• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom files trademark for "Monster Hunter: World" in U.S

Status
Not open for further replies.

phanphare

Banned
Calling the Western-focused reboot MH:World while keeping the numbered series on Switch would make for the safest solution for Capcom imho
Try to expand the series to mainstream western audience with a new spin off series, while keeping the mainline series where the fanbase already is, especially in Japan.

yeah and the "World" branding is really perfect here for obvious reasons

Midas

I dont get it, if the rumor is real, why would there be meltdowns? Who would it be?

The rumor says PS4 gets a main MH game with changes to appeal to the west and Switch gets a main MH game similar to the old ones.

Sounds good for everybody, unless Xbox and PC players all of a sudden want MH

What is it that needs to be changed to appeal to the west? I haven't played a MH game, so I'm not trying to be an ass here.

sinonobu

Banned
Calling the Western-focused reboot MH:World while keeping the numbered series on Switch would make for the safest solution for Capcom imho
Try to expand the series to mainstream western audience with a new spin off series, while keeping the mainline series where the fanbase already is, especially in Japan.

Yeah. The iffy part of the rumor was Capcom attaching mainline title to the Westernized MH.
Semi-rebooting the franchise with MH:World and keeping the mainline on Switch (or 3ds) seems like perfect business strategy.

So this the PS4 open world one most likely? And the West friendly combat?

West friendly combat? I get a lot of people overseas might find it clunky but the combat is what makes it Monster Hunter. If they made it more "West friendly", it would not be Monster Hunter.

Yeah. The iffy part of the rumor was Capcom attaching mainline title to the Westernized MH.
Semi-rebooting the franchise with MH:World and keeping the mainline on Switch (or 3ds) seems like perfect business strategy.

As long as we get Switch versions. I want to lay my 3DS to rest, dammit.

Keasar

Best case scenario:
PC/PS4/Switch (personally, preferably with PC as I would have then people to play this with)
Open world, like a proper giant hunting ground instead of this weird instanced stuff.
Graphics that looks next-gen and this time rendered on a screen that doesnt make monsters look like a pile of random pixels when further than 30 meters way.
:)

Most likely scenario:
Mobile
F2P
Tap the monster repeatedly to beat it.
:(

Kyoufu

"real MH fans" also don't care about spinoffs that don't look like the classic gameplay, like they didn't care about Frontier, Online, Stories, etc.

Real fans wait to see how the game plays before they decide if they care or not. :eek:

antonz

Wait, what's the rumor? Can someone explain what's happening?

The rumor was Sony paid for Exclusivity on the Next Monster Hunter game but during the process Ppeople within Capcom had serious doubts and fears so the Main Monster hunter Team was tasked with a new Switch Monster Hunter that will be traditional Monster Hunter instead of the Westernized Monster Hunter

Oregano

Wow and he is always getting heat from the Nintendo fan base. No wonder he was always so confident in his prediction.

I know, I argued with him a lot myself because I thought a straight up MH5 multiplatform seemed a lot more likely. Seems I was wrong, so wrong...

Sandfox

West friendly combat? I get a lot of people overseas might find it clunky but the combat is what makes it Monster Hunter. If they made it more "West friendly", it would not be Monster Hunter.
Off the top of my head the rumor said that they would be simplifying the weapons, adding quick time events, removing missions, and removing gathering. There's more stuff, but I would need to see the rumor again.

Eolz

It's most likely the western name for Monster Hunter Frontier Z which came out in japan on ps4 back in nov 2016.

Why would Frontier ever be localized, and why would even want to play it?

Real fans wait to see how the game plays before they decide if they care or not. :eek:

Which is what I'm saying. "Real fans" won't jump on it just because it's called MonHun.

Anastasis

The rumor was Sony paid for Exclusivity on the Next Monster Hunter game but during the process Ppeople within Capcom had serious doubts and fears so the Main Monster hunter Team was tasked with a new Switch Monster Hunter that will be traditional Monster Hunter instead of the Westernized Monster Hunter

Sony made a contract for Westernised Monster Hunter. Was originally MH5.

Nintendo gets MHXX for Switch and MH Portable 5. Now will probably be MH5.

Thank you all!

Hmm, well, we'll see. I'll be pretty bemused if the 4chan rumor turns out to be mostly correct, though less so than if this Westernized MH were actually called MH5.

Orayn

There are a variety of possibilities for what this could be, but I always thought it would make significantly more sense for a potential open world/West-oriented MH to be the spinoff and the numbered MH games to continue along their previous trajectory. The "Oh PS4 gets the REAL Monster Hunter now! Everything else is a side series!" element was always the single most far-fetched element of that 4chan MH rumor. Capcom make some bad decisions but I don't think they'd put all their eggs in that particular basket.

Uh oh "huge internal strife at capcom"

I don't think this game will end up being any good if the leak is true.

I have some concerns when it comes to Capcom's recent console outings. SFV came out half-baked and MvCi has me skeptical especially given the leaked roster and how visually boring it looks compared to MVC3. RE7 was great though so I'm 50/50 on whether this will even turn out good at all.

Mafro

What is it that needs to be changed to appeal to the west? I haven't played a MH game, so I'm not trying to be an ass here.
Combat
Crafting
Gathering
Quest structure
Open world rather than segmented maps

Basically a lot of things that makes the game what it is.

sinonobu

Banned
There are a variety of possibilities for what this could be, but I always thought it would make significantly more sense for a potential open world/West-oriented MH to be the spinoff and the numbered MH games to continue along their previous trajectory. The "Oh PS4 gets the REAL Monster Hunter now! Everything else is a side series!" element was always the most far-fetched element of that 4chan MH rumor.

I don't think this is a spin-off but more of a soft-reboot of a franchise to appeal to the Western market.

If the original rumor was:
*MH5 on PS4
*Monster Hunter Portable 5th on Switch
And MH PS4 is seemingly now called MH World would that mean MH5 will be the Switch game?
The rumor always sounded like a dumb idea, but I believed it due to it being Capcom. I guess we'll see in the upcoming months

I have some concerns when it comes to Capcom's recent console outings. SFV came out half-baked and MvCi has me skeptical especially given the leaked roster and how visually boring it looks compared to MVC3. RE7 was great though so I'm 50/50 on whether this will even turn out good at all.

Yeah seriously. And they're gonna be staring down the barrel of Horizon too. It's gonna be tough to top that.

Yeah I know they aren't exactly the same, but everyone knows gamers will compare the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom