• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Event Monster Hunter May 31st

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Right and if MH4U had sold bad on 3DS it would have been the time to finally strike to build popularity in the US. So either way we get the same PS4 conclusion.

Sony blocked Capcom from localizing Portable 3rd HD.

As to the bolded: I don't think we've heard any rumblings whatsoever. Can you give an example?

However I do think a Sony platform release is a strong possibility, but I'm not sure we'll get PS4 level assets. They will want to have assets usable for the portable games which are the guaranteed money makers.

Its a self manufactured rumbling, just like the self-manufactured rumor of the contract lasting for a period of time.

What I expect:

- MH Frontier 2 for PC&PS4
- F2P
- no English release

Joke's on you Capcom, I highly doubt you could still disappoint me with these expectations.
(please don't try)

Nanashrew

Banned
What I expect:

- MH Frontier 2 for PC&PS4
- F2P
- no English release

Joke's on you Capcom, I highly doubt you can still disappoint me with these expectations.
(please don't try)

Nothing beats Mega Man Legends 3 for me where Capcom outright blamed the fans.

The most I would expect on the PS4 platform would be MH4U HD. MH may of found a foot in the western market but the vast majority of its sales still come from handhelds and so it will stay there.

mclem

As it stands now, I think most people just want to see a current graphic version of a MH.

No matter what platforms we're eventually going to be talking about, I suspect it's a good idea to drop that hope right away. I think Capcom would be very sceptical about whether such an upgrade would be worth the investment, given those assets aren't going to be useful on handhelds any time soon.

Takao

Banned
You know, a Monster Hunter-themed take on Super Puzzle Fighter wouldn't be so bad.

This is the final non-Frontier Monster Hunter game on PlayStation:

4ZZnIze.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkjSRmqcnGU

Wynnebeck

Banned
Its a self manufactured rumbling, just like the self-manufactured rumor of the contract lasting for a period of time.

Please don't spoil the narrative.
It is a beautiful tale, even if it is from some ass.

And I'm out after this. It's obvious people are going to poo poo anything MH that's not on 3DS or Wii U at this point so I'll just wait until after the event. If Capcom indeed brings something to Vita/PS4, it only shows Capcom is trying to spread MH instead of pleasing Nintendo fans.

Orayn

And I'm out after this. It's obvious people are going to poo poo anything MH that's not on 3DS or Wii U at this point so I'll just wait until after the event. If Capcom indeed brings something to Vita/PS4, it only shows Capcom is trying to spread MH instead of pleasing Nintendo fans.

Did you read my post? I'm hopeful just like you, but I understand why Capcom might not be eager to invest a relatively large amount of resources to make a new MH game on a platform other than the one where it's currently making bank. (MHO and the rumored MHF2 are a bit different by virtue of being outsourced.)

Could you please share with us the reasoning for which bringing a mainline MH entry on PS4 would be the best investment for Capcom?

Capcom is already trying to spread MH, since it is the most successful platform in Japan and worldwide; MH4 sold more than expected in Japan, and had the best debut ever in Western markets. What is exactly your point?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Every singletime there is a Monster Hunter thread, it always get derailed by Sony port beg ughhh...

rpmurphy

What, wasn't one of the core goals in the partnership with Nintendo was to spread MH in other regions? Like for NoA and NoE to accomplish what SCEA and SCEE didn't? Has the narrative changed or something? Did NoA and NoE suddenly failed to meet Capcom's expectations?

Looking forward to playing Monster Hunter 5 on my 3DS.
Well have fun. I'll be playing it on the Nontendo 4DS.
PbMyL92.jpg

Shauni

Okay, so basically what's being said here is that the "rumblings" you referenced are fucking nothing then, right? God, it's so silly how these discussions always turn into not-so-subtle digs on Nintendo fans, when really it has zilch to do with anything being talked about.

test_account

XP-39C²
I remember hearing additional things like Tri was originally meant for the PS3. If I'm wrong I'll retract my statement though.
It was, but it was made for the Wii instead because of "high developement cost on the PS3":

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/monster-hunter-3-now-wii-exclusive/1100-6180675

Sony blocked Capcom from localizing Portable 3rd HD.
Capcom didnt make it properly compatible for western PS3s. Its using a service thats only on japanese PS3s (maybe other asian countries too).

