• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom + 360 = Match made in sales heaven

Nvidia

Banned
Blimblim said:
Actually I refuse all friends requests from people I don't know. I get about 10 friend requests per week...

I wish people would be my friend and stop trying to use me cause I am a GOD..OwnageGod that is :)

I'm sure DR2 will feature many incredible amazing updates so maybe just maybe C-Warrior will stop deriding it.
Frank West will come back as a half man/half zombie combo machine.
Or they could just expand in different directions to further annoy people who complain about "depth" since apparently all you need for depth is a huge combo system.

Also pretty weak to yell at Lost Planet's 30 fps as a sign that's "the best Capcom can do on the X360". I'd like to think the X360 is capable of handling DMC4. Course I wouldn't be mad at Capcom either if they pulled out something really amazing because at least I have Ninja Gaiden to fall back on(Or do I? According to some people it's a PS3 exclusive now).

But hey what do I care? I'm just trying to save some money. I welcome multiplatform games with the most open of open arms.

Please I would love to see games like Ninja Gaiden go multiplatform so I can tell all of my "doggs" about it. I don't care about the winning and losing of exclusives, I just want to be able to play as many games as I can while owning as few systems as possible.

Can't have any fun... :(

pr0cs

pswii60 said:
Cool, you've nailed it, great ideas... but... The game is called Dead Rising - surely any of the ideas above would require a name change? Maybe Capcom should have thought ahead as much as you and just called it Frank West: Dead Rising, or something.

Well it's just a name, any sequels could be named accordingly along with some marketting that pointed to the games being spirital successors.

Saying that the game is shallow simply because of the combat ignores all the other good things about the game. The character development for Frank that was created in Dead Rising is meaty enough to create a number of sequels based around getting the next big scoop.

Arsenal

in the light darkness said:
dead rising wont even break 300k in august npd so why was this thread even made?

I would never have thought so originally, but now I am not so sure. 300k demo downloads? thats a lot of demand. DR is ranking above NCAA on the played list compared to when they were released. NCAA never got above #4 even though it sold well over 300k in July. DR was #2 last week (rankings from majornelson.com).

J-Rzez

BenjaminBirdie said:
We've stated at length what they can and most likely will add.

"Finally someone sees this"? Sorry it took so long for Team Slim Pickins to find a Third Baseman, but maybe the length and breadth of your search ought to tell you somthing.

Well, it's just MHO... I'm a gamer first, and I'll own all three systems again so I have something to play all the time... but in all seriousness, in mho, if this game released a lil later, when there are some other "antipated" games released, it would most certainly NOT sell as good... I believe there is a drought of "good" games to be played on the 360 as the moment, so when something like this comes out, it's going to sell like crazy to the installed userbase out there at the moment, which are in majority the hardcore gamers, with high attachrates...

Shoot me if my opinion isn't well met... but it's what I think and feel... it is a 7-8 outta 10 game... wish it had a more compelling story to go along with the rest of the elements... maybe a more broad range of attacks for each weapon rather than 2... Dunno... Solid game, yes, God-send, no... maybe I'm just too hard on games anymore in my old age... :lol

Mrbob

To be fair, PS2 nor Xbox could pull off a game like Dead Rising. Sure it could pull off some gimped up version, but then that isn't the game people love and play on 360.

Glad to see the game has awesome sales. DR deserves it.

Regarding Ninja Gaiden 2, I think it is going to go multiplatorm on 360/PS3.

pswii60

Mrbob said:
To be fair, PS2 nor Xbox could pull off a game like Dead Rising. Sure it could pull off some gimped up version, but then that isn't the game people love and play on 360.

Glad to see the game has awesome sales. DR deserves it.

Regarding Ninja Gaiden 2, I think it is going to go multiplatorm on 360/PS3.

Itagaki isn't a fan of multiplatform. Someone's gotta lose out.

cvxfreak

Don't forget that Devil May Cry's demo was included in an incredibly popular CODE: Veronica port on PS2. The port sold a million units worldwide before even hitting budget status.

GhaleonEB

I'm going to ignore all the bitching and just say *wow* that's awesome for Capcom. When does this hit in Europe? Could that 1m production be in part for the launch in that territory?

jarrod

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Don't forget that Devil May Cry's demo was included in an incredibly popular CODE: Veronica port on PS2. The port sold a million units worldwide before even hitting budget status.
But remember, it only did that thanks to "The Bouncer effect". :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
snatches said:
When in Rome.....
There's no arguing on the basis of semantics on my part.

I am just reporting what I heard.
And adding your own personal perspective. Mere reporting wouldn't have resulted in the title you gave this thread, for example, or the second paragraph in your OP.

Because they are totally different markets. For example: There are no two technologically comparable portable consoles. So ports are a complete non-issue.
You're missing the point of the example. The logic here has got little to do with platform competition. The thesis you've reported and lent your support to is that if one game does well on a platform then many more of a company's projects for that space (whether it be console or handheld) should be targeted for that platform because they will also do well. But we can see that doesn't always turn out to be the case.

I don't need the PS3 to be released to determine that MS is going after their potential customers.
Sure, but going after the same customers and getting them are two different things and I don't believe any 3rd parties are really going to build their games based on what any platform owner says their going after but rather what they've got.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Ninja Gaiden2 seems to be MS-funded (and pretty much everything Team Progressive is doing is MS-funded).. and lots of other stuff at Team Ninja is MS-funded as well...

MS funded games should mean a NO NO on other platforms.. (MS learned the hard way... they haven´t forgot the whole Level5 debacle)

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
But remember, it only did that thanks to "The Bouncer effect". :p

You mean CODE: Veronica?

CODE: Veronica was the first of several returns of the RE series to the PS2 console :)P). It didn't need a Bouncer effect to sell.

IAmNude

Banned
Funky Papa said:
Yes! This is what the gaming forum needs, some bets like the ones we made during the world cup on the OT!

Who wants to bet a two month ban?! :D

I have alot of confidence. I will be a 2 week ban.

Faizal

Banned
The bosses are weak as **** in this game. Grab Katana and run up and slash. The only strategy would be to know when to back off so that you don't get countered.

They only become weak after you have sufficiently leveled. On the first play through, almost all the bosses are pretty significant challenges.

Faizal

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Shoot me if my opinion isn't well met... but it's what I think and feel... it is a 7-8 outta 10 game... wish it had a more compelling story to go along with the rest of the elements... maybe a more broad range of attacks for each weapon rather than 2... Dunno... Solid game, yes, God-send, no... maybe I'm just too hard on games anymore in my old age... :lol

Again...can you please name some of these similar games you are comparing Dead Rising to when you make such criticisms?

dead rising wont even break 300k in august npd so why was this thread even made?

BTW, Dead Rising seems to be totally sold out at my local EB. I haven't seen that happen before with any X360 game, not even Oblivion.

snatches

IAmNude said:

Hopefully a mod noticed this.

On a totally unrelated note, how did this thread become a means to 100 posts for junior trolls from gamefaqs? No matter how many times I leave this thread alone for an hour, it continues to "impress"

And to kaching- agree to disagree here. I think this early in the console cycle a lot of decisions are made based on sales results....even of a single title. see: PS2.

Anyways, troll away Juniors! 100 posts is only a troll away!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
IAmNude said:
Here, here, we have a valiant willing to bet his posting privileges for truth and entertainment! Who wants be next, gentlemen? Who dares to defy the banstick to enlight the forum?

jarrod

Banned
cvxfreak said:
You mean CODE: Veronica?

CODE: Veronica was the first of several returns of the RE series to the PS2 console :)P). It didn't need a Bouncer effect to sell.
Heh, just making fun of "The Bouncer Effect". Clearly any game with little competition scheduled around it, that happens to sell well must owe those sales solely to the lack of competition... right? ;)

DarkCloud

jarrod said:
I think the problem is you're looking at command mechanics alone as your qualifier for "depth". Which is actually a very Japanese way of looking at action games, as if they were "dumbed down" fighting games or something. Dead Rising's depth isn't in it's combat, it's in it's expansive world/object design and branching story paths... it's basically Capcom's top studio's take on a GTA style sandbox, which in itself is rather interesting when you think about it. And really, it's not like 3 GTAs have diluted the formula or run out of ideas on PS2... I doubt Dead Rising runs into those sorts of barriers either.

Especially since Capcom has the extra advantage of being able to draw from their other IPs for ideas to use in any sequel they come up with. A quick trip to an open book/clothing store and Frank could be sporting an all new moveset from Street Fighter, Breath of Fire, or even Devil May Cry. His ability to alter his style is one of the key aspects that make the game so fun.

smurfx

get some go again
is the game selling good because of the game or the fact that there is nothing good to play for xbox 360 right now?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Awesome news that Dead Rising is creating this much demand, and that Capcom is digging this - more new IPs for the 360 please Capcom!

Can't wait to see the sales - this game really, really deserves its success, and I hope that it means more Capcom support...

I expect the same with Lost Planet as well too!

jarrod

Banned
smurfx said:
is the game selling good because of the game or the fact that there is nothing good to play for xbox 360 right now?
To a large extent both. Just like Resident Evil in 1996, Onimusha in 2001 and Devil May Cry in 2001.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I doubt xfriends will be nearly as receptive to DMC4 seeing as DMC is so shitty compared to Ninja Gaiden.

Dead Rising has gotten trolled since released.

Dead Rising sells well, and the trolls increase.

The current Dead Rising game is confirmed exclusive, and even more trolls show up.

0780623274.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Faizal said:
BTW, Dead Rising seems to be totally sold out at my local EB. I haven't seen that happen before with any X360 game, not even Oblivion.

Yesterday I returned my free rental and tried to buy it at Game Rush. Sold out. Then I went to Best Buy, and bought their last floor copy (including end caps and displays).

Maximilian E. said:
Ninja Gaiden2 seems to be MS-funded (and pretty much everything Team Progressive is doing is MS-funded).. and lots of other stuff at Team Ninja is MS-funded as well...

MS funded games should mean a NO NO on other platforms.. (MS learned the hard way... they haven´t forgot the whole Level5 debacle)

How do you know that these games are MS-funded do you mean an exclusitivty contract or actually funded the project almost like a producer?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
snatches said:
I think this early in the console cycle a lot of decisions are made based on sales results....even of a single title. see: PS2.
True enough, so why are you and Capcom USA second guessing the parent company who seems to be calling it right thus far? :)

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
After beating NG a few weeks ago (for the first time, I didn't have an xbox, so I played it on 360) I will post a little comparison.

NG has better combat/gameplay.

NG has better graphics.

NG is more intense.

NG has better platforming (what little of it there is)

---------------------------------------

DMC has a better story

DMC has way cooler level designs and environments. They look so inspired and are fascinating to fight in.

DMC has better music

DMC has better voice acting

So there you go. I think it's settled. They're both equally good. DMC has the more artistic approach (pretty much a standard of capcom action games nowadays) while TN's game, NG, has a more gameplay and super fun approach.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Oh, and I really hope what this guy heard at the conference is true.

DMC4 on 360 is awesome. Now one less reason to buy a PS3. Last thing left: MGS4 multiplatform :lol

Amir0x

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
After beating NG a few weeks ago (for the first time, I didn't have an xbox, so I played it on 360) I will post a little comparison.

NG has better graphics.

NG is more intense.

DMC has a better story

DMC has way cooler level designs and environments. They look so inspired and are fascinating to fight in.

DMC has better music

So there you go. I think it's settled. They're both equally good. DMC has the more artistic approach (pretty much a standard of capcom action games nowadays) while TN's game, NG, has a more gameplay and super fun approach.

I don't really think it's settled. While I love Ninja Gaiden and its gameplay as well, I believe Devil May Cry's gameplay/combat is superior AND somewhat deeper. But, to each his/her own.

IAmNude

Banned
in the light darkness said:
so that makes one reason to buy a 360?

not that dmc4 will ever come to 360
if you already have a 360, and dmc comes to it, then it's one less reason to buy a ps3.

Wasn't there some talk from Sony that they were shunning third-part moneyhats this gen and instead investing that money in their first-part development?

snatches

Amir0x said:
I don't really think it's settled. While I love Ninja Gaiden and its gameplay as well, I believe Devil May Cry's gameplay/combat is superior AND somewhat deeper. But, to each his/her own.

They are both excellent and I truly hope that sequels to both come out for 360 and PS3.

IAmNude

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Wasn't there some talk from Sony that they were shunning third-part moneyhats this gen and instead investing that money in their first-part development?

yes. on OA. supposedly even ffxiii is coming to 360 too

3rdman

dirtmonkey37 said:

NG has better graphics.

NG is more intense.

DMC has a better story

DMC has better music

You realize that 3 of the 4 things you mention about DMC that you like are peripheral to the actual game?

Azih

NG = flip around like ninja SLASH SLASH
DMC = COMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Purely a matter of preference, I prefer flipping out myself.

Anyway this is a GOOD THING, New IP for the Win. Always. We need fresh blood desperately. I hope Lair, Bully, Mass Effect, Heavenly Sword, Lost Planet, Saints Row, all do well.

Capcom has shown by far the most hustle, they seem to have tried a brand new development process that allows for maximum reuse of assets and code and it has worked out amazingly well for them. Good stuff Capcom, you should be proud.

Top Bottom