• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom + 360 = Match made in sales heaven

Hunter D

in the light darkness said:
so if they gave dead rising a new title like dead rising: the dead awakes :)lol) and add a new store to the mall they could release it on ps3? awesome
If they made enough changes to the game they most likely could release it as a sequel.

Edit- How can one branch of a company not know what is going on with another branch of the company? Capcom would be a poorly run company if one branch didn't know what was going on with the other.

in the light darkness said:
dmc is 1.26m in america

and maybe they should wait for sales, i highly doubt dead rising is even close to cod2, oblivion, graw, etc

More specifically, DMC is 1.26 million SOLD in America, not shipped. While DMC3 SOLD almost 800,000 in America. Dead Rising 3 (if it were to exist) won't be breaking 250,000 in North America.

Basically DMC has franchise stay power -- all of the iterations have sold well beyond 1 million worldwide -- can you say the same for Dead Rising if a franchise were to exist? Probably not.

And to the person having trouble in DMC3, put the game on EASY_AUTO-OFF and watch this video (it expands your mind)

http://66.79.164.28/dmc3/movies/Immortalsvol2v2.wmv

Learn how to play like that and it doesn't even matter if Dante dies in two hits -- you won't be seeing that game over screen.

Worst goes to worst, replay mission 1 a few times to stock up on orbs to buy some vital stars, blue orbs and yellow orbs.

cvxfreak

SolidSnakex said:
Or they just aren't in the loop with the Japanese division which isn't anything new.

The executive managers are Japanese. How can they be out of loop? :lol :lol

There's the Bill Gardener "RE will get ported" thing in 2002, but he's not Japanese.

Capcom USA/EU probably has bigger "sales & marketing" responsibilities since. This means that their input will probably be taken seriously by Capcom Japan...read the next gen article on how Capcom US boss is pushing for more "globally accepted" content.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Howabout Monster Hunter? A series unpopular in the US and Europe but very popular in Japan.
Well with no western market at all, maybe Capcom shouldn't bother translating Monster Hunter either? ;)

Arsenal

snatches said:
Bonus points to you sir for being the only person so far to realize the obviousness of this. However, this wouldn't stop Sony from writing them a check now, would it? It remains to be seen.

It certainly gives Capcom some leverage to go to Sony and say, we think we can sell 500k copies of DMC4 on the 360, would you care to cover that if we didn't port it over? And if Capcom is realizing this, then you can bet many other companies are as well.

Sony can only give out so much free money.

C- Warrior said:
More specifically, DMC is 1.26 million SOLD in America, not shipped. While DMC3 SOLD almost 800,000 in America. Dead Rising 3 (if it were to exist) won't be breaking 250,000 in North America.

Basically DMC has franchise stay power -- all of the iterations have sold well beyond 1 million worldwide -- can you say the same for Dead Rising if a franchise were to exist? Probably not.

That's highly premature. A game doing this well having the problems that it has means it's definitely tapped into something with staying power. A second game with a better save system, a bigger sandbox to play in, more weapons? That's not going to do well? And the one after that, that gets even bigger and better? DMC seems to be a different kind of animal and can only expand in certain ways before it becomes a completely different kind of experience. Dead Rising strikes me as built on the same kind of exoskeleton that GTA is. Change the environment, get bigger and better, and your franchise will last, lucratively, for a very long time. Lost Planet, I think, would probably be better suited to your comparison.

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
Well with no western market at all, maybe Capcom shouldn't bother translating Monster Hunter either? ;)

Actually the PSP game did well on the last NPD chart we got... something like 80K? Can't remember exactly but it was probably worth the translation considering they had the PS2 version to go off of.

jarrod said:

Well he said give a game that's better suited for the PS3 than they 360 and MH is one of them.

Hunter D said:
If they made enough changes to the game they most likely could release it as a sequel.

Edit- How can one branch of a company not know what is going on with another branch of the company? Capcom would be a poorly run company if one branch didn't know what was going on with the other.

Sega.jpg

I think having Capcom support the 360 is a great thing with more games, and I don't think it really has any impact negatively on games showing up for the PS3. So why are people spazing out so hard about it then? I don’t know the details about Lost Planet or Dead Rising, and if they show up on the PS3 that's great for folks who cant' afford an Xbox 360. I could care less personally. :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
snatches said:
I did not say this. I said Capcom's rep for my company said this was their stated goal in a conference call I sat in on.
And your endorsing it, so let's not argue semantics since you just tried to throw that in my face. I don't see the Capcom rep helming this discussion.

Secondly, using handhelds for comparison is very misleading.
Why?

