• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom files trademark for "Monster Hunter: World" in U.S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
The title makes no sense for a localized version of XX so I guess this is a new spin off. I hope it's not open world.

Eolz

But then how would taking a franchise that has a small loyal fan base in the west and then bastardized the game to make it more appealing to the west make any sense at all? If this is a player for western gamers then Sony is wasting money. If it's a play for Japanese gamers then it was a horrible deal. Either way it makes zero sense.

Remember Devil may Cry? The game that tried to appeal to a bigger western audience, and ended up selling less?
Or Lost Planet 3?

The salt when the 4chan rumor is debunked and everyone learns that Nintendo still has MonHun exclusivity is going to be insane.

Dinda

Monster Hunter on PS4 maybe PC etc (which i think this is) should make me really happy. But i also think that would destroy all hope of Dragon's Dogma 2.......which would be the most awful thing to happen.

Buckle

It will probably be PS4/X1/PC.
If we got a MH announced for PC (western release), that would probably end up being the biggest E3 freak out I've had in a long time.

I don't dare hope though. Gotten so used to them being glued to Nintendo at this point. Will just wait and see.

The title makes no sense for a localized version of XX so I guess this is a new spin off. I hope it's not open world.
We have to accept it. I know it sucks but it's happening. Why else would they call it MH World? That kinda confirms in my mind that it's going to be open world.

I could see Sony going to Capcom after SF5 and say 'you owe us for SF5 failing so bad.' Making the game big for Japan by making it more Western does not make one lick of sense, though

Yep, that's the biggie. I think a western MH just falls in line with Capcoms intention of trying to grow the series in the west.

Have a traditional one on Switch. Have a spin-off for the west. I think that's probably one of the smarter ways to do the western expansion.

Orayn

If we're going to wildly throw out additional possibilities, what if they worked with Tencent to retool MH Online somewhat for a global multiplat release? That would probably cost much less money than a dramatic re-imagining of the series and still serve to help establish MH overseas.

Eolz

Monster Hunter on PS4 maybe PC etc (which i think this is) should make me really happy. But i also think that would destroy all hope of Dragon's Dogma 2.......which would be the most awful thing to happen.

DD2 has already been confirmed countless times as Dragon's Dogma Online. A game that Capcom still says it'll bring to the west someday.

edit:
Neither of those franchises were cultural phenomenons in Japan.
I was replying about all the "west" part of the post. Japan won't care, not the first spinoff they're getting, nor the last. As long as they have XX, V, etc...

We have to accept it. I know it sucks but it's happening. Why else would they call it MH World? That kinda confirms in my mind that it's going to be open world.

I'd be up for it, but I want to know exactly how it would work. Divided maps named by numbers is crucial for team work.

Arzehn

People bringing up the 4chan rumor as truth has me cringing. If we took into account all of gaffers predictions we'd all be "insiders" at some point.

Dev friend from Capcom Japan that plays WoW? Or, if it's a western company then what the hell would he know about internal strife halfway across the planet?

Gimme a break.

Buckle

I dont get it, if the rumor is real, why would there be meltdowns? Who would it be?

The rumor says PS4 gets a main MH game with changes to appeal to the west and Switch gets a main MH game similar to the old ones.

Sounds good for everybody, unless Xbox and PC players all of a sudden want MH
I'd be worried what those changes would be though.

If it's still a hardcore MH game but with aesthetic differences, I'd be down for that.

Bald space marines vs galactic Zinogre. Lets do this.

Neonep

Yep, that's the biggie. I think a western MH just falls in line with Capcoms intention of trying to grow the series in the west.

Have a traditional one on Switch. Have a spin-off for the west. I think that's probably one of the smarter ways to do the western expansion.

I'm real sick of this westernization shit, that shit damn near killed Devil May Cry. They should just make the game as they would any other MH game. There is a reason why people love the series so much as it is right now.

I'd be up for it, but I want to know exactly how it would work. Divided maps named by numbers is crucial for team work.
I agree the numbered sections add a lot of fun to the game and you learn which zone they like to go to and where they start. Maybe they could make it open world but still on the map they are in numbered areas?

Kyoufu

What does "Western" mean anyway? Just makes me think of Capcom's PS2 "Western audience" game Shadow of Rome.

It doesn't really have a definition. There's no western MH to compare it to so I don't even get the negative stigma attached to that here on this forum.

The salt when the 4chan rumor is debunked and everyone learns that Nintendo still has MonHun exclusivity is going to be insane.

Oh there is certainly gonna be some drama at E3.

Ajm9Bl6.gif

Jawmuncher

I'm real sick of this westernization shit, that shit damn near killed Devil May Cry. They should just make the game as they would any other MH game. There is a reason why people love the series so much as it is right now.

I'm guessing they aren't seeing as much growth in the west as they would like in the series.

Thoraxes

Real fans wait to see how the game plays before they decide if they care or not. :eek:

While i'll wait to give it a fair shake gameplay-wise, I'm not really interested in a non-handheld entry of the game. Don't want to have to hook up 4 PS4s and 4 TVs in order to play in the same room with my friends, and definitely do not want to have to buy PS+ just to play it.

sinonobu

Banned
Why are some people against this? New MH that targets Western market seems like a good decision by Capcom for both fans and their intent to spread the franchise.

So it's a PS4 game that's not a MMO and will cause all sides to have a meltdown? Very interesting. My best guess is that it'll be a spiritual successor to Dragon's Dogma by Itsuno, but I don't know if that'd be enough for meltdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom