• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom + 360 = Match made in sales heaven

Hunter D said:
That isn't porting if they start development of a game on PC and then finish up on the PS3 or 360.

Exactly. They're not talking about ports, they're talking about developing the core of the game in a non-partisan environment for as long as they can and then branch out the work console specifically when they have to.

Mojovonio said:
Ok, wrong wording, replace "port" with "transition".

Which would be pretty much every game ever designed, right? I mean from all the documentaries about game development I've ever seen, most of the work is done on PCs in the first place.

Ceb

jarrod said:
The point is, what's the logic in porting DR/LP for maybe 500k in extra JP sales (and even that's arguably best case), but not DMC4 for likely more western sales?

I'd say that a PS3 version of Dead Rising alone would probably sell more than DMC4 X360.

Chance for healthy sales in JPN/NA/EU > NA/EU(?)

Is that logical enough?

Mojovonio

Banned
Ceb said:
I'd say that a PS3 version of Dead Rising alone would probably sell more than DMC4 X360.

Chance for healthy sales in JPN/NA/EU > NA/EU(?)

Is that logical enough?

I don't think DR wouold sell well in Japan.

snatches

BenjaminBirdie said:
Exactly. They're not talking about ports, they're talking about developing the core of the game in a non-partisan environment for as long as they can and then branch out the work console specifically when they have to.

And once they have the tools in place it will be very economical to just do a 360/PS3 version in no time. This is exactly what every dev should be doing to offset higher development costs. We all win.

Wow, I'm actually surprised it's doing so well so quickly. I had this game pegged as a slow-burner, with sales starting fairly low and picking up over the course of the first six months through word of mouth....I guess it could still go that way, but having big sales to start is always good.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
snatches said:
Why are you taking the discussion in a circular pattern? The point is Capcom looks to be supporting the 360 company wide and making a lot of money doing it. Are you contesting this or arguing semantics?
Sorry, but the circular argument is your own: Dead Rising did well on the 360 therefore all Capcom next-gen projects should come to the 360 because they will sell well. One game doing well doesn't prove out performance for future titles. Pointing out Capcom's performance on the original Xbox highlights the fact that there is still merit to being selective about which games go to which platform, or how game projects targeted for a specific platform should be designed with an attentive eye to the demographics of that platform in the first place. I know proponents of multiplatform game development like yourself don't like to hear this, but it is what it is. If we ignore it then I guess we'd tell Capcom to make sure all of their handheld game projects get a version onto PSP, solely because of how Monster Hunter PSP sold.

Mojovonio

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Wow, I'm actually surprised it's doing so well so quickly. I had this game pegged as a slow-burner, with sales starting fairly low and picking up over the course of the first six months through word of mouth.

That is literally the reason why this game is doing so well. Everyone I know that bought it, bought it because I kept telling them about it.

"when is that zombie game coming out?" is all i'd hear. People forgot about GoW for a while.

snatches said:
he mentioned that Capcom USA is rallying Capcom Japan to release DMC4 for the 360 day and date with the PS3 version.

that really makes you wonder what kind of bots are working for capcom usa when they actually try to make capcom release a playstation exclusive series on xbox..

what would they gain from it other than a boost to their fanboy egos?

snatches

kaching said:
Sorry, but the circular argument is your own: Dead Rising did well on the 360 therefore all Capcom next-gen projects should come to the 360 because they will sell well.

I did not say this. I said Capcom's rep for my company said this was their stated goal in a conference call I sat in on. Secondly, using handhelds for comparison is very misleading. Third, the PS3 and 360 have the same core demographic that they are marketing to, and very comparable capabilities. Games suited to one are perfectly suited to the other, so I am still missing your point. Give me one Capcom IP that would be suited to the PS3 but not to the 360, to make your case please.

Mojovonio

Banned
in the light darkness said:
that really makes you wonder what kind of bots are working for capcom usa when they actually try to make capcom release a playstation exclusive series on xbox..

WTF are you talking about?

A multiplatform dev being fanboys?

Wow.

are you ****ing kidding me... THEY GET MONEY

You went from being cute to being super hot.