Oregano

It was, but it was made for the Wii instead because of "high developement cost on the PS3":

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/monster-hunter-3-now-wii-exclusive/1100-6180675

Capcom didnt make it properly compatible for western PS3s. Its using a service thats only on japanese PS3s (maybe other asian countries too).

They also blocked it because it was single PSP remaster and they only allowed collections.

Either way if Sony cared they should have put in the work. That's what third party relations are about.

Syril

They also blocked it because it was single PSP remaster and they only allowed collections.

Either way if Sony cared they should have put in the work. That's what third party relations are about.

Yeah, Sony's broken their own rules before, like when they let Yakuza games get physical releases here without English dubs.

test_account

XP-39C²

I dont think that would be much of a hurdle to overcome. I would guess that the technical aspect was the biggest reason.

Yeah, they could technically have done it, i just wanted to mention that it wasnt just a case of blocking something trivial.

Yeah, Sony's broken their own rules before, like when they let Yakuza games get physical releases here without English dubs.
That is a pretty trivial thing, its not a technical reason. Well, they could have said that they could release a game that wouldnt work properly, but that is a pretty big rule to break.

Oregano

I dont think that would be much of a hurdle to overcome. I would guess that the technical aspect was the biggest reason.

Yeah, they could technically have done it, i just wanted to mention that it wasnt just a case of blocking something trivial.

That is a pretty trivial thing, its not a technical reason. Well, they could have said that they could release a game that wouldnt work properly, but that is a pretty big rule to break.

They could have just made ad hoc party available worldwide, that seems pretty simple.

It's hard to defend Sony on this when the Frankenstick is a thing.

test_account

XP-39C²
They could have just made ad hoc party available worldwide, that seems pretty simple.

It's hard to defend Sony on this when the Frankenstick is a thing.
I have no idea how easy or hard it is, so i cant say much about that.

Yeah, it should have been possible to find a solution back then. I just wanted to mention that it wasnt something simple that just allowing a game that wasnt dubbed or something simple like that.

Meffer

What, wasn't one of the core goals in the partnership with Nintendo was to spread MH in other regions? Like for NoA and NoE to accomplish what SCEA and SCEE didn't? Has the narrative changed or something? Did NoA and NoE suddenly failed to meet Capcom's expectations?

Well have fun. I'll be playing it on the Nontendo 4DS.
PbMyL92.jpg
No. If anything it exceeded their expectation.

I have no idea how easy or hard it is, so i cant say much about that.

Yeah, it should have been possible to find a solution back then. I just wanted to mention that it wasnt something simple that just allowing a game that wasnt dubbed or something simple like that.

It's just show that Sony didn't care at all about the biggest game that ever graced one of its platforms in Japan.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Thats a terrible excuse to leave the thread after not being able to provide what's the "rumbling" you have heard. But hey, not stopping you there.

2thepoint

With the way Sony and Capcom are extra cosy now, I wouldn't be surprised if they are bringing Monster Hunter to PS4.

A.J.

Banned
If Capcom wants the franchise to sell then wouldn't it be better if it was on both Sony and Nintendo platforms? Why is it limited to one side?

Wiggy

After reading this thread I cant wait for this event. I didn't realise how touchy people get about MH. No matter what happens there will be meltdowns.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
If Capcom wants the franchise to sell then wouldn't it be better if it was on both Sony and Nintendo platforms? Why is it limited to one side?

The handheld series sells primally in Japan is a huge local coop series. Investing in a secondary platform may not be worth it.

The handheld series sells primally in Japan is a huge local coop series. Investing in a secondary platform may not be worth it.

Then Capcom can do PS4/PSV/PC. PSV for Japan, PS4/PC for everywhere else. Considering how easy it is to develop game for both PS4 and PSV I don't see this is impossible.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Then Capcom can do PS4/PSV/PC. PSV for Japan, PS4/PC for everywhere else. Considering how easy it is to develop game for both PS4 and PSV I don't see this is impossible.

The point isn't if it is easy. The point is even if it is easy it might not be worth it from a financial perspective.

MH will sell anywhere regardless. MH fans follow their games not the system. Also PS4 version would do some decent numbers in Japan as well.

Maybe next gen . Does not make sense to move when the 3DS userbase is still active. The next MH game will most likely be the last main line MH on 3DS (outside of a possible G version).

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe next gen . Does not make sense to move when the 3DS userbase is still active. The next MH game will most likely be the last main line MH on 3DS (outside of a possible G version).

I can see a cross 3DS/Successor version.

Top Bottom