Third, the PS3 and 360 have the same core demographic that they are marketing to, and very comparable capabilities. Games suited to one are perfectly suited to the other, so I am still missing your point. Give me one Capcom IP that would be suited to the PS3 but not to the 360, to make your case please.
I'd wager that most of Capcom's games with more Japanese-friendly themes would certainly skew more towards the Playstation demographic than the Xbox demographic up to this point, but that doesn't necessarily speak to the emerging 360 demographic or the PS3 demographic that has yet to emerge (you know, because the system has to be released first).

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Well he said give a game that's better suited for the PS3 than they 360 and MH is one of them.
You never know though... MH might've done well on the western Xbox with a more dedicated online base in place and less competition in it's library. Just because the PS2 game fizzled here doesn't automatically mean the same game would on every platform.

It's also up for debate if PS3 is even going to recapture the PS2 base. At this point, I don't really see why Monster Hunter 3 specifically wouldn't fit the wider 360 demographic though?

And actually he didn't say "better suited for PS3" but rather "unsuited for 360". I just don't think you can really make that case for MH3 yet.

Hunter D

kaching said:
I'd wager that most of Capcom's games with more Japanese-friendly themes would certainly skew more towards the Playstation demographic than the Xbox demographic up to this point, but that doesn't necessarily speak to the emerging 360 demographic or the PS3 demographic that has yet to emerge (you know, because the system has to be released first).
No one knows what the demographic is for the PS3 at this point. It isn't out yet.

snatches

SolidSnakex said:

Good point. However, that series would not exist if not for the Japanese market. The ps2 versions have tanked in NA.

snatches

kaching said:
And your endorsing it, so let's not argue semantics since you just tried to throw that in my face. I don't see the Capcom rep helming this discussion.

When in Rome.....

I am just reporting what I heard. I can see the business sense in multiplatform releases in general, however. And obviously this is good news for 360 owners.

Because they are totally different markets. For example: There are no two technologically comparable portable consoles. So ports are a complete non-issue.

Ok, so you are denying that the PS3 and 360 aren't built and marketed for the same customer base? Gimme a break. I don't need the PS3 to be released to determine that MS is going after their potential customers. The only company not obviously going after the same old demographic is Wii, and we have all established this in many discussions.

VALIS

C- Warrior said:

Um. Why?

cvxfreak

snatches said:
Because they are totally different markets. For example: There are no two technologically comparable portable consoles. So ports are a complete non-issue.

Exactly. Capcom made the mistake of bringing their MegaMan remakes to the PSP due to differences in demographic, but it's not like DMC4 is suddenly wrong for the 360 fanbase. The only console-centric series I can think of that might be a little wrong for the 360 is the Onimusha series, which is very Japan-centric, but that's not even what Capcom USA is asking for.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Surreal said:
DR is a one trick pony, what else can you add to the game? More weapons? Lock the main guy in a submarine and give him a videocamera for the sequel?

More locations. Opening up the setting further would be cool.

VALIS

Surreal said:
DR is a one trick pony, what else can you add to the game? More weapons?

A city-sized game map instead of just a mall. I'd imagine this would appeal to just about everyone who bought DR already.

Faizal

Banned
This is only good news if its means more A++ games like Dead Rising instead of more shovelware like Dino Crisis 3.

cvxfreak

levious said:
More locations. Opening up the setting further would be cool.

But would the masses buy that up?

Capcom did this very same thing with Onimusha and even Resident Evil. Look how far they've fallen. At least RE can crunch over 1 Million with each installment.

Surreal said:
DR is a one trick pony, what else can you add to the game? More weapons? Lock the main guy in a submarine and give him a videocamera for the sequel?

That's quite silly and amusing to read. Shit, I'm psyched for the first weapon to drop on marketplace, not to mention a whole new game's worth of new weapons and settings.

Your argument, in its brevity, is simplistic and reductive, but still amusing.

Rhindle

Dead Rising is a watershed title for Japanese developers, IMO.

I'm amazed at how polished and thoroughly Western-friendly it is, with none of the hangups and quirkiness that usually trip up Japanese titles. Capcom is pointing the way for others to follow if they want to truly be global companies.

slade

Capcom supported the DC and looked to be backing the GC a lot more heavily then the PS2. This all fell apart though because their games did not sell well on those two consoles. If the 360 can deliver for them, then I see them taking a very active approach in developing software for the console. Remember, this is the same company that said a Sony dominated market would be bad for videogaming back when every third party was collectively in Sony's left pocket. That's why they brought so many of their warez to other consoles.

IMO, this is quickly approaching the same type of situation that happened with the DC and PS2. If Capcom can finally strike gold, then I see them staying put on the 360.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
:O :O :O :O

:O

http://66.79.164.28/dmc3/movies/Immortalsvol2v2.wmv

Yes, DMC3 combo goodness always pleases.