KingJ2002

multiplatform games ftw.

from a gamers point of view... i always hated the idea of exclusives.

if it does come and does well... i hope onimusha, okami, and street fighter (a man can dream cant he?) follow suit.

snatches

WTF.

JUST WTF.

Hunter D

then lets ask snatches

did the same dude say he's pushing for ps3 versions of dead rising and lost planet too? because they wanna make money.. right?
Why are you having a hard time understanding. MS has paid capcom money to keep deadrising exclusive to the 360 for the life of the console. You won't see it on any other system.

then lets ask snatches

did the same dude say he's pushing for ps3 versions of dead rising and lost planet too? because they wanna make money.. right?

Well the PS3 isn't out yet so uh...oh I give up.
I'm done trying to argue with this...this...oh forget it.

snatches said:
Give me one Capcom IP that would be suited to the PS3 but not to the 360, to make your case please.

Howabout Monster Hunter? A series unpopular in the US and Europe but very popular in Japan.

then lets ask snatches

They made their money when they made these games exclusive to 360 for all time.

Out of curiosity, does Sony have the same kind of branding for their exclusives? Are they all behind the scenes contracts? What's the deal?

then lets ask snatches

Because they want to make money on 360 versions, if they announced the PS3 and 360 version simultaneously some people would ending up waiting. They could have announced DMC on PS3/360 simultaneously with RE5, I wonder why they didn't ;)

Monster Hunter 3 too! Which is PS3 only so far

Hunter D said:
Why are you having a hard time understanding. MS has paid capcom money to keep deadrising exclusive to the 360 for the life of the console. You won't see it on any other system.

yeah and sony sure haven't paid any money for dmc4, they even revealed it at a ps event

Hunter D said:
full auto 2 on ps3 waves.

"Hi! I'm full auto 2. I contain all the levels and cars that were in the Xbox 360 exclusive Full Auto. I've get a few more levels, cars and game modes... but make no mistake, everything that was in the 360 game, is here."

snatches

then lets ask snatches

Here let me quote the conference call word for word:

OMG CAPCOM SEZ WE R ALL PUTTIN ALL GAMES ON TEH TREE SITTY

TREE SITTY ROXXORS

PS3 SUXXORS

KTHXBYE.

I was startled to say the least. ****ing fanboys.

All the people responding to "in the light darkness" are as dumb, if not dumber, than he/she is. Good job.

It's like an outdated troll from '97 in need of a firmware upgrade.

Hunter D

yeah and sony sure haven't paid any money for dmc4, they even revealed it at a ps event
If capcom USA is asking for a 360 version of DMC4 one would have to assume that sony hasn't paid any money to keep DMC exclusive to the PS3.

snatches said:
Here let me quote the conference call word for word:

OMG CAPCOM SEZ WE R ALL PUTTIN ALL GAMES ON TEH TREE SITTY

TREE SITTY ROXXORS

PS3 SUXXORS

KTHXBYE.

I was startled to say the least. ****ing fanboys.

thats basically what your fist post said except for the leet speak

Because one game sells well in a single region, all of a sudden they're going to change their worldwide development strategy??

I think they'd likely wait to see how the PS3 and Wii launches go before they complete juggle thier development pipelines, especially with how important the worldwide market is to them.

snatches

Hunter D said:
If capcom USA is asking for a 360 version of DMC4 one would have to assume that sony hasn't paid any money to keep DMC exclusive to the PS3.

Bonus points to you sir for being the only person so far to realize the obviousness of this. However, this wouldn't stop Sony from writing them a check now, would it? It remains to be seen.

Hunter D said:

Or they just aren't in the loop with the Japanese division which isn't anything new.

Arsenal

Speevy said:
Common sense? Sinking millions of dollars into a 360 port of a game that probably won't sell on the 360 is a waste of resources.

A FF port would not be money wasted though, not all JRPGs will sell on the 360, but FF has a big enough following in NA that it would certainly make money. Of course, it all depends on how big that profit number is and if Sony will continue to offset that potential profit to keep the title exclusive. FFXI has been in the top ten 360 games since it was released earlier this year and I'm sure the online capabilities of the 360 are not lost on SE.

