC4 port tomorrow, everyone chillax - I'm just trying to explain why like Valis asked me to. Nothing more.

Whoakaaaay.
it is going to be hard for dead rising to turn into a series, that i don't disagree with. i do see some possibilities, but the location was part of what made it so fun, and you either need another mall or another area that's as ripe with possibility... i'm thinking a small american town with lots of shops, hotels, gas stations all accessible instead of a big mall for the sequel, but we'll see what they do should they attempt one.

i do refute that the game has no depth though. it's really really replayable.

C- Warrior said:

My boy Frank West is more engaging to me than any of the RE protagonists I've spent time with. I've never played DMC, though. I watched that little video that was posted up thread, and I seems like a likeable enough fellow. It's a just a cutscene, but Mr. West left a more personable impression the first time I saw Dead Rising webisodes. He's just an average joe! With fantastic animation!

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
DMC hit when the wave of PS2 games came in, so there was no Bouncer effect there, although you're spot on with Onimusha which hit when there realyl wasn't much going on with the PS2. But DMC managed to come out as being succesful even with a bunch of other popular games around it.
True, a better comparable for DMC will likely be Lost Planet. I'd say PS2 was a lot worse off when Onimusha hit as compared to 360 and Dead Rising though... 360's "Onimusha" was more like Oblivion.

Still launching early in a platform's lifecycle does help. If they were all initially launched last year on PS2, Onimusha, Dead Rising and DMC would've all tanked comparably imo.

plagiarize said:
anyone who has played the game will tell you that you're mistaken here.

Dead Rising would have sold well on any system, and if and when it or a sequel, hits other platforms, you'll see that to be the case.

Are you serious man?

How many amazing PS2 games sold like shit -- just because they came out with 240 other games per week, and 40 of which being EA sports games.

Dead Rising sold as much as it does because it's "retardidly" fun, looks pretty, and it's the only decent thing to play now, and for quite some time now.

IT WOULD NOT HAVE SOLD any near as well if it came out a year later, or at a point when there was -- you know -- actual product shelf compitition to be had.

Seriously jarrod, DMC did not have the bouncer affect. Dead Rising on the other hand -- yes. Just to remind you DMC1 came out at the same period as:

Metal Gear Solid 2
Final Fantasy X
and Grand Theft Auto III

(FALL 2001 period)

What did Dead Rising come out in competition with....NINETY NINE NIGHTS? Yeah I know exactly.

C- Warrior said:
Are you serious man?

How many amazing PS2 games sold like shit -- just because they came out with 240 other games per week, and 40 of which being EA sports games.

Dead Rising sold as much as it does because it's "retardidly" fun, looks pretty, and it's the only decent thing to play now, and for quite some time now.

IT WOULD NOT HAVE SOLD any near as well if it came out a year later, or at a point when there was -- you know -- actual product shelf compitition to be had.
tell that to the people that bought a system to play it on. i personally know 3 such people in real life, and have seen many more people 'on the net' picking up a 360 for the title.

dead rising is a game that is different. it's dawn of the dead nearly perfectly realised in the form of a video game. that shit sells regardless of the system.

dead rising turns heads because it's different. i'm a multiplatform gamer. always will be. dead rising got my attention.

if you can't look at say, killer 7 and dead rising and see why one would sell hundreds of thousands and one wouldn't... then i think you're putting your own personal opinion of the game into your estimations of what it's wide appeal is.

i love both, but one has mainstream appeal and one doesn't.

plagiarize said:
tell that to the people that bought a system to play it on. i personally know 3 such people in real life, and have seen many more people 'on the net' picking up a 360 for the title.

dead rising is a game that is different. it's dawn of the dead nearly perfectly realised in the form of a video game. that shit sells regardless of the system.

dead rising turns heads because it's different. i'm a multiplatform gamer. always will be. dead rising got my attention.

if you can't look at say, killer 7 and dead rising and see why one would sell hundreds of thousands and one wouldn't... then i think you're putting your own personal opinion of the game into your estimations of what it's wide appeal is.

i love both, but one has mainstream appeal and one doesn't.

/this portion of the thread.

Let's move on, folks!

Faizal

Banned
There lies NO DEPTH in Dead Rising.

I'm not sure what you mean by "depth", but I don't see how you can call a game that has hundreds of weapons, dozens of fighting skills, 15+ bosses, numerous cutscenes, a solid storyline, huge environments, and combines so many gameplay elements (action, driving, sniping, photography, rescuing people etc) as being a "shallow" sort of game...