Anyway, this shit is retarded. Look, DMC4 is exclusive. Reasons why:

1) Although it's no GTA, or FF -- DMC3 sold 1.7 million, that still makes it the best selling action game of it's class, if not -- neck and neck with God fo War. GoW tore up sales in NA I know, but sold next to zero copies in Japan. Regardless, and more importantly, it's a series targetted to mid to hardcore gamers, which is what Sony wants for early adopters, Sony is basically getting the top of each genre down. Checking them off.

2) Why would Capcom make all these games multiplatform, specifically RE5 which share the same damn mid to hardcore target audience, and specifically both have that "sells pretty good equally in all regions to make it a strong worldwise seller" vibe going for it. So why, out of the blue make DMC4 exclusive when they literally just sat that and decided to make RE5 multi? Does some big-shot Japanese suit guy on the top floor have some special connection with Dante or some shit? No? Sony wanted to keep the series exclusive.

Literally, Sony (if they were smart, and going by their announcement scheduale) seem to look at the various genres and said:

RPG: Final Fantasy (check)
Adventure: Metal Gear Solid (check)
Fighting: Tekken (check)
Action: Devil May Cry (check)
Racing: Gran Turismo (obviously check)

3) Dead Rising got a special buzz to it. That buzz being "man, there really isn't any other game to get -- let me check out this one." Would Dead Rising sell if it was released on the PS2 last year? **** no. It's called the Bouncer affect.

Maybe it's because I'm not -all that- graphically impressed with Lost Planet and Dead Rising, and considering Itsuno is a gameplay freak HE WILL MAKE DMC4 at 60 fps just like all the other DMC's, and if Capcom's best on 360 is Lost Planet at 30 fps, a game like DMC4 and all it offers with it's crazy combat shit at 60 fps isn't look so hot graphically. Multi-port could really kill the game's artistic and visual charm.

Surreal

BenjaminBirdie said:
That's quite silly and amusing to read. Shit, I'm psyched for the first weapon to drop on marketplace, not to mention a whole new game's worth of new weapons and settings.

I still think the videocamera idea is great. You set one up on a tripod, record the carnage, and send it to your friends!

Mojovonio

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:

Also, seeing as how the game ended in its true ending.. we might see something on a much larger scale the next time around....

cvxfreak

C-, I think a port should be the least of your worries. If Capcom has to do it, they'll get most of it right. RE4 on PS2 made it mostly intact.

C- Warrior said:
3) Dead Rising got a special buzz to it. That buzz being "man, there really isn't any other game to get -- let me check out this one." Would Dead Rising sell if it was released on the PS2 last year? **** no. It's called the Bouncer affect.
anyone who has played the game will tell you that you're mistaken here.

Dead Rising would have sold well on any system, and if and when it or a sequel, hits other platforms, you'll see that to be the case.

cvxfreak said:
C-, I think a port should be the least of your worries. If Capcom has to do it, they'll get most of it right. RE4 on PS2 made it mostly intact.

Ports are fine, I just want them to build it on the PS3 first and get it out without worrying about another console. If they want to port afterwards then go for it. UBI and EA already clog up the market enough with their unpolished multiplatform titles for there to be anymore, especially for high quality stuff like DMC.

Ceb

Rhindle said:
I'm amazed at how polished and thoroughly Western-friendly it is, with none of the hangups and quirkiness that usually trip up Japanese titles.

Funny you should say that, since most "Western-friendly" games often aren't the definition of "polished". And no quirkiness? WTF.

Faizal

Banned
I'm amazed at how polished and thoroughly Western-friendly it is, with none of the hangups and quirkiness that usually trip up Japanese titles. Capcom is pointing the way for others to follow if they want to truly be global companies

Yeah, one thing that really stood out to me was the quality of the voice acting in Dead Rising. I think it's some of the best I've heard in a video game, maybe even surpassing the MGS series. Capcom sure has come a long way since the "master of lockpicking" days. :)

Nozi

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Maybe it's because I'm not -all that- graphically impressed with Lost Planet and Dead Rising, and considering Itsuno is a gameplay freak HE WILL MAKE DMC4 at 60 fps just like all the other DMC's, and if Capcom's best on 360 is Lost Planet at 30 fps, a game like DMC4 and all it offers with it's crazy combat shit at 60 fps isn't look so hot graphically. Multi-port could really kill the game's artistic and visual charm.

A Multi-port of DMC wouldn't make any difference to the visuals whatsoever

Mojovonio

Banned
Faizal said:
Yeah, one thing that really stood out to me was the quality of the voice acting in Dead Rising. I think it's some of the best I've heard in a video game, maybe even surpassing the MGS series. Capcom sure has come a long way since the "master of lockpicking" days. :)

I honestly haven't seen such a polished game out of the box since Max Payne 2, but Remedy is a whole different story.

Alan Wake=DELIXOUS!

Top Bottom