Hunter D

plagiarize said:

"Hi! I'm full auto 2. I contain all the levels and cars that were in the Xbox 360 exclusive Full Auto. I've get a few more levels, cars and game modes... but make no mistake, everything that was in the 360 game, is here."
Notice how the title is full auto 2 and not full auto? Technically it is a different game because of the added content and of course the change of name.

snatches said:
Bonus points to you sir for being the only person so far to realize the obviousness of this. However, this wouldn't stop Sony from writing them a check now, would it? It remains to be seen.

I really doubt Capcom USA is aware of the internal affairs of the company. Does Capcom USA even make gameS? Their job is to translate text and market the game...

<nu>faust said:
nope it's a multi-platform one ( ps3/360/pc )

no it isn't

COMMENT ON RECENT MEDIA REPORT

Tokyo, Japan (July 18, 2006) - Square Enix Co., Ltd (&#8220;the Company&#8221;). wishes to comment on a specific media report, dated July 14, stating that the Company is developing a sequel to its online game title, FINAL FANTASY® XI, and plans to release the title on three platforms - the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., the Xbox 360TM video game and entertainment system, and Windows Vista TM the next-generation PC operating system from Microsoft Corporation.

The Company did not make such an announcement and has not made any decisions resembling those detailed in the media report.

As the Company announced in May 2005, it is currently developing an online title for next-generation platforms including game consoles and PCs (ps3 and Vista http://ps3.ign.com/articles/702/702289p1.html); however, this title is being developed as a completely new MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online RPG). We will disclose further details of this title, including platform compatibility, immediately after any relevant decisions are made.

In addition, the Company continuously plans to release expansion packs for FINAL FANTASY XI, available on PlayStation®2, Xbox 360, and Windows®, as well as perform version updates.

Hunter D said:
Notice how the title is full auto 2 and not full auto? Technically it is a different game because of the added content and of course the change of name.
yes. and technically they could add a bit of content to dead rising, call it deader rising and release it exclusively on ps3 despite the first being an xbox 360 exclusive.

that's my point. there are loop holes, which Full Auto 2 shows pretty well.

Uncle

Mojovonio said:
No, its just a very American designed game. Kenji Inafune stated something along those lines as well, IIRC.

I think that the story goes something like this: MS wanted games designed for the japanese market from Capcom, but Capcom declined, because they wanted to make games that appeal to the whole world (including Japan). And now we are getting LP and DR.

Hunter D said:

so if they gave dead rising a new title like dead rising: the dead awakes :)lol) and add a new store to the mall they could release it on ps3? awesome

plagiarize said:

I think comparing this course of action taken with a racing game to the potential for the same course of action to a game like Dead Rising is a little shaky to the say the least.

Could Dead Rising 2: I'm Killing To Disneyworld be multiplatform? Undoubtedly. But Zombies In A Mall will undoubtedly be 360 for life.

Ponn

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
I really doubt Capcom USA is aware of the internal affairs of the company. Does Capcom USA even make gameS? Their job is to translate text and market the game...

They gave them a chance with Maximo, which turned out good, then they were sabotaged with Final Fight Streetwise.

Odysseus

Banned
capcom usa being xbots sound way more possible than sony not paying any money for dmc

Holy crap, dude, Capcom USA is not a collection of Xbots.

Junior member status confirmed.

cvxfreak

Doom_Bringer said:

I believe they were responsible for Street Fighter Alpha Anthology.

KingJ2002

Doom_Bringer said:

Capcom USA owns both Street Fighter & Final Fight IP

they did make streetwise though... so it shows they did something.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I think comparing this course of action taken with a racing game to the potential for the same course of action to a game like Dead Rising is a little shaky to the say the least.

Could Dead Rising 2: I'm Killing To Disneyworld be multiplatform? Undoubtedly. But Zombies In A Mall will undoubtedly be 360 for life.
that wouldn't be the same though as Full Auto 2 contains all the cars and tracks from the xbox 360 version.

Top Bottom