I do agree it would be hard to make a long franchise out of Dead Rising...I don't know how many times you can repeat the "trapped in a big place with thousands of zombies" setting. Maybe they can stretch it out to a trilogy at most.

it's dawn of the dead nearly perfectly realised in the form of a video game.

I agree with this statement 100%. It's the best way to describe it.

duk

Banned
Wow that's crazy, even though I find NO interest in DR, it looks like many many gamers do. Good for capcom; I hope they do release bigger games for the 360.

I know this will probably mean that Lost Planet will be killer as well.

J-Rzez

C- Warrior said:
Are you serious man?

QFT on that... period... Finally someone else sees this...

DR is a "decent" game that hit the shelves on a time where there's nothing else worth to play at the moment... It wears thin on you after a lil while... Does it have staying power? I'm not sure what they can add...

and ppl are messed up... I wonder how ppl would react if people there was an announcement that Ninja Gaiden went multiplatform... how many of these ppl saying it's great that DMC "could" go MP, would cry a river of tears if Ninja Gaiden went to other pastures, saying "F-Dat Dogg, it's not right!"...

...eh

jarrod

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Seriously jarrod, DMC did not have the bouncer affect. Dead Rising on the other hand -- yes. Just to remind you DMC1 came out at the same period as:

Metal Gear Solid 2
Final Fantasy X
and Grand Theft Auto III

(FALL 2001 period)

What did Dead Rising come out in competition with....NINETY NINE NIGHTS? Yeah I know exactly.
Well, it's not like DR's too far off from fall. Sure the 360 drought helps, and DR fortunately signals the end of that, but the game wouldn't have at all tanked had it released 2 months later like DMC (which actually released over a month before MGS2 and FFX fwiw).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
J-Rzez said:
and ppl are messed up... I wonder how ppl would react if people there was an announcement that Ninja Gaiden went multiplatform... how many of these ppl saying it's great that DMC "could" go MP, would cry a river of tears if Ninja Gaiden went to other pastures, saying "F-Dat Dogg, it's not right!"...
Ninja Gaiden getting multiplatform would have the exact same people, but with reversed roles.

Faizal

Banned
I'm sort of confused by the comments people are making about Dead Rising not having "staying power" or only being "average". What other action/adventure games are they comparing it to? I see very little else on the market that even comes close to Dead Rising right now, in terms of graphics, production values, depth, etc.

neptunes

the same amount of people who cried when re4 multi, seriously who gives a ****?

why is this even an issue?

Faizal said:
I'm sort of confused by the comments people are making about Dead Rising not having "staying power" or only being "average". What other action/adventure games are they comparing it to? I see nothing else on the market that even comes close to Dead Rising right now, in terms of graphics, production values, depth, etc.

The concept of the game. Dude look, I've stated my reasons above, and others have regarding the same manner.

pr0cs

C- Warrior said:
Frank West has none of that shit.

holy close minded, use your imagination.

there are tons of directions they could have Frank move into, probably not zombie related but similar gameplay around other "scoops" that Frank wants in on:

Alien Abduction
Robots, technology gone wild
Time Travel
Monsters/Giant Insects
etc

add in totally new storylines using some of those examples, add in same basic gameplay from Dead Rising (everything is a weapon) and use their experience from Lost Planet (multiplayer code) to include co-op, some sort of deathmatch and capture the flag and you have yourself a series.

The save system sucks in Dead Rising but I chalk it up to one of the few Japanese "quirks" about the game. Considering how good the rest of the game is I can live with it. I really think that Dead Rising is potentially the start of a totally new series of games featuring Frank West.

snatches

Nvidia said:
sony an capcom at TGS to show DMC4 video and tag it with only on ps3:) :)

You're posts in this thread have been articulate, well thought out, and not troll worthy at all.

Edit: Systemwars.com? Now it all makes sense. GO BACK.

C warrior is rigth they could have zombies, robots, republicans or whatever in the sequel but if the combat is the same thing over and over again the novelty will wear off.

J-Rzez said:
QFT on that... period... Finally someone else sees this...

DR is a "decent" game that hit the shelves on a time where there's nothing else worth to play at the moment... It wears thin on you after a lil while... Does it have staying power? I'm not sure what they can add...

We've stated at length what they can and most likely will add.

"Finally someone sees this"? Sorry it took so long for Team Slim Pickins to find a Third Baseman, but maybe the length and breadth of your search ought to tell you somthing.

Faizal

Banned
C- Warrior said:
The concept of the game. Dude look, I've stated my reasons above, and others have regarding the same manner.

But that's a whole different issue...just beacuse you don't like a game because it's not the genre or style you like, it doesn't mean the game has no depth or is of poor quality.

linsivvi

Kabuki Waq said:
C warrior is rigth they could have zombies, robots, republicans or whatever in the sequel but if the combat is the same thing over and over again the novelty will wear off.

Dynasty Warriors and it's rapidly growing family drop by to say hi.

Faizal said:
But that's a whole different issue...just beacuse you don't like a game because it's not the genre or style you like, it doesn't mean the game has no depth or is of poor quality.

Or is without staying power. That's another big one.

Faizal

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:

They could easily add more elements to the combat. They can add stuff like more vechicle to vechicle combat, "dial in combo" attacks with weapons, even let Frank shoot laser beams out of his eyes if they wish. The game engine is already robust enough to handle all that stuff.

Nvidia

Banned
Blimblim said:
Figures...

hey blimblim do you recall me/GaMeCuBeFLOP sent you a friends request for xbox live on xbox 360. And you did not reply back to me and drop me from your friends request on hold on xbox live. That was gold:lol

jarrod

Banned
C- Warrior said:

But basically, Dead Rising is something hard to stretch out. How many times can you repeat the whole a lot of zombies in a certain big place.

It doesn't matter how many weapons Dead Rising has, the essentially act the same.

Knife, Butcher Knife same shit etc.

Chair, Stool, Sign, Plant...same shit.

And so and so forth.

The bosses are weak as **** in this game. Grab Katana and run up and slash. The only strategy would be to know when to back off so that you don't get countered.

Dead Rising is stupid, broken fun. Everything that makes it good goes hand in hand with it's unique appeal. Not towards it actual gameplay substance.
I think the problem is you're looking at command mechanics alone as your qualifier for "depth". Which is actually a very Japanese way of looking at action games, as if they were "dumbed down" fighting games or something. Dead Rising's depth isn't in it's combat, it's in it's expansive world/object design and branching story paths... it's basically Capcom's top studio's take on a GTA style sandbox, which in itself is rather interesting when you think about it. And really, it's not like 3 GTAs have diluted the formula or run out of ideas on PS2... I doubt Dead Rising runs into those sorts of barriers either.

C- Warrior said:
Couple that, with the fact that Dead Rising's success goes in part strongly with it having "the bouncer affect" (no shelf competition) and that leads to a massive drop-off in sales with Dead Rising 2, and even moreso with Dead Rising 3.

If Capcom's smart, they wouldn't be looking at Dead Rising to determine where they put there stronger (and more importantly worldwide oriented) franchises like DMC. Capcom is aiming for a global market, and DMC and RE remain the only two 'global' selling games. Onimusha can't do shit in Europe and NA, and Lost Planet and Dead Rising are naturally crippled in Japan given their console of choice
A lack of competition will help all games... and make no mistake, it certainly helped Devil May Cry by releasing early in PS2's lifecycle, coming a solid month before the "real" big hitters from Konami or Square. And really, DMC2/3 experienced massive drop off sales anyway, that's sort of the way it goes for most franchises who see 3+ installments a generation.

Nvidia said:
hey blimblim do you recall me/GaMeCuBeRFLOP sent you a friends request for xbox live on xbox 360. And you did not reply back to me and drop me from your friends request on hold on xbox live. That was gold:lol

awesome :lol

Blim + 1

linsivvi

Kabuki Waq said:
yes Dynasty WArriors is crap. I agree.

What you think of the series is not the point. You are talking about staying power here dude. Try not to stray too far from it, will ya?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Nvidia said:
hey blimblim do you recall me/GaMeCuBeFLOP sent you a friends request for xbox live on xbox 360. And you did not reply back to me and drop me from your friends request on hold on xbox live. That was gold:lol
Actually I refuse all friends requests from people I don't know. I get about 10 friend requests per week...

pswii60

pr0cs said:
holy close minded, use your imagination.

there are tons of directions they could have Frank move into, probably not zombie related but similar gameplay around other "scoops" that Frank wants in on:

Alien Abduction
Robots, technology gone wild
Time Travel
Monsters/Giant Insects
etc

add in totally new storylines using some of those examples, add in same basic gameplay from Dead Rising (everything is a weapon) and use their experience from Lost Planet (multiplayer code) to include co-op, some sort of deathmatch and capture the flag and you have yourself a series.

The save system sucks in Dead Rising but I chalk it up to one of the few Japanese "quirks" about the game. Considering how good the rest of the game is I can live with it. I really think that Dead Rising is potentially the start of a totally new series of games featuring Frank West.

Cool, you've nailed it, great ideas... but... The game is called Dead Rising - surely any of the ideas above would require a name change? Maybe Capcom should have thought ahead as much as you and just called it Frank West: Dead Rising, or something.

Top Bottom